2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Battery replacement in my Sky Caddie SGX

I wonder if anyone can tell me where I can get a replacement battery for my Sky Caddie SGX? It is easy to buy a replacement on eBay for the SG2 or other SG numbers but not for the SGX. SkyGolf want me to pay £90 pounds for a replacement SGX just to replace the battery and then they charge for a courier service and even to load your courses onto the new SGX. A replacement for the SG2 however is £8! I have scoured the web and rung all of the Li Polymer suppliers without success.

Thanks

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for your reply. Upgrade to what? The SGX is the top of the range. This is the problem. If I had bought the lower end of their range then changing the battery would have been very easy but they have had these batteries made especially for this model. What with the £100 for three years downloads and now what amounts to another £80 every two years at £70 per year I would recommend all golfers buy the Garmin or Bushnell as SkyGolf are just plain expensive and very greedy.

If the SGXw is available in the UK, that would be the upgrade. Most battery based electronics have a sealed battery today. It must be changed by the manufacturer so it is not just Skygolf that is doing it. The battery most devices use today, like the SGX, is a lithium polymer ion battery. Installed incorrectly, it can short out and catch fire, but there a lot of benefits to these batteries, such as longer life before a recharge is required and smaller size. Before device manufacturers started sealing them in the device, people were buying cheap China made replacement batteries that were catching fire, but the device manufacturer was getting sued for the fire. Also these batteries do not wear out based on time. They wear out based on recharge cycles. So the more you use a device, the quicker the battery wears out.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5 driver w/ Project X Riptide 50 5.0
Callaway Epic Flash 3, 5, & 7 woods w/ Fujikura Pro 2.0 R2-6

Callaway Apex 21 DCB 4 iron w/ Project X Catalyst 50 5.0 
Callaway Apex 21 5 - AW w/ Project X Catalyst 50 5.0
Callaway Mack Daddy CB 56 w/ Project X Catalyst 60 5.5
Toulon Design Palm Beach Stroke Lab
Callaway Chrome Soft

you can get the SGXw as your upgrade.

TM SIM2 Max 10.5 UST V 2 
TM SIM Max 15 UST V2 66g
TM Stealth HL 17 Aldila RIP Alpha 6
TM Stealth UDI 19 UST V2
TM Stealth UDI 23 UST v2 
TM P790 6-PW Nippon Modus 3 105
TM MG 3 Black 50 Nippon Modus Tour WV115
TM MG Hi-Toe 3 RAW Wedge 54 Nippon Pro WV115
TM MG Hi-Toe 3 RAW Wedge 58 Nippon Pro Modus 105 T
TM TP Hydro Blast Bandon 3

Just checked out the option of upgrading to a SGXw. I bought my SGX 2 years ago for about £300. I paid £100 for 3 years downloads. Now after those 2 years SkyGolf expect me to pay them £90 to replace an obvious defunct battery. This equates to me paying £78.33 a year just to use my SGX. I investigated the upgrade and they have offered me a generous £25 to £60 for my 2 year old, £400 paid out so far SGX so I can then spend another £350 on what might be another useless item. Please! I am not as daft as I look. I am off to buy a Garmin or Bushnell with no download costs and half the original price. I urge any one thinking of buying a SkyGolf item to avoid them like the plague unless you have bottomless pockets and little interest in getting value for your money!

Skygolf's battery replacement program is actually pretty good. They provide two options, getting a refurb unit with a new battery already synced with your courses or sending your SGX to Skygolf to have the battery replaced. The battery by itself would run around $40 - $50 dollars and they charge $70 to replace the battery and $90 to swap the unit.

And when it come to batteries, Garmin is not cheap. If you buy longer life non-rechargeable batteries, you could go through a couple hundred dollars of batteries over two years. For rechargeables, it would be less but would still cost you $50 - $70 dollars over two years if you play a lot. With the Callaway uPro MX, you have to pay extra to get a battery that will last more than one round. I have owned the Garmin G5 and Callaway uPro MX+. They are not as good as the Skycaddie SGX.

Bottom line is you are going to pay more in purchasing a new GPS than you would to simply have the battery replaced on your SGX and end up with less of a GPS than you have with the SGX.

Callaway Chrome Soft

[quote name='TM_HOYER' timestamp='1356705426' post='6128589']
Skygolf's battery replacement program is actually pretty good. They provide two options, getting a refurb unit with a new battery already synced with your courses or sending your SGX to Skygolf to have the battery replaced. The battery by itself would run around $40 - $50 dollars and they charge $70 to replace the battery and $90 to swap the unit.

And when it come to batteries, Garmin is not cheap. If you buy longer life non-rechargeable batteries, you could go through a couple hundred dollars of batteries over two years. For rechargeables, it would be less but would still cost you $50 - $70 dollars over two years if you play a lot. With the Callaway uPro MX, you have to pay extra to get a battery that will last more than one round. I have owned the Garmin G5 and Callaway uPro MX+. They are not as good as the Skycaddie SGX.

Bottom line is you are going to pay more in purchasing a new GPS than you would to simply have the battery replaced on your SGX and end up with less of a GPS than you have with the SGX.
[/quote]

Hi Tim

Thanks for your reply. These prices you quote are in the States. You are lucky. Over here in the UK we are seen as the fat cow that can be slaughtered! I copy my mail from Sky Golf so you can see the prices they expect us to pay. I would be surprised if the battery for the SGX is anywhere near $40 as you can buy a lithium battery for the SG2 and equivalent on eBay for about £4. Anyway this is what SkyGolf sent me.

[b]The replacement cost for a fully serviced SkyCaddie with 3 month service warranty is broken down as follows:[/b]
[color=#365f91][size=3]· [/size][/color][b]SkyCaddie Handset[/b]: £49.95
[color=#365f91][size=3]· [/size][/color][b]UPS secure[/b] Next Day Delivery & Return servicefrom the place and time you choose £15
[color=#365f91][size=3]· [/size][/color][b]Concierge Service[/b]: Transferring your account details and courses to your replacement device £10
[color=#365f91][size=3][b]· [/b][/size][/color][b][u]Total service cost including VAT is £89.95 [/u][/b]

as you can see this is a lot more than the $90 that you quote to swap the unit unless the exchange rate $ to £ has reached parity?

Charlie

Hi Tim

Thanks for your reply. These prices you quote are in the States. You are lucky. Over here in the UK we are seen as the fat cow that can be slaughtered! I copy my mail from Sky Golf so you can see the prices they expect us to pay. I would be surprised if the battery for the SGX is anywhere near $40 as you can buy a lithium battery for the SG2 and equivalent on eBay for about £4. Anyway this is what SkyGolf sent me.

[b]The replacement cost for a fully serviced SkyCaddie with 3 month service warranty is broken down as follows:[/b][list]
[*][b]SkyCaddie Handset[/b]: £49.95
[*][b]UPS secure[/b] Next Day Delivery & Return service from the place and time you choose £15
[*][b]Concierge Service[/b]: Transferring your account details and courses to your replacement device £10
[*][b][u]Total service cost including VAT is £89.95 [/u][/b]
[/list]

as you can see this is a lot more than the $90 that you quote to swap the unit unless the exchange rate $ to £ has reached parity?

Charlie

[quote name='Charlie3110' timestamp='1356708692' post='6128811']
Hi Tim

[b]The replacement cost for a fully serviced SkyCaddie with 3 month service warranty is broken down as follows:[/b][list]
[*][b]SkyCaddie Handset[/b]: £49.95
[*][b]UPS secure[/b] Next Day Delivery & Return service from the place and time you choose £15
[*][b]Concierge Service[/b]: Transferring your account details and courses to your replacement device £10
[*][b][u]Total service cost including VAT is £89.95 [/u][/b]
[/list]

Charlie
[/quote]

I do not know how much of it is VAT which we do not pay here in the states, but subtract the VAT and it might be close to the equivalent of the $90 we are charged. The battery the SGX uses is a lot more expensive than the SG2. A while back someone opened their SGX up and supplied the info on the battery and the replacement cost was $40 - $50 just for the battery. And I would not trust a cheap lithium ion polymer battery bought on ebay.

Callaway Chrome Soft

[quote name='Charlie3110' timestamp='1356720358' post='6129909']
Tim Can you get information from whoever it was who opened the SGX and ask them where they were going to get the new battery from at $40 I would go for that. I have had the battery in my hand and tried all over the word to get a new like battery without success?
Thanks
[/quote]

If has been almost two years since that discussion happened on the ClubSG forum. Those threads have long been deleted. You might be able to Google it and find something. Or you will need to open it up and to get the info on the battery in your SGX.

Callaway Chrome Soft

I have opened the device up and Googled it and rang all of the suppliers of lithium batteries I can find and have come up with nothing. SkyGolf have their clents by the balls. They are greedy with it. As my device is out of guarantee and I have already opened it up to view the battery then why can't they sell me a new battery and make thier forty pieces of silver from that?
I will buy one of the Garmin watches that all golfers seem to have these day with less than half of the cost and no subsequent subscription charges and an easy to change battery. The alternative is to buy one of these phone battery packs and use it as a remote power supply using the USB charge lead?
Thanks for your interest and advice.
Happy New Year

[b]Skygolf's battery replacement program is actually pretty good. [/b]They provide two options, getting a refurb unit with a new battery already synced with your courses or sending your SGX to Skygolf to have the battery replaced. The battery by itself would run around $40 - $50 dollars and they charge $70 to replace the battery and $90 to swap the unit.
[/quote]

Not trying to be a jerk here, but how is $70-$90 to replace a battery (that's not in a car) anything but a ripoff?

I would be livid if I had one of those devices.

X________________________________ Sign Here

I was worried about this when i 1st got my SGX and saw the battery was not user accessible like previous SC's. They are following the Apple model of "you can only get it from us, and its gonna cost ya a bunch, or how about a new one"

When the battery goes in mine i believe I will replace it with a Golfbuddy

[quote name='Hateto3Putt' timestamp='1356968350' post='6143129']
[b]Skygolf's battery replacement program is actually pretty good. [/b]They provide two options, getting a refurb unit with a new battery already synced with your courses or sending your SGX to Skygolf to have the battery replaced. The battery by itself would run around $40 - $50 dollars and they charge $70 to replace the battery and $90 to swap the unit.
[/quote]

Not trying to be a jerk here, but how is $70-$90 to replace a battery (that's not in a car) anything but a ripoff?

I would be livid if I had one of those devices.
[/quote]
When you figure the cost of the battery, their labor, and shipping costs, they are not ripping off anyone. Skygolf is breaking even at best providing this serve. Sealed devices are common place today. This is done to minimize the size of the device and to prevent lawsuits. It only takes one person installing the battery incorrectly, starting a fire (which is very hot and intense with these batteries), causing damage and injuries, and the company being sued because their device caused the fire.

Callaway Chrome Soft

I must thank the last two contributors who at last seem to be on the side of common sense. Tim sounds like a really nice chap but his advice is almost as though he was singing the SkyGolf tune as an employee? My point I have made many times above. My other point is that as the device is out of guarantee and as it is simple to undo the three screws and take the battery out why won't SkyGolf sell me a new battery? It can only be the fact that they are willing to hold their customers to an exorbitant ransom to replace a $5 battery for what is in the UK £90? for me to replace this battery as they want me to means that it will cost me £80 a year to use this device on top of the purchase price. I paid £100 for three years downloads and now they want me to pay another £90 for two years use of the battery. At £80 a year I think it is a bit rich. I am going to soldier along with a mobile phone power pack that I can plug the USB recharger for the SGX into. Not perfect as I will have the wires trailing into my bag but something I already have and free! The i will by a Garmin GPS watch a third of the purchase price and no download costs! Perhaps when SkyGolf price themsleves out of the market they will wise up?

[quote name='Charlie3110' timestamp='1356973395' post='6143537']
I must thank the last two contributors who at last seem to be on the side of common sense. Tim sounds like a really nice chap but his advice is almost as though he was singing the SkyGolf tune as an employee? My point I have made many times above. My other point is that as the device is out of guarantee and as it is simple to undo the three screws and take the battery out why won't SkyGolf sell me a new battery? It can only be the fact that they are willing to hold their customers to an exorbitant ransom to replace a $5 battery for what is in the UK £90? for me to replace this battery as they want me to means that it will cost me £80 a year to use this device on top of the purchase price. I paid £100 for three years downloads and now they want me to pay another £90 for two years use of the battery. At £80 a year I think it is a bit rich. I am going to soldier along with a mobile phone power pack that I can plug the USB recharger for the SGX into. Not perfect as I will have the wires trailing into my bag but something I already have and free! The i will by a Garmin GPS watch a third of the purchase price and no download costs! Perhaps when SkyGolf price themsleves out of the market they will wise up?
[/quote]

Why do you think it is a $5 battery? These devices are sealed because of those five dollar batteries. The $5 batteries are poorly built and start fires. And there are too many cheapskates that will use them if they could. Plus when people open the device up and replace the battery on their own, they install them wrong and start fires. This is a $35 to $40 battery in the US and Li-Ion Polymer batteries are not batteries to mess with. Do a Google search.

Also why is it when you defend a companies practices, you are accused of being a company employee? I am sick and tired of this behavior. It is insulting that I cannot simply have my own reasoned opinion.

Callaway Chrome Soft

These are the specs.

SGX battery specs:

Hi temp Li-polymer Battery pack; 3.7v, 6.66 wh, 1800mah. Product no. ENCPT505068HT.

Hi-Temp Li-Polymer Battery Pack, P/N GPS0320MG051, 3.7v, 6.66Wh, 1800mAh, 2010/06, Product No.:ENCPT505068HT E505068G, Made in China.

I had bookmarked these links for when I'm ready.

http://www.thomasdistributing.com/Lenmar-GPS305CA-37-Volt-750mAhbrRechargeable-Lithium-Ion-GPS-BatterybrReplaces-Callaway-1008000134-30200_p_2587.html

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-1100mAh-SkyGolf-SkyCaddie-SG5-GPS-Battery-/170719835349?pt=US_Batteries&hash=item27bfb1f4d5

http://www.cameronsino.net/index.asp

Hi Wayne

Thanks for taking the time to try to help me with my search for a replacement. battery for my SGX. I think you might be unlucky and disappointed if you buy any of the batteries that you have bookmarked. Two of them do not have any leads coming out of them but rely on contact pins like as in a mobile phone. The other has two wires coming out of it but the one in the SGX has four wires. I put a voltmeter on my battery to see what come out of the four wires and they are just 4v pos and neg twice. I thought great I will just solder on two more wires to the two existing and that will do nicely. Unfortunately I have been informed by an electronics expert that two of those wires will also act as a charge limiter shutting of the SGX when fully charged. He tells me that yes a fully charged battery will work until it has lost its charge but trying to recharge it using the SGX would lead to problems and maybe more. I have resigned myself for being a fool to fall into SkyGolf 's con and I am refusing to pay them £80 a year to use something that cost £300+ in the first place. I was expecting to enjoy many trouble free years of use. Unfortunately that is not the case and SkyGolf will not sell me a battery so I have bought a mobile phone power pack that gives me 3 rounds of golf and is easy to charge and cost me less than £20. The only downside of this is that you have the USB lead coming out of the SGX and disappearing into a golf bag pocket. Not a problem I will also buy myself a Garmin watch which my playing partners show me that it does all that the SGX does at no cost for downloads and when the battery expires I can buy one on eBay for less than a £1 and fit myself. The SGX will act as a backup and I will admit that I am one of the many fools who have been sucked into SkyGolf's scam. I have told SkyGolf that I will be posting a review of their useless and money eating product on all golf equipment forums but they couldn't care less. If I can stop just one person from wasting their money then it will give me satisfaction.

I am probably a little late to this party... But am going to post my .02 anyway...
1st off Charlie3110 I want you to listen (read) and listen (read) carefully....
I'M WITH YOU!!!!!
I have been a Skygolf customer for somewhere around 5 years.. going from the SG2, SG2.5 (i think) then to the SGX
Those small, cheap, 1st couple of models of the Skycaddie's FAR exceeded my satisfaction than this POS SGX
I was amazed, as I think most were, when it came out.. & I jumped on the wagon as well...
After MAYBE 18 months, battery is toast... SO.. for $90 US dollars, plus a renewal of $40.. I applied that money towards my GX-3i & told Skygolf to take this thing & shove it in their A**!!
I was really surprised at the CS I received about my complaint, being I had been what I thought was a decent customer..
CS rep that I spoke to.. sounded like he was more worried about getting to his lunch, than what my problems were with the poor excuse for a GPS
I said the same you did.. that I will tell everyone that I know (I happen to be on the board of our men's club) How TERRIBLE my experience was..
With a response that sounded like my 13yr old daughter coming from him.. basically "whatever" I was done with even bothering with that company..
Since my problems.. I have talked 2 people at my club OUT of renewing their service.. 1 went rangefinder route.. other went some other GPS...
AND serveral others have mentioned, they will not renew since using my GX-3, & not having to charge, pay, or any other headaches with it..
I have MANY ties in the golf community in my area, & am very vocal about my dissatisfaction with Skygolf..
& I only hear 2 responses from people I rant to..
1- "that's a good point, why am I still paying for a service I don't have to!"
2- "WHAT TOOK YOU SO LONG TO FIGURE IT OUT!!" (which happens to be my favorite!)
:busted2:

PING 410+ Alta 10.5
Callaway Flash SZ HZRDS Smoke 15*
TEE CBX 20*
PING i500 4-6, iBlade 7-PW DG S300 120’s
PING 2.0 Stealth 50ss 54ss 60ss
PING Redwood Anser

Don't worry Ron... I still own the 5-wood.... It's up on the mantle doing it's best impression of wall art

Hooray! I thought I was out there alone and was starting to doubt my values on how far my money should go these days. I am a bit long in the tooth and remember when everybody needed to make sure that they spent their money wisely and wanted a product that was good value for that outlay. What with Tim berating me for expecting some service from SkyGolf and me expecting more from a £300 product that is defunct after 2 years and then I am expected to pay £80 for the privilege of repairing this garbage. Yes I loved the SGX when It was working but I found that for 98% of the time I wanted to know how far the green was and not whether I could carry that bunker or ditch so a more basic item would do me just as well. Now all of my playing partners even those that had Bushnell pin-seekers are going over to the Garmin watch or the Bushnell watch having found getting their pin seeker out for every shot is becoming a chore. I have not seen the Leupold over here in the UK but it looks like a nice piece of kit.
Thank you for restoring my faith in my own values and it makes me happy that even though I know now that I have wasted £300 of my pension on something that is destined to spend its life in a draw at least I can move on to a decent product knowing that I can change the battery myself for £1 instead of being extorted by SkyGolf

• 7 months later...

[quote name='golfer28a' timestamp='1376501158' post='7675954']
hi, maybe you have sorted yourself out, but I have in th e past used [url="http://bestbattery.biz/Navigator/SkyGolf.html"]http://bestbattery.b...or/SkyGolf.html[/url] for replacement batteries at half of the price.
[/quote]
Doesn't opening up the case void warranty? i guess if it is out of warranty then i would go for it.

TM SIM2 Max 10.5 UST V 2 
TM SIM Max 15 UST V2 66g
TM Stealth HL 17 Aldila RIP Alpha 6
TM Stealth UDI 19 UST V2
TM Stealth UDI 23 UST v2 
TM P790 6-PW Nippon Modus 3 105
TM MG 3 Black 50 Nippon Modus Tour WV115
TM MG Hi-Toe 3 RAW Wedge 54 Nippon Pro WV115
TM MG Hi-Toe 3 RAW Wedge 58 Nippon Pro Modus 105 T
TM TP Hydro Blast Bandon 3

• 6 months later...

I have been in contact with Skygolf in UK and unlike last year when cost was quoted as £90 the price now has dropped to £46. I went ahead and sent my SGX back to them via Royal Mail signed for delivery (cost £2.65). 3 days later I received by UPS a replacement SGX that looks brand new. When I connected up to Caddiesync all my courses downloaded to the replacement. Upon checking my account I see that the warranty on the unit runs for over 6 months. So I am well pleased with this outcome. I suspect that they have had to lower there prices because there are now plenty of ads on Ebay listing replacement batteries along with the loss of sales to watch based GPS goods.