2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos Γ—

Okay, what local course would you love to play, but don't have access to...

Forgot about Champions in Houston, where they used to play the Tour Championship. One of the hardest tracks around with some killer rough. A place that sports at least 35 + handicaps, and over 100 from 0-4. Pretty tough competition.

TaylorMade Stealth Plus 9* HZRDUS Smoke Black 60 6.0
TaylorMade M5 14* HZRDUS Smoke Black 70 6.0
TaylorMade M5 19* HZRDUS Smoke Black 70 6.0
Ping i500 4-UW Recoil 110 F4
Ping Glide Stealth 2.0 50.0, 54 ES & 58 ES Recoil 110 F4
Bettinardi Studio Stock 28

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dansrixon, I guess I've seen East Lake too much in the winter for the Tour Championship and it always looks horrible. Maybe going by in summer time would change my mind about it.

Β 

Β 

Yeah i have been to the tour championship the last couple years, and the begining of November is not the prettiest time to play golf, hence why we are going in the spring. I like the layout of the course though...there are some real fun holes and its a real tough course.

Β 

PS...ironically my hook up there is through john deere who has a corporate membership at East Lake since they where heavily involved in the renovations.

Driver: ZX5 MKII 8.5 LS w NEWTON MOTION SHAFT 6 DOT
Fairway: Srixon ZX MKII 13.5*Β w/ GD TOUR AD M9003
Hybrid: Srixon ZX MKII 16* w/ Nippon GOST

Utility: Srixon ZX MKII 20* w/Nippon GOST
Irons: SRIXON ZX5 LIMITED EDITION BLACK C-TAPER 120 BLACK
Wedges: RTX6 50* and 56*
Putter: Frontline Elite RHO

Ball: Z-Star XV Divide

All with Bad@$$ headcovers

I live in the Atlanta Area...and there are only two courses I want to play that I cant get on

Β 

1) Atlanta Athletic CLub

2) Peachtree Golf Club

Β 

TPC Sugarloaf is over rated and I am playing East Lake this spring so that leaves these two on my list.

I've never had the opportunity to play AAC or Sugarloaf, but i did play at a club called the River Club in Suwanee Ga, that course is Unreal, beats anything i have ever played anywhere, i've played in Mytrle Beach, Pinehurst and Las Vegas. The greens were as true as TW being the worlds #1 player.

Β 

Have you ever heard of the club dansrixon? We were told that (Ron White) from blue collar comedy lived there,pretty exclusive club, there are only two pilers that expose the club, blink once and you miss it.

Gmonster

I live in the Atlanta Area...and there are only two courses I want to play that I cant get on

Β 

1) Atlanta Athletic CLub

2) Peachtree Golf Club

Β 

TPC Sugarloaf is over rated and I am playing East Lake this spring so that leaves these two on my list.

I've never had the opportunity to play AAC or Sugarloaf, but i did play at a club called the River Club in Suwanee Ga, that course is Unreal, beats anything i have ever played anywhere, i've played in Mytrle Beach, Pinehurst and Las Vegas. The greens were as true as TW being the worlds #1 player.

Β 

Have you ever heard of the club dansrixon? We were told that (Ron White) from blue collar comedy lived there,pretty exclusive club, there are only two pilers that expose the club, blink once and you miss it.

Gmonster

Β 

I have heard of it...never played it though. I will have to check it out. Suwanne is a town over from where i live.

Β 

1) Atlanta Athletic CLub

2) Peachtree Golf Club

Β 

Β 

Gmonster

Β 

I have heard of it...never played it though. I will have to check it out. Suwanne is a town over from where i live.

I would definitely recommend it,if you find a member give me a heads up :cheesy: I was able to play there because i was in a corporate tournament. I would do anything to play there again.Well almost anything :) . What do you think about Old Atlanta in Suwanee? Have you ever been there?

Gmonster

I'm from Rochester, NY but currently live 200 miles east in Albany. I visit Rochester on a monthly basis, and my grandmother lives about a driver and a 3 iron away from Oak Hill. I see it almost everytime we go, and just drool from inside the car. I would give anything to play that course, preferably the east course.

[sign here]

I'm in Houston and would love to play Lochinvar Golf Club and River Oaks Country Club. I'm sure I will get the pleasure to play both at some point and I look forward to it.

Β 

Β 

Β 

You've got to add Carlton Woods to that list. Great course. I've played both Carlton Woods and Lochinvar. Two of the best I've ever set foot on. Lochinvar is not the most difficult, but it is the most meticulously cared for course I've ever played. For those unfamiliar with Lochinvar, this is where Butch Harmon was at and coached Tiger out there for some time. Most people in Houston golf have heard of it, not many know where it is even located and even less have actually played it.

Β 

Β 

Carlton Woods is another course I would like to play, but Lochinvar is the course I would really love to get on.

Β 

1) Atlanta Athletic CLub

2) Peachtree Golf Club

Β 

Β 

Gmonster

Β 

I would definitely recommend it,if you find a member give me a heads up :cheesy: I was able to play there because i was in a corporate tournament. I would do anything to play there again.Well almost anything :) . What do you think about Old Atlanta in Suwanee? Have you ever been there?

Gmonster

Β 

I LOVE Old Atlanta, very under rated course. I think it is a fun layout. I used to play there all the time befoer they changed management. I drive past it on my way home everyday and get the urge to play it again. Old Atlanta is a great track but is Laurel Springs is the best course in Suwanee that I have played, Its a private Nicklaus course off of 141.

i'm in the dallas ft. worth area and for me its between 4 courses:

1. Vaquero (sp)

2. TPC Craig Ranch

3. Dallas National

4. Colonial

Β 

Β 

Dallas National and Colonial are two Texas courses that I would LOVE to play.

Β 

Β 

As wonderful as Colonial is 51 weeks out of the year the condition is questionable to say the least. As recently as 2 months ago 6 holes were closed. That said everything about the property is wonderful and you would be amazed at how much play they get for a club that you think of as being so exclusive. If you want to play a really good well conditioned course in Ft. Worth it's tough to bear Mira Vista and River Crest is very good also, though it doesn't have the same quality design features.

Β 

1) Atlanta Athletic CLub

2) Peachtree Golf Club

Β 

Β 

Gmonster

Β 

I would definitely recommend it,if you find a member give me a heads up (cool) I was able to play there because i was in a corporate tournament. I would do anything to play there again.Well almost anything :) . What do you think about Old Atlanta in Suwanee? Have you ever been there?

Gmonster

Β 

I LOVE Old Atlanta, very under rated course. I think it is a fun layout. I used to play there all the time befoer they changed management. I drive past it on my way home everyday and get the urge to play it again. Old Atlanta is a great track but is Laurel Springs is the best course in Suwanee that I have played, Its a private Nicklaus course off of 141.

Same here dansrixon, i think that Old Atlanta is a pretty good test of your golf skill. When did the management change? Is that the reason you don't play there anymore? I have heard of Laurel Springs but never played there. There are golf course and/or clubs all over Atlanta that are gems in the rough :)

Β 

What's your take on Wolf Creek,Reunion and Crooked Creek?

Β 

Oh yeah......... just wondering,whats your handicap?

Gmonster

1. Vaquero (sp)

2. TPC Craig Ranch

3. Dallas National

4. Colonial

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

As wonderful as Colonial is 51 weeks out of the year the condition is questionable to say the least. As recently as 2 months ago 6 holes were closed. That said everything about the property is wonderful and you would be amazed at how much play they get for a club that you think of as being so exclusive. If you want to play a really good well conditioned course in Ft. Worth it's tough to bear Mira Vista and River Crest is very good also, though it doesn't have the same quality design features.

Β 

Β 

You've got bad information. Colonial had as many as 8 holes closed in late August and early September, but it was only for 2-3 weeks at the most. The course was in incredible shape by the first week of October and has remained in great shape ever since.

Β 

The conditions can be bad during summers as has been the case ever since the greens were changed out in the late 90's. For whatever reason, a former green keeper made a very bad decision when picking out this A-4 strand of bent grass.

Β 

The new super at Colonial has done an incredible job considering all the obstacles he has faced. A complete overhaul of the greens probably wouldn't be a bad idea, but the cost is very great.

Β 

I would say that Colonial is in perfect condition about 12 weeks a year, one of those being the week of the tournament. It typically stays good until late June when the heat gets the greens then rebounds in September once we have some cool nights (it was amazing what one week of cool weather did this year). It's always in good shape from Nov-March though the fairways are not dormant.

Β 

When speaking of "poor" conditions at Colonial, it's only the greens that get bad. The rest of the course is always in good shape other than when typical maintence is done (punching, verti-cut, etc.). Though the fairways and rough are dormant right now, the greens are rolling incredibly well.

Β 

As for other courses in Fort Worth, I'd rank Shady Oaks and the Ridglea north course as my next two. Mira Vista doesn't suit my tastes, but I always score well there. Though always in great shape, Rivercrest remains that way because it get's almost no play. The layout is very short, quirky, and just not challenging other than keeping it out of the streets.

Β 

Back to the topic at hand, I'd like to play Dallas National, but haven't done so at this time.

1. Vaquero (sp)

2. TPC Craig Ranch

3. Dallas National

4. Colonial

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

You've got bad information. Colonial had as many as 8 holes closed in late August and early September, but it was only for 2-3 weeks at the most. The course was in incredible shape by the first week of October and has remained in great shape ever since.

Β 

The conditions can be bad during summers as has been the case ever since the greens were changed out in the late 90's. For whatever reason, a former green keeper made a very bad decision when picking out this A-4 strand of bent grass.

Β 

The new super at Colonial has done an incredible job considering all the obstacles he has faced. A complete overhaul of the greens probably wouldn't be a bad idea, but the cost is very great.

Β 

I would say that Colonial is in perfect condition about 12 weeks a year, one of those being the week of the tournament. It typically stays good until late June when the heat gets the greens then rebounds in September once we have some cool nights (it was amazing what one week of cool weather did this year). It's always in good shape from Nov-March though the fairways are not dormant.

Β 

When speaking of "poor" conditions at Colonial, it's only the greens that get bad. The rest of the course is always in good shape other than when typical maintence is done (punching, verti-cut, etc.). Though the fairways and rough are dormant right now, the greens are rolling incredibly well.

Β 

As for other courses in Fort Worth, I'd rank Shady Oaks and the Ridglea north course as my next two. Mira Vista doesn't suit my tastes, but I always score well there. Though always in great shape, Rivercrest remains that way because it get's almost no play. The layout is very short, quirky, and just not challenging other than keeping it out of the streets.

Β 

Back to the topic at hand, I'd like to play Dallas National, but haven't done so at this time.

Β 

Β 

Last 2 times I was at Colonial #1,2, 5,6,7, and 18 were closed.

1. Vaquero (sp)

2. TPC Craig Ranch

3. Dallas National

4. Colonial

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Last 2 times I was at Colonial #1,2, 5,6,7, and 18 were closed.

Β 

Then both times you played were between mid August and mid-September. I don't remember exactly when the holes opened up, but do know that I played there September 16th with a big group and all holes were open. I won't say the greens were in good shape by then, but they were definitely open.

Β 

Also, 2006 was the first time in over 10 years that CCC has closed any holes due to condition.

Many courses in north Texas lost their greens this past summer. From the look of it, many will lose theirs this coming summer. They're predicting a very hot, very dry summer.....again.

Β 

Nothing wrong with A-4. Yes there are better bentgrass's out there, but it's not the grass's fault.

Β 

In this area the superintendent is caught between a rock and a hard place. Water it too much; you get black algae. Water it too little; it just dies. Black algae you can kind of work with, dead grass is just dead. And bentgrass in Texas heat can be dead within a 30 minute lunch time.

Β 

This is BY FAR the hardest place I've seen to be a superintendent. For me that encompasses No. CA, Central CA, So. CA, Las Vegas NV, Long Island NY.

Mine ain't nothing fancy. I ive in Statesboro, GA and would love to play ForestHeights Country club. However, even being a ex Teaching pro, as well as doing the club repair for the course, I still can't get on :):((cool)

Β 

There's a coupleof course I would love to play in Savannah, just drawing a blank right now. Come on..It's 245 in the morning and I have to get up for work in 45 minutes. LOL

Β 

-CHRIS-

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Well Chris can take Forest Heights off his list now.... LOL Yes you are welcome!!! :)

Living here on the Monterey Peninsula, we have alot of top ranked courses, some of which i have played a few times, the courses i really wanna play, but cant either because its private or too freakin expensive would be

Β 

1. Tehema - Clint's other place

2. Pasadera - another one of Jack's places

3. Pebble - my friend just quit her job out there, no more connection

4. Cypress Point - 'nuff said

Β 

Β 

Thats about it... haha

Β 

Β 

-Derkβ„’

[font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][size=3]TM M5 460 9* [/size]
[size=3]TM M1 15* (2016)[/size]
[size=3]TM GAPR Low 17*[/size][/font]
[font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][size=3]TM P730 3-PW[/size]
[size=3]TM MG 52* SB Raw[/size]
[size=3]TM MG 58* SB Black[/size]
[size=3]Swag Handsome One Naked 35.25" [/size][/font]

I would like to be able to make it out to the Pinehurst area and play #2 and #8. According to one of my friends who got comp'ed on #8, it is better than #2. I don't know if it is true or not. It takes about $250 to play either one, then on #2 you have to pay for the looper.

Β 

There is not too much that is great in the local area that is totally private. There are good courses like a Davis Love III course called Anderson Creek. There there is Tobacco Road, Legacy, and a few others tha I can't remember off of the top of my head.

Β 

When I am back home in Las Vegas on leave, there is both of the Lake Las Vegas courses. I thought that I had a connection through my mom, but was told unless you are willing to buy a lot you can't get on. That requires a credit check to make sure you are not fooling around.

Β 

I would also like ot hit Shadow Creek, but that costs about $1000.