2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Headed to Kauai in a couple weeks

nfinch10

Going to Kauai for a week, in about 2 weeks. It will be my first time Kauai, as well as Hawaii in general. I'm bringing my clubs, and my brother and I will be looking to get as much golf in as possible. I'm looking for recomendations on where to play as well as things to do. We have no problem splurging on some nicer courses, but I'm curious about reasonably priced one's as well. Thanks in advance for any advice, my appologies if this has been posted many times before!

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='nfinch10' timestamp='1360087792' post='6367635']
Going to Kauai for a week, in about 2 weeks. It will be my first time Kauai, as well as Hawaii in general. I'm bringing my clubs, and my brother and I will be looking to get as much golf in as possible. I'm looking for recomendations on where to play as well as things to do. We have no problem splurging on some nicer courses, but I'm curious about reasonably priced one's as well. Thanks in advance for any advice, my appologies if this has been posted many times before!
[/quote]

Princeville is the class of the island. Puoypo Bay (that is not correct spelling) is good resort course. There is a course near the Marriott (i think) that was good. it is right near the airport like only couple minutes away. There is also a good MUNI i was told that is rumored to be in great shape and cheap but i didn't find out about it until it was to late.

They have a very cool zip line there you should do that. Take a whale watching boat...that was cool!! they got some big waterfalls you can go to and jump in various heights, rent a scooter (a big one) and buzz around the island. is small place and they have a main drag that runs probably 80 percent of the way around the island. There some hikes and surfing on the northern and western, they have huge canyons to the south and west...great island, havbe fun.

Thanks for the advice! I'll have to look into the Muni that you decribed. Do I need to make tee times way in advance at the other 3 you mentioned or can I do it when we get there?

So there is surfing there? I was hoping to learn to surf but had been told that there wasn't as much surfing off Kauai as there is on the other islands.

[quote name='nfinch10' timestamp='1360097878' post='6368549']
Thanks for the advice! I'll have to look into the Muni that you decribed. Do I need to make tee times way in advance at the other 3 you mentioned or can I do it when we get there?

So there is surfing there? I was hoping to learn to surf but had been told that there wasn't as much surfing off Kauai as there is on the other islands.
[/quote]

there was a bunch of surfing just past princeville north and west of airport - how it compares to others i don't know...everything to me references off the airport. i didn't get involved with the T times so i am not sure how far in advance they were booked.

We took a flight to see pearl harbor while we there as well. we went to Waikiki and so on. that was a worthwhile day. if you like history at all it is outstanding.

can't wait to go back when my youngest gets into college!!

Most don't go to Hawaii for golf. Overpriced tourist courses.

That said. I'll be visiting Kauai in April and hope to get in a round, maybe two. The Prince course seems to garner the highest rankings so I will probably play there. Looking at the online rack rates, it is not even the most expensive. I'm also considering Wailua (the muni) for the second round. $48 weekday can't be beat.

Definitely do Wailua....its pretty good.

I played that Wailua, Poipu, Princeville Prince and Kauai Lagoons when I went a few years ago. I know Prince gets all the hype...but I really liked Kauai Lagoons the best of the bunch.

Callaway Rogue ST, 10.5, GD Tour AD IZ
Callaway Rogue 4&7 Fairway, GD Tour AD IZ
Srixon U85 4-6, ZX7 7-SW PX LZ 6.0
Cleveland RTX4 60 PX LZ 6.0
Evnroll 5.2 Short Slant
Snell MTB-X Yellow

[quote name='teejaywhy' timestamp='1360253156' post='6380877']
Most don't go to Hawaii for golf. Overpriced tourist courses.

That said. I'll be visiting Kauai in April and hope to get in a round, maybe two. The Prince course seems to garner the highest rankings so I will probably play there. Looking at the online rack rates, it is not even the most expensive. I'm also considering Wailua (the muni) for the second round. $48 weekday can't be beat.
[/quote]

agreed on both parts of this being i wouldn't call it a golf trip but if you are going to play a couple rounds you have good options. it is an amazing set of islands and the courses are a lot of fun. i am early riser, i got up a couple mornings was out early and back early afternoon. the boss relaxed by pool waiting for me. it was good.

[quote name='Reidman' timestamp='1360255286' post='6381157']
Definitely do Wailua....its pretty good.

I played that Wailua, Poipu, Princeville Prince and Kauai Lagoons when I went a few years ago. I know Prince gets all the hype...but I really liked Kauai Lagoons the best of the bunch.
[/quote]

Agree with Reidman.

Wailua is a must play in my opinion. The Prince, Poipu, and Kauai Lagoons are great as well. However, it is major $ for a minor bump in quality.

If looking to play as much as possible, then do those are the 4 I like in no particular order.

Wailua Golf Course is well worth the $42 dollar weekday rate. It is an easy walk and when I was there was in great condition. They only take cash and there is not any food on site so be prepared. This is a shot from #17 tee, it is a downhill par 3 that plays about 175 yards.

[attachment=1527641:17wgc.jpg]

Poipu Bay was a nice resort course that had some great views and perfect conditioning. It was fun but other than the views nothing special. This is the tee shot on 15, a very long par 4 on the card but plays downhill and down wind.

[attachment=1527643:15pb.jpg]

Some of the other highlights of our trip were riding up to Waimea Canyon State Park

[attachment=1527645:wc.jpg]

Hiking up on the North Shore

[attachment=1527649:ns.jpg]

Kayaking on the Wailua River and biking on the Ke Ala Hele Makalae. There are lots of great beaches from Tunnels and Hanalei up north to Kealia on the east cost to Poipu in the south.

We stayed in Kapaa and eat mostly in that area, we really enjoyed Hemingway’s’ Café for breakfast and the Mermaid Café for dinner. There is a Bubba Burger up in Hanalei that was good for lunch one day and the Merriman's Fish House bar down near Poipu had a Kalua Pig and Pineapple pizza that was great.

Have a great time.

Highly recommend the guide: "The Ultimate Kauai Guidebook: Kauai Revealed" We used the Maui version on our previous trip and found it a great resource.

FYI - If you have an iPhone, they sell this guidebook in an app that will link all the restaurants, beach access, hikes and other destinations to your GPS. Sounds cool, wish they had it for the Droid.

The Prince course is the best in my opinion and go to Princeville early and have breakfast out on the deck of the hotel.

Callaway Rouge 9* Aldila Rogue Silver 44.5"
Tour Edge Exotics E8 Beta 15* Aldila Rogue Silver
PING G410 Crossover 2i Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro Blue 80
PING i230 4-U Recoil F4 Smac Wrap
Vokey SM7 Black 54f - 58k
Scotty Cameron Futura X7M 33"

Make sure you go snorkling in Poipu Bay, it was awesome! I went there last year for my HM. I cannot wait to go back to Hawaii. When you drive over near Poipu Bay beach, make sure you track down "Pukka Dogs".....SOOOOO GOOD!!!! They basically make hot dogs and add some sauces to them..really good quick eats. The one I went to was in a sort of an outlet type open mall.

I played Poipu Bay course when I was there. Nice track and the greens were awesome! Some kind of special new grass they had installed a few years back. It seems like Bermuda but doesn't have the grain.

We also hit Maui and I played the plantation course. God I love Hawaii..... my pic is actually me playing the down hill par 3 at Kapalua.

Titleist TSi2 10, Fujikura Ventus Blue Velocore 6X, 45"

Titleist TSi2 16.5, Fujikura Ventus Red Velocore 7X, 43"

TaylorMade GAPR Mid 4, KBS

Titleist T100S, KBS C-Taper S+ 5-PW

Titleist SM8, 50F, 54S, 60D, TT S400 Custom 

Scotty Cameron Phantom X12, 35", Stability Tour

[url="https://www.instagram.com/dnice262626/"]https://www.instagram.com/dnice262626/[/url]

I moved to Kauai about 4 months ago and am loving it so far. There is a ton to do and see on this island, yes I would get the blue guidebook or also checkout tripadvisor.com and try to do the top things listed. Make plans and explore! Dont spend all your days sitting by the pool at the resort!

I would definitely check out the Prince course. Its an absolutely amazing (BUT VERY DIFFICULT) course. The views and just spending 4 hours on the awesome grounds is worth the price of admission. The weather on the north shore can be a little dicey. I would wait until you get here and keep an eye on the weather. Pick a day with 30% or less chance of rain to really enjoy it. The north shore can be cloudy/rainy at times, but when the weather is nice its one of the most beautiful places on earth!

Wailua is a great value. A few holes on the ocean and all in all a great challenging muni.

Although its expensive the helicopter ride around the island is awesome. It was truly a life changing experience for me. Amazing.

What area of the island are you staying in? That will dictate alot of what you are doing.

Last but not least if you and your brother are are looking for a 3rd in your group and a lil local knowledge at the course let me know and I would love to join!

For cheaper tee times check out:
www.golfnow.com
www.ezlinks.com

Played Kauai Lagoons (back 9 is GREAT front 9 is less than memorable) and The Prince course last summer. Both courses were great but I really LOVED The Prince course. I just wish I had brought my clubs with me instead of renting! Walked around a little on Poipu Bay but didn't play it. Good looking course!

A ton of great places to eat on the island. We loved the aforementioned Puka Dog (polish dog, hot-hot sauce, pineapple relish, and lilikoi mustard was my favorite), Plantation Gardens Restaurant and Bar, The Beach House (amazing everything!), Kalaheo Cafe and Coffee Company (my favorite for a decent breakfast at a good price-- the owner was a heck of a nice guy), any of the Shrimp Stations on the island are pretty good, and Koloa Fish Market (great plate lunches!) are places I would recommend.

I was also a big fan of just stopping at a grocery store and picking up some spam or chicken musubi. SO freaking good!

[quote name='dewnami' timestamp='1360669798' post='6412039']
I moved to Kauai about 4 months ago and am loving it so far. There is a ton to do and see on this island, yes I would get the blue guidebook or also checkout tripadvisor.com and try to do the top things listed. Make plans and explore! Dont spend all your days sitting by the pool at the resort!

I would definitely check out the Prince course. Its an absolutely amazing (BUT VERY DIFFICULT) course. The views and just spending 4 hours on the awesome grounds is worth the price of admission. The weather on the north shore can be a little dicey. I would wait until you get here and keep an eye on the weather. Pick a day with 30% or less chance of rain to really enjoy it. The north shore can be cloudy/rainy at times, but when the weather is nice its one of the most beautiful places on earth!

Wailua is a great value. A few holes on the ocean and all in all a great challenging muni.

Although its expensive the helicopter ride around the island is awesome. It was truly a life changing experience for me. Amazing.

What area of the island are you staying in? That will dictate alot of what you are doing.

Last but not least if you and your brother are are looking for a 3rd in your group and a lil local knowledge at the course let me know and I would love to join!

For cheaper tee times check out:
www.golfnow.com
www.ezlinks.com
[/quote]

Appreciate all the advice! My whole family is meeting up there, so we actually rented a house for the week. No laying at the pool for me! I just checked a map, and it looks like we are on the north side in Kilauea.

It would be great if you could join us for a round or two! As I mentioned, my whole family is meeting there. My Mom and Dad "golf," so they join us for a round, but I'm pretty sure they wouldn't want to play every time with us. If they're not playing, it would be great to have you join us. I'll shoot you a PM in a few days when we have a better idea of what our plans will be. We arrive on Sat 2/16 and leave on Sat night, 2/23.

[quote name='Chef Otto' timestamp='1360416784' post='6393497']
The Prince course is the best in my opinion and go to Princeville early and have breakfast out on the deck of the hotel.
[/quote]Yes! The pool area leading to the beach is breath taking, simply amazing views. The Prince is tough, moves in/out of the rainforest...BB

Irons: 19' Cobra CB's
Drivers: Titleist TS3 & Cobra F9
Fairway: Titleist 917F2
Hybrid: A-Grind
2 iron: Ping Rapture
Wedges: Ping Gorge 2.0 Stealth's
Putter: Evnroll 9.1
Balls: ProV1

I went to Kauai about 15 years ago intending to play Poipu Bay, Kauai Lagoons and the Prince. I played the Prince first (plus 2 additional times) and never made to the other two because the I liked the Prince so much.

One day playing the Prince we got to their signature par 3 (#7?) which is perched on a cliff above the ocean. We teed off, drove the carts to the green, and then it started raining a bit. By the time we putted out I was drenched, even my underwear was soaked. It had stopped raining before we got to the next tee, and three holes later all my clothes had dried out again. It's not so bad getting rained on when it's 83 degrees!

Callaway Mavrik 10.5* HZRDS 6.0 55g
Cobra BioCell 3w PXi S
Callaway Mavrik 20* Catalyst 65 5.5

Callaway Mavrik 5h 23* Catalyst 65 5.5
Titleist DCI 962 2-PW DG S300
Cleveland 588 54*, Callaway PM Grind 58*
Cameron Mil-Spec