Private Club - North Jersey (Bergen County Area)

NYCgolfer17

Anyone know of any reasonable clubs within a 1/2 hour drive of Bergen County NJ? Looking to join a club next year but don't want to drop crazy money. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

G400 LST -Tensei Pro Orange 70TX
G25 3W - Ping tour X-Flex
G30 5W - Ping Tour X
MP 5 - TI X100
Vokey 50/54/58
DJ Spider Ltd

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I moved to Bergen last winter. I too am looking for a club, but I am taking a patient approach. "Crazy" money also different meaning to different people.

The problem with Bergen is there just aren't the mid range club options like you will find in central NJ. Everything is older and established. And the county courses suck in my opinion for a variety of reasons. I felt like I had better golf options when I lived in Jersey City then I do now in the suburbs since I had more great public options in a 45-60 min driving radius.

That said, here is what I found from my research:

High Mountain in Franklin Lakes: Its a $5k season pass, no initiation. They allow public play after 12:30, but they dont get a lot of (I played it 5-6 times this way). Decent range and putting areas. Very nice greens. Lets members walk anytime, which is a really nice perk. Kind of a quirky layout (34 out, 37 in), not a lot that will wow you. Fairways, cart paths, signs all showing the signs of lack of funds - more like a public course. The club eventually will be bulldozed and developed, but the date is in question and keeps getting moved back from my knowledge. It will be open at least for 2013 and prob 2014. Maybe more. The pro is kind of a dick.

Apple Ridge in Mawah - $5k intitation (nonrefund), $10k dues, $2k annual min. Have not played, but compared to other clubs in the area it offers "value". Greens are supposed to be up there with the best. Privately owned by a family. Not sure about practice facilities. Have heard good things overall. Prob where I will end up eventually.

Ridgewood, Arcola, Hackensack are all in the crazy money zone as far as I am concerned. White Beeches a bit more reasonable than those but its like a $15k initiation. Some other options in NY, but thats going to push the drive distance to 30+ min, I did not research those. The new Paramount (refurb of an older club) in NY is dying for members but it was like a $10k inititation something like that.

Further south clubs like Essex County are offering good deals for the level of club and golf course. Too far for me to consider. Forest Hill Field Club is very reasonable, but also in that same area to the south.

Bowling Green to the west is semi-private and thats a nice track. Its just super tight. You must be a straight hitter. About 35-40 min from Paramus area.

I keep hoping I somehow am missing some other great option out there.

I would love to go the Essex County CC route, either that course or one in that area, but its 25 miles from me. My criteria is the club really has to be 20 min away or less to spend the money. I need to be able to pop over and play 9 whenever I can (young family). It makes it tougher to find the right spot. Bergen County sucks for golf unless you can spend the big bucks.

This article lays out the issues with High Mountain. But this is from May 2012 and no news since then. This summer both a member and the pro told me that the club could very possibly stay open indefinetly beyond 2014, but who knows what the truth is.

[url="http://www.northjersey.com/community/events/155869725_High-density_housing_a_hole-in-one_.html?page=all"]http://www.northjersey.com/community/events/155869725_High-density_housing_a_hole-in-one_.html?page=all[/url]

[quote name='NYCgolfer17' timestamp='1356629559' post='6124121']
I was considering Glenwood last year but it was about an hour from me so I decided against it. Something similar to that would be perfect.
[/quote]
Yea, it was usually about 45 minutes to an hour for me too, and that turned it into an all day thing, for the most part (1 hour there, 30 minute wait to tee off, 4-4.5 hour round, 1 hour back). Looking to cut down on some of the "hidden" time. Though for ~$1.5k, it is tough to beat

[quote name='cinderellaboy' timestamp='1356630278' post='6124187']
If you are in Hoboken you should look at Forest Hill FC in Bloomfield. Ive never played it, but from a distance/cost perspective to Hoboken it is probably a pretty solid option.
[/quote]

I just sent them an email on membership. Any idea of cost for someone who is 27? It says there is an "Associate membership" for people under 40, which is great, but I just dont know exactly what that means.

FHFC last year was running a 2012 special membership drive, which might still be going on, who knows. Im looking at the details now - for 21-30 was $2k initiation with monthly dues of $331. 31-39 was $4k and $497 per month. 40+ was $6k and $862 per month. There was also an offer to preview the club, paying monthly dues but not initiation, up to July 15th where you then had to make a decision.

I had not thought about this club for a while, but it is right off the GSP exit 149. From Bergen county if you are close the the GSP it really makes the ride pretty easy. Could be a 20 min ride early in morning.

you may want to check out Haworth. ive never played it, but it is probably more reasonable than the other bergen county clubs it also couldnt hurt to stop in some of the "lesser" clubs to find out if they are offering any mrembership deals for younger guys. in the past, some of the clubs would over good membershios to a limited number of people to try anfg the membership younger. good luck

[quote name='migolfke' timestamp='1356876375' post='6138139']
you may want to check out Haworth. ive never played it, but it is probably more reasonable than the other bergen county clubs it also couldnt hurt to stop in some of the "lesser" clubs to find out if they are offering any mrembership deals for younger guys. in the past, some of the clubs would over good membershios to a limited number of people to try anfg the membership younger. good luck
[/quote]

I have to second the idea of Haworth. I've grown up in Bergen County and the industry, played most of the courses in the area from county/daily fee through all the high dollar private clubs. I last played Haworth the year they hosted the US Open local qualifying round. In the year or two after they had some issues with the greens(closing them for an extended period and another restoration). The layout is much more diverse than most in the area, a good mix of long and short, straight and position holes. The conditions 3ish years ago were excellent. From the greens to the fairways everything was well maintained. Its a golf club with little in the way of other facilities, but if you're looking for a good layout that can be as stern a test as you'd like it to be depending on the tees you chose it could be a great bet(I have no idea the cost).

I live down the street from High Mountain, because of convenience I've played it a few hundred times. After some pretty extensive bunker work going back a number of years it was a pretty nice layout. Decent conditions(think Wild Turkey, not private club level), and a few decent holes. Its relatively short, if you're a bomber driver is out of your hands on most holes. Conditions over the past 2-3 seasons have gone down hill quickly. The course is rarely kept on a daily basis(bunkers, tees, greens). Again as much as I dislike the conditions I do play often because of the location. Its not unusual on back to back days to find the pins and tees in the same locations. I am not a member, but have no problem teeing off at any hour I chose as a single or with a full group.

Apple Ridge is in significantly better condition(though more costly). The overall layout is pretty similar to high Mountain, perhaps a bit more open in spots, but the greens offer as much if not more of a challenge than just about any others in the area. The new greenskeeper they hired a few years ago has transformed that course from what it was in the 90's and early part of this decade. Greens are on the smaller side but quite undulating in spots and during the dry summer months fast, smooth and concrete hard.

If you're looking for a full "club", pool, tennis, family atmosphere you may want to check out North Jersey. Layout can be a tad quirky on a few holes with blind shots/hills, but conditions are a notch above some of the others mentioned and it offers all the amenities you would find at a much larger club. I've heard they have been offering some creative deals as well.

If there is anything you're interested in, even if you've heard the bonds are too high or dues are exorbitant don't hesitate to contact them and ask questions, many are doing all they can to maintain memberships and build their capital in these times when their investments in renovations can go a bit further for the dollar.

IG: instagram.com/launchedgolf                                      

Ai Smoke Triple Diamond 9* Tour AD VF6X (Triple Diamond Max incoming)

BRNR Mini Copper 13.5* HXRDUS RDX Blue 60 6.5X (random shaft I had laying around and it has been perfect)                
'24 UW 19* MMT  80X
P-UDI  22* MMT 105X

'24 Apex Pro 5-AW Axiom 125X

SM9 54/10M
SM9 60M

Lots of putters

On deck: Paradym Super Hybrid 21*, TSR3 24* hybrid, Apex CB 4-11, Apex MB 8-10,  Apex UT 23*  

• 1 month later...

[quote name='crtssxc' timestamp='1356635234' post='6124605'] [quote name='NYCgolfer17' timestamp='1356629559' post='6124121'] I was considering Glenwood last year but it was about an hour from me so I decided against it. Something similar to that would be perfect. [/quote] Yea, it was usually about 45 minutes to an hour for me too, and that turned it into an all day thing, for the most part (1 hour there, 30 minute wait to tee off, 4-4.5 hour round, 1 hour back). Looking to cut down on some of the "hidden" time. Though for ~$1.5k, it is tough to beat [quote name='cinderellaboy' timestamp='1356630278' post='6124187'] If you are in Hoboken you should look at Forest Hill FC in Bloomfield. Ive never played it, but from a distance/cost perspective to Hoboken it is probably a pretty solid option. [/quote] I just sent them an email on membership. Any idea of cost for someone who is 27? It says there is an "Associate membership" for people under 40, which is great, but I just dont know exactly what that means. [/quote]

Did you ever hear back from them?

G400 LST -Tensei Pro Orange 70TX
G25 3W - Ping tour X-Flex
G30 5W - Ping Tour X
MP 5 - TI X100
Vokey 50/54/58
DJ Spider Ltd

• 1 month later...

[quote name='pitchmaster1224' timestamp='1364694302' post='6728357']
I wrote to FHFC tonight will let you know if I hear back thanks.
[/quote]

FHFC is having a membership preview day on April 13th. I am thinking about checking it out. If interested you should give them a call or write.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I am looking for the same thing as well.. I live in Hoboken I am a member of a Course upstate NY right near my Lakehouse. I heard great things about Fiddlers Elbow which is only 35mins from Hoboken and Offers 3 18 hole golf courses. Going to check it out. Being a Broker on Wall street I am spoiled with the Baltusrol, Liberty National, Bayonne, Trump Bedminster where guys on my desk are members to.. But looking for something Not as elite for myself that has more than one course.

• 1 month later...

[quote name='pitchmaster1224' timestamp='1367629509' post='6967252']
[quote name='munihack' timestamp='1365798210' post='6822525']
howd it go
[/quote]

Great I joined and am loving it!
[/quote]

So how is it still? Just email them can you give me some info on membership? I'm also 28 so not sure on cheaper costs for age group. I live fairly close it would be perfect. Much like everyone else Bergen county is just an absurd place to join a club

Thanks!

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

This was my first yr as a member at FHFC and loved it. The guys are kool and atmosphere very chill compared to other clubs. The course is good and we have competitive leagues and tournaments. Played 9 today although maybe the last round of the year. Their various membership offerings are very reasonable so contact them for more info. They will be having preview days in the spring.

Consider Old York at Chesterfield. Interchange 7 off the tpk, but private club, no houses, great greens, and extremely reasonable young executive membership opportunities. PM me, I'm on the advisory board

USGA Index: ~0

[b]WITB[/b]:
Ping G410 LST 9 degree - Tour AD IZ 6x
Ping G410 LST - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Kasco K2K 33 - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Callaway RazrX Tour 4h - Tour 95 shaft
Ping i200 5-UW (2 flat) - Nippon Modus 105X
Taylormade HiToe 54 (bent to 55 & 2 flat)
Taylormade HiToe 64 (Bent to 62 & 2 flat)
Palmer AP30R putter (circa 1960s)
Taylormade TP5X Ball

• 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...

Have you considered Basking Ridge? I joined Basking Ridge about 2 years ago now and haven't looked back. It's not too far from Bergen County (maybe 15 mins south of Morristown). Course is in really nice shape after some recent renovation work, and they offer a few different membership options depending on your age (associate membership is up to 30 or so and costs roughly $3.5k with no initiation and no dues, next level is around $5k or so). PM me if you have any questions.