2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Rounds with a Vintage Bag

Nomad,

Can't handle the "winter" along the SC coast. You sir, are spoiled. Lol.

It got down to 8C the other night and half the Queensland population suffered hypothermia. Where I spent half of my life 8C would be considered a heat wave.

Current Bag:

TM R7 425 driver 11.5

Cleveland Launcher #4 wood

Cobra King Hyper Steel #7 wood

BB Heavenwood # 9 wood

Titlelst DCI Black O/S irons 7 8 9 W SW, Lovett chipper

McGregor putter

Titleist Tour Soft balls

Well played vintage today and got a dose of reality on the back side. Played from the mid tees at 6200 yards at sea level. Had the FCs in the bag. Played the front side good shot +1 (37) Got tired popping those old Pro - Pel 2s on the back shot a 42 (+6) on the back. Was having trouble getting the mid irons and long irons up enough to carry some greens. Now the surprise was I never missed a fairway with the diver today and hit the old 3 wood real good. Used my Cleveland 8802 style putter and putted decent with it nothing spectacular. I was getting tired on the back and forcing myself with the old heavy stiff shafted irons got off my tempo trying to force the issue. I guess the old FCs will be used on 9 hole late afternoon walking rounds. I guess I am getting too old to play them for more than 18 holes. I really do not want to reshaft for sentimental reasons. I am probably going to soft tip the Muirfields and play them vintage or just play my VIPs with persimmon woods. As good as I hit the driver and 3 wood all day I could have really scored better especially on the back if I had my soft shafted VIPs in the bag. I did play #18 which is one of the best holes there great. That hole is not long but tough short par 4 going to water. I have to usually lay up there with the moderns and hit either 5 wood or 2 iron. Today I hit the persimmon driver right into position alpha. Normally from there it is a PW for me but I hit the 9 iron dead center of the green left me a tricky 15 footer for birdie. Just slid the putt by on the high side. had to muster all of my inner strength to play that hole. But it got me to thinking as good as I hit that 3 wood I may pull the 3 iron from my regular gamer set and put that old 3 wood in. highlight of the day was a chip in on a Par 3 on the front side. I did an old school bump and run with the 7 iron for a birdie. That was my old man's stock shot and these were his clubs. I looked up and shouted SEE! you aint the only one who could do that with that club!!!! Even though the back side sucked score wise the Wife and myself had a good time. My wife has rode around and played with me enough to know when I get tired. She knew it . I was kinda let down because I knew the facts I am too old to hit those stiff heavy shafts for 18 holes any more but still a good day overall

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W--- TM V-Steel TMR7 REAX 55g R

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

5 Hybrid-- Cobra Baffler DWS NVS 60A High Launch

Irons 5 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Rusty 1997 Scottie Santa Fe-- Fluted Bulls Eye Shaft

Nice front side Stu !

Played my 10 stick vintage bag yest from the middle tees (6200 yds). Was horrible on the weekend shooting 85 with 14 modern clubs

in a small change Nassau, so I was longing to go back to my classic gear !

There is something to the placebo effect as I carded 4 birds, just missed a fifth on 18 from eight feet and settled for a 77. (real sloppy double

on 10 along with a couple weak chips prevented an even better score)

Used my Mac MT driver was solid off the tee, along with my always reliable Hogan SS 4 wood, 77 Staff blades and '59 bullseye flange putter.

Trying to settle on the number of clubs (between 8-10) Im going to use for the remainder of the season as it is winding down quickly...

It was so peaceful, had a nice easy pace about my walk and just tried to enjoy ea shot for what it was worth.

England. Eight degrees and no drizzle would have the locals pointing at the sky terrified of the huge ball of fire which has appeared through the clouds. People would end up being burned at the stake.

Ah so that's what those black smudges were around the perimeter of the St Andrews old town. I was in Hampshire for a winter once and never spotted that ball of fire you're referring to - sounds heretical to me.

Current Bag:

TM R7 425 driver 11.5

Cleveland Launcher #4 wood

Cobra King Hyper Steel #7 wood

BB Heavenwood # 9 wood

Titlelst DCI Black O/S irons 7 8 9 W SW, Lovett chipper

McGregor putter

Titleist Tour Soft balls

Nice front side Stu !

Played my 10 stick vintage bag yest from the middle tees (6200 yds). Was horrible on the weekend shooting 85 with 14 modern clubs

in a small change Nassau, so I was longing to go back to my classic gear !

There is something to the placebo effect as I carded 4 birds, just missed a fifth on 18 from eight feet and settled for a 77. (real sloppy double

on 10 along with a couple weak chips prevented an even better score)

Used my Mac MT driver was solid off the tee, along with my always reliable Hogan SS 4 wood, 77 Staff blades and '59 bullseye flange putter.

Trying to settle on the number of clubs (between 8-10) Im going to use for the remainder of the season as it is winding down quickly...

It was so peaceful, had a nice easy pace about my walk and just tried to enjoy ea shot for what it was worth.

Love that bag headcovers and whole set up even if the irons are bassackwards for me to hit

BZ Stu,

Sounds like you had a great time, and that's more than pretty darn respectable on the score.

I have a few odd clubs with the ceramic face. Love the way they look behind the ball, and it may be my wistful imagination, but, I swear I think the ball feels better coming off the face.

Also, I have neglected to tell you, a big BZ on your body makeover. That's not an easy task at any age, but at ours it is huge, especially when you're an early risers like us, and maintaining a connection in the workforce.

Enjoy the cooling tempatures of fall.

Playing in a seniors tourament up at Santee this morning Stu. I was going to throw a modern tee club and a hybrid in the bag with the old Staffs. I've missed the last three due to my new job, and I wanted to give myself a bit of an edge, but, after reading your post I have decided to remain true to how I started this season in play with this group, either wood and blades, or hickories, and will bag the Mac woods.

I may just hit 2 iron off every tee except the 3 pars. That has worked really well from the senior tees so far.

Good Luck today Randy-- I still can move the persimmon ok or at least I was yesterday hitting the driver about 225/230 or so. The big surprise was the 3 wood I could really crank it. Was playing at Founders in PI. From the senior tees I could still get into trouble there on some holes as well as I was hitting the persimmon. Had all intentions of playing the senior tees until #1 and #2 when I cranked the old Penna. No real trouble on those two holes but I realized what lay ahead so I stepped back 1 box. I also had my old 985 1 iron in the bag and hit it a couple of times and hit it well not as good as that Hogan 2 iron I usually carry but ok. Of course I have a S-300 High launch in it the same as my VIPs Really I wanted to hit the driver quite a bit so that is also why I stepped back.

I have been in some games there from the senior tees and with my modern driver I can really get into trouble as far as driving into hazards etc straight down the pike. The last time I got in a game there from the senior tees I ended up hitting 2 iron or 5 wood a lot.

Well it was a very strange round of golf. I haven't played the course in a few years, and I remember playing it pretty good, but that was from a different set of tees. The senior tees are not always the ones we should be playing from.

That was bad enough, but, as if by magic, I picked up about a club and a half carry distance with the Buttonbacks, and an extra 15-20 yards with the woods today.

Through the fairway on one, with the driver, in jail.

80 yards to the pin on two, licking my chops as I pull the old 56 degree dynapowered out, and proceed to fly it about an even hundred and over the green.

Like that all day, couldn't pull a club. 250 to a water hazard off the tee on a par five. Okay, no way I can get the 3 wood there. Wrong answer. Lands about 230 and change, then rolls in the drink.

And i couldn't buy a putt. Green speed so different than what I've been playing on. Three, yes three, 4 putts.

Ended up with 9 greens in regulation and couldn't post in the 80's.

But, I figure if I can keep striping the ball like this, I can make the adjustments.

Shoulda, coulda, woulda...

Yeah, it was like the clock turned back about 20 years and the ball was just exploding off the clubface. I do a ritualistic pre round stretching routine and I knew something was up when I hit positions in the stretches that were way beyond what I have grown accustomed to,

The swing was very efficient, and I knew right away on the backswing that the club would be coming in shallow and in the slot on the downswing.

Played Saturday with my "Classic Set-Up." 85 Mizi blades with more modern TaylorMade Woods (R80 Driver and Bubble shafted Firesole 3 & 5.) Tried out the early Scotty Bullseye LaFemme and loved it! first 3 holes dropped a 15 footer, 18 footer, and 20 footer. I kid you not. Really only badly missed 2 putts all day. Outside of that I dropped the first one or left it close. Ya, that putter won't be leaving the bag anytime soon if ever. :D

On a side note I am taking myself down to 3 playing sets. The Vintage 60 Staffs, Classic 85 Mizis, and a Modern set (Well, as modern as I get) of graphite shafted cavity back Mitsushiba irons and woods (Ping driver, Titleist 3 wood, Cleveland 5 wood) that are no more than 10 years old.

All Forged, all the time.
The Sets that see regular playing time...
67 Spalding Top-Flite Professional, Cleveland Classic Persimmon Driver, 3 & 4 Spalding Top-Flite Persimmon Woods, TPM Putter.
71 Wilson Staff Button Backs, Wilson System 3000 Persimmon Driver, 3 & 5 Woods, Wilson Sam Snead Pay-Off Putter.
95 Snake Eyes S&W Forged, Snake Eyes 600T Driver, Viper MS 18* & 21* Woods, 252 & 258 Vokeys, Golfsmith Zero Friction Putter.
2015 Wilson Staff FG Tour F5, TaylorMade Superfast Driver, 16.5* Fairway, & 21* Hybrid, Harmonized SW & LW, Tour Edge Feel2 Putter.

Always easy for me to post a decent round but I thought why not share a bit of a real lousy one ??

Went out Sunday at sunrise with 4w, 3i, 5i, 7i, 9i, pw 55 & my '59 flange bullseye...what a humbling day !

Popped up my tee ball maybe 100 yds (I think I heard the ground wince) had 290 left knew I was in for one of those days.

Thought I would just get it to a wedge using a 5i, got it on and proceeded to 3 putt from 20 ft-nice start. 6-6-5-6 opening tested

my patience as the vintage sticks were feeling like sledge hammers and I may as well have been putting with a hockey stick.

Flubbed pitches, missed 3 footers and a bevy of ug-a-leee tee balls left me standing on 10 with a nifty

44 in my back pocket. This coming off a couple solid ball striking rounds previously in the week.

So instead of getting pissed, I just tried to really enjoy the beautiful early fall morning & realize

that I can still get something out of a vintage session-some exercise from a peaceful walk in

the woods that will be covered in three ft of snow in a couple months !!! For all my fellow northern vintage hackers,

enjoy what time is left cause old man winter is starting to slowly toss and turn...

Well put golfnut! Whenever I venture down that dark hole of poor play I always remind myself that I'm actually out on the course playing, getting some exercise and enjoying the surroundings in peace. I've had enough physical issues to contend with this year that the alternative would have most likely been sitting at home in a chair by myself!

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

Played Furness Golf Club in Cumbria, England today. Furness has the distinction of being the 6th oldest Course in England and is part of the town of Barrow-in Furness. Our submariner friends might know Barrow as the home and genesis of our nuclear fleet.

Played with a set of Harry Minter's (well known Pro who only played new clubs :D ) version of 1967/8 Dynapowers, two fairway custom Macs with SO numbers, an old Wilson 8812 style putter and a Srixon XX10 driver from 2000 or so. Fine weather, stiff breeze, gret seaside views and a 77 to top it off. Well chuffed!!

Even chewier than Barrow-in-Furness bus station!

Also home to a girl who once inexplicably sh@t in my heart. Was punching way above my weight. Guys would try and chat her up in bars when I was standing right bloody next to her, like I wasn't there. Nuts.

Enjoyed the post nonetheless as I will now be spending the rest of the day trying to find an opportunity to use an "egress manoeuvre" of my own. Maybe in the office, maybe on the train, but definitely not with pretty girls from Barrow-in-f$&%ing-Furness.

And an excellent strategic location for a vessel wishing to perform an egress maneuver from port, or a shipbuilding facility that can be defended from attack by sea.

Akin to our Electric Boat in New London Connecticut.

Well played Sir.

Maybe the offshore wind turbines help to disguise/ hide signatures as well as providing a bit of juice for the randy residents of Barrow.

First flutter of the year with hickory this afternoon, only had time for 5 holes and that was more than enough, true Army marching from tee to green, and pure guesswork from there after, but all in all good entertainment.

Had bought quite a few hickories since I last played, the driver i had slapped (literally) a load of lead tape on the back to give it a higher swingweight, actually struck it very well but my ball was playing hide and seek with the fairway, mainly heading in a big hook.

Did hole a tasty 40 footer for a par on the 3rd and,followed it up with a big biff with my bulldog down the 4th which outdrove my 2 playing partners by 20 yards, put a smile on my face and obviously I rubbed their noses in it.... :) sadly followed it up blowing it way right of the green in the cabbage....

It wont be their last outing for sure......

A9B59E1D-6DFC-4E85-82B2-36D3E01B35AA_zpskajyqc84.jpg

First flutter of the year with hickory this afternoon, only had time for 5 holes and that was more than enough, true Army marching from tee to green, and pure guesswork from there after, but all in all good entertainment.

Had bought quite a few hickories since I last played, the driver i had slapped (literally) a load of lead tape on the back to give it a higher swingweight, actually struck it very well but my ball was playing hide and seek with the fairway, mainly heading in a big hook.

Did hole a tasty 40 footer for a par on the 3rd and,followed it up with a big biff with my bulldog down the 4th which outdrove my 2 playing partners by 20 yards, put a smile on my face and obviously I rubbed their noses in it.... :) sadly followed it up blowing it way right of the green in the cabbage....

It wont be their last outing for sure......

A9B59E1D-6DFC-4E85-82B2-36D3E01B35AA_zpskajyqc84.jpg

Very nice pic

Well we had our last club Order of Merit event today ... this has been a series of 10 events stretching back to last April, and including the Club Championship, and assorted other Cups and trophies along the way.

The golfing gods have smiled on this particular classic hack, in that while not winning any individual event, I managed to accumulate enough points throughout the series to finish on top of the pile, when all the counting was done at about 5pm today. Feeling quite chuffed,as >200 golfers tee'd it up at some point or other during the series ...

In 8 of the 10 events, I had persimmon fairway woods in the bag; today I had early 80s Ben Sayers Mentor blades in there, and the putter for the season has been a Ram Zebra, which has compensated for some indifferent ball-striking since early July :)

Amusingly I scored zero points in the events where the persimmon stayed at home :)

[i]"Don't play too much golf ... two rounds a day are plenty" [/i]

[b]Harry Vardon[/b] (1870-1937)

Bravo. Actually, Bravo just for going in to bat with real lumber throughout the season. Winning is a nice bonus though.

What h/c cut for the guy who beats his mates over a season wielding antiques? Those sayers are bloody nice too!

Cheers Andrew !

[i]"Don't play too much golf ... two rounds a day are plenty" [/i]

[b]Harry Vardon[/b] (1870-1937)