2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Tom Slighter's new signature logo Japrechaun

Gxgolfer

It looks like clip art.

An endeavor to introduce a brand identity representing a company requires a unique mark. The illustration style is very much crafted after clipart that everyone has, owns or recognizes as such. Even the lengthy explanation denotes an asumption that the public will not be able to decipher the very subtle ethnic approach. If it worked no explantion would be required, the public would immediately recognize it and the artistic value would be some what unique. The theme is fine, but I would attempt a different style. The image is very complicated and is asking a lot from the audience. When there is no history between the audience and the character and the audience has no emtional ties to the Japerchaun the audience will move on very quickly. My suggestion would be to stream line it a bit (see the Camico character) by deleting the desk, computer, and chair. Then make the outline strokes a little thicker making it more modern and less 1950s cartoon/clipart. Check out the Fighting Irish logo, or any pro sports team where the marks are a success for one of two reasons... a modern execution (expansion franchises) or historical brand value (Yankees).

Many Byron Putters
Scratch Don Whites
Scratch Jeff McCoys
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/646544-finalists-witb-452013-damascus-byron-scratch-td/page__hl__%20finalist"]WITB Link[/url]

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is a modern day golf japanese caricature.

post-11-1170482745.gif

I will ask, how do you tell the difference between Chinese, Japanese, Taiwanese and Koreans if there are no stereotypes to go by?

ster·e·o·type (stĕr'ē-ə-tīp', stîr'-) pronunciation

n.

1. A conventional, formulaic, and oversimplified conception, opinion, or image.

2. One that is regarded as embodying or conforming to a set image or type.

3. Printing. A metal printing plate cast from a matrix molded from a raised printing surface, such as type.

How do you tell the difference between a german and an austrian? The point is people don't market to ethnicities unless the product is specifically for that market.

Before sending me a message for help, please look at the website support section:
Have a Ad/BST question, first look and post here:
BST AD Help
If you have a general help question, post here:
GolfWRX Website Help Desk

post-11-1170482745.gif

I thought that was George Lopez. I am happy to learn it isn't George and that the Japanese have really big a** heads.

Yes, they do look alike.

headshot-135x95.jpg

Before sending me a message for help, please look at the website support section:
BST AD Help

Well,

They can tell by facial features and by talking with them. Also, sometimes by manner of dress. There is a difference between a profile and a stereotype. Its subtle but a difference.

Though distinctly different, most people in America cannot tell between a Filipino and a Korean or Japanese person. That is fact.

post-11-1170482745.gif

I will ask, how do you tell the difference between Chinese, Japanese, Taiwanese and Koreans if there are no stereotypes to go by?

n.

3. Printing. A metal printing plate cast from a matrix molded from a raised printing surface, such as type.

How do you tell the difference between a german and an austrian? The point is people don't market to ethnicities unless the product is specifically for that market.

I don't. But that ignores my question. The premise was that most Americans can't tell the difference between those particular groups, meaning, I suspect, that someone who is Japanese can. How?

BST AD Help

post-11-1170482745.gif

n.

I don't. But that ignores my question. The premise was that most white Americans can't tell the difference between those particular groups, meaning, I suspect, that someone who is Japanese can. So I want to know how to tell the difference.

Actually, both of the photos look like the characture. Meh, what do I know?

Well, aren't facial features and manner of dress stereotypes? The only difference between stereotype and profile is semantics. And I can tell by talking to them. Having a discussion with a person doesn't seem to be what the original post was implying.

By the way, I apologize as I didn't see you posting and I reposted my reply so we are now out of order. I wanted to respond to both posts at once and I was trying to keep things tidy. I goofed.

Well,

They can tell by facial features and by talking with them. Also, sometimes by manner of dress. There is a difference between a profile and a stereotype. Its subtle but a difference.

post-11-1170482745.gif

n.

I don't. But that ignores my question. The premise was that most Americans can't tell the difference between those particular groups, meaning, I suspect, that someone who is Japanese can. How?

I apologize that the logo is being interpreted the wrong way. We have some great things in the future, both for designs on headcovers/apparel that appeal to the Japanese and the Irish and hopefully to the vast world of golf.

No offense of course was intended, please check out the link below! It will show a preview of whats going on. This is what the logo is and the logo does not have a computer in it.

www.japrechaun.com

It is in its early stages but check back for the marketing concept in its entirety.

Any questions... Please feel free to email me @ [email protected]

Tom does not need to be emailed or phoned about this. He is very busy making his customer's putters and I would prefer if you have to rant or anything else... please speak with me.

hey head....

I'm half japanese... I could pretty much tell the difference between all asians quite easily.. HOW ? I dont know I just can. I guess growing up in various cities that tended to be very multi-cultural helped. There are always a few ppl that can fool you, but for the most part I got it down.

Actually it's a just a special asian power.. :)

Woods : Callaway Razr TA, Titleist F3-05
Hybrid : Adams LSP XTD
Irons : Fourteen TC910 3&4I, Nike VRProCombo 5-PW
Wedges : Fourteen RM-11 54/60
Putter : Nike Method 003 Oven

Well, aren't facial features and manner of dress stereotypes? I can tell by talking to them. That doesn't seem to tbe what the original post was talking about.

The original post and point of this thread is marketing image and branding. Its now going towards stereotyping because of the term "Japan" and the negative connotations that come along with that term.

Facial features, speech and dress are based upon factual references. Stereotyping is an exaggeration, generalization or mistruth about said reference.

happytombutton.jpg

BST AD Help

I do not like the logo because I believe it does not portray either ethnic groups in a positive manner. I would be quite surprised if and irish or asian let alone japanese person would like this logo. I do not support his logo in any for or fashion. Oh and for the resord if any is questioning my post I will let you know I have English, German, and Scottish bloodlines.

i am 100% white and i can usually tell the ethnicity of different asians...and as i am not japanese, i cant tell you if the logo is offensive...

but the cartoon looks JUST like tom...good artist

well you got "soul".. your avatar tell me that. :)

Woods : Callaway Razr TA, Titleist F3-05
Hybrid : Adams LSP XTD
Irons : Fourteen TC910 3&4I, Nike VRProCombo 5-PW
Wedges : Fourteen RM-11 54/60
Putter : Nike Method 003 Oven

I checked out the link above and it's not bad, but not exciting. My first thought from a marketing value point is that Slighter will need to saturate the public with the mark as it stands. There's not much value in it without explaning to the public that it is Tom Slighter and it represents his ethnic diversity which creates a lot of work for Slighter golf and the public's effort to read it as such. OK, so there's a leperchaun holding a putter. I need more than that to care. If saturating the public with this image is not in the marketing budget then I would redevelop the character in a much more exciting way. Where's the emotional message (emotional design will win over just about everyone), or the immediate benefit of taking in this image (coolness factor?)?

Many Byron Putters
Scratch Don Whites
Scratch Jeff McCoys
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/646544-finalists-witb-452013-damascus-byron-scratch-td/page__hl__%20finalist"]WITB Link[/url]

Please also make sure you read the original post of this. It shows a little tidbit of why this came about.

To all that know and dont know.... Tom is half Japanese (sorry for the first 3 letters of that word) and half Irish.

I also have Irish and actually a Chinese and Vietnamese background to my heritage.

Our artist did a great job of portraying Tom as a cartoon. It is of Tom and it shows his more playful side! He doesn't get to show that very much because when he gets home from work... he goes straight to the vertical mill and picks up a custom putter that he needs to get done to work on his next piece of art for our great customers.

It is a playful picture of Tom, that is all. Two words that have been put together and click together well, that is all. We apologize for the issue it brings up and that was never the intention.

[email protected]

I do not like the logo because I believe it does not portray either ethnic groups in a positive manner. I would be quite surprised if and irish or asian let alone japanese person would like this logo. I do not support his logo in any for or fashion. Oh and for the resord if any is questioning my post I will let you know I have English, German, and Scottish bloodlines.

Well I am of Irish descent and I can tell you the Irish part is not offensive - of course leprechauns are fictional creatures and that is usually how they are drawn. The fact that they are fictional makes it somewhat different thean the Japanese part of the image.

The discussion has wandered away from the intial issue. I suspect that Tom may have some issues with the logo, but I don't believe anyone should be offended or that it is inappropriate.

I really do give... while I think this discussion is interesting and, frankly, very important, it is too hard to have over the internet with people you don't know. Too many nuances are lost in the translation to a text format.

Peace.

Dress it up anyway you like, that is all it is, and we all run our lives everyday based on stereotypes. The open among us re-evalute both the stereotypes and the people we come in contact with.

I do agree that tolerant and educated people constantly re-evaluate their colored perceptions. People have free will and the right to conceive whatever stereotypes they want. Perpetuating them should raise questions.

Many cultures have unique dresses that identify the town from which they come from. That's not a stereotype. Thats a cultural fact. The stereotype is that all people from that state or country wear clothes that symbolize where they are from. Semantics to you but a distinct difference.

BST AD Help

This is a really touchy subject that appears to have taken some paths around some rather fiery subjects.

Rather than rehash those, I'd like to go back to the idea of this as a business logo.

Clearly, there's controversy over the logo, and perhaps in certain venues, any publicity is good publicity. However, being in a burgeoning word of mouth, customer based enterprise, you'd think that Tom would want to be sensitive to the thoughts of his potential customers, no matter how large or small the disappointed segment is. There are strong emotions about the word "japrechaun" (rightfully so).

My question is, why not simply keep the logo, and drop the name and appease the customers wishes?

Dress it up anyway you like, that is all it is, and we all run our lives everyday based on stereotypes. The open among us re-evalute both the stereotypes and the people we come in contact with.

I do agree that tolerant and educated people constantly re-evaluate their colored perceptions. People have free will and the right to conceive whatever stereotypes they want. Perpetuating them should raise questions.

Many cultures have unique dresses that identify the town from which they come from. That's not a stereotype. Thats a cultural fact. The stereotype is that all people from that state or country wear clothes that symbolize where they are from. Semantics to you but a distinct difference.

I am sorry, but I am missing the difference.

Aren't both the stereotype and the cultural fact the same thing in your example?

Aren't both the stereotype and the cultural fact the same thing in your example?

No,

Because all people from that town or state don't wear colors that signify that town. Only a percentage due from said location.

Here's another general example. I have traveled to many places across this country and when I tell them I'm from SF (the closest general city), they say I must get alot of girls because of the gay population.... :)

BST AD Help

I checked out the link above and it's not bad, but not exciting. My first thought from a marketing value point is that Slighter will need to saturate the public with the mark as it stands. There's not much value in it without explaning to the public that it is Tom Slighter and it represents his ethnic diversity which creates a lot of work for Slighter golf and the public's effort to read it as such. OK, so there's a leperchaun holding a putter. I need more than that to care. If saturating the public with this image is not in the marketing budget then I would redevelop the character in a much more exciting way. Where's the emotional message (emotional design will win over just about everyone), or the immediate benefit of taking in this image (coolness factor?)?

Japrechaun logo development: $5k

Japrechaun market saturation: $15k

Japrechaun logo accessories: $20k

This thread on GolfWrx: Priceless

This is a really touchy subject that appears to have taken some paths around some rather fiery subjects.

Rather than rehash those, I'd like to go back to the idea of this as a business logo.

Clearly, there's controversy over the logo, and perhaps in certain venues, any publicity is good publicity. However, being in a burgeoning word of mouth, customer based enterprise, you'd think that Tom would want to be sensitive to the thoughts of his potential customers, no matter how large or small the disappointed segment is. There are strong emotions about the word "japrechaun" (rightfully so).

My question is, why not simply keep the logo, and drop the name and appease the customers wishes?

Japrechaun logo development: $5k

Japrechaun market saturation: $15k

Japrechaun logo accessories: $20k

This thread on GolfWrx: Priceless

Its probably the best feedback Tom's ever gotten from this board. :)

In my opinion only, he does need to rework the logo and rethink the marketing.

BST AD Help

No,

Because all people from that town or state don't wear colors that signify that town. Only a percentage due from said location.

Forgive me, one more time before bed... I don't understand. Maybe I am tired.

It is a cultural fact that people dress in a way that identifies where they are from. So, if I see someone dressed that way I assume they are from that town. But, it is not really a cultural fact because not everyone from that town dresses that way. So is it a myth, a stereotype or a profile?

I am missing it altogether. It still seems like a semantic argument. And how does this answer my initial question? Can I, or can't I use facial features and dress to distinguish between cultures?

Here's another general example. I have traveled to many places across this country and when I tell them I'm from SF (the closest general city), they say I must get alot of girls because of the gay population.... :)

Well, some stereotypes fit the stereotype of a stereotype - they are not based on anything sensible.

It is a cultural fact that people dress in a way that identifies where they are from. So, if I see someone dressed that way I assume they are from that town. But, it is not really a cultural fact because not everyone from that town dresses that way. So is it a myth, as stereotype or a profile?

I am missing it altogether. It still seems like a semantic argument. Ands how does this answer my initial question? Can I, or can't I use facial features and dress to distinguish between cultures?

Let's take a indigenous village in Latin America. Women from that village where a certain color pattern to identify that they are from there and can signify family, religion, etc. The village is compromised of mostly indigenous people but, there are generations that have adapted to modern life. So just because a person is from that village, doesn't mean that they will wear the village colors or look indigenous. That's a sterotype. Oh and I do believe that there can be good and bad stereotypes. Its just how they are used.

Amish have a certain style of dress and facial features. That's a profile. They are also known to be hard workers. That probably isn't 100% true for everyone of them. That's a stereotype.

BST AD Help

I just want to say, being of Asian decent. I have no issue with the logo. I think its great. I do think like stated in a earlier post that just leave the logo and lose the name. I want you guys to understand and I think that Tom will agree that the racial lines are mostly here in the States. If you travel to Japan you will see cartoon drawings very similiar to Toms everywhere. I will say this, for as many times I have received quotes from Tom I really never realized what his background was. Tom for all its worth I would love to have gear with that logo. Its just the name that people will question.

Scotty B (Korean/German/Japanese/Polish)

I'm have to agree that the name is borderline offensive. The word "Japan" just sets me on edge. As far as the caricature, I'm "eh" on that because it just doesn't grab me. Tom's intent seems good, but the execution isn't the best.

8.5* Nike Vapor Speed - 7m3
15* Cobra Amp Cell - Fubuki 70x
18* Adams A12 - GD DI 85x
20* Adams Super 9031 - UST VTS 100x
54*, 58* Nike VR Forged
5-PW Mizuno MP64 - PXi 6.0

I agree with finalist. Drop the name and probably choose another color so he doesn't look so jaundice.

BST AD Help

It is a cultural fact that people dress in a way that identifies where they are from. So, if I see someone dressed that way I assume they are from that town. But, it is not really a cultural fact because not everyone from that town dresses that way. So is it a myth, as stereotype or a profile?

I am missing it altogether. It still seems like a semantic argument. Ands how does this answer my initial question? Can I, or can't I use facial features and dress to distinguish between cultures?

Let's take a indigenous village in Latin America. Women from that village where a certain color pattern to identify that they are from there and can signify family, religion, etc. The village is compromised of mostly indigenous people but, there are generations that have adapted to modern life. So just because a person is from that village, doesn't mean that they will wear the village colors or look indigenous. That's a sterotype. Oh and I do believe that there can be good and bad stereotypes. Its just how they are used.

Amish have a certain style of dress and facial features. That's a profile. They are also known to be hard workers. That probably isn't 100% true for everyone of them. That's a stereotype.

The style of dress and facial features are not 100% true for the Amish either.

Neither profiles or stereotypes are 100% acurate. The fact is, there is no practical difference between the two other than the words. It is a semantic argument.

I am also going to return to my initial question.

I asked how you could tell certain cultures apart. You said by facial features and dress. That distinction is based on a stereotype. That is what stereotypes allow us to do - make broad generalizations that allow us to identify things. We refine that identification when more information presents itself - like talking to the person.

Only a biggot would believe a stereotype or profile were correct 100% of the time. The rest of us may make an initial judgement based on a held stereotype, but we are continually adjusting our opinions of people around us as we collect more information about them individually. We also often adjust the stereotypes themselves, if we are smart.

i am 100% white and i can usually tell the ethnicity of different asians...and as i am not japanese, i cant tell you if the logo is offensive...

but the cartoon looks JUST like tom...good artist

Sorry 3rd Cent..but

"JUST"??

post-11-1170536202.jpg

tomsm.jpg

happytombutton.jpg

Tom's eye's hardly look like slits on the characature. At least the skin tone in the third pic is a little more "human".

Only a biggot would believe a stereotype or profile were correct 100% of the time. The rest of us may make an initial judgement based on a held stereotype, but we are continually adjusting our opinions of people around us as we collect more information about them individually. We also often adjust the stereotypes themselves, if we are smart.

Great point. Almost like an "evolution" from this statement.

Yellow skin and slanted eyes are the genetic make-up of native Japanese people. How else should someone of Japanese descent be drawn?

I promise Im out of here....it's too late for this. Good night gentlemen.

I agree with your observations. It seems really tough to use a characature to create/reinforce brand recognition especially when its significance is not readily understood by just viewing the image. Other than the putter, the character doesn't convey a connection to custom putter building. However, Tom's slogan "Precision Putters for Passionate Golfers" is a text book example of print that is simple and can be easily understood by a customer. You add the slogan to the Space Needle and Slighter name and you have a great set-up for creating/reinforcing brand identity without requiring much customer thought.

I think Tom has some great things working for him from a marketing perspective: 1) Pricing: Slighter has prestige pricing...which conveys high quality and people are buying it!; 2) Product: great putters of quality materials and craftsmanship; 3) Placement: custom segment has a following, as evidenced by the number of WXRs purchasing custom putters (Mills, Byron, etc.); and 4) Promotion: as a relatively new business word of mouth and Internet are appropriate channels. However, I am not sure the Japrechaun is going to help the promotion effort.

As Mitch noted, the feedback received here is priceless. Our comments have served as an ad hoc focus group to test the character branding. Although this test did not include the metrics/controls normally used with focus groups, it has raised some issues with the Japrechaun approach. Obviously, a mixed bag of sorts...indicating the promotion needs clarification.