2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Deschamps Mid-Mallet Proto - "Last Run" from a true gentleman putter designer

A hip injury delayed my playing review of the prototype Deschamps Mid-Mallet putter below, but I am happy to report that I am healed up and have FINALLY had a chance to spend some time with this precision putting instrument on the greens.

Serge has recently suspended operations of Deschamps Custom Putters, but I'm hoping that someday he will get dragged back in to the business by the many people that have had the good fortune to deal with him.

He is a class act and a real craftsman.

The "Last Run" Deschamps Mid-Mallet Prototype is an example of how solid and performance-oriented all of the Deschamps models are.

As all Deschamps putter owners already know, part of the custom process is getting to select (from a BUNCH of performance and great-looking appearance options). I worked closely with Serge to customize to my exact specification ALL of the following items:

- Length

- Loft

- Lie

- Head Weight

- Shaft Orientation (heel, center, etc.)

- Finish (Deschamps has some unique and good-looking finish options)

- Alignment Lines / Dot (or nothing)

- Custom Stampings (including even small PHOTOS if you like)

- Headcover Color

- Shaft Color

- Grip Size & Style

I was lucky enough to be selected as one of the few WRX members to work with Serge and create my custom-fitted, Mid-Mallet proto, and then report to the GolfWRX membership about the process and the results.

Unfortunately, as you can see from the putter stamping on the sole, this proto putter is the "Last Run" of Deschamps Putters for now, as Serge has elected to focus on a new chapter in his life. We are all happy for him, and wish him nothing but the best.

Hopefully, for all the putter lovers out there, we will see him back in the game some day in the future!

Now to the putter....

I am 6'7 and use an upright SBST stroke. I also prefer a heavier head weight. So, after SEVERAL phone consultations (where Serge was incredibly patient and helpful), we went with the following specs:

- 36" length

- Centershaft (100% Face-Balanced)

- 370g head weight

- 2* Loft

- 76* Lie Angle

- Dark "Antique" finish

- Black Shaft

- Jumbo Winn Lite grip

- My initials & the Deschamps Maple Leaf Logo

As you can see from the photos below, the dark Antique finish that Serge offered is BEAUTIFUL. :wub: The photos don't do it justice, but I think there is one photo below where you can sort of see the almost "marbled" look of this dark finish. Needless to say, I absolutely LOVE this finish. No maintenance either!

The heavier head weight feels great, and the putter at address has a no-nonsense, performance-first look about it, with the single, white alignment line that I selected. One thing I don't care for on many of the new putters coming out is all the noise and nonsense on the top and with the alignment lines. I may be old-fashioned, but when I look down at my putter, all I want to see is the line I am focusing on, and a clean, non-glare & dark finish. This putter gives me exactly that performance-first look that I prefer.

The streamline, centershaft design makes alignment very straightforward and easy.

The specs are DEAD on (as everyone that has worked with Serge assured me they would be). If you haven't read it yet, check out the "Making of Mid-Mallet" thread, and you will be amazed at the level of detail that goes into every Deschamps putter.

The head has a deep and SUPER-solid feel to it, and rolls the ball beautifully. Distance control was excellent, as there is no mushy-feeling insert here, just dead-solid steel! :good:

I also LOVE the look of the black shaft with this dark head, and am now committed to using black shafts in all my putters. (cool)

If I were to change anything design-wise in my next Deschamps putter, it would be to make this head a bit larger and rounder overall. I guess all my years with the Red X2, and now the Kombi/Big Sur S, have gotten me used to a larger, rounder head shape. But I know several golfers that hate the larger-size heads that I use, so I'm sure this Mid-Mallet head size is perfect for a large percentage of golfers looking for a face-balance mallet. You certainly cannot improve on the feel of this putter.

To summarize, I couldn't be more grateful to Serge for this superb putter. His interaction with the client and his attention to detail is second to none. I sincerely hope that someday others will have the opportunity to work with this great putter designer, craftsman, and gentleman.

Best wishes Serge!! Thanks a bunch!! :friends: :drinks:

Tim

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you very much for the review Tim. I hope it gets some more bag time and makes you lots of birds and par saves. You were great to work with and are a great asset to WRX. Keep posting.

If I were to ever get back in to making putters I would start completely over including a different name. I just cannot see it happening though. Getting married in August (in Cebu city, Philippines). We want kids right away after marriage so she will not be working for a while. Machinists don't make a lot in Ottawa. Thankfully we are extremely busy so OT it is. I need guaranteed cash not an order here and there. Then God willing we have a child (or two) and there will be zero time or energy for putter making. Also I don't want to make parts at work, come home and make parts. I would rather spend time with family, take/edit pictures, cook, or start sculpting again.

Serge

• 2 weeks later...

Serge,

I wish I would have seen this thread before, Tims putter looks amazing! I understand your frustrations but seriously you are a true gentleman and the golf business could use more people like you!

That being said, I am sitting patiently waiting to putt the putter thats heading out to West Texas! In Texas, spring is already here and greens are already turning a beautiful shade of green and I look forward to rolling this putter.

Thanks again for the thread Tim, I hope I can contribute when I get a chance to putt with my very own Deshamps Putters, and Serge I wish you the best in your new adventure and your wedding bliss and I hope you guys can start a family!

Tim G