2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Mizuno launches balls 2013?

VeskuGolf

I was reading Finnish golfsite golfpiste.fi and they had an article about how customfitting has become important and blah blah blah. They had been interviewed Mizuno's impoeter in Finland who said "we are comming also to the ball market next year". Link if someone understands finnish http://golfpiste.com...d=100197&cid=52

I haven't heard mizuno balls before but with the help of google found interesting asian market pics about 4-layer balls mp-8 and mp-8x.

http://www.tourspecg...t=&filter_id=41

Did he slipped out something or is this widely known? Interesting? Edit: I mean is it widely known that Mizuno introduces balls to European and most likely to US market?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There has been talk for a while that they were going to release the JPX line of balls in Europe. It was originally supposed to happen this fall, but it all went quiet. I agree with what Gator said though, i'm not sure they will gain much by entering the market outside of Asia.

Driver - TBD
3 Wood - TBD
5 Wood - Mizuno MX700, PF v2
4-PW - Adams CMB, C-Taper
Wedges - Mizuno T4 52/58, S400
Putter - Odyssey Versa #7, SS 3.0
Ball - TF Gamer

Google Translated...

[QUOTE]Lots of widespread custom fitting, custom clubs or players svingille suit, is clearly visible customization effort of club brands on sale.

For example, Mizuno rauta in about 70 per cent of Finland is ordered à la carte. "Custom fitting has grown a lot this year. Otherwise irons are clearly the best-selling products, "Mika Mizuno importer Osmo says.

In addition to custom irons Mizuno Bags have been sold well this year.

"Just the new waterproof bägiämme has sold more than a total of bägejä in previous years," says Osmo.

Mizuno importer is positive about the next year. "The year 2012 went to a small increase, which contributed to the demo days that we did over a hundred Finnish. Demo calendar next season and are tailored to the same rate of progress," Osmo explains.

"The year ahead looks quite promising. Full time growing custom fitting has strengths, and the 2013 news are interesting. We will next season in Finland and in Europe, but also the ball on the market, so now we have to offer golfers the whole family: Bats, textiles, soft side and the balls", Osmo hehkuttelee.[/QUOTE]

--kC
(Can't wait to get back to Rally Finland again)

Ping 430Max 10k / Callaway UW 17 & 21 / Srixon ZX5 Irons (5-AW) / Vokey SM8 56* & 60*, Callaway, 64*

From Tourspecgolf.com:

large-mp8.jpg

and

large-x.jpg

Callaway GBB Epic 9° w/ Aldila Rouge Max 65S
Callaway BB 815 3-wood 14° w/ Fujikura Motore Speeder 665X
Callaway BB 815 hybrid 18° w/ Fujikura Motore Speeder 865X
Titleist T-MB 3 & 4 irons w/ DG AMT Tour Issue X100
Titleist 716 CB 5-PW w/ DG AMT Tour Issue X100
Titleist SM6 52.08 and 58.04 w/ DG AMT Tour IssueX100
SC Select Newport 35" w/ Super Stroke Pistol GT
Bushnell Tour X / Garmin G8

I think Mizuno has been in the ball market for sometime in Japan. Not sure how far it has spread throughout the Asian market.

Srixon ZX5 LS 9.5* Hzrdus Gen 4 Black S

Sim 2 Titanium 15* Kura Kage Silver TiNi S 
Sim 2 Titanium 18* Kura Kage Silver Tini S
Srixon ZX 22* Graphite Design AD DI 75 S
Srixon ZX5 MkII, 5-6, C-Taper Lite S

Srixon ZX7 MkII, 7-PW, C-Taper Lite S
Cleveland RTX6 "Raw Tour Rack" 48*, 54*, 58* Dynamic Gold S400
Odyssey Eleven Tour Lined CS
Hdcp 2.1

Srixon Staff Member

mizuno has been making balls for the Japanese and Korean markets for quite some time. No biggie here, just bringing it to Europe and maybe North America. Now....if Bridgestone would bring over the Tourstage balls....lol

God Bless
Jer

PXG 3011X Gen 4 w/ ????
M5 T.I. 14* w/ Aldila STX Tour Green 85TX
????
4-PW Mizuno 919 Hot Metal Pro w/ Modus 130X
52* Cobra MIM/ Modus 130X
58* TM Hi Toe w/ Modus 130X
64* TM Hi Toe w/ Modus 130X
???? w/BGT Stability Shaft/Tour Quad Proto

Actually the ball is pretty good... feels better than the Srixon to me... but yes chances of gaining any traction outside of the Japanese Domestic market is well zero... you only need to look at Mizuno's struggles in Driver / Fairway outside of Japan to understand how hard it is to establish product lines you are not known for in the US market... Europe to a lesser degree.

[quote name='Gaijin_Golfer' timestamp='1354643676' post='6017339']
Mizuno balls are big in the UK too. Im not holding my breath for a U.S. release though.
[/quote]

Not available in the UK or anywhere outside of Asia, although myself and some other Mizuno nuts have got hold of some through the Mizuno Forum.

There were rumours of some kind of legal red tape regarding patents or some such. Mizuno did say they were looking into releasing them in the West but just waiting for an update as it stands. They do an mp and a jpx line similar to most other ball manufacturers.

STZ 10.5 Motore F3 60s

STZ 5 wood Motore F3 70s

CLK 22 Tensei blue 
JPX 850 Forged 4-pw S300

ES21 54 60 
Mizuno Craft 1

Many comments here are not only surprised that Mizuno makes a ball but then go on to say that attempting to break into the US market would be impossible.

The premise appears to be that all companies want to emulate Titleist or Taylor Made - that of being the biggest etc etc.

I'm not sure that Mizuno wants to be the biggest. I do believe, however, that they strive to be the best and as far their irons irons are concerned, many think they are the best.

Biggest is not best. Mizuno goes about their business in a calculating, conservative way and keep producing high quality products without the bling and the chest thumping.

They are not Taylor Made and likely do not want to be Taylor Made - they want to be Mizuno.

Do you not think that Taylor Made would love to have Mizuno's reputation for forged irons? You betcha!

If Luke found a substitute for his 2006 version of the Pro V and won his first major - who knows what would break.

Mizuno does things their way and in many ways are very successful.

Does anyone have a box or sleeve with the info on it? is it made in Japan or Taiwan where all of the "designer" balls are made. There are only a few golfball factories around the world. Many of the brands are produced at the Taiwan company. If these are Japan then they have to be made at either Bridgestone or Sumitomo (Srixon). Just curious, But the real test is to have a successful tour presence without that there is no real ball business. It doesn't matter who the company is. And if a company like Mizuno doesn't have one of their tour players using their ball, then they have to business regardless of how good others think the ball is. That's the golf business, like it or not.

In the bag: Playing --- TaylorMade  Qi 10 (core) driver w/Fujikura Ventus Blue 6S. 3wd TM (OG) SIM (special smaller tour only head, same that TW was playing prior to the '24 Genesis approx 160cc) @ 15.*) with Fujikura Ventus 7-S.  5 wd TM SIM w/Fujikura Speeder 857TR-S (Japan made)

HyBrids-Cleveland Hi-Bore #1 (16* plays like 2-Iron) W/Fuji-S Tipped 1/2".  SIM Max #4 (set @ 21.5* w/ Fuji Atmos HB8 9S.  IRONS:  TM M3 4i (2*weak)w SteelFiber i95-S,  P790 3, 5-PW,  w/Fuji Pro 95i-S. SW TM MG4  54*/11 bent to 53*/10 w/ Precision Rifle 6.0-S. LW TaylorMade Hi Toe 3, 58/10 w/Modus Tour 105 Stiff. Putter-- BOBBY GRACE Night&Day-Custom, "M.Coz-Bandsaw Prototype". Ball 2022 TaylorMade Tour Response
 Alternating clubs: the 5wd, TM Hybrid Stealth 2+ #2, 3Iron, depending on what part of the country, course, climate, and conditions.

I am temporarily living in Japan and just bought a sleeve for curiosity. If they don't add 50 yds off the tee, they won't be worth the cost here in the local economy.

There were 3 total flavors: MP-8, MP-8X, and JPX.

The vast majority of the sleeve was in kanji but the MP series had an obvious "this ball is for" matrix on the back. It had 40 m/s (101 mph) on the MP-8 and 43 m/s (108 mph) for the MP-8X. I asked a clerk who spoke a little English and he said the MP-8 was 'softer'. The covers felt the same so I assume he was talking about compression.

I pulled a sample of balls from my bag to compare: Pro V1, Hex Chrome, e6, B330-RX, and 20xi. Of those, the dimple pattern was most nearly Pro V1 and the cover hardness was most nearly Hex Chrome or 20xi.

Cost was same as a sleeve of Pro V1 at about $19.50 per SLEEVE. Yes, that says SLEEVE. I had some bonus points for some recent club adjustments so got them at $6.25

Hope to get out this weekend to break in the new MP-64s and will do some comparison work.

The third flavor was badged 'JPX'. It was priced a bit lower and felt like an economy distance ball.

They are all made in Taiwan.

WITB Link

[quote name='Par-A-Medic' timestamp='1354717312' post='6021515']
[quote name='clubnut17' timestamp='1354680724' post='6020353']
Is it true that if you hit a mizuno ball with a mizuno iron you cant feel the ball because of the smoothness?
[/quote]
+1000
[/quote]

yea, if the irons feel like butter, this combo must feel like melted butter.

Without going through all the comments, I can assure you that Mizuno is NOT GETTING INTO THE US BALL MARKET!!! JAPAN is a totally different ANIMAL!!!
Many OEM's offer many more products and variations of products in the Asian Market, for Mizuno Golf to attempt to enter into the ball market here in North America it would be an absolute guarantee that they would either cease all golf operations worldwide or the company would take a major hit in all cash reserves and it would in all likeliness set them up for being bought out or closed in the next 6-12 months!!!

[quote name='Princeton TN' timestamp='1354808787' post='6027197']
Without going through all the comments, I can assure you that Mizuno is NOT GETTING INTO THE US BALL MARKET!!! JAPAN is a totally different ANIMAL!!!
Many OEM's offer many more products and variations of products in the Asian Market, for Mizuno Golf to attempt to enter into the ball market here in North America it would be an absolute guarantee that they would either cease all golf operations worldwide or the company would take a major hit in all cash reserves and it would in all likeliness set them up for being bought out or closed in the next 6-12 months!!!
[/quote]

Those are some pretty bold claims. If Mizuno release a ball in the US they will go out of business in 6 months? Is that what you are saying?
I'm not sure I understand anything in that post. Would you care to explain?

STZ 10.5 Motore F3 60s

STZ 5 wood Motore F3 70s

CLK 22 Tensei blue 
JPX 850 Forged 4-pw S300

ES21 54 60 
Mizuno Craft 1