2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Going to Maui

Advice on deals and courses
We cashed in airline miles and hotel points for 6 nights at the Grand Wailea and I'm counting the days until we leave on Feb 3. Here in Colorado my snow shovel is starting to feel as comfortable as my driver. Yikes!

BTW, I'm a 7.

According to the web site, I can play the Wailea Gold for $160 and the two Makena courses for $165 each. I'm trying to justify the $295 to play the Plantation. This plan would allow me to squeeze in two other courses.

Questions:

1) Any comments on my course selection considering quality, price and condition?

2) Are there better discount deals than what I can get through the resort?

3) What other two courses should I consider?

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was just there in September, stayed at the Maui Prince. The Makena GC is nice...one of the courses (south?) runs down by the ocean, the other (north?) is up in the hills and gives you some great views around the whole island.

On a side note, if you like sushi, there is a place in the maui prince hotel that is probably the best on the island.

Last time I was there I played at Kaanapali (resort course, not tournament) and it was a lot of fun. The round was really inexpensive too, at least on Hawaii Golf stadards (I think I only paid $60). We didn't have time to play at Kapalua, but we drove up and walked around the complex. They have an amazing practice facility at one of the other courses on site besides the Plantation; can't remember which course it was at the moment.

One more thing...it may be worth your while to check out ezlinks.com to see if you can find discounted rates. For one of the days next week they have a round at the Dunes at Maui Lani which is normally $125 for $52 something. You can only book ten days out, but if you don't mind booking at the last minute, you can save a lot of money.

1. Don't take the Road to Hana - long and not worth it.

2. If you go up the Volcano, take the bike tour where they let you rent a bike with special brakes and coast all the way down. Very cool.

3. Kapalua - Expensive courses - but you are in Hawaii - everything is expensive - I like them. The Tournement course wasn't available when we were there, but the others were nice.

290 is awful steep for plantation.. damn I have not been back to Maui in like 8-9 years. Been stuck going to Oahi, Hawaii and Kauai.. Anyways Plantation is kind of a must... I paid 90 for a 2 some w/carts..but ofcourse I can speak local and look hapa howlie. :)

best deals are the golf only type packages...otherwise it can get expensive.

Woods : Callaway Razr TA, Titleist F3-05
Hybrid : Adams LSP XTD
Irons : Fourteen TC910 3&4I, Nike VRProCombo 5-PW
Wedges : Fourteen RM-11 54/60
Putter : Nike Method 003 Oven

The courses at Kaanapali are not worth your time as you will easily have a 6 hour round. One of the two is being remodeled, so they were putting 6 somes off on the other course.... It's like a nice muni with incredible views for 160....

The plantation will be in fantastic shape as the Mercedes will have just played there. It's really expensive, but you gotta do it. The greens are crazy and the wind will torture you. It's fantastic.

I would also play the Wailea Emerald course. you should get a discount there too, since you're staying at the Grand..

Nick's fishmarket is great for seafood, as is Sansei.

Cheeseburger in Paradise is fun in the Shops at Wailea.

Have been to Maui (Wailea) several times (My Wife and I were married at the Four Seasons) and have played most of the courses on the island. As for Makena, both courses are very nice. As mentioned above, the South course is closer to the ocean and the North works it's way up the hills of Haleakala. The South probably gets a little more press, although I think better players prefer the North. Either way, both are a good challenge, good condition, and worth the price. As for the three courses at Wailea, I think they are in a bit better condition than those at Makena. The Gold Course is my preference of the three, and hosts the Senior Skins Game each January. My second preference is the Emerald course, with the Blue coming in a distant third.

As for moving farther north up the island, I would highly recommend playing the Plantation Course. Yes, it is $275 to play, but well worth it. I am a 7 also, and it is all the course you want and then some. A real experience that you need to experience once, as it will really make you appreciate how good the pros. Have also played the Bay course which is nice, but not worth the 45-60 minute drive it will take you from South Maui. As for Kaanapali courses, have played both and would not bother with either. As mentioned, they are working on one of them, so maybe it will be nicer than the condition when I played. Another choice is the Dunes at Mana Lani. It is inland and a so called "links" course which is a good challenge and a bit different than the other courses on the island. It is also reasonably priced if that is an issue

If I had to three rounds of golf while there I would do one of the Makena courses, Wailea Gold, and the Plantation course. That way, you don't have to drive too far for two of your rounds, and can make a day out of heading up to Kapalua.

As for things to do when you are not golfing, enjoy the Grand Wailea. The interconnected set of pools is really great and could occupy you for the entire trip. As for the comment on not doing the road to Hana, I would have to disagree with the post above, as that is always a highlight of the trip for my wife and I, and we have been 6 times. If you like to hike/explore, you can always find something new, and it is a complete contrast to the leeward side of the island where you will be staying. As for eating, I would second many of the recommendations listed above. Sansei in Kehei is the best sushi on the island (also, they have one, the original, in Kapalua). Nick's Fishmarket at the Kea Lani has always been my favorite restaurant on the island. Other good recommendations are Roy's (about 10 minutes from the Grand Wailea) and Mama's Fish House Paia.

One recommendation I do have is to pick up a copy of Maui Revealed, as it will give you "honest" reviews and tips (especially if you go to Hana). Enjoy the trip.

Grand Wailea....good choice! Stayed there several times before. The Wailea courses are nice, but as any resort courses, they are usually slow. I'd say that the Plantation course is worth it. On that side of the island it tends to rain more, so make sure to check the weather on that side of the island. Plus, the drive there will not be a quick trip, but worth it.

Have fun in my favorite vacation spot, Maui.

Big T

Have played two of the courses at Wailea, Makena, both at Kaanapali, and all three at Kapalua over the past 15 fifteen years. Played the Plantation course this past summer. It is a must. You can book the tee time online. If you play in the afternoon the rate is approximately $125. Not sure if you are familiar with Maui, but the drive from Wailea to Kapalua is not short and it is a two-lane road. Did not play Kaanapali this past trip, but it looked like they were near completion of a remodel on one of the courses.

Four years ago, we spent 10 days on Maui and we took advantage of twilight times in booking tee times in advance.

However, on the Plantation course the first day, we began talking to the pro waiting for our 2pm time. We talked about things back in Texas (his hometown was near ours in Austin) and he asked our handicaps (around 6 to 9).

There wasn't much play so he let us go off early at the twilight rate AND told us about a game with several of the locals and pros the next day. That next morning, we showed up and were quickly put in a game with about 25 local players and assistant pros. We were charged the local resident rate which was far less than the normal twilight fee.

We changed our plans (from playing 4 times to 8) and ended up playing all the courses on the island over the next 9 days with different assistant pros and local guys -- all really good guys and the experience was great. The cost was well discounted. Twice, we actually met others at Kapalua and drove with them to McKenna and Wailea, hearing stories about golf and the island.

I don't know if "the game" is still going on but try hitting the pro shop a little early the first day and ask about it. If you're able to fall into it like we did, it will me something to remember. From my perspective, Kaanipali is too overplayed....Wailea was disapointingly easy. McKenna was not bad and the Plantation and Village courses at Kapalua are good (the Bay is nice as well).

Stayed at the Grand Waileau twice. Last time was in 2000. The place is undescribleable. By far the best accomadations and site i've ever been. If there is heaven on earth, i'm pretty sure that's it. Your gonna love it from the moment you pass by the waterfall on the way in. I'm so jealous. You may not even want to leave the pools and the beach and waste time putting for pars accross the street. Who am i kidding. Makena is awesome. I forget which one I liked better, but one was definitely better, I think its the North, but they are both good. I'd definitely try and play one of the Kapalua courses. I really liked the Village course, it was really fun and the Plantation goes without saying. Its about an hour drive. And spend as much time in the Spa at th GW as you can, that a blast. There is also a cool winery not to far from there as well, which is fun and that only take s coupe of hours. Enjoy.

Went to Maui (first time) this last summer. Some thoughts...

1) Golf: Played Wailea Gold, Makena North, Plantation

Loved the Gold Course. Well kept, beautiful views, relatively challenging. Makena North had gorgeous views of Molakini from the hills, kept fine, and I played in 3 hours! Plantation, oh this mother....so hard, so windy, quit playing golf afterwards for 3 months. BUT, the 410 yd drive I hit on 18, and watching the Mercedes this week made me realize it was all worth it. I may even do it again someday!

2) Rates: Try www.teetimeshawaii.com for some good deals. I played the Plantation at a special rate around 11 for $200. Saved a little cash. I also have since heard of "the game". If you can get in, cheaper and alot of fun. Staying at the Grand, you can get a deal and play there for much discounted.

3) Definitely get the Maui Revealed book. Super helpful.

4) Did the Road to Hana. If you like 10+ hours of driving on narrow roads that twist and turn, check it out. We got a CD that helped identify sites coming up, where to park, etc, that helped. Saw some amazing waterfalls, some disappointing ones, and overall had a great day. Check out the caves at one of the state parks (forget the name) with the black sand beach. Once you get to Hana, or just past, come back the way you came...easier drive.

5) If you like sushi, check out Sansei in Kihei. They open for a late night seating (I think at 10 pm...you'll see the line outside) where it's 50% off, they have karaoke going, great time!

Aloha!

If you like sushi, check out Sansei in Kihei.

Seconded.

I was there in December for business (Grand Wailea) and had Friday afternoon and Saturday off. Played 54 holes. 18 on Friday at the Grand Wailea Emerald. Didn't like it. Ho hum golf course, greens kinda slow and very bumpy...not worth it. 36 on Saturday on the Gold Course...worth every penny. We were the first group out in the morning and were on 4 or 5 when the sun finally peeked over the volcano. Had lunch there and jumped back on a little after noon. Dreading a slow round, we played as a twosome, through one group and finished in 3 hours.

I've been there twice, both for business, and due to the commitments that go with that have not yet made the drive up to Kapalua. Maybe next December.

Titleist TSR2 10*, Ventus Blue
Titleist TSR2 15*, Ventus Blue
Titleist TSR2 18*, GD IZ
Titleist T100s, 4-GW, PX
Vokey SM9 54, 58
Scotty Super Rat 1
Pro V1x