2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Removing the black finish from a Cameron Select?

Can someone...anyone confirm that the black PVD finish on the new deep milled Cameron Selects can simply be bead blasted off? I have seen a couple pop up for sale saying that they've just bead blasted the black finish right off but it seems that there would be more to the process of removing a true PVD finish.

Thinking of picking up a NP 2 but I don't really want to have to send it into the Custom Shop and pay the full restoration price if you can simply bead blast the finish off.

Let's get a definitive answer from those who have had it done or tried it on your own with one of these putters!

Thanks,

- Josh

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was able to take the black finish off a Rife Aussie with Naval Jelly and a wire brush. Just takes a little time and effort. I would expect that Naval Jelly would take the finish off...

Put a glob on, rub it all over with the wire brush, let it sit for a few minutes and then gently start to scrub with the wire brush.

Have done it several times with Oil Can finish Vokeys and with the Rife...works like a charm. Doesn't take the paintfill off either.

[quote name='TNSooner' timestamp='1361714790' post='6491147']
I was able to take the black finish off a Rife Aussie with Naval Jelly and a wire brush. Just takes a little time and effort. I would expect that Naval Jelly would take the finish off...

Put a glob on, rub it all over with the wire brush, let it sit for a few minutes and then gently start to scrub with the wire brush.

Have done it several times with Oil Can finish Vokeys and with the Rife...works like a charm. Doesn't take the paintfill off either.
[/quote]

The Rife black finish was one of the worst finishes ever on a putter head. It would wear off immediately straight through to the bare metal after a couple rounds.

I'm asking specifically about the black Cameron Select finish, not Rife.

Naval jelly will not remove the black finish from the Cameron Selects.

[quote name='jtitleist12' timestamp='1361714296' post='6491117']
Can someone...anyone confirm that the black PVD finish on the new deep milled Cameron Selects can simply be bead blasted off? I have seen a couple pop up for sale saying that they've just bead blasted the black finish right off but it seems that there would be more to the process of removing a true PVD finish.

Thinking of picking up a NP 2 but I don't really want to have to send it into the Custom Shop and pay the full restoration price if you can simply bead blast the finish off.

Let's get a definitive answer from those who have had it done or tried it on your own with one of these putters!

Thanks,

- Josh
[/quote]Hey Josh -

I have one that that I dropped off at a local shop Friday afternoon. I had to tape off the cherry bombs so that the "chrome" rings wouldn't get dulled. When he first looked at it last week he said he wasn't sure the finish would come off with glass beads alone, and he may have to hit it with VERY light grit sand to remove the finish, and then go back over it with glass to give it the smooth satin look. When taping, I also decided to do the face because I didn't want him to damage the deep milling with a "double blasting". (Plus I thought it might look nice and be unique with the satin body, black face, black sight-line, and red/white/black paint-fill). If I end up not liking the black face I can always have him blast it off later, providing he assures me it won't hurt the milling marks.

Anyway, I should have it back by Tuesday at the latest, and will post pics in my thread [url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/776891-i-just-messed-up-my-brand-new-golo/"]http://www.golfwrx.c...and-new-golo/ [/url] . I won't have paint-fill done yet, but it will give you an idea of what the "DIY" satin finish looks like. Also, he said the cost would be around $25-$40, depending on if the finish comes off OK with just the glass, or if he has to blast twice.

I figure I can't go wrong. If all goes well, I get out of this for around $40 with 2 day turnaround. I have been quoted $117.00 plus the cost of me to ship there by another highly recommended site, and turn around time was 5-7 weeks. If it doesn't turn out like I expect, I can still send it there and save some $ by not having to have them remove the original finish and probably cut down turnaround time as well.

Check out the link Monday or Tuesday and I'll have the pics up.

Jay

WITB:
Mizuno GT/ST-180 Dr w/ EvenFlow White 6.0 75
Mizuno GT-180 3wd w/ Tensei CK White 75
TM UDI 1, 3 w/ KBS C-Taper Lite S
TM P770 4-PW w/ TT Tour Concept Satin
TM Milled Grind 52* LB and 58* SB
Odyssey O-Works 7S Tank

[quote name='evanleeball' timestamp='1361750205' post='6494705']
Sandblast takes it straight off
[/quote]What grit sand and what pressure , and what does the finish come out looking like? Does it damage the milling any? Any pictures? I had one guy try just the cavity under the sole plate with sand, and it came out horribly and removed most of the milling in the cavity. I don't know what grit/pressure he used, but it looked terrible - very uneven and dull colored, almost bronze colored. There was no way I was going to let him anywhere near the milled face after I saw the damage he did to the milling in the cavity!

WITB:
Odyssey O-Works 7S Tank

Yeah, I am specifically asking about bead blasting with glass beads, not sand. Sand will dull the metal and it will look nothing like the stock bead blasted Cameron putters from the factory.

"Halliedog", please keep me posted on your refinish and whether or not the glass beads work.

- Josh

Josh -

I got the call today @ 3:00 that it was done, but they closed @ 4:30 and there was no way I could get out of work at that time, so I'll be picking it up tomorrow and will have pics tomorrow evening. It was very noisy where I was when he called, so I didn't get into details, but will when I pick it up. We didn't even get into exact cost, but he did say I was pretty near my $50 limit I gave him, so he evidently did blast twice (or at least will tell me that).

He said something about not touching it with bare skin for 24 hrs. (That scares the poop out of me, but I won't be picking it up until after 24 hrs anyway). I am definitely asking about that, and will report back. I thought I heard him say something about a finish they sprayed on after blasting, but couldn't be sure. Maybe they did something like a "Misted Stainless" finish from BOS, I don't know and won't find out until I see it and talk to him. If they did spray anything I'll find out exactly what and pass it on.

I know exactly what you are talking about with the sand. I couldn't believe how bad my cavity under the sole plate looked once the dude hit it with sand. It was almost like a light brown, even after I cleaned it up. He thought he did a great job by removing the finish, but I was like, "Thanks, But No Thanks".

I'll post back tomorrow with pics, and if something comes up where I can't get pics taken I'll at least post on how it looks.

Jay

WITB:
Odyssey O-Works 7S Tank