Who Is Turned Off By Taylormade?

Big Ben

[quote name='Sean2' timestamp='1365745577' post='6817105']
I wonder for you folks that dislike TaylorMade so much, if they contacted you and said the following, would you all turn them down flat?

"We'd like you to be a brand ambassador. We would fly you to the Kingdom in Carlsbad, where you would undergo a two day fitting by our staff that also fit DJ, Sergio, and our other professionals (this would include a ball fitting). You would also meet with one of our fashionistas where a complete wardrobe would be worked out for you. In addition to a complete fitting, clubs, balls, and wardrobe, you would also receive a staff bag and stand bag (both with your name stitched on them), towels, hats, shoes, and any accessory you can think of would also be included. You would stay an additional two days for a few rounds of golf to break in your new equipment. Of course all expenses would be paid.

"After you return home, you will have your own personal rep, who you can contact for anything you need, be it equipment, clothes, accessories or what have you at no cost to you."
[/quote]

[color=#282828]Yuck... That's like injecting everything I dislike upon me. Why would I want that? I've been to the outdoor fitting facility at PING and it's nice but I know my specs.[/color]

[color=#282828]There is nothing appealing about your package. I have clubs hats and towels are free at my club. And to have my own TMAG bag with my name embroidered on it would be embarrassing and actually my worst nightmare. And after seeing their wardrobe at the Masters, "I'm good, but thanks".[/color]

Callaway 816 DBD 9° Speeder TS
Titleist 915f 15° Diamana Blue
Callaway Apex Pro hybrid 3/20°
Callaway Apex Pro '16 4-A, Modus 120-TS
Vokey 50/54/60
Odyssey Works Rossie

• Replies 494
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='station2station' timestamp='1365724797' post='6814757']
I know a lot of golfers and I play a ton. There is DEFINITELY a pullback from the brand. It's obvious to me from my viewpoint. Of the 35-40 guys I see at my course who I'm on a first name basis with, there are 3-4 TMAG drivers, 2-3 irons sets. Mostly Titleist, PING and Mizuno at my club. Our club has 500 members and very low TMAG presence in our Pro Shop. Mostly PING and Titleist. It's more traditional. I've even seen WIlson make a degree of a comeback.
[/quote]

My club is the same way....the reason is that it is too hard for them to carry TMAG product, due to all of the release cycles and resultant price drops/sales. Ping and Titleist don't put new product out as often, and don't discount, so it's a lot easier to stock. Also, Titleist, Ping, and Mizuno all carry a more traditional, luxury image with them, kind of like driving an Audi versus a VW. I think a good number of guys play those brands at my club because of the image they carry.

TMAG is more about volume and the masses (like driving a Dodge or Chevy), so you are more likely to see them mass marketed at bigger chains to your more recreational golfer.

So, just looking at who is playing what at your private club may not be a valid indicator, IMO. I also don't see Callaway on my course much. Same reasons.

I see plenty of guys on muni tracks playing their stuff though.

Member of TMAG #TeamJetspeed 2013

[quote name='chickenpotpie' timestamp='1365778380' post='6819149']
[quote name='station2station' timestamp='1365724797' post='6814757']
I know a lot of golfers and I play a ton. There is DEFINITELY a pullback from the brand. It's obvious to me from my viewpoint. Of the 35-40 guys I see at my course who I'm on a first name basis with, there are 3-4 TMAG drivers, 2-3 irons sets. Mostly Titleist, PING and Mizuno at my club. Our club has 500 members and very low TMAG presence in our Pro Shop. Mostly PING and Titleist. It's more traditional. I've even seen WIlson make a degree of a comeback.
[/quote]

My club is the same way....the reason is that it is too hard for them to carry TMAG product, due to all of the release cycles and resultant price drops/sales. Ping and Titleist don't put new product out as often, and don't discount, so it's a lot easier to stock. Also, Titleist, Ping, and Mizuno all carry a more traditional, luxury image with them, kind of like driving an Audi versus a VW. I think a good number of guys play those brands at my club because of the image they carry.

TMAG is more about volume and the masses (like driving a Dodge or Chevy), so you are more likely to see them mass marketed at bigger chains to your more recreational golfer.

So, just looking at who is playing what at your private club may not be a valid indicator, IMO. I also don't see Callaway on my course much. Same reasons.

I see plenty of guys on muni tracks playing their stuff though.
[/quote]

Exactly - TMAG has their market. While there are some good players that have their gear, it seems their focus is on the mid-high capper these days. I think this is why they bother WRX'ers. Guys that know better.

The Masters: It's like watching the Monaco Grand Prix on the SPEED channel and being constantly bombarded by Subaru WRX commercials each ad break. A bit grating.

Vokey 50/54/60
Odyssey Works Rossie

[quote name='station2station' timestamp='1365781854' post='6819689']
Exactly - TMAG has their market. While there are some good players that have their gear, it seems their focus is on the mid-high capper these days. [/quote]

That probably is its demographic. Makes sense as a business model, since there are so many more mediocre golfers than really good golfers.

[quote] I think this is why they bother WRX'ers. Guys that know better.
[/quote]

You lost me here. Most folks can distinguish between a marketing campaign and the quality of product (even if those two things are the same). Well, I don't know that they can, but I hope they can. Do you dislike TM's campaigns AND think its equipment is bad (or can only benefit high-cappers)? I don't understand your "guys that know better" comment.

[quote name='KMeloney' timestamp='1365782789' post='6819803']
[quote name='station2station' timestamp='1365781854' post='6819689']
Exactly - TMAG has their market. While there are some good players that have their gear, it seems their focus is on the mid-high capper these days. [/quote]

That probably is its demographic. Makes sense as a business model, since there are so many more mediocre golfers than really good golfers.

[quote] I think this is why they bother WRX'ers. Guys that know better.
[/quote]

You lost me here. Most folks can distinguish between a marketing campaign and the quality of product (even if those two things are the same). Well, I don't know that they can, but I hope they can. Do you dislike TM's campaigns AND think its equipment is bad (or can only benefit high-cappers)? I don't understand your [b]"guys that know better" comment[/b].
[/quote]

I don't either. Know better than what? In reference to what?

[quote name='station2station' timestamp='1365777734' post='6819035']
I wonder for you folks that dislike TaylorMade so much, if they contacted you and said the following, would you all turn them down flat?

"We'd like you to be a brand ambassador. We would fly you to the Kingdom in Carlsbad, where you would undergo a two day fitting by our staff that also fit DJ, Sergio, and our other professionals (this would include a ball fitting). You would also meet with one of our fashionistas where a complete wardrobe would be worked out for you. In addition to a complete fitting, clubs, balls, and wardrobe, you would also receive a staff bag and stand bag (both with your name stitched on them), towels, hats, shoes, and any accessory you can think of would also be included. You would stay an additional two days for a few rounds of golf to break in your new equipment. Of course all expenses would be paid.

"After you return home, you will have your own personal rep, who you can contact for anything you need, be it equipment, clothes, accessories or what have you at no cost to you."
[/quote]

[color=#282828]Yuck... That's like injecting everything I dislike upon me. Why would I want that? I've been to the outdoor fitting facility at PING and it's nice but I know my specs.[/color]

[color=#282828]There is nothing appealing about your package. I have clubs hats and towels are free at my club. And to have my own TMAG bag with my name embroidered on it would be embarrassing and actually my worst nightmare. And after seeing their wardrobe at the Masters, "I'm good, but thanks".[/color]
[/quote]

Okay. Just thought I'd ask. You are probably one of the few on GolfWRX who wouldn't want the same treatment as a touring pro.

[quote name='PedronNiall' timestamp='1365746551' post='6817131']
Just wanted to comment on club pros pushing TM gear: club pros hype whatever their main schtick is. I've met some who swear by Ping, some who swear by Titleist, Callaway, whatever, and steer their clients that way, period. Maybe TM offers more incentives, but they aren't the only brand getting preferential treatment by the guys running things at local courses.
[/quote]

I've never had anyone try to push equipment on me. Our facility is HUGE on Titleist and none of the pros or staff push Titleist on anyone. None of the golf shops I go to try to push one OEM over another. I'm kind of surprised to hear this...and annoyed. As I said above try different equipment and play what works best for you. No one should push one brand over another. At most, they should simply say, "Give it a try and see what you think."

[quote name='Sean2' timestamp='1365783355' post='6819889']

[/quote]

[/quote]

Okay. Just thought I'd ask. You are probably one of the few on GolfWRX who wouldn't want the same treatment as a touring pro.
[/quote]

If your question is just that, "same treatment as a touring pro" then yes it sounds great. Just not for TMAG. The more people feel the need to continually jump in to defend a brand/person/opinion, the more some people are turned off. It's just life.

MP600
Cleveland Launcher (09) 15*
Cleveland TA7 2-iron DG S/L
Cleveland TA1 3-9
Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58
Cleveland Classic 2

[quote name='Sean2' timestamp='1365786518' post='6820403']
^^^I defended Nike when a lot of people said they made "junk" (no OEM's make junk), and I didn't play any Nike equipment. And the more people gang up on someone or something (unfairly in my opinion) the more I'll rush in to defend them or it.
[/quote]

Yeah, that was sort of my point exactly. Thank you.

And for the record I've called some equipment junk (drivers that crack, irons designed to rust away to nothing, inconsistent clubs of any kind) but never called any particular OEM junk as a whole. Pretty sure that just like they all make good stuff they've all made a dud or two over the years.

MP600
Cleveland TA1 3-9
Cleveland Classic 2

[/quote]

[/quote]

That's a ridiculous statement. Because I don't want a TMAG bag and fitting I'm in some rare minority. I choose my equipment. I don't need free balls and hats and stickers and Rocketbladez of all things..

It's like trying to convince me to like country music because I like other varieties of music. "But what if I got you backstage passes and free airfare to a Brad Paisley show? You'd be all over it"

No I wouldn't. It's best not to try and persuade me to like their gear because you won't play anything but TM. One of my good buddies is our TM rep. Even he knows not to try to get me to play the stuff

Vokey 50/54/60
Odyssey Works Rossie

[quote name='station2station' timestamp='1365793573' post='6821709'] [quote name='Sean2' timestamp='1365783355' post='6819889'] [quote name='station2station' timestamp='1365777734' post='6819035'] [color=#282828]There is nothing appealing about your package. I have clubs hats and towels are free at my club. And to have my own TMAG bag with my name embroidered on it would be embarrassing and actually my worst nightmare. And after seeing their wardrobe at the Masters, "I'm good, but thanks".[/color] [/quote] Okay. Just thought I'd ask. You are probably one of the few on GolfWRX who wouldn't want the same treatment as a touring pro.

[/quote] That's a ridiculous statement. [b]Because I don't want a TMAG bag and fitting I'm in some rare minority.[/b] I choose my equipment. I don't need free balls and hats and stickers and Rocketbladez of all things.. It's like trying to convince me to like country music because I like other varieties of music. "But what if I got you backstage passes and free airfare to a Brad Paisley show? You'd be all over it" No I wouldn't. It's best not to try and persuade me to like their gear because you won't play anything but TM. One of my good buddies is our TM rep. Even he knows not to try to get me to play the stuff [/quote]

I was in the minority too, and they gave me a free set anyway. Even when I went into the thread to troll. And I didn't know it was a giveaway at the time. And it is still muddy and cold so I don't whether I like them or not.

I am so confused.

Titleist Tsi3 9/Tensei White 65x

Titleist Tsi2 16.5/Tensei White 75x

Titleist 818 h2 21/Tensei White 95x

Mizuno Mp-20 mb 4-Pw/Dynamic Gold 120x

Mizuno T22 50, 54, 58/Dynamic Gold s400

Bettinardi Studio Stock #8

Titleist ProV1x

[quote name='station2station' timestamp='1365793573' post='6821709']
[/quote]

[/quote]

That's a ridiculous statement. Because I don't want a TMAG bag and fitting I'm in some rare minority. I choose my equipment. I don't need free balls and hats and stickers and Rocketbladez of all things..

It's like trying to convince me to like country music because I like other varieties of music. "But what if I got you backstage passes and free airfare to a Brad Paisley show? You'd be all over it"

No I wouldn't. It's best not to try and persuade me to like their gear because you won't play anything but TM. One of my good buddies is our TM rep. Even he knows not to try to get me to play the stuff
[/quote]

I wouldn't go to a Brad Paisley show either. Bad analogy.

You obviously didn't read any of my previous posts. I would never try to persuade anyone to play any brand. Why not re-read some of my previous posts where I say that? But since you didn't read those posts I'll summarize. People should try different brands and play what they prefer. All I was trying to say...and you obviously missed the point completely...was if an average Joe golfer had the chance to get treated like a touring pro he would probably enjoy that opportunity be it from Bridgestone, Wilson, Ping, Cobra, Callaway, Nike, or whoever. I just used TM as an example. Oy vey...

[quote name='Sean2' timestamp='1365797395' post='6822361']
[quote name='station2station' timestamp='1365793573' post='6821709']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[b]I wouldn't go to a Brad Paisley show either. Bad analogy.[/b]

You obviously didn't read any of my previous posts. I would never try to persuade anyone to play any brand. Why not re-read some of my previous posts where I say that? But since you didn't read those posts I'll summarize. [b]People should try different brands and play what they prefer. All I was trying to say...and you obviously missed the point completely[/b]...was if an average Joe golfer had the chance to get treated like a touring pro he would probably enjoy that opportunity be it from Bridgestone, Wilson, Ping, Cobra, Callaway, Nike, or whoever. I just used TM as an example. Oy vey...
[/quote]

Or he got the point completely?!?

MP600
Cleveland TA1 3-9
Cleveland Classic 2

[quote name='Sean2' timestamp='1365798742' post='6822611']
^^^No. Going to a concert versus being treated like a touring pro? I don't see the similarity.

Anyway, all I was looking for was a little fairness. Obviously I'm not going to find it here. The irrational dislike precludes any rational discourse.
[/quote]

I was making an observation and now I'm a hat*** too. yeesh.

MP600
Cleveland TA1 3-9
Cleveland Classic 2

[quote name='ABgolfer2' timestamp='1365800385' post='6822837']
^^^No. Going to a concert versus being treated like a touring pro? I don't see the similarity.

Anyway, all I was looking for was a little fairness. Obviously I'm not going to find it here. The irrational dislike precludes any rational discourse.
[/quote]

[/quote]

Didn't you say this in another thread, and I quote: "I do enjoy the TM as good or evil debate. It's funny to watch people trash or defend a brand of golf equipment." So I wonder what your motive is in this discussion.

And I don't recall hurling any invectives at you.

I dont like Taylormade because their marketing is terrible and it makes them look incredibly desperate... not to mention juvenile.

Their approach is inherently gimmicky, especially with a stupid name like "rocketballz".

Why dont I go to the driving range and call in the ROFFLECOPTER on everyone swinging taylormade for the LOLZ 'cause they think theyre some l33t golfer.

Understand?

[quote name='Sean2' timestamp='1365783517' post='6819915']
Just wanted to comment on club pros pushing TM gear: club pros hype whatever their main schtick is. I've met some who swear by Ping, some who swear by Titleist, Callaway, whatever, and steer their clients that way, period. Maybe TM offers more incentives, but they aren't the only brand getting preferential treatment by the guys running things at local courses.
[/quote]

I've never had anyone try to push equipment on me. Our facility is HUGE on Titleist and none of the pros or staff push Titleist on anyone. None of the golf shops I go to try to push one OEM over another. I'm kind of surprised to hear this...and annoyed. As I said above try different equipment and play what works best for you. No one should push one brand over another. At most, they should simply say, "Give it a try and see what you think."
[/quote]

I'm not meaning anything crazy like absolutely steering people away from one brand, but it's not unusual to run into clubs pushing their main manufacturers. I would be surprised if I ask a pro what he/she thinks I should get if I ever hear "try out a few different heads/brands/etc and see what works best for you." The only ones I ever hear that from are actual clubfitters for the most part.

[quote name='PedronNiall' timestamp='1365815804' post='6824999']
[/quote]

[/quote]

I'm not meaning anything crazy like absolutely steering people away from one brand, but it's not unusual to run into clubs pushing their main manufacturers. I would be surprised if I ask a pro what he/she thinks I should get if I ever hear "try out a few different heads/brands/etc and see what works best for you." The only ones I ever hear that from are actual clubfitters for the most part.
[/quote]

That's too bad. I understand why they do it, but I think they would develop a lot more respect from their membership if they did encourage them to try different options. By the way, congratulations on post 1000. :-)

[quote name='Sean2' timestamp='1365803800' post='6823321']

[/quote]

[/quote]

Didn't you say this in another thread, and I quote: "I do enjoy the TM as good or evil debate. It's funny to watch people trash or defend a brand of golf equipment." So I wonder what your motive is in this discussion.

[/quote]

How is that comment relevant to this thread? But now that I mention it, why did you make a point of not quoting me in this thread - arrows only - then quoting me out of context from that one?

I was stating (in this thread) an observation that when someone dislikes a service or product, someone vehemently defending it often causes the hater to dig their heels in. Then the defender does likewise. Seen it a few times in other forums.

MP600
Cleveland TA1 3-9
Cleveland Classic 2

[quote name='ABgolfer2' timestamp='1365819926' post='6825481']
[quote name='Sean2' timestamp='1365803800' post='6823321']

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

How is that comment relevant to this thread? But now that I mention it, why did you make a point of not quoting me in this thread - arrows only - then quoting me out of context from that one?

I was stating (in this thread) an observation that when someone dislikes a service or product, someone vehemently defending it often causes the hater to dig their heels in. Then the defender does likewise. Seen it a few times in other forums.
[/quote]

I use the ^^^ when quoting would make the particular post extremely long. The ^^^ reference the post directly above. Simple enough. Again, I'm not being "vehement". I will say this [b]yet again[/b]. As I said above try different equipment and play what works best for you. No one should push one brand over another. At most, they should simply say, "Give it a try and see what you think."

And again: I think the level of vitriol and invective being hurled at TM is a bit over the top. That's not being "vehement". Just matter of fact. And again, TaylorMade isn't a terrorist group, they are a golf company. They employ 950 or so people. Who support families, and local economies, and contribute to the golf industry. Aren't these good things?

See, no foaming at the mouth. No vitriol. No emotionally laden words. Just a bit of common sense. See, that's not being "vehement".

I made a mistake and I'll admit it and exit from this discussion. Unfortunately, some people are so emotionally charged over TM that my attempt to inject a bit of rationality into this topic, a bit of fairness fell flat.

What did I expect would happen when I pee'd into the wind?

^^^So why did you quote me out of context from another thread?

Probably good you did though, because that opens the door to use other threads to make a point. I was saying that for some folks, it's the people who are quick to defend an OEM that turned them off the brand in the first place. For example, I used to pull for Tiger until I stumbled upon golf forums. A few hardcore TW fans ruined his brand for me.

The guy who you say had no clue what you were saying is perhaps guilty of a poor analogy, but consider his POV. Actually consider mine instead because I liked his analogy. Someone who hates country music turning down a chance to see a Brad Paisley, Vince Gill, or Keith Urban (for example) in the right venue because they hate country is turning down an opportunity to have his mind blown. Their loss - just my opinion because I both like and respect those brands (current albums notwithstanding).

MP600
Cleveland TA1 3-9
Cleveland Classic 2

[quote name='Sean2' timestamp='1365816212' post='6825037']
[quote name='PedronNiall' timestamp='1365815804' post='6824999']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

That's too bad. I understand why they do it, but I think they would develop a lot more respect from their membership if they did encourage them to try different options. By the way, congratulations on post 1000. :-)
[/quote]

:birthday:

[quote name='ABgolfer2' timestamp='1365830399' post='6826625']

Probably good you did though, because that opens the door to use other threads to make a point. I was saying that for some folks, it's the people who are quick to defend an OEM that turned them off the brand in the first place. For example, I used to pull for Tiger until I stumbled upon golf forums. A few hardcore TW fans ruined his brand for me.

The guy who you say had no clue what you were saying is perhaps guilty of a poor analogy, but consider his POV. Actually consider mine instead because I liked his analogy. Someone who hates country music turning down a chance to see a Brad Paisley, Vince Gill, or Keith Urban (for example) in the right venue because they hate country is turning down an opportunity to have his mind blown. Their loss - just my opinion because I both like and respect those brands (current albums notwithstanding).
[/quote]

Then you are saying you would try TM? I would probably go for the experience notwithstanding what I said previously because I was not crazy about the analogy. I've seen Fischer-Dieskau, Muddy Waters, Molly Hatchet, etc...why not Brad Paisley? By the way, I do listen to country on occasion.

Nice to see we can all keep an open mind here. :-)

[quote name='Sean2' timestamp='1365860684' post='6829185']
[quote name='ABgolfer2' timestamp='1365830399' post='6826625']

[/quote]

Then you are saying you would try TM? I would probably go for the experience notwithstanding what I said previously because I was not crazy about the analogy. I've seen Fischer-Dieskau, Muddy Waters, Molly Hatchet, etc...why not Brad Paisley? By the way, I do listen to country on occasion.

[/quote]

Try the clubs, yes. Become a Tmag posterboy? Not without getting a paycheque.

MP600
Cleveland TA1 3-9
Cleveland Classic 2

[quote name='Sean2' timestamp='1365860684' post='6829185']
I've seen Fischer-Dieskau, Muddy Waters, Molly Hatchet, etc...why not Brad Paisley? By the way, I do listen to country on occasion.

[/quote]

GREAT guitar player, Brad. Can't stand country - rather hear gangster rap. WOn't deny his abilities. There is a video of him testing his new Dr. Z amplifier on YouTube - - guy shreds.

...still hate tmag :)

Vokey 50/54/60
Odyssey Works Rossie