Rounds with a Vintage Bag

In terms of my enthusiasm for old school and vintage, I've not nothing against "classic" metal woods or cavity back irons. But in terms of creating a level playing field that's simple to understand for a vintage event, I'd go with woods made of wood, shafts made of metal, and bladed irons. Putters are difficult since the classic Ping designs go back so far - so my putter rule would just be "no face inserts".

Most ways of thinking mark 1981 as the cutoff date for strickly blades and persimmon, so the fg-17's can be included. Otherwise no hard and fast rules. Personally, I think any of the iconic clubs, Big Bertha, eye2, zing, 845's would qualify for vintage also. Would open up the gates to allow for more participation.

In terms of my enthusiasm for old school and vintage, I've not nothing against "classic" metal woods or cavity back irons. But in terms of creating a level playing field that's simple to understand for a vintage event, I'd go with woods made of wood, shafts made of metal, and bladed irons. Putters are difficult since the classic Ping designs go back so far - so my putter rule would just be "no face inserts".

Cheers lads. :good:

I'm thinking of using this setup below...

Accuform PTM Persimmon Driver

TaylorMade Pittsburgh Persimmon 16 degree Cleek

Cobra Phil Rodgers Blades 2-PW

Ping Eye 2 SW and LW

Acushnet Bullseye Putter (FlangeOffset)

It was my company's golf day today, as employees aren't encouraged to do well and win the prizes I thought it would be an ideal event to take a vintage set out, only to discover when I go there that there was a team prize as well, cue some funny looks from my playing partners.

The course was Aston Wood near Birmingham so I looked to make up a set of clubs made in that area and went for:

• Harold Bird & Son Max Faulkner Avenger blades, 3 to W (their factory was located in Aldridge, less than 5 miles form the course)
  • Dunlop Peter Thomson sand wedge as I'm missing the sand wedge from the Faulkner set
  • Harold Bird & Son laminated 1 and 3 woods
  • Browning 440 1 wood in case I was having difficulty getting the HB&S off the tee
  • Uniroyal Arnold Palmer 4 wood as I didn't have an HB&S 4 wood
  • Petron Impala putter (I've got a feeling that Petron were based in Birmingham but am not sure)

I had a strange round with quite a lot of 3 pointers mixed with quite a few blobs for 31 individual Stableford score but we came first in the team event on count back, which was a result.

Nicest surprise was the putter, although it's a real budget job I had a good day on the greens apart from one putt where one of my playing partners' ball was on the green, 3 feet to the right of the hole, I was some way away for my putt and it shouldn't have interfered but the seed was in my mind and I blocked my putt straight at it for a two shot penalty....

Tomorrow I'm playing at Hankley Common for the first time in a Golf Monthly Forum charity event in aid of Help for Heroes.

https://www.hankley.co.uk/course_guide

I'll using a set of Ben Sayers Silver Crest blades and laminated woods and a John Letters Golden Goose putter, all of which I will be seeing for the first time tomorrow morning as I won them on ebay last week and asked a guy living local to the seller to collect them and bring them along with him.

There'll be just under a hundred people there and it's one of the forum highlights of the year, weather forecast is breezy with the odd shower, should be a cracking day!

It's not all about the score.

https://www.youtube.com/c/ClassicGolfClubs

It's what you make of it, Shotts. I have a set of Eye 2 clones that I play with Big Bertha Warbirds and consider those clubs to be a vintage set. The irons are mid '80's and the woods are from '94. Obviously the PB Citations and GR Axials that I have pictured above are older, sort of. Heck, the set I started out playing at the beginning of the year is hardly new consisting of Hogan Apex Plus from '98!

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

The irons are the LB-708 cavity back model which I think dates them back to the mid-late 90's.

Heads have a bit of wear and tear, I cleaned them with a fine wire wool soap pad and they came up alright, I don't want them looking like brand new. Grips are Lamkin Crossline and the shafts are Super Lite Titanium Carbon 'cavity special' High Trajectory Club R-1 and not sure of the flex (R-1 on the shaft and large S on the label near the grip). Looking forward to trying them out.

For future reference on Honma shafts:

So the good news is that your iron set have your preferred Regular shafts in them :)

LB-708 specs:

Thanks for that info BJ, I have snipped the charts and put in golf folder. I now know specs of my R-1 LB-708 irons

Current Bag:

TM R7 425 driver 11.5

Cleveland Launcher #4 wood

Cobra King Hyper Steel #7 wood

BB Heavenwood # 9 wood

Titlelst DCI Black O/S irons 7 8 9 W SW, Lovett chipper

McGregor putter

Titleist Tour Soft balls

Thanks for that info BJ, I have snipped the charts and put in golf folder. I now know specs of my R-1 LB-708 irons

Just noticed that you are on Bribie Island ... I spent Xmas there in 1993, including playing cricket on the beach while wearing reindeer antlers :)

Looking at a map, I think we were renting the house on the corner of Fourth Ave and Rickman Parade ... on the right as you face the sea ... small world huh !

[i]"Don't play too much golf ... two rounds a day are plenty" [/i]

[b]Harry Vardon[/b] (1870-1937)

Thought I'd share a pic of my collection of older/classic irons. I think they're all sweet looking as well as playable, even for this high HCer. Thanks to dcopp7 for the newest Haigs.

Very nice collection! I would be hard pressed to choose.

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

Just back from a great day at Hankley Common GC.

As mentioned above I was being delivered a set of Ben Sayers Silver Crest clubs that one of the guys had picked up for me after I won them on ebay.

The irons looked great (see UK Classic Clubs thread for pictures) but the woods were typical laminated budget material and nothing special, luckily I'd brought a Uniroyal Arnold Palmer 4 wood with me which served well for a tee club as driver is not required too often with all the heather.

I also swapped the putter out and replaced with the Petron Impala I played with yesterday.

The course was stunning, it covers a big area and has some great views, weather wise it was pretty windy and so the heather came into play frequently.

Really pleased with the irons, apart from my first hit with them where I bladed a PW over the green..... After that though I hit some good shots and I was particularly pleased with how they held a line into the wind, I scored 27 points Stableford which I was pretty happy with, especially considering the number of shots wasted by my terrible short game.

By the end of the round I was much more comfortable with the irons than at the start, as exemplified by my closing shot using the guilty pitching wedge from my first shot.

We were playing a shotgun start and our final hole was the short par 3 second, which was also the nearest the pin hole, Brian in the group in front had just put one close to take the lead and must have been feeling hopeful with only one group to go but I hit a peach of a shot to 18 inches to get inside his and take the prize. Unfortunate for Brian who was watching from the next tee....

This is an annual event organised by a few guys on the Golf Monthly forum, I don't know the final figure yet but around £13,000 was raised for H4H, a charity for injured ex forces guys.

It's not all about the score.

https://www.youtube.com/c/ClassicGolfClubs

My vintage club collecting is starting to rub off on my golfing buddies.

Two of them (aged 50) have recently purchased the same irons that they started playing golf with back in their teens.

Our course was having greens maintenance so I talked them into a vintage round at a smaller course an hour away. A par 70, 5,091m (5567yds) 18 holer.

Our handicaps were 6, 7, 5 and 10

I played 1976 Hogan Apex 1-pw, Hogan Radial 1,2,3 woods.

Mate #1 played his 1969 Wilson X-31, 2-PW with my Ping Karsten III 1 wood.

Mate #2 played his 1980's Cobra blades 3-pw with matching woods.

I loaned mate #3 Wilson FG17, 1-PW with Dunlop 1,3,5 woods.

The par 4's ranged from 260m to 320m. (284yds to 350yds) so it seemed ideal for blades and laminates. It was dry and the ball was running.

The Ping karsten III 1 wood was a hit. He drove one green and was a spit away from 2 others.

The mate with my FG17's had never seen a one-iron let alone hit one. He used it for his 2nd shot of the day and absolutely flushed it. He was smiling for 3 holes until he tried to use it again.

What a great day. We all only played a few shots over our handicaps, on a course we'd never played before.

First comment after we'd finished was "when's the next vintage day?"

How good is golf.

Just noticed that you are on Bribie Island ... I spent Xmas there in 1993, including playing cricket on the beach while wearing reindeer antlers :)

Looking at a map, I think we were renting the house on the corner of Fourth Ave and Rickman Parade ... on the right as you face the sea ... small world huh !

It's changed a lot since 1993, in my opinion too many people here now and they are still building, but, having said that, it's still better than down south where we lived on the Gold Coast. I know the address you mention and I'll get a photo next time there.

As regards your manner of cricket attire on the beach, I can only imagine that you had not long left the local RSL. Cheers

Current Bag:

TM R7 425 driver 11.5

BB Heavenwood # 9 wood

McGregor putter

Titleist Tour Soft balls

Yah, they're pretty darned sweet! The last three times I've had them out I've smoked the 3 iron, once from the fairway and twice from the tee. I really have to wonder about this constant drone from the masses that you have to play the clubs that are easiest to hit and blades are only for pros. At one time blades were the only choice. I'm still left wondering why is it that I hit these things straighter? The mishits result in a loss of distance, not directional control.

I've got work to do with scoring, but that seems to be more about short game and putting than it is about hitting the ball poorly. It's the exact opposite of my recent experiences with my modern clubs!

I've seen enough to convince me to play these things the rest of the way. I like the idea of being controversial! When I get the short game and putting sorted I expect to shoot the best scores I've had this season and that will be using 30, 40 and 50 year old clubs! What do you think the talking heads will be saying then? I know; they'll say I'm eccentric... :to_become_senile:

Good to read that you experienced some success playing the Axial's (and Citations). They are a very nice set of irons, always seemed to hit them reasonably well, as far as MB's go. Now experiencing seller's remorse from liquidating the not one, but two sets of Axial's that I've had in possession. For no apparent reason other than they were sitting around unused (to many clubs, not enough time) and I applied the "two season" rule. And for financing purposes for whatever other something that I bought with the proceeds.

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

I have the same problem; too many clubs and not enough time to play them all and get familiar with them. If you have a set of blades and persimmon that you are happy with, then I don't see much reason to fret over sold sets.

FWIW, I had a miserable day with the Axials and Citations today. I was topping the woods and conversely catching the irons more than a little heavy. I'm kinda sore right now. Just outa sorts I guess with the timing of my swing. Probably sliding my hips again rather than staying centered over the ball. I was better today on the greens so I ended up with the same score as Monday.

When I got home I went to the basement to retrieve my Hogans and then proceeded to pack up the entire content of my "front line modern bag" into two shipping boxes. The irons and wedges into one and the woods and putter into the other. They are now neatly tucked into the closet until???

In there place, I will game the set-up I ran with all spring. Hopefully some of the magic will return.

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

New day, different shizzle buddy. Always something. Wish the performance success of implement in hand wasn't so fleeting. Such is the matter of things.

The Hogans have also been banished. Have not been able to hit them worth a lick while getting back into the swing of things following the incident. No sense beating myself up (and the embarrassment) trying.

Not really "happy" with anything iron-wise at the moment. But as mentioned elsewhere, will continue to respect the streak and use whatever is offering the most favorable results. Familiarity if for no other reason. Anything that offers some degree of forgiveness while being all over the face with the ball striking.

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

Banished to the closet! Love it!

Might be more than just banished to the closet. I was pricing the set out on the PGA Value Guide website to come up with a price to sell a complete set. It's kind of criminal to think what I have into those clubs that they are only worth about thirty-three cents on the dollar, but that's still a whole lot better than what vintage clubs that aren't collectible are fetching. They're nice clubs and all, but they aren't going to do much for me that any of my other sets can't do. In fact, I sort of proved that to myself this week. The flashiest set of clubs I own will undoubtedly bring the most money if I was looking to get rid of something, just have to keep that on the down low as some wouldn't under stand keeping cheap old clubs ahead of nice newer ones.

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

New day, different shizzle buddy. Always something. Wish the performance success of implement in hand wasn't so fleeting. Such is the matter of things.

The Hogans have also been banished. Have not been able to hit them worth a lick while getting back into the swing of things following the incident. No sense beating myself up (and the embarrassment) trying.

Not really "happy" with anything iron-wise at the moment. But as mentioned elsewhere, will continue to respect the streak and use whatever is offering the most favorable results. Familiarity if for no other reason. Anything that offers some degree of forgiveness while being all over the face with the ball striking.

For me it seems to be all about the long game and the short game. I don't know why I keep trying to find something better than that old TM because nothing ever is! It's like that club is my soul mate. The iron game is less of a concern because I seem to be able to hit a bunch of different iron styles equally well if they're set-up appropriately.

Sorry to hear that you have had to abandon your beloved Hogans. Perhaps they will look upon you more favourably once you're fully healed and recovered. In the mean time a dalliance with something along the line of a Tommy Armour 845 might tick off a few of the boxes. Several guys at our club still play various versions of those and I know that Wriggles is happy with his.

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

Played pretty well with just 3 clubs, shot +4 thru 13 holes with some interesting "putting" and a terribly misjudged 5 iron on a short par 3 that went over the back of the green into the water. It became too dark on the 14.

Mentally kicking myself because I only seem to play reasonably when I don't care at all.

Played pretty well with just 3 clubs, shot +4 thru 13 holes with some interesting "putting" and a terribly misjudged 5 iron on a short par 3 that went over the back of the green into the water. It became too dark on the 14.

Mentally kicking myself because I only seem to play reasonably when I don't care at all.

BH Precisions/Sunbursts!!!

CHASING CLASSIC CLUBS

Seems Aladdin's cave isn't empty yet. This morning I called into a thrift shop to pick up a couple of lamps I found attractive (honestly) and glanced in the golf corner and saw a headcover with the word "Honma" on it. Curiosity aroused I pulled out a bundle of woods taped together and there were 9 Honma woods comprising #1 #2 two #3 two #4 two #5 and a #7. Why there were duplicates of the 3 4 5 woods I don't know but I'm not complaining !. They are all in vg condition and are the High-Powered M-43 Persimmon models with Honma head covers. I was looking for Honma woods to go with my LB-708 irons, now I have almost a full set, only the putter is missing but I will probably find that on the beach tomorrow. Pics later as I'm shifting house at the moment. All I need now is to win the set for life lotto

follow up: I suspect that these woods were part and parcel of the Honma LB irons that I got at the same shop.

Whether they were hidden at the back or came later I'll never know but they have been well looked after.

Current Bag:

TM R7 425 driver 11.5

BB Heavenwood # 9 wood

McGregor putter

Titleist Tour Soft balls

BH Precisions/Sunbursts!!!

Agree. And those heads are heavy even before you start adding lead tape!

I'm right in the middle of rebuilding a set where I've never been happy with the shafts. Took 4, 7 and 9 to trial at the range last night and first impressions are very positive. I always felt these would be my bucket list irons, so feeling big relief to get them performing well.

Can't be many saber 1 irons around...

Haha. He has already helped me fill out the short end of the set with 3 wedges, but I had to go elsewhere to get a matching 2 iron.

Squeezed in 9 holes at the weekend with the Sabers, before I was driven off the course to the range by the pace of play. Might be a little adjustment required. Conditions were very soft to be out for the first time with such a sharp edged set of irons. Thought they played very well around the greens. Visually, they set up great for me - and even hitting range rocks off of mats feels great. Just need to try and dial out the odd heavy contact.

Haha. He has already helped me fill out the short end of the set with 3 wedges, but I had to go elsewhere to get a matching 2 iron.

Squeezed in 9 holes at the weekend with the Sabers, before I was driven off the course to the range by the pace of play. Might be a little adjustment required. Conditions were very soft to be out for the first time with such a sharp edged set of irons. Thought they played very well around the greens. Visually, they set up great for me - and even hitting range rocks off of mats feels great. Just need to try and dial out the odd heavy contact.

I often have the same issue with my Precisions, though they're still my favorite set. I wish I had put a grinder to the leading edge on them before I sent them off for re-chroming but, oh well.

I've been toying with the idea of bending the whole set a little weaker to add some more bounce to each. As they are now, I've got the 2 iron at 20* up to the equalizer at 52* and exploder at 56*. If I added two degrees to each I could eliminate the equalizer altogether and play with a 50* 9 iron and 54* exploder. This leaves room in the bag for 4 woods (1-2-3-4 or 1-3-4-5) which is my preference.

I wouldn't miss the equalizer, either. In this set, from 1957, its clear that the club was intended to be played at 56 or 57*. You can tell by the bend in the hosel right now as I have it set at 52*. Also, I've measured the bounce on this club and at its current loft it measures negative bounce of about 4-5*. Consequently, it really digs on full shots and even delicate pitches, rendering it as a very questionable option most of the time. So I rarely pull it out of the bag, anyway.

On the other hand, my two favorite sand wedges I've ever had were both set at 53* so I think the Hogan Precision Exploder -- which I'm also quite fond of -- would suite me fine at this loft.

Finally, the idea of carrying 4 woods plus a 2 iron while only having one wedge available strikes me as deliciously non-conformist.

And if you play persimmon, you're my friend