First Round with upro mx+

I've used a Bushnell Neo+ for the last two years, and liked it's simplicity and ability to adjust course gps markers. I was going to buy a second Neo+, the first one was bought jointly between me and my buddy. I then noticed the cheap prices of the upro mx+ and decided to give it a try.

Today was one of the nicest days we have had all year, and the course was packed. We ended up teeing off around 1:45 and finished about 5:45.

GPS Acquisition:

It seemed to take a little longer than expected to get the initial GPS signal after turning it on at the first tee. But I always had full signal strength, and the yardages always updated immediately after turning the display on.

Battery Life:

I turned off the upro when we finished the last hole, and turned it on when I got home to check the battery status, it told me I had 46% battery. I have the setting for battery life set to "longer use" and the screen brightness at 49%. The temp was around 54f when we started and was 45f as the sun went down, cooler temperatures are harder on batteries. It seems like it might be pushing it to go for 2 rounds without charging. I do admit I probably messed around with settings, and flipping between modes more because it is new, and I am still learning to use it. I also had the Pro mode course loaded.

Accuracy/Use:

My buddy was carrying the Neo+, so we compared yardages quite a bit. They were always within 3 yards of each other, and we generally consider the Neo+ to be almost exactly right based on course markings and 2 years of playing the same course. There is two layup area's the I missed not being able to easily see the distance too, and actually just asked him for the distance from the Neo+. I read a lot of complaining about the screen going to sleep during use, I never had it turn off while I was still looking for yardages. I like the button to toggle the display on/off, and usually turned it on, got the yardage, and turned it back off manually. I toggled through the different modes, basically different representations of the course, from just font/center/back yardages, a computer drawn green with yardages superimposed, or the Pro mode aerial footage with yardages. I know the course very well, and mostly had it in pro mode, but just looked at the default yardages on the default screen. I noticed the first screen the came up was usually the green, and it's yardages, even off the tee on par 4 and 5's. Some longer holes would then change to a landing zone screen, showing distances to bunkers and dog legs.

Score keeping:

I was looking forward to using the score keeping features available. And it was very easy to add my buddy to the scorecard. Entering scores is also very easy, bottom right corner of the screen has a scoring icon, hit that and a simple screen with both players comes up. It defaults to par, and there is a + and - button to adjust scores from there. I also like to keep fairways, gir, putts, etc. For my detail stats it was easy, while in score card view select the bottom left icon and the details can be entered for the current hole. I could not figure out how to enter the same for my buddy, and am not sure I can. It would be nice, because we have a standing side game that involves fairways and gir.

After round syncing:

Plugged the upro into the Mac, logged in, and could analyze my round. Shows fairway %, gir %, putts per round and scoring average. You could also toggle gir% when hitting the fairway, and putts/green when on in regulation. I track all of this round for round anyways, but it will be interesting to see the averages over several rounds.

First Impressions:

So far I like it, but know there is still more to learn about using it. I hope that I will be able to play 2 rounds in the same day, or might have to look into getting the larger battery. I've played years with a guy that had various Garmin gps devices, and I've personally had the Neo+ for 2+ years. I think the upro holds it own, with only 1 round of use under my belt. I might miss the Neo+'s ability to setup specific gps points, and remapping greens that aren't accurate, but that is still to be determined.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cool review...! I was wondering how it would do in this release, as the past ones were plagued with issues, but the guys at Callaway assured me this model had all the bugs out of it. just the same...went with a Callaway Octane Rangefinder for now and am loving it...!! But the Upro could come in hand also.

Callaway Mavrik SZ 9.0 VA Composites Nemesys 65 04
Callaway Mavrik SZ 15 VA Composites Nemesys 75 04
Callaway Mavrik Pro Hybrid 18* Veylix Rome 888 S
Callaway 2019 Apex Pro DOT 4-PW Mits MMT 125 TX/ Vega Mizar Tour Oban CT 115 X
Odyssey WHP #3-Stability Tour, Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2.5, Toulon Long Island Garage-Stability Shaft
Callaway MD5 Jaws Tour Grey 50/54/58 and  Cobra Tour Versatile 50/54/58 Mitsubishi MMT 125TX Graphite
Lamkin Sonar Plus Wrap

WITB Link

I've had an MX since the first week they were released and I'm still very happy with it. Had it replaced once because I dinged up the charging plug - but they overnighted me a new one free of charge.

QI10 LS 10.5* - Ventus Blue 6x

Cally Rogue ST Max 3w - Ventus Blue 6s

TM Qi10 5W/ 7W - Ventus Blue 6s

Ping I230 5-6 /Blueprint S 7-8 /BP T 9-P
Vokey SM8 50*// TM Hi-Toe 54*/58*

Cody James custom // Left Dash

• 3 weeks later...

Was able to play a quick 9 after work for my second outing with the uPro MX+. Used the uPro to keep score, check yardages and measure a couple shot distances.

Battery life showed 80% when I got home to plug it into my computer. uPro was charged after my last round, Feb 17th, but has just been turned off since. So the 80% remaining charge included any battery loss from sitting for nearly a month.

I really know the course well, so just checked yardages a couple of times, the real test will be at the first of April when I take a golfing trip to Nashville and play 6 courses, 3 that I've never played and 3 I've only played a handful of times.

After connecting it to my computer I noticed that the round statistics won't use my 9 holes, it considers it an incomplete round. This may be the first negative thing I have found, I end up playing a lot of 9-hole rounds after work, and it appears that it will not show me any stats from these rounds.

The prices seem to be dropping and o e of the websites stated "as supplies last". Something new on the way or I'd Callaway getting out of the GPS business.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
Taylor Made M4 19* & 22* hybrids
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*
Odyssey Stroke Lab Big Seven Toe Up vs MEZZ1 vs Seemore
Precision Pro Nx7 Pro, Garmin S60 (watch)

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1

I just picked up a MX+ for $99 new and got my first round with it under my belt. Main reason I bought it is to use in tournaments since I can't use my iPhone (golfshot), Thought about getting a laser, but $99 was too good to pass up. It's certainly worth what I paid and functionality is very consistent with the OP's review. 2 things really stood out to me as "issues".

1) The unit and screen are small. I'm 6' 2" and have big fingers so it can be tough working with the touchscreen. I'm sure I'll get used to it, but it's more awkward than navigating the iPhone.
2) When you start a round, you can't select the tees you're playing. This is more an issue when previewing a course from home. It defaults to the tips.

I'm not sure what the going to sleep issue is? I've never had the screen turn off while looking at it, and I like the ability to hit the power button (top button on right side), and turn the screen on or off.

mul1gan - I haven't left my unit in the cold yet, but I did charge it and let it sit in the house for nearly a month between my first and second rounds. How much battery did you have left after the round?

Yeah I definitely would not leave it out in the cold overnight - anymore than I would leave a laptop or a cell phone. My battery is typically at 50% after 18 holes.

I agree I would like a bigger screen but I've gotten used to it. I tried the Skycaddies in the store but its too big, I like the pocketability of the small screen so I guess thats one of the trade offs.

QI10 LS 10.5* - Ventus Blue 6x

Cally Rogue ST Max 3w - Ventus Blue 6s

TM Qi10 5W/ 7W - Ventus Blue 6s

Ping I230 5-6 /Blueprint S 7-8 /BP T 9-P
Vokey SM8 50*// TM Hi-Toe 54*/58*

Cody James custom // Left Dash