2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Question about "Your Golf Swing is a Throwing Motion"

I've been watching some videos online and on IG. I watch a lot of videos from Mike Adams, great content and explanations. 

Mike Adams talks about the golf swing being a "throwing motion". Typically, when I think of throwing motions I think about there's a limit to it. As it, a pitcher doesn't practice throwing a 1,000 fastballs a day. I know recently I read that NFL place kickers can/only do ~6 full out kicks a day. I understand that golf uses different parts of the body, and pitching/kicking is more stress on one/a couple parts of the body. Question is, if golf is a "throwing motion" should there be a specific "swing count"? Just wondering, because more the idea is go hit ~500 balls a day to practice for the pros. Would it be the same thing as say NFL quarterbacks aren't really on a throw count?

You don't go balls out for every swing.  TheStack and other speed protocols only have you do like 30ish max effort swings per workout, and that's only a few times a week.  Much different than your stock shot with a 5 wood, which probably has the same intensity as outfielders playing catch.  Those players won't be on a pitch count as far as I'm aware.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

It usually goes like this: "Getting good reps on the swing changes today. it's just 9 o'clock to 3 o'clock. Pure 100 yd 8 irons. We're just playing toss." And about 5 minutes in it's "That wedge was so pure! ... let's see if I can hit this driver over the back net."

And finally "I need some ice"

To answer your question: for sure there is a swing count. Hit 50% effort wedges all day you'll be fine. Hit 100% effort drivers you'll eventually hurt yourself. If you're working on mechanics, as you fatigue you'll revert to old habits, and/or stress *all* the joints. You wear out your hip, back, shoulders elbows, anything...

Edited by KD1
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, ALIF said:

I throw a ball left-handed, but I play golf right handed. Golf is definitely not a throwing motion for me. It’s more like a backhand tennis shot.

I’m the same, but I still use the idea to explain how to correctly pressure the ground because everyone knows how to throw a ball. We never think of throwing as anything other than a fluid single motion. 

This is why the club throwing drill is so effective. 

• Like 1

Pitchers and quarterbacks throw quite a bit in practice, just as many golfers make quite a few swings. Of course, it's not hundreds of fast balls and long bombs, and if you watch high-level golfers practice, you won't see them taking more than a handful of 100% full swings, either.

5 hours ago, TheDeanAbides said:

everyone knows how to throw a ball. We never think of throwing as anything other than a fluid single motion. 

In my years I've seen probably as many people who don't know how to throw as I've seen people who can't swing a club well. In fact, I'm certain that most people I know do not have anything close to a fluid single throwing motion. They throw a ball about as well as a bogey golfer swings a club.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Really the closest thing you can say that relates golf swing to throwing is that they are both unnatural motions.

Also, when you're really on with your throwing or golf, all you have to do is see your target and execute, no thoughts needed. When you're off, it gets ugly and you gotta think your way through it.

• Like 2

SIM 2 Max 9.0 turned 7.0
TM Sim2 Titaniu, 13.5
TM RBZ 19* hybrid

TM RBZ 22* hybrid
Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-PW
Vokey SM7 48* F Grind
Vokey SM7 54* F Grind
Vokey SM7 58* M Grind

27 minutes ago, johnrobison said:

Pitchers and quarterbacks throw quite a bit in practice, just as many golfers make quite a few swings. Of course, it's not hundreds of fast balls and long bombs, and if you watch high-level golfers practice, you won't see them taking more than a handful of 100% full swings, either.

In my years I've seen probably as many people who don't know how to throw as I've seen people who can't swing a club well. In fact, I'm certain that most people I know do not have anything close to a fluid single throwing motion. They throw a ball about as well as a bogey golfer swings a club.

That’s a fair point. I was really thinking about relatively athletically minded people, but you’re correct - I know plenty of folks who throw like a child. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, SNIPERBBB said:

Really the closest thing you can say that relates golf swing to throwing is that they are both unnatural motions.

Also, when you're really on with your throwing or golf, all you have to do is see your target and execute, no thoughts needed. When you're off, it gets ugly and you gotta think your way through it.

It's been argued throwing is very much part of our evolution.

When my throwing aim is off I might adjust my aim but I'm not thinking through my mechanics.

Edited by KD1
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, KD1 said:

It's been argued throwing is very much part of our evolution.

When my throwing aim is off I might adjust my aim but I'm not thinking through my mechanics.

So rotator cuff injuries are non-existent today?

There's a reason softball pitchers can throw 20 inning games without risk of arm injury and  baseball pitchers are lucky to get to inning 4

• Like 1

SIM 2 Max 9.0 turned 7.0
TM Sim2 Titaniu, 13.5
TM RBZ 19* hybrid

TM RBZ 22* hybrid
Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-PW
Vokey SM7 48* F Grind
Vokey SM7 54* F Grind
Vokey SM7 58* M Grind

6 minutes ago, SNIPERBBB said:

So rotator cuff injuries are non-existent today?

??? strawman. You can choke on your dinner, does that mean chewing isn't natural?

Anyway, I think we're getting beside the point. OP just wants to know if there's a max swing count like pitchers have pitch counts.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, ALIF said:

I throw a ball left-handed, but I play golf right handed. Golf is definitely not a throwing motion for me. It’s more like a backhand tennis shot.

Same boat, but I'll say it is like a throwing motion, but you and I are using the wrong hand.  Learning how to throw righty like a submarine pitcher has been 'fun'. 

In that paradigm, a lot of Mike Adams's, Pete Cowan's, and Monte's advice and instruction makes sense.  Throwing downhill, keeping the shoulders closed as long as possible, keeping mass behind the ball while getting weight onto the lead foot ASAP, etc...

You're right about the backhand tennis shot feel too, with the left hand turning over through the release and followthrough.

Edited by Jayjay_theweim_guy
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, KD1 said:

??? strawman. You can choke on your dinner, does that mean chewing isn't natural?

Anyway, I think we're getting beside the point. OP just wants to know if there's a max swing count like pitchers have pitch counts.

Choking isnt a repetitive motion injury. Anyone that's played baseball till they graduated  HS has arm issues, and thats not even talking about pitchers.  Maybe not if you are a lifelong F3. 

As to the OP...if you have a back and knee friendly swing and not hitting off mats or hardpan all day  there isn't a swing count. Ask VJ

Edited by SNIPERBBB
  • Like 1

SIM 2 Max 9.0 turned 7.0
TM Sim2 Titaniu, 13.5
TM RBZ 19* hybrid

TM RBZ 22* hybrid
Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-PW
Vokey SM7 48* F Grind
Vokey SM7 54* F Grind
Vokey SM7 58* M Grind

12 hours ago, ALIF said:

I'm very left handed, throw, write, shoot a basketball, almost everything left handed.   But I golf right handed, hit a baseball right handed.  When I was a kid I could hit a baseball left or right, maybe made more contact batting lefty, but clearly had more power right, coaches wouldn't let me bat lefty.....

I could also hit a golf ball right handed much better, and I could hit it one handed pretty well standing as a righty with either hand.   I used to think of a golf swing as a backhaned left hand tennis shot, but I have come to realize it is just as much a right handed stone skipping toss. 

SKIP THE STONE, MAROOCH!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

WITB
Ping G430 Max 10K Tour 2.0 Chrome S 65

TaylorMade Qi10 Tour 3 and 5 wood, Tensei AV Blue limited  75

Matlby TS3 4-5, Matlby TS4 6-GW, Recoil Dart V 105 F4

RTX Zipcore  Tour Rack 54, 60

Spider Tour S CB 38 inches

Srixon-Z Star XV

20 hours ago, Ironman_32 said:

I've been watching some videos online and on IG. I watch a lot of videos from Mike Adams, great content and explanations. 

Mike Adams talks about the golf swing being a "throwing motion". Typically, when I think of throwing motions I think about there's a limit to it. As it, a pitcher doesn't practice throwing a 1,000 fastballs a day. I know recently I read that NFL place kickers can/only do ~6 full out kicks a day. I understand that golf uses different parts of the body, and pitching/kicking is more stress on one/a couple parts of the body. Question is, if golf is a "throwing motion" should there be a specific "swing count"? Just wondering, because more the idea is go hit ~500 balls a day to practice for the pros. Would it be the same thing as say NFL quarterbacks aren't really on a throw count?

Get a club and throw it to a target. Your body will automatically calculate the direction, height and speed that you threw the club without you even realising that you had to think about it. The part that you would let the club go out of your hands is the release and you speed up a bit just before releasing the club. Have a waggle and think about where you would actually throw the club and put the ball there.

I ask myself two questions over the ball.....

1. What shot/club can I fully commit to and accept any outcome?

2. Where do I need to throw this club to spin the ball to the target?

Question 1 deals with any doubt as I've already made peace with any outcome. If you can't shake doubt then that's you being honest to say you know this shot is out of your skill set.

Question 2 forces me to focus on the target and the ball spin. If I can't get good visualisation I start by imagining how I would hit a football freekick to the target which gets my body feels working easier then I work that into golf shot feels. It's amazing how you can control shot shapes when you just let common sense do the calculations like football free kicks.

• Like 2

I'm not here to argue, but I can't see this throwing motion.  Just my own thoughts and opinion. 

A baseball is in your hand.  You're not hitting anything. Go ahead and throw it all day long. The golf ball is being hit with a long stick 36 to 45 inches away from you.  The head of the club is small, the ball is small.  The motion has to be different. There are a few similarities, but just as many differences.  To say it's the same as throwing a ball is extremely generalizing.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
On 5/1/2024 at 9:41 PM, ALIF said:

Love this. Do you think of it as a one handed, backhand tennis shot or two hands? This works for pitching too. 

It's a good way to use the ground without thinking about it. 

Edited by Tanner25

9 minutes ago, Tanner25 said:

Love this. Do you think of it as a one handed, backhand tennis shot or two hands? This works for pitching too. 

It's a good way to use the ground without thinking about it. 

I think about it more like a two-handed, backhand tennis shot. 

• Like 1

$$$$

On 5/2/2024 at 3:51 PM, 596 said:

I'm not here to argue, but I can't see this throwing motion.  Just my own thoughts and opinion. 

A baseball is in your hand.  You're not hitting anything. Go ahead and throw it all day long. The golf ball is being hit with a long stick 36 to 45 inches away from you.  The head of the club is small, the ball is small.  The motion has to be different. There are a few similarities, but just as many differences.  To say it's the same as throwing a ball is extremely generalizing.

Yea it's def not the same as throwing a ball one handed for me. It's throwing the club with two hands and knowing where the ball needs to be but like everything else you just need to experiment and practice to see what suits your body.

The swing happens in about 1-2 seconds so in the end it all boils down to feels and having the confidence to swing through and not hesitate on the downswing with doubts and fears of miss hits. 🙌

On 5/2/2024 at 10:49 PM, Chunkitgood said:

Of course a golf swing is not a throwing motion.

Depends what part you are focusing on. The body twist to release the torque is like you looking at someone side on and punching them with a body shot.

The throwing the club is more about feeling the centrifugal force, seeing the club path in your minds eye and feeling the release.

There are a lot of feels in golf. I think it's worth a try to find one that works for you. Helps tame golf a bit in your mind and empty out the technical bowl.

For me, setting up to throw the club is easier than trying to remember a checklist of things that I do when naturally throwing the club anyway. 👌😎

I was never a real "The Golfing Machine" guy, although I have the book. But that perspective on the golf swing would say that being a 'hitter' (as described in the book) would (in my mind) be an underhanded throwing motion. A 'swinger' is a different motion. Either type of motion can generate a decent golf swing. 

But I was never a real follower of this 'religion'. 

dave

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

The way Mike Adams and his instructors teach it is that the biomechanics of the trailing arm is like a throw, not that you are actually throwing. It will feel a bit different depending on whether you are an on-top, side, or under golfer. As an on top golfer (me), the right arm moves like throwing a rock or ball just in front of you in line with your lead foot (your release point). The way the elbow and wrist moves in that action is very similar to how they move in the swing. Rear elbow going back and higher (flying elbow), and the wrist releasing as you would imagine. I've also heard it described as akin to throwing a discus into the ground (where the palm faces down as you throw). Though I think the first description is more accurate.

Side golfers are more side throws where the elbow is along the side of the body (like skipping rocks) and releases the "ball" a few feet down the line, while under golfers, where the rear elbow will go towards the front of the body, can feel more like palm-up, rear handed frisbee throws.

The swing you have, and thus what matchups you have with it, are all determined by measurements during your first lessons. I can tell you it's a very natural feeling swing method.

Keep in mind, there are many methods where the focus of the swing is on leading and releasing with the lead arm, Adam's/Rowles method has you focusing on the rear or trailing arm. As in (most cases) your dominant hand controls almost everything. The lead guides the path, but the rear controls the face, and release, thus the throwing analogies.

Edited by sshadow2
  • Like 2

Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke 9* Project X Denali Black 60
Titleist TSi2 18* 5W Accra FX 3.0 200F M4

Titleist TSi2 21* 7W Accra FX 3.0 200F M4
Titleist TSi2 26* 6H Project X Hzrdus Smoke Black RDX 80

Titleist TSi2 29* 7H Project X Hzrdus Smoke Black RDX 80

PING i210 7-UW PING zz-65

PING s159 S 54* PING zz-115

PING s159 E 58* PING zz-115
L.A.B. Golf DF3

On 5/1/2024 at 10:53 AM, Ironman_32 said:

I believe the point Adams was trying to make has nothing to do with reality.  And I disagree with place kickers only kicking 6 full kicks in practice.  I played eight years of football. 

The golf swing is, to an artificial degree, similar to throwing because we use arms and legs and done right, the ball goes where it's intended. 

When I have a wedge in my hand, I use a reverse overlap grip which essentially, has my right hand dominate, so when executed, I am underhandedly using a throwing motion.  When I was learning golf, there were days when I hit 500 balls a day, but most weeks 1100-1400 per five days, plus hundreds of wedge shots.

• Like 1
  • TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo Red 59S
  • TSR2 15° GD Tour AD-VF 74S
  • 718 T-MB 17 2i° Tensei AV White Am2 90S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW MMT 105S Wedge 113
  • SM10 F52/12, T58/4, DG200 127S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x or AVX

Posted (edited)

Been through this rabbit hole inthe past

the throwing concept did help me become a better golfer

Whenever I get stuck  I think of throwing a bag of potatoes with both arms  

If feels like fade is more of a " throwing " motion and the draw is more like a slinglike "swinging" motion

We all cant  have perfect swing motion that produce a high  draw  like Rory or Grant Horvat

Some of us "throwing" is easier

Edited by Haroputt