Rounds with a Vintage Bag

[quote name='Soloman1' timestamp='1388149384' post='8353927']
Soloman1 slowly opens the door to the putter room. He's careful because all those putters look like a thousand over-sized "pick up sticks." One false move and they all come tumbling down.

Each one was "the one" in their day. The magic one, or so he thought.

How could anyone go wrong with an 8802 with leather grip? The Marilyn Monroe of putters. Smooth, sultry, elegant and round in just the right places. And her younger sister, the 8813, ain't too shabby either.
[/quote]

We love it when you talk dirty, Soloman

[quote name='Soloman1' timestamp='1388149384' post='8353927']
How could anyone go wrong with an 8802 with leather grip? The Marilyn Monroe of putters.
[/quote]

But did she sing "Happy Birdie To You" when she jumped out of the bag? :)

MODERN:
Yonex eZone 380 10*, Callaway X2 Hot Pro 4w 17*
Callaway Big Bertha Heavenwood 4-7h
Royal Collection Tour VS 8-PW
Fourteen MT28 J.Spec 52*, Yururi Chili 57*, Cleveland CG15 64*
Titleist Scotty Cameron Newport Beach
--------
CLASSIC (under construction):
'62 Hogan Power Thrust irons
--------
HICKORY:
Jack White JWX Model D driver, brassie & spoon
Mills BSD1 aluminium cleek
Tom Stewart mashie & niblick
George Nicoll spade mashie
Tom Morris mashie niblick
Gibson Skoogee niblick
Spalding HB putter

Just doing a little end of the year housekeeping in the office and found my stack of scorecards for the year. I haven't been tracking my handicap this year so I decided to put them in a spreadsheet and see what's what.

Since I started playing the classic clubs exclusively in October it was pretty easy to compare my rounds this year, moderns vs classics.

My scoring average was actually 2.9 strokes [i]lower[/i] with the vintage. Fairways hit were up 2/round, GIR up 1, putts taken down 2. Also, my GPR (grins per round) with the vintage were way up!

I was a bit surprised by the results, but it helps explain why I've had no desire to get the new clubs back out. I did take the modern (2005) forged cavity backs to the range a couple weeks ago, expecting to be blown away by their forgiveness since I've been hitting the tiny old blades with no offset or bounce, but I was actually disappointed. I didn't hit them well at all.

Edit - Found one more card, it was my disaster round with the classics. Factoring it in raised my scoring average an entire stroke, or reduced my margin over the modern clubs to less than 2 shots.

And if you play persimmon, you're my friend

• 1 month later...

[quote name='HoldenCornfield' timestamp='1383181719' post='8081212']
Played my second round of all vintage today and it was pretty much a disaster! Couldn't get off the tee to save my life. I think the biggest problem was that I went back to swinging like an ***hole again! Haha. Where did that nice smooth persimmon swing go?

I hit only one fairway on the front, just four on the back. I had high hopes after a stellar practice session on the range yesterday but that might've done more harm than good as I was really chopping wood and probably ingrained some bad habits (i.e. over-swinging).

I will say, though, that this is a course that always gives me fits. In fact, after today I have a new personal policy regarding it: I will only play it if its free, which luckily today it was.

Despite having nothing but bad memories there I was actually kinda excited about playing it today because its a persimmon era course. Original 9 was laid out in the 50's, back 9 added in the 80's if I recall correctly. We played from the tips today but that's only 6300 yards. However, its tree (and street) lined, really tight, with thick rough and super fast bent grass greens. One member said they were stimping a 14 recently.

[/quote]

I get a chance to redeem myself today on this course (and yes, its free, ha). If you don't hear from me soon it means another disaster!

Well it wasn't a disaster at all, I actually beat the other three despite giving up anywhere from 10-40 yards off the tee. So it can be done with persimmon vs modern clubs. And I shaved 9 strokes off my last score there, despite three-putting six (!) times.

• 1 month later...

New putter to put in the Wilson bag. Short, around 32 inches, heavy, maybe some sand in the shaft. 2 bucks at Goodwill a few days ago. Looks like their Augusta model, but I have not seen one in black. Whatever it is coated with is great. Ball comes off softer than any of the Bullseyes I have, so this is going in the bag.
Had a nice outing a couple of days ago. Culling the herd and think I will be playing the 70's Dynapowers exclusively this season. They haven't let me down yet. Shaft a bit too weak, but it keeps me on track tempo wise and I just club up and swing smooth and easy.

Very nice Randy,

Coincidentally, I picked up a Wilson Sam Snead brass heel shafted blade putter today at the local thrift (a whopping $1.50). I kind of like my flanged Acushnet bullseye, and I do have a Wilson Billy Casper mallet in the garage waiting for a polishing and sanding, but there was something about this stick that called to me.

I'll post some pics when I get a chance later.

I have owned a putter with paint on the face, and although it's no insert, it certainly softens the strike.

Good job back in February HC! Same as my experience last year - golfed against 3 others in an outing, one with all TM, one with all Callaway, and one with some hand me downs. Beat all three with my vintage bag (though did have a modernish driver), and would have beaten them worse if I had not be so infatuated with my Apex IIs. Fg-17s or the Radials for next time I play that course.

D -  TM Stealth+ Kuro Kage 5th Gen 60g S

4W - Ping Anser TFC S

3H - Ping Anser TFC S

4-PW W/S D7 Forged KBS $ Taper Lite S
48* W - Cleveland Zipcore RTX 6 DGS S

54* W - Cleveland Zipcore RTX 6 DGS S

60* W - Cleveland Zipcore RTX 6 DGS S

Putter - 22 TM Spider X Short Slant Hydroblast

Srixon Z-Star - Yellow
10.7 Hdcp (CPGA) 

Having a good run of ball-striking with the vintage gear. I play most of my golf on my own in the evenings (young family, busy with work... the normal), so with the longer days can squeeze in the odd crafty nine. Travel light, half-set of MacGregor MTRs the normal iron choice, various woods, often two drivers, Ironmaster or old Ray Cook putter. Don't spend long lining up putts. Played fifteen the other night (in just over two hours) and hit fourteen greens, having hit eight each time in the previous two outings just playing nine holes, so missed three greens in the last 33 holes played... and nobody there to witness it.

Yesterday, I played 18 walking with my usual minimalist kit. A decade or so ago, I bought a set of (4) nice Ben Hogan Speed Slot laminate woods for $8 at a Second Swing store. I decided to put the Driver and 3W in the bag, along with 6,8, and 9 Haig Ultras from 1969, and a Bulls Eye putter. I played 3 holes with a buddy, then the rest alone. I really wasn't keeping score, but I kept amazing myself. It was like an out of body experience. Trying to remember my score, I played both nines under 40, maybe a 76 or 77 total. Hadn't played since Sunday, so I was well rested.

Today, I went out with the same kit, except I put ancient pom pom covers on the woods, and decided to carry my new Jones (US Open) bag. I met two guys I know on the first tee, and the Jones bag made quite an impression. Anyhow, we played 6 holes and needed to quit due to rain. I had 4 pars, a bogey, and a double.

I normally don't play as well as the last two days, so I know it won't last. The reason I mention it is that yesterday, I felt like someone else. Today, I was playing more like my norm.

Play well!

[quote name='jonnygrouville' timestamp='1398457227' post='9170983']
Having a good run of ball-striking with the vintage gear. I play most of my golf on my own in the evenings (young family, busy with work... the normal), so with the longer days can squeeze in the odd crafty nine. Travel light, half-set of MacGregor MTRs the normal iron choice, various woods, often two drivers, Ironmaster or old Ray Cook putter. Don't spend long lining up putts. Played fifteen the other night (in just over two hours) and hit fourteen greens, having hit eight each time in the previous two outings just playing nine holes, so missed three greens in the last 33 holes played... and nobody there to witness it.
[/quote]

Wow, Jonny that's exceptional, especially with a half-set! There's something about striking the ball well with the classics that somehow makes it more enjoyable for me. Maybe its the lower expectations, maybe its the extra challenge, or maybe its just knowing that I ea[i]rned[/i] that good shot.

I play most of my golf alone in the evenings, as well. Best time of the day, besides daybreak, to be on the course. What I like to do if there's no one behind me (and there never is in the evening) is walk 9 holes playing 2 balls. That way I can get in 18 holes after work and not miss dinner!

There is something very satisfying about it. I seem to remember more shots and not just for where they finish, for what they did to get there and how it felt. For a start, I'm hitting a lot of long irons into greens (7,100 yards from the normal tees). We have proper markers in the fairway, but I am normally trying to get round as quick as possible, so am just casting an eye out for the 150 yard post and trying to work it out from there. I have trouble hitting a fade - a half-set makes me do it.

If I was taking my time, it would probably be worse! Playing junior and college stuff, I was always accused of not taking it seriously as I never took a practice swing and took no time over the ball. The longer I take, the more I think. The more I think, the more nervous I get. Less time, less clubs, better golf, more fun!

The old kit is a multiplier. Standing there, just thinking "Strike this properly" and a lot of the other stuff takes care of itself. Big driver and I could find myself thinking all sorts of technical rubbish.

Playing 18 tomorrow am if the weather holds up. Off to a project on Sunday, so may be out of golf action for a month or so. Times like these I wish my wife would go ahead and retire so I could as well. Anyway, having issues deciding what woods to put in the bag for the round. Going with the fg17s, Dynapower sw, and flange Bullseye putter. Thinking of taking the Macs out and inserting Ping Eye2, 1,3, and 5 laminates. As Ben Crenshaw once said, "I've got a good feeling about this," so going with my gut on the Pings. Also, gping to try a new ball. Have been hearing some buzz about TM's A1. Hope it's worth reporting about after the round.

Well, got out for the first round yesterday with my vintage setup, and a modernish driver (FT-3).

Have to say it was a bit frustrating - the course was well short of ideal, and I felt like my clubhead was all over the place. Coincidental that the above posts are here, as I am considering bringing the Ping Eye 2s out for a few weeks until I get my swing back into form, then go back to the Hogans or Staffs. In 9 holes, only 1 GIR (with a 3 putt natch), and 8 bogies and 1 double for a beautiful +10. Gah. Probably had 18-20 putts as well, but we know the short game always takes time to round out.

Sad to remember that one day in my life I would have felt pretty good about that score.

Have to say though Randy, that the FT-3 I picked up with the XS shaft on your recommendation was pretty stellar. The club feels a bit dead, but I had some superb drives, with nary a hint of a slice - just a nice baby fade.

I'm sure it also helps that this driver was cut down at some point, which probably works better for my stumpy self.

Will maybe take out a Ms. Scooter Jr. this weekend for a round, and will give the vintage another try before pulling out the Pings.

Also tried two new balls, the Z-Star SL and the Noodle Distance. Won't post a review of either yet, as I was making poor contact and would not be reviewing either fairly. Best ball I played yesterday was a Titleist Velocity X-Out that I bought $10 per dozen at Wal-Mart.

4W - Ping Anser TFC S

3H - Ping Anser TFC S

Srixon Z-Star - Yellow
10.7 Hdcp (CPGA) 

Glad you were finally able to get back out on the course Scott. Played my last round for maybe the next two months this morning. Back to Work on Monday and may be gone awhile. Got paired up with three guys from Jersey that moved down south. All about my age. Had a good round, changed my mind and went with the Mac woods and added an '88 Fluid Feel remake to the set as well. Also took the old macs M2 putter.
Hit some solid shots, three birdies, and maybe the best 2 iron of my life. Long hole, for me, 430 yards, drive left me 190 uphill playing about 210 in. High cut 2 to 10 feet. Dropped out of the sky like a marshmallow. Made the putt. Why do I ever want to buy new clubs???

[quote name='oldschoolrocker' timestamp='1399059600' post='9219739']
Glad you were finally able to get back out on the course Scott. Played my last round for maybe the next two months this morning. Back to Work on Monday and may be gone awhile. Got paired up with three guys from Jersey that moved down south. All about my age. Had a good round, changed my mind and went with the Mac woods and added an '88 Fluid Feel remake to the set as well. Also took the old macs M2 putter.
Hit some solid shots, three birdies, and maybe the best 2 iron of my life. Long hole, for me, 430 yards, drive left me 190 uphill playing about 210 in. High cut 2 to 10 feet. Dropped out of the sky like a marshmallow. Made the putt. Why do I ever want to buy new clubs???
[/quote]

Kudos to you Randy!!!

CHASING CLASSIC CLUBS

[/quote]

Everyone's favourite - the GolfWRX passive brag post!

LOL, hope you'll keep in touch while you're on the high seas.

4W - Ping Anser TFC S

3H - Ping Anser TFC S

Srixon Z-Star - Yellow
10.7 Hdcp (CPGA) 

Thanks Alan,
In retrospect last years surgery may have been the best thing that ever happened for my golf game. While recovering I learned to hit a controlled fade as my shot of choice, and if I stay with that I am usually pretty safe. And "the short game." When it's all you can practice for a few months you tend to work out some wrinkles in it. I fully am disappointed now if I don't chip at least one in per round when I miss the green.
I just wish there were more vintage players around my area, or some sort of vintage tourneys to play in. The hickory boys have certainly done theirselves proud with the way they have organized.
My bane at the moment is the green side bunker. I seem to have lost all confidence in my ability to play a respectable shot from it. I truly have not found a classic sandwedge that I trust. When I return I may experiment with a grinding stone and see what I can do.

No you didn't Randy. But I do love how passive brags do show up in every forum. Like in the rules and etiquette forum:

"I nutted my drive 320 yards and it bounced and struck one of the players in the group ahead in the leg" LOL

Heck, I brag about how I've shot my best ever scores with my vintage kit. Hee hee.

Safe travels my friend. And keep your eyes open for an older WIlson wedge such as a Sandy Andy or something like my Harmonized Dual Wedge. I find the heavy bottom flange improved my sand game by like 500% from where it was with my Eye 2+ SW.

4W - Ping Anser TFC S

3H - Ping Anser TFC S

Srixon Z-Star - Yellow
10.7 Hdcp (CPGA) 

[quote name='ScooterMcTavish' timestamp='1399062267' post='9220023']

[/quote]

Everyone's favourite - the GolfWRX passive brag post!

LOL, hope you'll keep in touch while you're on the high seas.
[/quote]

I didn't read it like that all. I love hearing vintage golf club success stories! I take it as encouragement and offer my own experiences in the same vein. I'm playing my best golf and, more importantly, having the most fun I've ever had in golf since buying my first classic set last summer. If it wasn't for this forum I never would have put them in play. So keep those stories coming, OSR, you never know who's reading!

HC,
Understand about the vintage golf. I also am playing the best of my life with them and having more fun than I am certain should be allowed. Just love the feel of the old guard. Not all outings are as successful as the last few have been, but that's what makes it so rewarding when something does click.

Absolutely HC,

The folks in this forum anyways don't usually engage in passive bragging. Instead, we are sharing our enthusiasm for vintage equipment with each other, and encouraging each other (and new readers) with our own stories of success.

That was just some well-intentioned needling for Randy - but as we know, sometimes writing doesn't always convey the tone in which the comments were meant.

BZ Randy.

4W - Ping Anser TFC S

3H - Ping Anser TFC S

Srixon Z-Star - Yellow
10.7 Hdcp (CPGA) 

As a side note to yesterday's round and the three I have been able to play this time home. I am searching out courses that are not so wide open, or bomb and hope style. Some with curves as shapely as Norma Jean, the ones where strategic placement offers rewards of the highest magnitude. Where if the shot is pulled off a feeling of giddiness akin to a schoolboys first kiss causes the body, and the soul, to experience bliss.

Ah yes. The passive brag. Guilty as charged. Hard to let people know how well you have played whilst maintaining some humility, but at least we avoid the constant reference to 300 yard four irons, belittling of swing theories and the like.

"I tried ur stack n tilt at the range last nite. It wuz rubbish! Only hitting 7 iron 180 LOL!!!!"

And so on.

Agreed on some thought into courses and the game. When still playing a bit, I was bored of having two strategies off the tee - hard or harder. Much more fun with persimmons from shorter tees.

[quote name='oldschoolrocker' timestamp='1399130168' post='9224009']
As a side note to yesterday's round and the three I have been able to play this time home. I am searching out courses that are not so wide open, or bomb and hope style. Some with curves as shapely as Norma Jean, the ones where strategic placement offers rewards of the highest magnitude. Where if the shot is pulled off a feeling of giddiness akin to a schoolboys first kiss causes the body, and the soul, to experience bliss.
[/quote]

Well Randy,

Ahhh....I do have a few courses nearby that I like to play, both of which were laid out before toasters on a stick, and both of which were cut into well treed areas.

My partner calls these "target golf" and it's true....hitting a blind 175yd shot onto a narrow tree lined fairway, then 120 into the green is much different than bomb and gouge. They're not especially long, but I prefer these courses to big wide-open links ones.

4W - Ping Anser TFC S

3H - Ping Anser TFC S

Srixon Z-Star - Yellow
10.7 Hdcp (CPGA)