2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Courses on Hilton Head

HackerD

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im headed down there on Sunday for the week. I plan on playing Harbour Town, I heard its pricey but a must play.

Im a single, hit me up if you someone to join up with you.

AI Smoke TD xCaliber
AI Smoke 3w Ventus Red
AI Smoke 5w Ventus Red

Stealth 2 (3 & 4)Hybrid Ventus Red TR 

i530 6-U Dynamic Gold Mid

MG4 54/58 DG

Odyssey AI-One Jailbird Mini

Callaway Chrome Tour

Harbor Town is fab....may be cheaper late afternoon...don't be afraid to ask for a deal! May River but I think you have to stay there to play...pick up one of the golf books they print and look for deals. I think Hampton Hall allows outside play, heard it was worth the drive to Bluffton area. Have fun...both of you!

"We have learned that we must
live as men, not as ostriches, nor
as dogs in the manger." FDR

[quote name='HackerD ' timestamp='1364039804' post='6670393']
Heading to Hilton Head this week. Any updates on courses / course conditions?
We typically play[list]
[*]Sea Pines (Ocean, Harbourtown),
[*]Palmetto Dunes (RTJ, Hills),
[*]Oyster Reef.
[/list]
[/quote]

I was down there about two weeks ago and the courses are in pretty nice shape. RTJ and HT were quite good. I imagine HT will be in GREAT shape as the pros are down in two weeks. We also played Old South and it was in good shape. The greens were rolling pretty quick. I will also be down next week. Current plan is to play RTJ, CC of HH and maybe Oldfield. We almost played Heron Pointe but switched it out at the last minute for HT.

I really hope the weather turns a little warmer. We still have snow up here in Michigan! Arrrgggh

[quote name='moonshine' timestamp='1364040765' post='6670439']
Harbor Town is fab....may be cheaper late afternoon...don't be afraid to ask for a deal! May River but I think you have to stay there to play...pick up one of the golf books they print and look for deals. I think Hampton Hall allows outside play, heard it was worth the drive to Bluffton area. Have fun...both of you!
[/quote]

Some guys really like Hampton Hall but I just don't get it. It's OK but kind of beige. I prefer Oldfield and they allow some outside play. It's not far from there. If you can, get out on Berkeley Hall. Played that a couple of weeks ago and loved it!!! The weather was awful (35mph winds) but the course was really nice and the greens were lightning fast. off Island, we really like Hilton Head National and Old South.

Anybody play the Palmetto HALL courses recently? I know they have a newer mgmt company and the last time we played there (2 years ago), conditions and service were awful. To bad because the courses are really nice. If they have addressed the conditioning problem, I would highly recommend them.

I would love to hear a report on your stay...

Heading down on April 3rd to Palmetto Dunes to play the three courses there.

Also getting on the Nicklaus course at Colleton River by way of a reciprocal.

We too in Ontario just had another blast of snow that is really taking its time to melt. Course openings still a few weeks away unless there is a significant warm-up...

We've actually had a more normal winter here for the first time in a few years...

As it is my first time at HHI any restaurant/bar suggestions also most welcome!

The three at PD are all nice. Word of warning. Fazio doesn't have a range so if you like to warm up, head over to Jones (matts-arrggh) or Hills (grass) to hit some balls. In order, I like Jones, Hills (the back nine is really cool although #12 leaves me tied up in knots) and then Fazio. Only reason I don't like Fazio as much as there are a couple of holes that feel like carbon copies of others on the course. You may not notice it the first time.

Congrats on Colleton River. Never played there but have heard wonderful things. Let me know how it goes.

Dining depends on what you are looking for. For fine dining we really like Old Fort Pub in HH Plantation. Nice views and the food is really good. Redfish is also nice. Nice wine list. For BBQ, Smokehouse. For beer and burgers, Wild Wing Cafe and Jump and Phils (best fries on the island per the wife and kids). Mexican - Aunt Chiladas or outdoors at San Miguels in Shelter Cove. Also really like Black Marlin in Palmetto Bay Marina. Old Oyster Factory is a tourist trap BUT the food is always good and the views are even better.

There are a LOT of places to eat and not many bad choices.

Just got back and played Palmetto Hall (Hills) on Thursday. It was cold and the wind was blowing but it was in nice shape. Also played Shipyard (good) and Port Royal Robbers Run (not so good). Harbour Town was great and if you play there ask for Neil as your forecaddy, the guy is great.

It appears that all of the courses will be in transition the next couple weeks as the over seeded rye dies off and the bermuda begins to come in.

Titleist TSR2 10* Hzrdus Red
Titleist TS2 15* Tensei AV Blue 
Titleist TS2 18* Tensei AV Blue
Titleist Hybrid (816) 23* Basarra HL 
Titleist AP1 718 5-GW 48Tensei Red
Vokey 52.08, 56.10 SM9
Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 35”
Tiltleist 14 Hybrid
Titleist Pro V1

Did they actually have sand in the traps at PH? Last time I was there the bunkers were a disaster. Port Royal would make a spectacular dog park. Golf course...not so much. They actually just gave up on the Planters course and sold the property to the city to turn into a park. The city will continue to run it as a golf course for two years and then all bets are off.

Might have to switch things up and add PD to the playlist. Thanks for the update.

If you go off the island eagle pointe is nice and my other favorite is cc of hh. Shipyard is nice (used to be my home course) but has kind of tailed off the past few years. If you play there, play brigantine and clipper.

A great places to eat is called Hugo's. great prime rib and lobster. The guy who owns it used to own a place called Fitzgeralds before they demolished it. Always a must stop when I go down there.

[quote name='HackerDave' timestamp='1364046048' post='6670805']
The three at PD are all nice. Word of warning. Fazio doesn't have a range so if you like to warm up, head over to Jones (matts-arrggh) or Hills (grass) to hit some balls. In order, I like Jones, Hills (the back nine is really cool although #12 leaves me tied up in knots) and then Fazio. Only reason I don't like Fazio as much as there are a couple of holes that feel like carbon copies of others on the course. You may not notice it the first time.

Congrats on Colleton River. Never played there but have heard wonderful things. Let me know how it goes.

Dining depends on what you are looking for. For fine dining we really like Old Fort Pub in HH Plantation. Nice views and the food is really good. Redfish is also nice. Nice wine list. For BBQ, Smokehouse. For beer and burgers, Wild Wing Cafe and Jump and Phils (best fries on the island per the wife and kids). Mexican - Aunt Chiladas or outdoors at San Miguels in Shelter Cove. Also really like Black Marlin in Palmetto Bay Marina. Old Oyster Factory is a tourist trap BUT the food is always good and the views are even better.

There are a LOT of places to eat and not many bad choices.
[/quote]

Hello again Dave, thanks for the helpful information. Will definitely let you know about Colleton. Hope things warm up down there!

• 2 weeks later...

Played both Harbourtown and Berkeley Hall North. Harbourtown was in pristine condition as they were getting ready for the Heritage Classic in a couple weeks. Berkeley Hall was sublime. Since it's private I asked my local pro to try to get me on and turns out they accept one group per day upon request from a PGA pro. Amazing sculpted bunkers with perfect sand, fast undulating greens.

Callaway Rogue 10.5°
Ping G410 2, 3 Hybrid
Ping G410 3, 4 Crossover 
Ping G410 5-UW
Vokey spin milled 54/14
SC Studio Select Newport 2

[quote name='HackerDave' timestamp='1364043899' post='6670603']
[/quote]

Some guys really like Hampton Hall but I just don't get it. It's OK but kind of beige. I prefer Oldfield and they allow some outside play. It's not far from there. If you can, get out on Berkeley Hall. Played that a couple of weeks ago and loved it!!! The weather was awful (35mph winds) but the course was really nice and the greens were lightning fast. off Island, we really like Hilton Head National and Old South.

You must have played the North course!

Anybody play the Palmetto HALL courses recently? I know they have a newer mgmt company and the last time we played there (2 years ago), conditions and service were awful. To bad because the courses are really nice. If they have addressed the conditioning problem, I would highly recommend them.
[/quote][quote name='HackerDave' timestamp='1364043899' post='6670603']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Played Harbour Town yesterday. This is a must play. I mean must. Conditions are 9.7/10 of course with the tour coming in a couple weeks. Greens are perfect. I am a long ball loose off the tee 10 and I had to hit irons off most tees due to the tight fairways but I had a great day , shot 85 but I had a 78 in sight after 12 holes. Then I got aggressive instead if waiting my turn. Bad choice out there.

Anybody going there don't miss your chance to play this. Also for what it's worth I thought heron point to be very average at best. If I go back I would play 2 rounds at HT if staying at the resort.

Below was one of the members hanging out near the first tee!!!
After I took this picture he proceeded to walk down the first fairway about 200 yards then it got dark and I lost sight of him.

Not sure why its upside Down

For a full day trip, you can check and see if Melrose and/or Bloody Point on Daufuskie Island are open for play. Bloody Point was closed for a few years, but my understanding is that is now open, or soon to be. It's a fun track - very Caribbean like: no cart paths, very natural landscaping. Melrose is a FANTASTIC track (Nicklaus) but has fallen on hard times with things like cart availability and conditioning an issue, but as a track it is second only to HarbourTown in my mind as far as best courses in the area. The trip to either or both of these is a 45 minute ferry ride each way, so it is definitely a full day experience - may be possible and worth considering to play both courses on the same day.

It's also possible to play Haig Point on Daufuskie, but I do not recommend it. We played there a couple of months ago for the first, and I hope last, time. In my opinion, that track is way overrated and conditions were so-so at best. Unfortunate, because the boat ride there is only 15 minutes compared to the 45 minutes for Bloody Point & Melrose.

TM Sim Max 10.5 Ventus Red Senior
TM Sim Max 3 Ventus Red Senior 
Cobra F9 17* Rescue Atmos Regular
TM Sim Max 19*, 25*, 28* Rescue Ventus Blue Senior 
Cobra F9 7-SW Atmos Regular
Vokey SM6 62* T Kuro Kage stiff
TM Spider Tour Day
OUUL stand bag
Titleist Velocity or Callaway Softfeel

[quote name='Bowhunter82' timestamp='1365045324' post='6757113']
Played Harbour Town yesterday. This is a must play. I mean must. Conditions are 9.7/10 of course with the tour coming in a couple weeks. Greens are perfect. I am a long ball loose off the tee 10 and I had to hit irons off most tees due to the tight fairways but I had a great day , shot 85 but I had a 78 in sight after 12 holes. Then I got aggressive instead if waiting my turn. Bad choice out there.

Anybody going there don't miss your chance to play this. Also for what it's worth I thought heron point to be very average at best. If I go back I would play 2 rounds at HT if staying at the resort.

Below was one of the members hanging out near the first tee!!!
After I took this picture he proceeded to walk down the first fairway about 200 yards then it got dark and I lost sight of him.

Not sure why its upside Down
[/quote]

Not sure if they are territorial but I saw him or his twin in the pond next to the 1st tee 2 weeks ago when we were teeing off. I can relate on the round. I was 5 over through 12 then shot 84. The last 4 holes are a b..ch but it was the triple on 13 that crushed me because I parred 14.

Titleist TSR2 10* Hzrdus Red
Titleist TS2 15* Tensei AV Blue 
Titleist TS2 18* Tensei AV Blue
Titleist Hybrid (816) 23* Basarra HL 
Titleist AP1 718 5-GW 48Tensei Red
Vokey 52.08, 56.10 SM9
Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 35”
Tiltleist 14 Hybrid
Titleist Pro V1

Just got back from Hilton Head, played as follows:

Oyster Reef - Probably an 8.5/10. It was in the high 40s and raining so not a great day but the greens were immaculate, I mean perfect, and everything else was in great shape. The course drains really well too. It had rained the whole day before and was drizzling during the first 9 with a full blown rainstorm at the turn and there was minimal standing water anywhere other than two tee boxes and a few puddles in fairways. Didn't spend much time in the practice area because it was crappy out but it was small, but in great shape.

Palmetto Hall - Arthur Hills - 7.5/10. Not in as great shape as Oyster Reef but still pretty nice. The greens were ok, not great, but by no means bad. Greener than Oyster Reef so the rough was a little thicker and from what I understand the course has been in transition for a while. Still an enjoyable experience. Practice area was very nice.

Hilton Head National - 9/10. Course was pretty much immaculate, staff was awesome. It's still early so the rough wasn't much grown in but the greens and bunkers were fantastic. My favorite course of the trip by far. Practice area was perfect as well and free range balls were nice. Everywhere else charged for them.

Islands West - 4/10. Bad fairways, worse greens, and junk pace of play. Saw a couple nice sized gators out there but that was one of the few memorable things. Greens were dried out and patchy, fairways were marginal at best, sand was optional in bunkers. Practice area was awful, more fertilizer than grass on the practice green and no grass to speak of on the range. For $35 with a cart with GPS at the last minute I can't really complain though. The course seems like it was probably pretty nice a decade ago.

I think when I go back there I'll probably want to do it a month later when everything is green and grown in. For my first time in Hilton Head it was a great experience.

Cobra King F6+, Matrix Black Tie 65M4
Callaway X Utility Prototype 21*, Project X PXI 6.0
Adams XTD 3-PW, KBS C Taper 90
Scratch 8620 D/S 50*, 56*, 60*, TrueTemper Dynamic Gold S300
Bettinardi SS15
Srixon Q Star Tour

[quote name='HackerDave' timestamp='1365594999' post='6799229']
The locals call it Island Worst. ;-) Next time I would also recommend Old South. Sad to hear that the Palmetto Hall courses were in poor condition. That used to be one of our favorite courses but when they switched management companies conditions went down pretty fast. The Cupp course is a strong test.
[/quote]

Back from HHI (Palmetto Dunes + Colleton River). For members of private courses, Colleton River - Nicklaus course is available for limited reciprocal play. Highly recommend it, best greens I've ever putted on (perfect speed 12.5 stimp). Course and surroundings immaculate. We were very well taken care of by the staff and members. Our original tee-time was rained out and we were rescheduled to a Saturday round. Also enjoyed our golf on the three PD courses. We will be returning to the HHI/Savannah area for sure for a future vacation.

Happy you had a good time. The weather was hit and miss during our trip as well. I will look into Colleton. When I spoke to them, the cost was pretty steep ($225) for what would have been our first round of the year. I'd love to set something up for when we get back down there in June. I've only heard good things about both the Dye and Nicklaus courses.

We have really enjoyed both Berkeley Hall and Belfair. The greens on BH North were spectacular. VERY fast and undulating. A course you really need to play a few times to get the hang of it.

• 2 months later...

Going to be on the island next week, staying at Palmetto Dunes Resort and playing Fazio Monday early. Based on pro shop feedback they punched over a month ago so it's in the best shape of the 3 courses, any one confirm this? Also, working on a tee time through my club at Colleton River Dye, Nicklaus is closed for work. Any feedback on the condition at this club? Thanks boys, I could be forced to play a 3rd round next week if a WRX'er is scheduled to be there...BB

Irons: 19' Cobra CB's
Drivers: Titleist TS3 & Cobra F9
Fairway: Titleist 917F2
Hybrid: A-Grind
2 iron: Ping Rapture
Wedges: Ping Gorge 2.0 Stealth's
Putter: Evnroll 9.1
Balls: ProV1

[quote name='Bubba73' timestamp='1364925964' post='6745295']
Long Cove beats them all. If you can get on.
[/quote]

Yep. Had the opportunity to play with a member there and it was the best course down there by far. Very tough to get on but there are some fabulous holes on that course. Outside of that I recommend taking the ferry, yes a ferry over water, to play at Daufuskie island. Harbourtown is a must if you haven't done it. Shipyard is great for some good golf holes. I did like the Arthur Hills courses down there with all the undulating lies. In the middle of the fairway with a sidehill/uphill lie. Awesome. Can't beat Hilton Head golf.

[quote name='pingpring' timestamp='1371191708' post='7238134']
[quote name='Bubba73' timestamp='1364925964' post='6745295']
Long Cove beats them all. If you can get on.
[/quote]

Yep. Had the opportunity to play with a member there and it was the best course down there by far. Very tough to get on but there are some fabulous holes on that course. Outside of that I recommend taking the ferry, yes a ferry over water, to play at Daufuskie island. Harbourtown is a must if you haven't done it. Shipyard is great for some good golf holes. I did like the Arthur Hills courses down there with all the undulating lies. In the middle of the fairway with a sidehill/uphill lie. Awesome. Can't beat Hilton Head golf.
[/quote]

Agree. Long Cove is special, really special.

FYI, played PD Fazio today and it's in nice shape, best of the 3 right now I hear. Tomorrow Colleton River Pete Dye, excited about that round...BB

Well I do not usually do this but I gotta give Colleton River a BIG thumbs down, I show up today everything is cool. I'm playing as a single with open track ahead which is the reason I'm there. Couple of Pro's behind and we move nicely on the front. Hit the 7th hole and I notice a 2some in front of me, I know they aren't on the sheet but ok whatever I get it. So I give this group a few minutes on the turn to keep things smooth. Walk out to go to the back nine and another 2some tees off on 10. I drive back and the shop says sorry we will mention something to them, ok so things are getting pretty cramped but whatever. So I play 2 more holes and there's another 4some! Head back and leave, poor form for $241.00 beans...nice course (not great) but the members are rude so BigBen gives Colleton River a SHANK...BB