2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

'13 Callaway X Forged Iron Pics (updated 2/2/13 w/ more Pics)

GolfWRX

So I go to my local golf store to ogle the gear, and sure enough they have a 6 iron demo X Forged!!!! I ask to swing her, and the nice gentleman ushers me to the bay. I'm wearing sandals and a button up t shirt that I would be knocked on by my friends for shopping at the baby gap. You know what I'm talking about. I do a few quick stretches and address the ball. The swing is terrible. I top the ball and the shot is such a worm burner, it doesn't register on the flightscope. I look back to give a little smile to the 2 guys watching. First teebox I say.

My pre shot routine jumps back into my head, back from the little vacation it took when the pure exitement of getting to test drive this exotic beast clouded all rational thought. 1,2,3,4 contact!!!! Follow through and hold the finish. Pulled it a little left of center, but 193 carry? 204 total? This can't be true. Reload, now let er rip. Still a left of center pull, but this time only 7-8 yds off center. 191 carry and 200 total. But wait a minute, this is a 6 iron. My 6 is normally my 180-190 stick. I ask for a glove and the man obliges. I say to myself, "this time, a little more inside on the take away." After I make contact I can tell that this one is going to be flushed.

The ball starts a bit right of center but starts to draw perfectly. It carries 197 yards and finishes at 209 yards. My swing speed is 88 mph. Let me remind you, I'm in a small shirt and sandals. Now at this point I realize that I can't live without these marvels of beauty and technology. I hit around 20 more shots. I try fades, big slices, low draws and big hooks to see what she can do. All come off of the face with that "mantequilla" like feeling that we all dream of. I'm in love.

Now I go through my days feeling incomplete. Like a big part of me is missing. Everywhere I turn, I see chrome gleaming in the sun. I quickly look back and it is gone. And I swear last night I could hear the wind saying "CAAALLLLAAAWAAAAYYY"!!!!! So I made up my mind a few minutes ago, I will have these clubs. They will be mine, oh yes, they will be mine.

So in closing, great freakin job Callaway. In my opinion, after hitting a 6 iron off of a practice mat in sandals, I think that you have made one of the best clubs to ever be swung. So pure, so beautiful, so perfect. Now does anyone want to buy a kidney?

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Jackjv21' timestamp='1359514323' post='6326737']
So I go to my local golf store to ogle the gear, and sure enough they have a 6 iron demo X Forged!!!! I ask to swing her, and the nice gentleman ushers me to the bay. I'm wearing sandals and a button up t shirt that I would be knocked on by my friends for shopping at the baby gap. You know what I'm talking about. I do a few quick stretches and address the ball. The swing is terrible. I top the ball and the shot is such a worm burner, it doesn't register on the flightscope. I look back to give a little smile to the 2 guys watching. First teebox I say.

My pre shot routine jumps back into my head, back from the little vacation it took when the pure exitement of getting to test drive this exotic beast clouded all rational thought. 1,2,3,4 contact!!!! Follow through and hold the finish. Pulled it a little left of center, but 193 carry? 204 total? This can't be true. Reload, now let er rip. Still a left of center pull, but this time only 7-8 yds off center. 191 carry and 200 total. But wait a minute, this is a 6 iron. My 6 is normally my 180-190 stick. I ask for a glove and the man obliges. I say to myself, "this time, a little more inside on the take away." After I make contact I can tell that this one is going to be flushed.

The ball starts a bit right of center but starts to draw perfectly. It carries 197 yards and finishes at 209 yards. My swing speed is 88 mph. Let me remind you, I'm in a small shirt and sandals. Now at this point I realize that I can't live without these marvels of beauty and technology. I hit around 20 more shots. I try fades, big slices, low draws and big hooks to see what she can do. All come off of the face with that "mantequilla" like feeling that we all dream of. I'm in love.

Now I go through my days feeling incomplete. Like a big part of me is missing. Everywhere I turn, I see chrome gleaming in the sun. I quickly look back and it is gone. And I swear last night I could hear the wind saying "CAAALLLLAAAWAAAAYYY"!!!!! So I made up my mind a few minutes ago, I will have these clubs. They will be mine, oh yes, they will be mine.

So in closing, great freakin job Callaway. In my opinion, after hitting a 6 iron off of a practice mat in sandals, I think that you have made one of the best clubs to ever be swung. So pure, so beautiful, so perfect. Now does anyone want to buy a kidney?
[/quote]

Welcome !! from the new Callaway 2013! Uh, both kidney's okay...thanks!

Callaway Mavrik SZ 9.0 VA Composites Nemesys 65 04
Callaway Mavrik SZ 15 VA Composites Nemesys 75 04
Callaway Mavrik Pro Hybrid 18* Veylix Rome 888 S
Callaway 2019 Apex Pro DOT 4-PW Mits MMT 125 TX/ Vega Mizar Tour Oban CT 115 X
Odyssey WHP #3-Stability Tour, Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2.5, Toulon Long Island Garage-Stability Shaft
Callaway MD5 Jaws Tour Grey 50/54/58 and  Cobra Tour Versatile 50/54/58 Mitsubishi MMT 125TX Graphite
Lamkin Sonar Plus Wrap

WITB Link

[quote name='dirthead' timestamp='1359377150' post='6313421']
[quote name='JDorfler' timestamp='1359323811' post='6310257']
How is the feel compared to the MBs?
[/quote]

I went to the 2013 X Forged irons with PX Pxi shafts from a set of X Protos with PX Flighted. Shafts in both sets were 6.0's. I'm going to assume the X Protos and Razr X MB's feel the same. From my experience playing the new irons about a month now, I will say to me, the MB's feel slightly softer and slightly more "crisp". Now that difference could be from the shafts. The difference in feel is very slight, but it is noticeable. The X Forged irons are a little bit more forgiving and they are very soft and crisp, just a tad below that of the MB's, in my opinion. The X Forged are fantastic clubs and I'm not planning to switch back to my protos.
[/quote]

Mine arrive yesterday with the PXI 6.0 shafts and I played 9 holes with the that same afternoon. The weight was noticeable and to me after one quick session at the course will take some adjusting to. I am going to give the PXI a few more rounds and range time to see how the weight really has affected things. the irons themselves are look great and the feel is really good. I am reserving my full verdict until I have had some more game time with these. The heads are keepers but the shafts may not be. Time will tell.

My current 6 is a Razr X Tour. I have to say that was the most flush shot I hit. Didn't swing hard, just flush. My current 6 is my 180-190 stick. What's weird, is the Forged is 1 degree weaker than the Tour, so you would think shorter distance. This is not the case. Again, that shot was crushed, but crushed without swinging harder than usual. I was still averaged 205 out of around 30 shots. INCREDABLE!!!!!

[quote name='Jackjv21' timestamp='1359676571' post='6340001']
Went again today. Holy moly!!!!! A freakin 6 iron!!!!![attachment=1515661:image.jpg]
[/quote]

Reading all the review these are the real deal,

But I'm suspect of those sim numbers, am I reading the spin numbers of 2600 rpms, that's really low for a 6 iron
As a compare to PGA players (not optimum but average) a PGA player has this numbers on his #6 iron.

Club speed = 92 mph
Ball speed = 127 mph
PTR = 1:38
Angle of attack = - 4.1*
Launch angle = 14.1*
Backspin = 6231
Apex = 30 yards
Descent = 50 *
Carry = 183 yards
Roll out = 2.2 yards ( 1.2 % of total)
Total 185.2 yards

Just be careful , when you test that callayway mb iron on that sim, the distances hit in the sim may not translate onto the course. That club head speed doesn't equate to the carry distance it's showing. Not attacking you in anyway sir, just don't want you to be disappointed with your future purchase. Distances aside, looks like its a performace increase over your current equipment

Overhaul 

Driver Testing 

3w Stealth 2 + 15* Ventus Red 9x tipped 2" 43”  

2i TMAG P790 2i Hzdus 100g X  

Titleist MB 620 3-PW (47* PW) PX 7.0 Std Length -2 flat from Titleist Spec 

Vokey - Testing 

Putter  OPEN  

I agree I am VERY leery of the sim #'s. I feel better on a Trackman/Flightscope. Two mths ago I was trying the MP-64/PXi 6.0 I was getting 92-93mph w/ 6i and excellent L/A & Spin, I was getting 186-188 carry. A 210yd 6i, your s/s will be in the 98-100mph area,

Callaway B21 9* Diamana Kai'Li 70S (Callaway RFE 9* Diamana Kai'Li 70s backup)
RFE 16.5* 4 wood Diamana Kai'Li 80S
RFE 21.5* 7 wood UST V2 Tour 86gr
Apex 4/Apex Pro 5-PW H45 heads Aerotech i110
Callaway MD3 52-10/58-09 S Grind
Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5 2016

Instagram Link
https://www.instagram.com/michaelfrederickphotography/?hl=en
[twitter]BigDudeGuy72[/twitter]

[quote name='dirthead' timestamp='1359377150' post='6313421']
[quote name='JDorfler' timestamp='1359323811' post='6310257']
How is the feel compared to the MBs?
[/quote]

I went to the 2013 X Forged irons with PX Pxi shafts from a set of X Protos with PX Flighted. Shafts in both sets were 6.0's. I'm going to assume the X Protos and Razr X MB's feel the same. From my experience playing the new irons about a month now, I will say to me, the MB's feel slightly softer and slightly more "crisp". Now that difference could be from the shafts. The difference in feel is very slight, but it is noticeable. The X Forged irons are a little bit more forgiving and they are very soft and crisp, just a tad below that of the MB's, in my opinion. The X Forged are fantastic clubs and I'm not planning to switch back to my protos.
[/quote]
Thank you, sir.

Anyone know why these irons rated so low in the FEEL category on the Golf Digest Hot List? They rated Gold overall, but only *** stars in feel. ?

[i][b]In the Bag:[/b][/i]
Driver - Ping 430 Max 10.5 Degree - Tensei 1K Blue Regular 45"

Fairway Woods: Wilson Dynapower (2023) 5 and 7 woods
Irons: 6 - PW trade between Titleist T200 Steel Fiber i110s, and Wilson Staffs +1" - Shafts Project X LZ 5.5
Hybrids: Ping G425 26 degree Titleist TSi2 17 and 23 degree…..Shaft Project X 90 Hyb +1"
PW: Wilson Staff Custom 52 SW: Cleveland CBX Full Face 56 10 bounce
Putter: Jon Rham Limited Naked Rossie 
Ball: Wilson Staff, Pro V or Callaway Chrome Soft
Bag: Datrek 

Cart: Bagboy Quad

[quote name='toddba11' timestamp='1359742964' post='6344411']
Anyone know why these irons rated so low in the FEEL category on the Golf Digest Hot List? They rated Gold overall, but only *** stars in feel. ?
[/quote]

Because feel is 100% subjective?

EDIT: The heads are forged by ENDO, which has one of the best ratings among golf nuts for forgings. IMO, the PXi are a "feel good" shaft as well. Putting them together seems like a match made in heaven (on paper) but maybe the reviewer didn't agree. Or maybe Callaway didn't pony up enough $$ to warrant a 5 star rating, who knows.

I'd be interested to see the other 'feel' ratings as well, and give a direct comparison if possible.

Ping G400 Max UST Proforce V2
TM M5 15* UST Proforce V2
Callaway Apex UW 19* PX HZRDUS Smoke Black
Srixon ZX5 - 4&5 MMT 105

Srixon ZX7 - 6-PW MMT 105
Edel SMS 50V/54V/58T Nippon 125
Odyssey MXM #1W

[quote name='hayzooos' timestamp='1359745066' post='6344653']
[/quote]

EDIT: The heads are forged by ENDO, which has one of the best ratings among golf nuts for forgings. IMO, the PXi are a "feel good" shaft as well. Putting them together seems like a match made in heaven (on paper) but maybe the reviewer didn't agree. Or maybe Callaway didn't pony up enough $$ to warrant a 5 star rating, who knows.

I'd be interested to see the other 'feel' ratings as well, and give a direct comparison if possible.

[/quote]

That could be, but it surprised me after reading some of the early reviews. I do not take a ton of stock in these ratings either and have played clubs not even on the list that I thought were outstanding in terms of performance, looks and feel. I have these on order, so the rating did concern me some, but I agree on the Endo forging and hope they are nice sticks.

[i][b]In the Bag:[/b][/i]
Driver - Ping 430 Max 10.5 Degree - Tensei 1K Blue Regular 45"

Fairway Woods: Wilson Dynapower (2023) 5 and 7 woods
Irons: 6 - PW trade between Titleist T200 Steel Fiber i110s, and Wilson Staffs +1" - Shafts Project X LZ 5.5
Hybrids: Ping G425 26 degree Titleist TSi2 17 and 23 degree…..Shaft Project X 90 Hyb +1"
PW: Wilson Staff Custom 52 SW: Cleveland CBX Full Face 56 10 bounce
Putter: Jon Rham Limited Naked Rossie 
Ball: Wilson Staff, Pro V or Callaway Chrome Soft
Bag: Datrek 

Cart: Bagboy Quad

I wouldn't put too much stock in the Hot List Ratings. It seems as though the player comments are always the same, with a short synopsis on the new technology (or lack thereof) of any given iron set/club. I find the feedback in the wrx forum much more informative and a close 2nd to hitting these clubs yourself. Having said that, I have hit them and absolutely loved them. I thought they "felt" great.

[quote name='toddba11' timestamp='1359746716' post='6344833']
[/quote]

[/quote]

That could be, but it surprised me after reading some of the early reviews. I do not take a ton of stock in these ratings either and have played clubs not even on the list that I thought were outstanding in terms of performance, looks and feel. I have these on order, so the rating did concern me some, but I agree on the Endo forging and hope they are nice sticks.
[/quote]

Personal experience...Ctapers in the X Forged are amazing!! Especially if you like a heavier shaft. PXi is only 110 grams in 6.0...that is light and whereas I like the feel of the PXi, way too light for me. Ctaper X at 130 is perfect for me...mid-high flight and dead freaking straight. I am hoping we get a head for the fitting cart and can put the KBS Tour, DGS300, and maybe get a Ctaper S to put in it for people to really experience it.

Callaway Mavrik SZ 9.0 VA Composites Nemesys 65 04
Callaway Mavrik SZ 15 VA Composites Nemesys 75 04
Callaway Mavrik Pro Hybrid 18* Veylix Rome 888 S
Callaway 2019 Apex Pro DOT 4-PW Mits MMT 125 TX/ Vega Mizar Tour Oban CT 115 X
Odyssey WHP #3-Stability Tour, Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2.5, Toulon Long Island Garage-Stability Shaft
Callaway MD5 Jaws Tour Grey 50/54/58 and  Cobra Tour Versatile 50/54/58 Mitsubishi MMT 125TX Graphite
Lamkin Sonar Plus Wrap

WITB Link

[quote name='Yuck' timestamp='1359834585' post='6350629']
Hit them yesterday. (6 iron with PXI 5.5). They did [u][b]not[/b][/u] feel as smooth as the x-forged '09, which had the PX flighted 6.0
[/quote]

To ME, I felt they felt the same which is GREAT. I just got the chance to hit them. It is 28* outside so the cold air and a wee bit windy made it hard to really judge the ball flight but I was hitting the 7i in the flight I expect from my 8i. A change to a lower hitting shaft would make it a better set for me. I would play them as a 5-PW set with X Utility 24*.

Callaway B21 9* Diamana Kai'Li 70S (Callaway RFE 9* Diamana Kai'Li 70s backup)
RFE 16.5* 4 wood Diamana Kai'Li 80S
RFE 21.5* 7 wood UST V2 Tour 86gr
Apex 4/Apex Pro 5-PW H45 heads Aerotech i110
Callaway MD3 52-10/58-09 S Grind
Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5 2016

Instagram Link
https://www.instagram.com/michaelfrederickphotography/?hl=en
[twitter]BigDudeGuy72[/twitter]

I spent the day hitting these right next to the other top players cb offering and have to say they are standing in a Callaway stand bag in front of me while I watch Phil digest the WM Phoenix Open for lunch.

I try to add my 2 cents when I experience really good products. These are something special.

Sole widths are wider making them more forgiving than they look, bounce that Roger Cleveland and the Callaway designers always love add to the soles of their wedges and irons. Also the overall head shape look really good. Nice size and lines.

Doesn't stop there... the feel of these heads are .... well..... AWESOME!!! Wow awesome. So good I dont want to consider the x prototypes blades. They feel that good. Like your hitting the blade. I have to say I was surprised given the cavity is fairly large and the mass simply isn't as pronounced in the sweet spot like the MP-64's and the X-protos, but these feel simply awesome. Soft and pure.

Toplines are perfect and offset is minimal. Really sharp everyone. A true must demo here. Take my word for it these are a direct hit. So much so I had to take a few pics of them and comparison shots with the MP-64's.

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/47223/first-look-13-callaway-x-forged-irons-pics-and-info/"]Click here for our comprehensive front page story on Callaway's 2013 X Forged irons, which includes tech, specs and shaft options.[/url]

Updated 2/2/2013 (added these Photos)...

[attachment=1519021:2Y9G3842.jpg]
[attachment=1519023:2Y9G3844.jpg]
[attachment=1519025:2Y9G3845.jpg]
[attachment=1519027:2Y9G3847.jpg]
[attachment=1519029:2Y9G3849.jpg]
[attachment=1519031:2Y9G3852.jpg]
[attachment=1519033:2Y9G3855.jpg]
[attachment=1519035:2Y9G3856.jpg]
[attachment=1519037:2Y9G3857.jpg]
[attachment=1519039:2Y9G3858.jpg]
[attachment=1519041:2Y9G3859.jpg]
[attachment=1519043:2Y9G3860.jpg]
[attachment=1519045:2Y9G3865.jpg]
[attachment=1519047:2Y9G3866.jpg]

[size=6]Comparison Pics with the Callaway X Forged 2013 and the Mizuno MP-64[/size]

[attachment=1519049:2Y9G3868.jpg]
[attachment=1519051:2Y9G3870.jpg]
[attachment=1519053:2Y9G3871.jpg]
[attachment=1519055:2Y9G3872.jpg]

SIGH!!! Only if I had the game for them...

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

[/quote]

[/quote]

I hit them today and last week. Feel from 1-5 (5 being the best) I would put these close to the 5. Seriously. I dont blow smoke in threads unless I mean it and these are some real deal for feel. I had them next to the king of butter the MP-64 and They were so close I had to go bake and forth to try to feel a difference. I would wait for the perfect strike and then switch. Wait for the perfect smash to duplicate the hit and when I got it Ifelt they were to close to call.

Feel is so so so so good.

:pimp::pimp::pimp::pimp::pimp:

Played my second round with these babies yesterday and they have reserved there spot in the game bag for a while longer. As easy sated before these are just plain beautiful soft feeling irons with a larger than expected amount of forgiveness. I don't think they provide as much feedback as my proto's back they are more softer by a noticeable amount. I am still not sold on the pxi shafts as i was using px flighted in my proto's. the weight is the real concern here. I think the flex is ok and is line ball with the other px offerngs. I think the lighter weight is making me feel they are tad soft in flex. I had a nice 77 and par was 73 so 4 over is not bad with the second outing with these irons. I am holding out for a fitting session once callaway gets these head in left hand and all the shafts. Once thats done the pxi shafts may get changed out. I am having a bit of confidence issues with the pxi shafts atm. All in all though I hit a few real quality irons and my yardage was close to the proto's, there was maybe half a club between them with the protos being longer. The x forged irons i have been hitting some towering irons shots and the flight is alot higher than my proto's. A few more rounds will really be the acid test and it this stage these irons are shaping up to be winners and the only ones that moved the proto's out of the bag. There have been others before but they didn't last long at all.

Go lefty! 22 under and rockin on

Like many here I am alittle concenred with the PXi shafy, even though on the launch monitor they seemed to be fine. Ultimately (as per JB Lefty) they need to perform on the course. I will get back home end of next week which will be the first chance I actually get to hit them on the course and we will then see if the LM session translates to the course.

My big issue is that if the PXi's don't work (becasue of their lighter weight) what other options do I have, as I have tried c-Tapers in two different sets of irons, and whilst I absolutely love the ball flight, both times (a year apart) the c-Tapers have resulted in severe elbow pain the my left arm. KBS Tours spin too much for me and DGS are too heavy.

I want a low launch, low spin 120gr shaft - any recommendations???

Andre

[quote name='andrevanderpost' timestamp='1359889360' post='6353905']
Like many here I am alittle concenred with the PXi shafy, even though on the launch monitor they seemed to be fine. Ultimately (as per JB Lefty) they need to perform on the course. I will get back home end of next week which will be the first chance I actually get to hit them on the course and we will then see if the LM session translates to the course.

My big issue is that if the PXi's don't work (becasue of their lighter weight) what other options do I have, as I have tried c-Tapers in two different sets of irons, and whilst I absolutely love the ball flight, both times (a year apart) the c-Tapers have resulted in severe elbow pain the my left arm. KBS Tours spin too much for me and DGS are too heavy.

I want a low launch, low spin 120gr shaft - any recommendations???

Andre
[/quote]
im thinking going up to the PXI 6.5 117 grams and soft stepping them, thats 5 more grams than the 6.0 . i know some say you cant feel that much weight difference, but, in a club that light it should help.

915 D3 8.5 Rogue Silver60
915 FD 15 Rogue Black80
915 H 18 Rogue Black85
Titleist 712u 19* DG Pro
Titleist 714 AP2 4-pw DG Pro
Vokey Sm5 58K,52S DG

[quote name='Jackjv21' timestamp='1359737586' post='6343863']
And another note to help, normally my swing speed is 95 mph avg. I wondered why it was so low that day.
[/quote]

95 would be closer to 200 yd 6i

Overhaul 

Driver Testing 

3w Stealth 2 + 15* Ventus Red 9x tipped 2" 43”  

2i TMAG P790 2i Hzdus 100g X  

Titleist MB 620 3-PW (47* PW) PX 7.0 Std Length -2 flat from Titleist Spec 

Vokey - Testing 

Putter  OPEN