2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

G25 Iron Review (Low Handicapper)

Instant Offense

I'm surprised at the magnitude of interest this topic generated...this topic is a G25 salesperson's dream..."[i]low handicapper finds the holy grail" of clubs"[/i]. Ping G25 sales reps probably account for 2/3rds of the responses...LOL. Really...[i]all of a sudden [/i]G25's are the ticket to getting a tour card?

If you want to double as a[i] groundskeeper, [/i]appearing as though you're contributing to keeping the irrigation system in top condition by carrying what appears to be a bag of "[i]sprinkler trencher tools", [/i]who am I to judge?

I should start a [i]test topic [/i]that states "[i]12 handicapper switches to1988 Apex blades from G25's....cuts 10 strokes off to become a 2 hcp[/i]", and add-in "[i]I'm striving to become an assistant professional at a country club[/i]" to lend some credibility to the topic.

None

[quote name='Donno' timestamp='1391735701' post='8612805']
I'm surprised at the magnitude of interest this topic generated...this topic is a G25 salesperson's dream..."[i]low handicapper finds the holy grail" of clubs"[/i]. Ping G25 sales reps probably account for 2/3rds of the responses...LOL. Really...[i]all of a sudden [/i]G25's are the ticket to getting a tour card?

If you want to double as a[i] groundskeeper, [/i]appearing as though you're contributing to keeping the irrigation system in top condition by carrying what appears to be a bag of "[i]sprinkler trencher tools", [/i]who am I to judge?

I should start a [i]test topic [/i]that states "[i]12 handicapper switches to1988 Apex blades from G25's....cuts 10 strokes off to become a 2 hcp[/i]", and add-in "[i]I'm striving to become an assistant professional at a country club[/i]" to lend some credibility to the topic.
[/quote]

My good man do you possibly suffer from a duel personality disorder. Post #1121 you were on here talking about how good these irons are and asked about which shaft. Was that you or your evil twin. Now you are slamming this whole post, saying it trolled by a punch of Ping reps. We all could be just lieing about liking these "sprinkler trencher tools". Speaking of tools I guess you are too highbrow to golf with cast clubs

Speaking of lending some credibility to a topic you would be a prime example of why someone should stay on their meds.

Ping Rapture V2
Ping G15, four wood
Callaway X hot pro 20* hybrid
Ping G25 - 4 to PW
Callaway X tour 50*' 54* & 58*
Scotty newport

[quote name='Gbyeball' timestamp='1391737022' post='8612959']

[/quote]

My good man do you possibly suffer from a duel personality disorder. Post #1121 you were on here talking about how good these irons are and asked about which shaft. Was that you or your evil twin. Now you are slamming this whole post, saying it trolled by a punch of Ping reps. We all could be just lieing about liking these "sprinkler trencher tools". Speaking of tools I guess you are too highbrow to golf with cast clubs

Speaking of lending some credibility to a topic you would be a prime example of why someone should stay on their meds.
[/quote]

I clicked "like" on your post because it is quite well written and funny. My point is G25's (prior post) are good clubs, but so are many others...I just suddenly grew apathetic to seeing everyone fawning over some 3.5-4.5 capper post that the G25's are the end all in clubs. I'm not on meds, unless you count Napa Chardonnay! BTW, they really do look like trenching tools, but in a nice way.

None

[quote name='Gbyeball' timestamp='1391737022' post='8612959']

[/quote]

[/quote]

BTW, you're pretty good at keeping track of posts! I can't find my own half the time!

None

Donno

Well played and classy response. I actually am sensitive to the fact this G25 thread appears as one big love in. A few have asked if G25 are better than xyz and I always answer they were better for me but not for everyone.

No iron will magically drop 8 strokes off of someones hcp. It is all about finding what works best for you. Good luck with your search

Ping Rapture V2
Ping G15, four wood
Ping G25 - 4 to PW
Scotty newport

[quote name='Gbyeball' timestamp='1391739795' post='8613351']
Donno

Well played and classy response. I actually am sensitive to the fact this G25 thread appears as one big love in. A few have asked if G25 are better than xyz and I always answer they were better for me but not for everyone.

No iron will magically drop 8 strokes off of someones hcp. It is all about finding what works best for you. Good luck with your search
[/quote]

Sometimes a little humor gets the point across better than a boat-load of supposed facts. Obviously the G25's are highly rated irons. I've hit them on the computer and the CFS shaft was quite capable (195 yard 6 iron, regular shaft). Ithought they were better than the i20's and I'm a pretty good ball striker. They started handing me KBS and other shaft options, and for me, the CFS was fine, regular went stupid long, and the stiff was about 8 yards shorter, but slightly more online. I could adjust to either. The precision comes from the swing, the mental aspect comes from the club appearance..aka confidence. Some like blondes, and others like blondes...I mean redheads. 90% is all about how you handle the merchandise.

None

Taking meds, personality disorders and evil twins aside :-) these clubs have certainly built up some great reviews from players who have actually used them on a golf course.

I find it interesting reading the opinions of players of all abilities regarding these irons. Grateful the original poster started this thread, have enjoyed it.

I have had these for about 15 rds and just don't feel comfortable with them. My scores have went up since playing them. Came from TM MC's that I played for years with good success.
What the heck is wrong with me? Feel like an idiot that I can't play them. Any advice?

TM Stealth2+ 10.5 Diamana T+ 60s

TM Stealth2 15* TM Ventus TR 6-S 

TM Sim2 Max 19 Hybrid Ventus 7-S

Mizuno Pro 225 4-GW DG 105 S300
Mizuno T24 Denim 54S/58V DG S400

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

[quote name='OspreyCI' timestamp='1391787878' post='8615915']
I have had these for about 15 rds and just don't feel comfortable with them. My scores have went up since playing them. Came from TM MC's that I played for years with good success.
What the heck is wrong with me? Feel like an idiot that I can't play them. Any advice?
[/quote]

I had trouble adjusting as did others in this thread....I've said before that you need to give it some time. The benefits come once you dial them in. That said, not everyone is going to get along with them -- you could be better off with less offset/smaller head etc.

Stealth, TSR2, AP2's, and a JB Versa 

Osprey, different strokes for different folks. They may simply not be for you. Or you may just need more time with them. As to the i20's, sure they might be for you, but no real way for us to know. The i's are a good bit less forgiving than the G's, but that may not be an issue for you. Many people love the i20's.

In my limited time during this terrible winter with my new G15's with CFS shafts, I think it is going to be a very fun season for me. They seem pretty automatic. But the proof will be in the pudding as they say. For the long haul of the season, will they get the job done. And I've played G15's and Rapture V2's previously without huge success (with the AWT shaft). So I know nothing is automatic.

Anyway, that is why I keep around backups that I know perform and I can throw in the bag at any time. AP1's, Wilson Staff Ci9's. These are GI irons but less chunky than the G's. You might just prefer a slimmer iron. Good luck.

Ping G430 Max 10K 9* Driver, GD Tour AD HD-6 S

Callaway ‘23 Great Big Bertha 3 Wood, Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 70 6.0

Callaway Epic Flash TC 5 Wood, Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 70 6.0

Callaway Paradym X 4 and 5 Hybrids, Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 80 6.0

Taylormade QI Irons 6-AW, MMT 105 S

Taylormade Milled Grind 4 Wedges 54*/11 and 58*/11, MMT 105 TX (ss1x)

PXG Battle Ready 2 One & Done PN Putter

[quote name='OspreyCI' timestamp='1391791735' post='8616529']
Would i20's be the trick?
[/quote]

I couldn't get along with the i20's and others have had the same problem. Don't love the firm insert and the badging came off my 4 iron week 1 (they fixed this issue but still bugged me). Went back to my (some would say [size=4]unhealthy obsession with) the i5's though. [/size]

[size=4]lastly I hit the i25 yesterday at range in freezing temp / no warmup / in dress shoes and pured every one of them. Felt more forgiving that the i20 imho.[/size]

[quote name='gallas2' timestamp='1391792426' post='8616619']
[quote name='OspreyCI' timestamp='1391791735' post='8616529']
Would i20's be the trick?
[/quote]

I couldn't get along with the i20's and others have had the same problem. Don't love the firm insert and the badging came off my 4 iron week 1 (they fixed this issue but still bugged me). Went back to my (some would say [size=4]unhealthy obsession with) the i5's though. [/size]

[size=4]lastly I hit the i25 yesterday at range in freezing temp / no warmup / in dress shoes and pured every one of them. Felt more forgiving that the i20 imho.[/size]
[/quote]
I am not the greatest ball striker, that's for sure, but I just don't like looking down at this iron. It does not instill confidence when I am about to pull the trigger. A smaller headed club has always been tougher to hit, but in my mind I feel more sure about it. Sounds backwards I guess....

Guess I should go demo the i20's again, can't afford new i25's.

Last year I demo'd the Cally Xhot Pro iron and loved it until I read this thread when it started. Talked myself into the G25's and has not been fun golf anymore. Have to go demo smaller headed irons now..

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

^That's a fair assessment of the club and how it meshes - or doesn't mesh - with what you need.
For some the big piece of metal behind the ball inspires confidence, and for others the ball gets lost amongst that big piece of metal.

Sounds like you are in the 'gets lost' camp. I had a similar experience, not to the point I don't like the G25s (I've kept them as my trips home clubs and could play them full time if I didn't know any better) but certainly where the Callys fit my eye better.

I'm sure after some trial and error you'll find something that suits you as well as the G25s do for a ton of golfers :)

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

OspreyCl

You are in a good place and you are not even aware of it. Sell the G25s and buy a set of Callaway x hot pros with the same shaft you demoed and hit so well. You will end up with money in your pocket.

Not every iron is for every golfer, look, size, offset, none of these things should be taken lightly as they all effect our comfort and confidence level.

If memory serves me right you have had these for a while and have given them enough of a chance. Time to move to something you feel good about. We will still talk to you :taunt:

Ping Rapture V2
Ping G15, four wood
Ping G25 - 4 to PW
Scotty newport

GMoney (Gbyeball),
Yes, I think I whined about these months ago and you said to give them time. Followed your advice and still unhappy, thanks again for your advice and help.

Funny thing is... Just left PGA SS and was hitting the G25 CFS regular flex very, very good. Could the CFS Stiff just be too much for me? Even showing 7 iron SS at about 82 mph and Ball Speed about 110. Strange..
Hit S55 and the i25, along with the G25. Hit the G25 the best with Reg flex.

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

If you can handle an 8.5° driver with a 73g whiteboard sfiff, I'd be shocked if you couldn't handle the CFS stiff. I'm a regular flex sort of guy, and I found the CFS regular a bit whippy, and the CFS stiff to be really nice. Whatever works though.

Ping G430 Max 10K 9* Driver, GD Tour AD HD-6 S

Callaway ‘23 Great Big Bertha 3 Wood, Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 70 6.0

Callaway Epic Flash TC 5 Wood, Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 70 6.0

Callaway Paradym X 4 and 5 Hybrids, Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 80 6.0

Taylormade QI Irons 6-AW, MMT 105 S

Taylormade Milled Grind 4 Wedges 54*/11 and 58*/11, MMT 105 TX (ss1x)

PXG Battle Ready 2 One & Done PN Putter

[quote name='OspreyCI' timestamp='1391815436' post='8619240']
GMoney (Gbyeball),
Yes, I think I whined about these months ago and you said to give them time. Followed your advice and still unhappy, thanks again for your advice and help.

Funny thing is... Just left PGA SS and was hitting the G25 CFS regular flex very, very good. Could the CFS Stiff just be too much for me? Even showing 7 iron SS at about 82 mph and Ball Speed about 110. Strange..
Hit S55 and the i25, along with the G25. Hit the G25 the best with Reg flex.
[/quote]

With your swing speed you could play either reg. or stiff depending on your tempo and release. Do you feel like you have to swing hard with your stiff shafted G25's? What is the color code you have and what was the color code you were hitting in the store. I have CFS reg. flex black dot, I also own a G20 black dot with CFS stiff 7 iron demo I bought for $10.00. I can hit both stiff and reg. side by side on the range and see no difference other than I get effortless distance with the regular. Maybe brighter minds will chime in and help. There is so little difference at your ss but you never know. What kind of misses or you experiencing, is it consistent one way or a multiple mess!!!

Ping Rapture V2
Ping G15, four wood
Ping G25 - 4 to PW
Scotty newport

G,
I really feel like I have to swing hard to get the stuff to work. That's probably because I have a bit OTT move with some casting. I use the green code, but was demoing a a regular flex, black dot. Didn't demo enough to see a trend, but misses were better with the regular.
I think you said it.. I got effortless distance and it felt awesome!

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

Osprey wait a month and i25s will start showing up on bst and the bay. I'm no fitter but I've hit just about everything and IMHO if you're hitting the regular shaft better, why not swap for regular?

If u have a smooth transition regular might feel better -- depends on how you load the shaft etc. I'm at 87 mph and have had fitters put me in regular and stiff. Get into soft stepping the stiff and now you're really wrx'ing!

[quote name='OspreyCI' timestamp='1391822938' post='8619992']
G,
I really feel like I have to swing hard to get the stuff to work. That's probably because I have a bit OTT move with some casting. I use the green code, but was demoing a a regular flex, black dot. Didn't demo enough to see a trend, but misses were better with the regular.
I think you said it.. I got effortless distance and it felt awesome!
[/quote]

No offense, but how about fixing the OTT and pre-release? If you plan on getting rid of those pesky swing errors, the Pings (or any currently favored club) may become less desirable after improvement. Just a thought.

None

[quote name='gallas2' timestamp='1391823184' post='8620023']
Osprey wait a month and i25s will start showing up on bst and the bay. I'm no fitter but I've hit just about everything and IMHO if you're hitting the regular shaft better, why not swap for regular?

If u have a smooth transition regular might feel better -- depends on how you load the shaft etc. I'm at 87 mph and have had fitters put me in regular and stiff. Get into soft stepping the stiff and now you're really wrx'ing!
[/quote]
I guess that's what I was throwing out there. Should I have PING reshaft with CFS regulars. That's what I am thinking. Anyone know what they charge?

Been trying to fix the OTT, but want to enjoy golf until it is gone.

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

[quote name='OspreyCI' timestamp='1391823693' post='8620093']

[/quote]
I guess that's what I was throwing out there. Should I have PING reshaft with CFS regulars. That's what I am thinking. Anyone know what they charge?

[/quote]

If you feel you have to swing too hard with stiff it is time for a refitt. Find a retailer that has a fitting cart, better yet call Ping CS explain your situation and have them recommend someone. Go through the complete fitting process and see what conclusions are made. It probably will not cost you anything. If regualr flex shaft and a different dot code is required have Ping do the work or sell these irons and ordered new to spec.

Ping Rapture V2
Ping G15, four wood
Ping G25 - 4 to PW
Scotty newport

[quote name='OspreyCI' timestamp='1391823693' post='8620093']

[/quote]

[/quote]

As you were so recently thinking of selling the G25s I would try and do more testing before paying out for a complete set re shaft.

Did you hit your own 7 iron with the 7 iron side by side with the CFS regular 7 iron? It could just have been a good swing day?

Also you mentioned the different lye set up (green dot v black dot) 2 tests would be good before shelling out more cash:

Current 7 iron v cfs regular

Current 7 iron re set to black dot lye v cfs regular in same lye.

Outdoor on course tests also the best if possible.

Another idea would be to maybe get 1 of your irons re shafted only so you can use it on course for a few rounds to see how it compares to the test of the set, if you find yourself looking forward to the 7 iron yardage more than any others then you know it's the one. I'm currently doing that with a kbs tour shaft in my 7 iron (rest of the set cfs stiff) although I haven't got out on the course yet due to crappy UK weather.

[quote][quote name='Donno' timestamp='1391735701' post='8612805']

[/quote]

[/quote]

Meds.

Good observation.

Can you imagine ol' Donno coming onto the site writing a dissertation on everything golf, the length of which is worthy of Tolstoy's "War and Peace" and then asks a question of US like this ???

[quote name='Donno' timestamp='1391486402' post='8594564']
I just demo'd the G25's with both the KBS tour and CFS shafts. Both performed equally well overall, some shots went higher or lower depending upon each swing and angle of attack. Which should I choose? My swing is not the same every shot (I wish or I'd be on TV...LOL) so I'm confused. If my swing was consistently the same, would the KBS's be better?
[/quote]

No wonder people love message boards so much !!! You just can't make this stuff up !!! You'd have to spend upwards of $100 per ticket to get this same type of entertainment on Broadway !!! :taunt::taunt::taunt:

[font=comic sans ms,cursive][color=#ff8c00][b]Cobra Bio Cell+[/b][/color]
[color=#000080][b]Adams A12 Pro 16, 20, 23[/b][/color]
[b][color=#696969]Ping G20, 5-SW, C-Taper stiff[/color][/b]
[color=#ff0000][b]TM xft wedge 64[/b][/color]
[b][color="#000000"]Scotty Futura X[/color][/b][/font]
[font=comic sans ms,cursive][b]ProV1x[/b][/font]

[quote name='gopherguts' timestamp='1391868910' post='8622273']
[quote][quote name='Donno' timestamp='1391735701' post='8612805']

[/quote]

[/quote]

Meds.

Good observation.

Can you imagine ol' Donno coming onto the site writing a dissertation on everything golf, the length of which is worthy of Tolstoy's "War and Peace" and then asks a question of US like this ???

[quote name='Donno' timestamp='1391486402' post='8594564']
I just demo'd the G25's with both the KBS tour and CFS shafts. Both performed equally well overall, some shots went higher or lower depending upon each swing and angle of attack. Which should I choose? My swing is not the same every shot (I wish or I'd be on TV...LOL) so I'm confused. If my swing was consistently the same, would the KBS's be better?
[/quote]

No wonder people love message boards so much !!! You just can't make this stuff up !!! You'd have to spend upwards of $100 per ticket to get this same type of entertainment on Broadway !!! :taunt::taunt::taunt:
[/quote]

Well written...worth a "like" IMO. I enjoy the sarcasm-laced advice on this forum. I'm sure I'm not the only one who notices that any given club, on any given day, can feel different...better or worse...especially if one's swing is in a transitional mode of correcting faults or some body part is uncooperative. Moreover, toss in constantly changing course dynamics related to different types of grass/stances/uphill/downhill/rough encountered.

As for obsession over precision fittings, ever notice when people hit "[i]other people's[/i]" clubs ([i]and we've all done this[/i]) more often than not they hit a perfectly good shot despite lack of "fitting". I believe this occurs because the lack of expectation promotes a more free-flowing and relaxed swing. Can't fit unrealistic expectations.

Hmmm...Broadway $100/ticket...those can't be good seats.

None

Donno

I could not agree more with you regarding switching clubs because of bad swing days. More club hoing is done because of this than for any other reason. Guys that say they do NOT change clubs looking for the holy grail are just fooling themselves. I have played that Ping Rapture driver for three full seasons. It works so well I am afraid to regrip it. Sure I have hit some terrible shots with it, we are amatures and that will happen with anything

Ping Rapture V2
Ping G15, four wood
Ping G25 - 4 to PW
Scotty newport