2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Rounds with a Vintage Bag

On the 4th of July I shot +1 for nine holes with my vintage short set Sunday bag. The folks I played with couldn't believe it. It's not the arrows it's the Indian! This bag consists of the oldest clubs I've played with to date: late 40s MacGregor Tourney Tommy Armour woods, early 50s Spalding Top Flites and Bullseye putter. Good times!

Stirling stuff ! like the retro bag too

Current Bag:

TM R7 425 driver 11.5

Cleveland Launcher #4 wood

Cobra King Hyper Steel #7 wood

BB Heavenwood # 9 wood

Titlelst DCI Black O/S irons 7 8 9 W SW, Lovett chipper

McGregor putter

Titleist Tour Soft balls

On the 4th of July I shot +1 for nine holes with my vintage short set Sunday bag. The folks I played with couldn't believe it. It's not the arrows it's the Indian! This bag consists of the oldest clubs I've played with to date: late 40s MacGregor Tourney Tommy Armour woods, early 50s Spalding Top Flites and Bullseye putter. Good times!

Stirling stuff ! like the retro bag too

As do I. Kind of makes me wish that I had something a bit more period specific in which to lug around my vintage kit.

Also makes me wish that I had picked up a part set of Spalding Robert T. Jones irons last summer with pyratone shafts, but I can't play everything I own now so it would just have been more fuel for the fire...

[Added] As an aside, there is this quiz floating around on Facebook saying that only 1 in 237 people can identify these golfers by just one photo. Got them all as I would expect most of you too as well. It wasn't even that difficult. I guess there is some merit in sleuthing the annuls of golf history! :lol:

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

Played the Redlines again today, with modern woods, shot an 86 which included an 11 over par stretch during 3 holes (don't ask). Love how accurate the clubs are on both distance and aim, I'm seriously considering gaming at least 6-E for the club championship coming up in a few weeks, but am I allowed to with all of the stupid regulations for older clubs? As I interpret the rules, until 2024 I can play whatever I want?

Unless they enforce the groove rule you're good to go. It's really only an issue at larger am events.

Driver, 3W, 4W - Macgregor Custom Tourney
2-10 - 1954 Spalding Synchro Dyned
SW - Wilson Staff
Putter - Bullseye
Ball - Pro Plus

YT Channel - [url="https://www.youtube.com/PlayVintageGolf"]https://www.youtube....PlayVintageGolf[/url]

Another plus - My wife's game continues to improve and I may be able to introduce her to vintage play by this time next year. The trick there may be finding a cheap ladies left handed vintage set worth restoring.

I may have seen one at a local thrift. Next time I am there, I will investigate for you.

Will a senior flex classic set be okay in left handed? I see those all the time. I have never came across a women's lefty.

Another plus - My wife's game continues to improve and I may be able to introduce her to vintage play by this time next year. The trick there may be finding a cheap ladies left handed vintage set worth restoring.

I may have seen one at a local thrift. Next time I am there, I will investigate for you.

Will a senior flex classic set be okay in left handed? I see those all the time. I have never came across a women's lefty.

Possibly if it was on the lighter flex side. I will be keeping my eyes out as well and I'm in no hurry. She's not ready for it yet anyway but thanks for your consideration.

All Forged, all the time.
The Sets that see regular playing time...
67 Spalding Top-Flite Professional, Cleveland Classic Persimmon Driver, 3 & 4 Spalding Top-Flite Persimmon Woods, TPM Putter.
71 Wilson Staff Button Backs, Wilson System 3000 Persimmon Driver, 3 & 5 Woods, Wilson Sam Snead Pay-Off Putter.
95 Snake Eyes S&W Forged, Snake Eyes 600T Driver, Viper MS 18* & 21* Woods, 252 & 258 Vokeys, Golfsmith Zero Friction Putter.
2015 Wilson Staff FG Tour F5, TaylorMade Superfast Driver, 16.5* Fairway, & 21* Hybrid, Harmonized SW & LW, Tour Edge Feel2 Putter.

Shortly moving to another area (temporarily) which is known in the local jargon as "Thrift shop city". These are warehouse sized places. I promised my wife I wouldn't go near the place - I lied. Having been there once before and only partially covered all the places, I am imagining barrel upon barrel of pre-loved clubs of all makes and models, bags with Hogan and MacGregor logos, Persimmon woods, Hogan irons, jewels in a golfers Alladin's cave. I may never return to normal society.

Current Bag:

TM R7 425 driver 11.5

BB Heavenwood # 9 wood

McGregor putter

Titleist Tour Soft balls

Congratulations on your new, if temporary, location Nomand. And, as we said when we opened the barn door to let the fish swim.

HAPPY HUNTING!!!

And if my wife ever finds out, my new permanent location will be down at the local Salvo's shelter for the homeless :(

Current Bag:

TM R7 425 driver 11.5

BB Heavenwood # 9 wood

McGregor putter

Titleist Tour Soft balls

Shortly moving to another area (temporarily) which is known in the local jargon as "Thrift shop city". These are warehouse sized places. I promised my wife I wouldn't go near the place - I lied. Having been there once before and only partially covered all the places, I am imagining barrel upon barrel of pre-loved clubs of all makes and models, bags with Hogan and MacGregor logos, Persimmon woods, Hogan irons, jewels in a golfers Alladin's cave. I may never return to normal society.

Just like a kid in a candy store!

CHASING CLASSIC CLUBS

You remember that old Disney cartoon where Scrooge McDuck dives into a pool filled with gold coins? I wonder if Scrooge was ever married and divorced.

Current Bag:

TM R7 425 driver 11.5

BB Heavenwood # 9 wood

McGregor putter

Titleist Tour Soft balls

You remember that old Disney cartoon where Scrooge McDuck dives into a pool filled with gold coins? I wonder if Scrooge was ever married and divorced.

There is no gold in the divorce pool!

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

Maybe he married a wealthy, older woman who didn't make him sign a pre-nup and she passed soon thereafter...

CHASING CLASSIC CLUBS

Never found any Hogans I've got on with, but can't deny that PC5s and those are nice looking irons. You'd be a fool. I just hit Macs and Wilsons better.

Popping out for the odd seven, eight or nine holes, whatever I can grab. Going through a weird phase of using mixed up bags of all sorts of stuff. Generally, Macs and Wilsons, yes, Ray Cook putters sneaking in.

Not hitting it too badly, considering. Bad shot is a bit of a pull, nothing too destructive. Even hitting my wedges nicely which is unusual.

The treasure hunt begins. The first recycle place I visited was lightly patronized but I noticed a shady looking character (perhaps a PI) lurking with a camera you wouldn't buy in a place like this, so I knew to be quick. Two vintage clubs stood out and I grabbed them without too much scrutiny and paid over my $4 and scooted out of there. Nobody followed me home.

The first club was a Nicklaus Golden Bear mk.111 #4 wood in showroom condition, this will replace my current #4 wood in the classic bag.

Second club was very interesting because I've not seen one before, a Spalding Executive #7 wood in well used condition. I was looking for a 7 wood to replace my hybrid in the regular bag and this additional one will fit nicely into my classic bag. Tomorrow is "big" thrifty day and I'll be rocking up with shades and false moustache.......continued. Today I visited one of the big warehouses, a black SUV with a young mother, two kids and a big German Shepherd pulled up in the park next to me - sign on the door gave them away "ACME Cleaning Services" who do they think they're kidding - Charlie Coyote? beep beep. A quick recce showed several old bags of clubs, and the only two clubs I really really wanted, a JN Golden Bear #3 and #5 were LEFTIES aaaaargh. Tomorrow is last chance day, a large place with an upstairs gallery, wish me luck......Still problems with this website, can't edit things like signature and other stuff,formatting is all to hell. HELP !

Current Bag:

TM R7 425 driver 11.5

BB Heavenwood # 9 wood

McGregor putter

Titleist Tour Soft balls

Is there a problem with the golfWRX website? can't access settings, content, can't add photos to posts, or delete posts. accessing nickname only goes to "profile" and nothing else.update: still weird, clicking on notifications takes me to settings, still can't access my content from nick but I can now add photos to existing posts. The only way I can edit some things is to modify the html

Current Bag:

TM R7 425 driver 11.5

BB Heavenwood # 9 wood

McGregor putter

Titleist Tour Soft balls

Last forage (scrounge)today. For a large collection there wasn't a lot on offer but I did pick up a pair of matching MacGregor headcovers for my classic bag. Saw a #7 metal wood but it was an odd brand that I hadn't heard of and they wanted too much for it anyway so it stayed behind. The m/cycle behind the bag is a restored 1930's BSA

Current Bag:

TM R7 425 driver 11.5

BB Heavenwood # 9 wood

McGregor putter

Titleist Tour Soft balls

Extremely sweet BSA mate! It's a shame that it's blocked out by the golf bag... :blush:

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

Extremely sweet BSA mate! It's a shame that it's blocked out by the golf bag... :blush:

I'll do another pic or two seeing it's you scomac. Sorry about the quality, light inside garage not good.

Current Bag:

TM R7 425 driver 11.5

BB Heavenwood # 9 wood

McGregor putter

Titleist Tour Soft balls

The website has returned to normal - most strange.

I added a couple of pics for you above scomac....I took the 2 recent acquisitions to the range today (grass tees) and gave them a hit. The #4 was sweet as, nice feel nice sound, went about 170m straight. The #7 was a little shorter and a lot higher. Pleased with both

Current Bag:

TM R7 425 driver 11.5

BB Heavenwood # 9 wood

McGregor putter

Titleist Tour Soft balls

Dayum, that is one sweet ride, Nomad! :good:

Co-incidentally, I also went to the range today with a short bag of vintage sticks consisting of PowerBilt Citation 2W & 4W, 3, 5, 7, 9 Golden Ram Axial Tour Grinds, a RAM TW sand iron and Ping Zing putter. Had a blast working on a few different shots in the short game area. Decided to play the short set tomorrow in my men's league tilt. I'm sure the peanut gallery will have lots to say. Much potential for trash talking should I put together a good round! :victory:

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

Co-incidentally, I also went to the range today with a short bag of vintage sticks consisting of PowerBilt Citation 2W & 4W, 3, 5, 7, 9 Golden Ram Axial Tour Grinds, a RAM TW sand iron and Ping Zing putter. Had a blast working on a few different shots in the short game area. Decided to play the short set tomorrow in my men's league tilt. I'm sure the peanut gallery will have lots to say. Much potential for trash talking should I put together a good round! :victory:

Go the oldies ! love them 19th hole bragging rights.

Current Bag:

TM R7 425 driver 11.5

BB Heavenwood # 9 wood

McGregor putter

Titleist Tour Soft balls

Is that a Nassau Bag? It looks similar to one I have.

It's some goofy old bag and the bottom rotted off but rather than donate it to the landfill I have it patched. Not a Nassau brand unless that's what you call that oval, Sunday bag style.

Well I did, play them that is. There was no potential for gloating afterwards however. The first two holes were a big test of my resolve as I rinsed my tee shot on one and then followed it up on two with an exercise in tilling the tee box! And yes, there were plenty of spectators to witness the spectacle as play was inordinately slow today. :blush:

If water was in play I had an uncanny ability to find it resulting in a total of five penalty strokes! You can see where this is going. Still, yesterday's practice paid some dividends as I was chipping it close and making some putts. The end result was a ho hum score rather than an embarrassment. Having said that, I did have some memorable shots; a couple of really nice 3 irons, a stiffed 9 iron to 2 feet and a drive with my brassie that ran out of dry ground at about 225 yards or so as it trickled into a pond by a couple of inches. That drive resulted in a par with a penalty stroke which I can't remember ever having accomplished before.

All in all, I was pleased with my game. Having said that, it seems to be a bit of a pointless exercise to play vintage when posting scores for handicapping if it isn't a specifically vintage league. I'm thinking that with practice I can probably match my scoring potential, but that requires quite a bit more than the casual round sprinkled in here or there. Still, it seems to be liberating playing a short bag where club selection becomes more or less automatic versus lugging around a full set. There wasn't one situation today where I felt like I was short changed on club selection options. It really makes one wonder how the heck we ever got ourselves talked into the necessity of carrying 14 clubs!

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

Well I did, play them that is. There was no potential for gloating afterwards however. The first two holes were a big test of my resolve as I rinsed my tee shot on one and then followed it up on two with an exercise in tilling the tee box! And yes, there were plenty of spectators to witness the spectacle as play was inordinately slow today. :blush:

If water was in play I had an uncanny ability to find it resulting in a total of five penalty strokes! You can see where this is going. Still, yesterday's practice paid some dividends as I was chipping it close and making some putts. The end result was a ho hum score rather than an embarrassment. Having said that, I did have some memorable shots; a couple of really nice 3 irons, a stiffed 9 iron to 2 feet and a drive with my brassie that ran out of dry ground at about 225 yards or so as it trickled into a pond by a couple of inches. That drive resulted in a par with a penalty stroke which I can't remember ever having accomplished before.

All in all, I was pleased with my game. Having said that, it seems to be a bit of a pointless exercise to play vintage when posting scores for handicapping if it isn't a specifically vintage league. I'm thinking that with practice I can probably match my scoring potential, but that requires quite a bit more than the casual round sprinkled in here or there. Still, it seems to be liberating playing a short bag where club selection becomes more or less automatic versus lugging around a full set. There wasn't one situation today where I felt like I was short changed on club selection options. It really makes one wonder how the heck we ever got ourselves talked into the necessity of carrying 14 clubs!

Agreed, apples with apples. What scares me about vintage games is the blokes who can hit a hickory wood further than my regular driver so I tend to avoid them!. I'll probably take some classic clubs to New Zealand for Christmas, going to play some of the small Christchurch courses like Waimairi Beach, Kaiapoi, some up on the hills of Banks Peninsula, Avondale links, Akaroa and one of the easiest links courses in NZ, Rawhiti muni. As long as I can stay away from the thriftys, I'll be safe.

Current Bag:

TM R7 425 driver 11.5

BB Heavenwood # 9 wood

McGregor putter

Titleist Tour Soft balls

A quick nine today, brought out my refinished Apex -73 set, and what a joy that was! I think I like them even better then the Redlines, it felt like they had more "oumph", although it might have been because I was striking it so nice today.

Stiff 2 club wind, shot +7, with a triple at the ninth, where after a wonderful drive into the teeth I hooked the second into water. Too bad, a par would have tied my best nine with an all vintage bag.

For a few holes I gamed an old Maxfli Balata ball I found, and wow, it was even better than I remembered, that feeling when hitting in the sweetspot brought a huge smile.

Next weekend I'm doing a day-trip to play a "Retro golf" competition with 84(!!) entered, only requirement is clubs from before -85, and that the woods need to be wooden. I will take pictures and report back here!

SjQE1n1.jpg

A quick nine today, brought out my refinished Apex -73 set, and what a joy that was! I think I like them even better then the Redlines, it felt like they had more "oumph", although it might have been because I was striking it so nice today.

Stiff 2 club wind, shot +7, with a triple at the ninth, where after a wonderful drive into the teeth I hooked the second into water. Too bad, a par would have tied my best nine with an all vintage bag.

For a few holes I gamed an old Maxfli Balata ball I found, and wow, it was even better than I remembered, that feeling when hitting in the sweetspot brought a huge smile.

Next weekend I'm doing a day-trip to play a "Retro golf" competition with 84(!!) entered, only requirement is clubs from before -85, and that the woods need to be wooden. I will take pictures and report back here!

SjQE1n1.jpg

Love the Apex Blades!!!

CHASING CLASSIC CLUBS

Just one vintage club: my RAM Gene Littler Pitching Wedge.

For some reason the other day I started practicing with it left handed, turning the club over and hitting wedge shots. After a while they weren't too bad. Sunday, at the home course while waiting for my partner to show up, I practiced pitching and putting left handed again. Turn the club over and pitch, then putt with the back of the club. Results = not too bad.

Even put the ball in some shaggy grass next to a couple of big rocks, and chipped left handed from there. Again, not bad.

On the course yesterday, I need that very shot twice. Once from the side of a tree trunk, and the other as my ball lay next to a building. Saved at least one stroke, possibly two on each shot. I love that wedge!