2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Discussion Topic: Is this the golden age of artisanal putter making?

drewspin

SSIA

Take a look at the craftsmanship coming from the small machine shops by Byron Morgan, David Mills, Dave Billings, Dave Curry, George Palombi, Serge Deschamps, Heritage Golf, and other lesser knowns.

The quality is phenomenal, the ideas inspired. Not to mention you can pick up the phone and speak with these guys. I have lost all desire to even go look at putters in the Big Box golf stores.

So here's to the artists burning the midnight oil over the kneemills and pursuing your craft with a passion.

:) :) :fool:

Drew

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

SSIA

Take a look at the craftsmanship coming from the small machine shops by Byron Morgan, David Mills, Dave Billings, Dave Curry, Tom Slighter, George Palombi, David Witlam, Serge Deschamps, Heritage Golf, and other lesser knowns.

The quality is phenomenal, the ideas inspired. Not to mention you can pick up the phone and speak with these guys. I have lost all desire to even go look at putters in the Big Box golf stores.

So here's to the artists burning the midnight oil over the kneemills and pursuing your craft with a passion.

:) :fool: :cheesy:

Drew

Drew

does this mean you and Lawrence and Scott are buying at the next get together?????

jay :)

Also, let's not forget Bettinardi - I'm sure it was an honest mistake! :)

Does RJB hand-make putters? Honest question. If so, I don't believe I have ever seen one. Maybe Todd can tell us.

I know Bettinardi has some VERY creative an inspired designs and very high end CNC production (witness the American flag micromilling on the Ryder Cup putter, the Colt 45, spiderweb and others.

Moecat, if for the sake of argument, the answer is "No." Then, my response is that while I respect RJB and his work for sure...

This is a shout-out to the guys behind the protective eyewear who shape metal into flatsticks in their studios and garages; the guys who hand-mill billets into putters; the guys who TiG weld necks; hand grind soles, and finish off the work with their own hands; the creative artisans who are also sculptors.

:)

If we're talking "artisanal" then Bettinardi should absolutely be included in this. If he's not "skilled in an applied art," I don't know who is. He's proven his ability to come up with many of his own original takes and innovations on classic designs, and is unparalleled in his ability for precision milling.

If handmaking is the issue, then Whitlam should certainly be excluded, especially as the majority of his putters are designed in Japan, and arguably Slighter (though he does do some neck-welding), as his putters are milled, and aren't quite as refined as some others out there. I'm pretty sure that Heritage putters are completely milled too--though I'm sure his milling process is more involved than some others. I know Dave Billings is a fan of the CNC, but OMG! the amount of work that goes into his putters after the mill gets turned off is amazing. Does it get any nicer than the melted shoulders/bumpers, hand-rubbed finishes, peened cavities, and everything else?

I do think that Cameron should be added to this list as well. Just because he's got the cult-following, and most of his putters are milled shouldn't exclude him from props. The Classics still stand as one of the finest examples of the Anser to date, whether or not he milled them doesn't change the fact that his name is on the face, and he's put out enough handmades/garage putters over the years to prove his ability. You can call him the ultimate marketer all you want, but if he didn't have a solid product, it wouldn't be as popular...or in the hands of the world's number one golfer.

One conclusion that I think I've come to recently is that we don't really live in any true golden age as far as putter making is concerned. We are however, lucky enough to have the resources of the internet at our disposal and are better able to find out who all is out there. I'm a little behind the curve when it comes to putter knowledge, but I didn't know anything about Byron Morgan until I came here. Just because he's starting to get popular (in my eyes), doesn't change the fact that he's been making putters since the 80's (or so--like I said, "behind the curve"), and that he's not VERY active with the local golf scene in California for years, and has had some huge success overseas. Same thing stands for a number of guys. So big thanks to all you experts who share your information with us and point us in the right directions. :)

:hi:

::: Great topic BTW :::

I've learned more about putting in the last year than I ever thought I could. The Romance involved with a putter doesn't happen with any other club.

(I think a lot of you know that I'm trying my damnedest to make it the most important club in everyone's bag.)

I think the lever lf talent that's being displayed by this crop of craftsmen is second to none.

Golden age: You Bet....but I'll bet the best is yet to come.

Design is art. Bettinardi is an artist. I am NOT trying to say otherwise.

There is a certain parallel between the artform of lithography and CNC machine production of putters.

I'm raising my glass and tipping my hat (and sending my Pay Pal $$) to those INDEPENDENT craftsman who hand-make putters from carbon steel (or brass or aluminum), often at night, often working alone or with their dog by their side. They are pushing the envelope of the artform without corporate investment, with the smallest of marketing and advertising budgets, without pay for play.

They are making a livelihood (or pursuing their hobbist passion) producing putters WITH THEIR HANDS. And if their wives are working to cover their health insurance, then my hat's off to them too.

And a round for SpecialBlend: Cheers to you! I would love to see pictures of your handmades and the story of how you made them.

Jay i think the three of us can scrape up enough to cover some fine dining for you.....do you want Taco Bell of Mikky D's? :)

Cobra F9 Speedback 7.0 Graphite Design Tour Ad GP 7x
Callaway Rogue SUB ZERO 13.5 HZRDUS Yellow 83x
Srixon U85 18 & 22  Steelfiber 110 X-cw 
Srixon 585  5/6 Steelfiber 110 X-cw
Srixon 785 7/8/9 Steelfiber 110 X-cw
 Cleveland 46,52 58 RTX3 Steelfiber 125 X-cw
Odyssey Mc2 Oworks
Srixon Zstar gloves, and Zstar XV Ball

It is a world where if you know what you want there are a group of very talented guys that can build it for you. I like to think that we are the informed/obsessed group but its the ability to be able to have consultation and insight put into your peice of art.

Doug i agree totally with the putter love affair. Its the most personal club in the bag and the one with the most instant feedback and gratification. No matter a players handicap...having a putter that you can believe in and score with it the ultimate relationship as far as equipment is concerned.

Cheers

Scott

Jay the awful waffle it is but the waitress cant have all of her teeth and her voice has got to be deeper than mine :)

Odyssey Mc2 Oworks

If handmaking is the issue, then Whitlam should certainly be excluded, especially as the majority of his putters are designed in Japan, and arguably Slighter (though he does do some neck-welding), as his putters are milled, and aren't quite as refined as some others out there. I'm pretty sure that Heritage putters are completely milled too--though I'm sure his milling process is more involved than some others. I know Dave Billings is a fan of the CNC, but OMG! the amount of work that goes into his putters after the mill gets turned off is amazing. Does it get any nicer than the melted shoulders/bumpers, hand-rubbed finishes, peened cavities, and everything else?

Fair points, I've edited the original post to exclude Whitlam and Slighter for the reasons you mention.

I have not included Cameron or Bettnardi. Scott is undeniably able to make a very very nice handmade garage putter, but neither he nor Bettinardi are without corporate backing, both have sizeable marketing budgets when comparted with the others listed, and neither's own hands touch more than 10%+ of their wares. And good luck calling Scott about that custom design you have in mind.

I am NOT saying either is a lesser artist.

:)

One more of those and I'm calling a cab.

I think the most important thing to remember is that there is NO perfect putter for EVERYONE. That's why we have so many options.

I feel that the craftsmanship of a putter builds trust. If the putter feel s cheap in my hands, than I 'm not going to trust it. If it feels like someone took the time to make it special, than it's more 'trustworthy' in my eyes. That's just my opinion though...

This is a fantastic topic. I think with the computer, internet and CNC machines, this has allowed those who have ambitions in golf to get their name out. I would think that very few have come up with anything that is eath shattering developments since Ping created some of their designs. Furthermore, I think that some can see that there is a niche for all designers. I would like to see some more of Heritage Putters ( Very Impressive). The one thing that I like about all of the putter makers metioned above is the fact that you can talk, collaborate, and make options for a possible prototype ideas.

I am very excited about getting a Mills putter this Spring and a Prototype from Slighter this year. That will make 5 putters in the last year and a half. While this number is small compared to most of you, for me that is a lot. I would also like to mention that if I do not like something about the putter I bought, I can simply start again with a new designer, new style, and material. I say continue with the renaissance of putter craftsman.

Driver: Tour Issue Epic Flash TD 10.5o w/ Fuji Ventus Black 6x 

5wd: Taylormade Sim2 SHAFT???    

Hybrid: 19Titleist 915 w/ Diamana 90 Stiff

Irons: 4Iron thru GW Titleist T100  Shaft????     

Wedges: Edel Wedges 54 & 58 Nippon Modus 125 

Putter: PXG Bat Attack Gen1

SSIA

Take a look at the craftsmanship coming from the small machine shops by Byron Morgan, David Mills, Dave Billings, Dave Curry, George Palombi, Serge Deschamps, Heritage Golf, and other lesser knowns.

:) :) :fool:

Drew

Geez Drew you're putting me in some pretty heavy duty company! I'm not even in business yet! :cheesy:

For the gentleman who was asking my age, I'm 29. A bit more info...Took Mechanical Engineering at Algonquin College in Ottawa, Ontario (3 year diploma program, technologist equivalent). Graduated and went to work for JDS Uniphase for about 16 months and then got laid off along with the rest of my department. Looked for a job as a mechanical technologist, all I could find was HVAC stuff and some QC. Not for me. Got fed up and took Machining; Tool and Die (again @ Algonquin, 2 years) graduated and am now at work as an apprentice machinist for a local company that makes woodworking and gardening tools.

And Drew, I agree with you. Custom made is the way to go. You as a customer are part of the process and have input into the finished product. You also get insight as to the steps and how it is made. In the end you get a putter made for YOU. How cool is that? :cheesy:

With mass produced putters operators/machinists are running parts. There is no enthusiasm here, it is just loading one part after another. Not that they are bad quality, there is QC in place to ensure this. And I'm sure people want to do a good job. But honestly, to them a part is a part. Make the part to spec (in tolerance). Make as many parts to spec as possible. It may sound cold, but it's the truth. I work mainly in production at my day job (do some stints in the toolroom which are much better) and let me tell you it is mind-numbing, soul-destroying work. Yes, I do a setup now and then. And I'm rotated around (right now I'm in grinding). But the enthusiasm is just not there. I don't look forward to going to work. I've made suggestions to improve things, come up with some ideas. But the response is basically "just do your job and run parts" in nicer terms. There are a couple mid-level managers who would like to see us improve, learn, and participate in the process. But they aren't the decision makers. And it's like this at 90% percent of mid-large size shops. Sounds bleak but it's true.

This isn't the same process or mentality that takes place with the small craftsman operations. The creations are theirs and they usually do the whole thing, from initial consultation, milling, finishing, stamping, paintfill assembly, etc... So they take pride in making quality putters for discerning connoisseurs who know what they want. I enjoy making putters for people. I enjoy throwing ideas back and forth with other putter geeks and golfers in general to ensure they get what they want and to exchange info. And I really enjoy seeing positive reviews. I have no problem with criticism or suggestion, it's helps me to improve in the future. I'm sure the other putter guys: Byron Morgan, David Mills, Dave Billings, Dave Curry, George Palombi, Heritage Golf feel the same way.

Sorry to ramble on, but I think Drew brought up an interesting topic and I had something to add.

Serge

Moe...would you consider yourself a bit of a putter collector :) it looks like youve got just about one of everybody. I guess you dont discriminate.

Odyssey Mc2 Oworks

We must not forget Tom Slighter as well. In addition to my DeSchamps Classic 1 Proto, I have been putting with a Slighter Portland with a Bellvue (basically a Newport 1.5) hosel. These putters, both fine examples of superb artisanal puttermaking, have been waging a war as to which will be my gamer.

Not so much the golden age but a result of information being readily available.

Mills (TP), Clay Long, RJB, a most of the guys mentioned have been making putters for a long time. All these forums and avenues to post pics and discuss with them their design aspects and subleties maker us all appreciate the hardwork more so.

Ideas/exchanges between customer and maker is also now readily and easily expressed resulting in even better products.

The best from all these guys is yet to come.

Not so much the golden age but a result of information being readily available.

Mills (TP), Clay Long, RJB, a most of the guys mentioned have been making putters for a long time. All these forums and avenues to post pics and discuss with them their design aspects and subleties maker us all appreciate the hardwork more so.

Ideas/exchanges between customer and maker is also now readily and easily expressed resulting in even better products.

The best from all these guys is yet to come.

Yes, the internet certainly helps a LOT. It is very hard to spread the word, connect with people and get the putters out there without it. Players can also read the reviews before making a decision, it benefits everybody.

For the one-man operations, a website and forum interaction is just 100% required. There is no way I would be making a run at this without an internet connection.

Wow. To even be listed is an honor. :)

It is hard to believe it's been 5 years since I brought out my first putter. And Prior to that- it had been about 2 years in the works, on a small tight budget!

But have made a a few nice putters--and more importantly made a TON of great friends. And tried to make them unique for their new owners. As Jesse James says about his Bikes....." They are Custom made for you, exactly the way I want it" :)

I am a fan of all putters no matter how off the beaten path they are. Hell, at the cameron Birthday Party I didn't even game one of my putters OR a Cameron...But a handmade Mills. Why ? because it has Mojo lol

A very minor heath problem had slowed me down a touch- but all is well....

Presently working on 2 projects that I hope to blow your minds :-)

Probably will never make a hundred thousand putters a year- and really don't wish to.

But, good things to come.and there's a lot of room out there for a LOT of great putters.

Given my proclivity for handcrafted carbon shaped into a putter---I'm not sure how I missed this thread until now.

Sorry folks, but I think the point of the thread is to show some true appreciation for those artisans who started for one reason or another, but continue to craft peices of metal that are equal parts beauty and function....and do it despite the fact they may never become rich, famous, or the next Scotty.

Personally, I must applaud the craftsman who chooses to put in the hours because they believe they have a better idea, better design, and finely honed skills...not just marketing and R&D Depts that put their products in your local 'big box' golf store.

....and to answer your first post Jay; food and drinks are on us!