Rounds with a Vintage Bag

hey gents, any of you experts on here have an opinion on this particular driver I'm looking at on eBay?

pretty looking grain. it's the insert that kind of concerns me (looks like something in a laminated wood), but, since I don't know what it is, maybe might be something he did different and actually good stuff?

https://www.ebay.com...119.m1438.l2649

Never seen an insert like that on a Joe Powell driver. Looks modified to me. I recall that his inserts had the typical screws in the face.

Old stuff:
1962 Tommy Armour AT2W Driver   1953 Macgregor M65W EOM 3 wood   1978 H&B PowerBilt Citation 4 wood
1984 Ben Hogan Apex PC 2-E   1968 Wilson Dual Wedge
1964 Acushnet O-SET M6S Bullseye Putter

New stuff
Cobra ZL 10.5 driver (Matrix HD6 s-flex)  Titleist TSR2 18* fairway wood (Matrix Code-8 s-flex)   Adams A2P 20* hybrid (Rombax 8D07HB s-flex)
Titleist 716 MB irons 4-PW (Apex 4 soft-stepped)    Callaway Mack Daddy wedges 52, 56, 60 (DG S200)
Odyssey ProType 9 putter

KLP/dpark-

This is one of the very few Joe Powell models with the Gammafire insert.

There was a gentleman in CA who first used this material for inserts to woods in the 1970s.

Here is what fellow Wrxer Bella Woods had to say about it back in 2013, when viewing it in a Cleveland Classic wood.

I would say that it is a green glass insert - fiberglass & resin composition,

the glass inserts were marketed under the name Gamma Fire, mostly in 1970s to

early/mid 1980s. No face screws necessary because it bonded very well with wood.

Made in red and green - very heavy inserts affecting club swingweight. Pretty

easy to file/sand though.

I know I have at least one unused green one around here somewhere - if I find it I will

post a picture. The only ones I ever bought were 5/16" thick 2" by 2" squares.

PS- 1971 Wilson Staff Buttonback Dynapower irons are one of the best models ever made. Exceptional choice.

KLP,

Rex is spot on. And, I second the choice of irons. I have a set of the ‘71 Buttonbacks. Haven’t seen the ‘84 version, but, have seen and played a number of Wilson’s other reissued sets, and have always been impressed.

Particularly interested in how the SW performs, so please let us know.

KLP/dpark-

This is one of the very few Joe Powell models with the Gammafire insert.

PS- 1971 Wilson Staff Buttonback Dynapower irons are one of the best models ever made. Exceptional choice.

rex235, thank you for that info. all of it makes sense. I did a little more digging and this model DSP GT stands for "Glass Trac". and yes, excited to receive those Dynapower irons , seller was kind enough to ship today and said they'd be here in 2 more.

KLP,

Rex is spot on. And, I second the choice of irons. I have a set of the '71 Buttonbacks. Haven't seen the '84 version, but, have seen and played a number of Wilson's other reissued sets, and have always been impressed.

Particularly interested in how the SW performs, so please let us know.

OsR, I couldn't believe he was selling a "new old stock" of this mid 80's iron, I thought it was going to say "refurbished" when I opened the eBay auction link. Anyway, I immediately knew I couldn't pass up on a barn find like that. I'll post some pictures of the irons, well probably pictures of the whole bag too after it all comes together. :D

Excellent choices so far.

The gamma glass inserts were a real hoot to play, as they came out around the same time as Spalding introduced the original Top-Flite golf ball (before there were many variations of it, like today).

You hit a Top-Flite with a driver fitted wiith the gamma glass insert, and it truly sounded like a gun going off!

I had a few Louisville Golf persimmon drivers with those inserts, but never found the control with the driver I needed.

FWIW, I played many, many years with an old PowerBilt Citation Driver and 4-wood, both laminated, and both with the fiber inserts featuring the classic diamond pattern of face screws. These were a bit softer, but never seemed to sacriifice distance. The control with these was such that I got nicknamed "the white Calvin Peete" as I rarely missed a fairway.

Early Aldila graphite shafts in drivers with the gamma glass inserts could really crack a ball outstanding distances, but....the uncontrollable torque of the shafts combined with the speed of the ball off the face/insert usually equalled tee shots into multiple zip codes.

KLP, if you haven't gotten a putter yet, I have a pretty good stable of 8802 style putters that I would love to see go to someone who will appreciate (and play) them. PM me, as I will get you pictures & prices (alll exceptionally affordable, I promise you).

Nice call Rex, on the Gammafire insert in that Powell driver. I hit a Pedersen driver with Gammafire insert years ago and it was a hot driver back then. Wish I had that club today. Great memory!

Cobra F9 Driver 10.5 UST ProForce V2 HL 5F4 46"

Tour Edge Exotic EXS 220 16.5* UST ProForce V2 HL 6F4 44"

Cobra Amp Cell 5-7 fairway (set to 20*) Fujikura Fuel 60g S 43"

Maltby TS3 4-P Elevate MPH 95 +1"

Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 50*, 54* & 58* Apollo Matchflex Wedge 36.25"

Cleveland Classic Collection #10 35"

During my recovery and heading into Tourist and Snowflake Season my wife and I have taken to the Executive Courses. Me with my 73-75 Wilson Staffs with Persimmons, she with her 72-80 Power/Bilt Levelumes with Persimmons. We don't keep score but I am starting to find my swing again although it's still not there. She has taken to her vintage clubs (left handed no less) with enthusiasm and is now hitting them as well if not better than her modern after only 3 outings with them!

All Forged, all the time.
The Sets that see regular playing time...
67 Spalding Top-Flite Professional, Cleveland Classic Persimmon Driver, 3 & 4 Spalding Top-Flite Persimmon Woods, TPM Putter.
71 Wilson Staff Button Backs, Wilson System 3000 Persimmon Driver, 3 & 5 Woods, Wilson Sam Snead Pay-Off Putter.
95 Snake Eyes S&W Forged, Snake Eyes 600T Driver, Viper MS 18* & 21* Woods, 252 & 258 Vokeys, Golfsmith Zero Friction Putter.
2015 Wilson Staff FG Tour F5, TaylorMade Superfast Driver, 16.5* Fairway, & 21* Hybrid, Harmonized SW & LW, Tour Edge Feel2 Putter.

It's not a round but I was hitting some shots with the Ping Eye 2 driver I picked up at the thrift recently and it was really solid feeling and I hit it straight as an arrow EVERY TIME. I haven't hit any club longer than 41" dead straight all year. Unfortunately, about 25 yards or so behind the R1 I usually put in the bag (which always fades for me) but I'm looking forward to taking this out to a slightly shorter course with my grandfather's old Staff blades once I get done cleaning them up.

My Thanksgiving tradition is to slap on a pair of plus 4's and play with old(ish) clubs for a round. This year my bag looked like this. Read below for details/ highlights if interested.

1,3,4W- Cleveland Classic Tour Block w/ S400s

Ping Eye 2 BeCu 1 iron w/ whatever stock shaft Ping put in these things

3-P Wilson Staff FG-17's w/S300s

Ping Eye 2 BeCu SW

Seemore Original FGP (I kind of cheated here, especially since I have an Acushnet Bullseye sitting on the putter rack)

NXT Tour S (tried to mimic something soft and spinny like a balata, don't think it worked haha)

Course: Lake Barrington Shores. 131/ 70.3/ Par 71 6400 yds. Greens are nice, they stimp around 10. It's a short and tight course. You could play well hitting irons off most every tee but that's no fun right?

Here's some highlights from the day:

#1 376 yd Par 4. Sans warm up, I pull driver for the opening shot ( got to, right?) Haven't hit the persimmon's since last Thanksgiving, this ball could go anywhere. Made a good swing and laced a low bullet up the middle. Had 68 in.. I rarely have 68 in w/ my normal driver! My swing speed is fast but I rarely crack 300 with the persimmons. Wait, you mean we are all arguing about rolling the ball back right now? But why? haha

#8 185 yd Par 3. Water front right, dead into a stiff wind. I pull Grandpa's BeCu 1 iron and hit a low chokedown fade that never gets 5 feet off the ground.. Grandpa is 6'5'' and had 1'' over standard length clubs.. so the chokedown 1 iron feels more like a belly putter off the tee to me. It doesn't fade as much as I hope (too much offset, definitely not MY fault) and I end up in the left greenside bunker. Fine by me as I also brought Grandpa's BeCu sand wedge- thing is an absolute ANIMAL out of the sand. A handy par thanks to Gramp's and the Ping Eye 2's, day made.

#15 350 yd Par 4. I'm hitting it well and am under my target score. I confidently pull driver. I proceed to thin/ skull the ball barely clearing the water. I am immediately humbled and laughing.

#17 370 yd Par 4. Toughest tee shot of the day. You could argue this hole is a bit of a design flaw, the slope past the landing area is severe and your ball can roll out into a pond. Short of 240 off the tee and most guys are blocked out. Right is dead. Left is OB. You need a 250 shot uphill to land in a 30x15 yd area to have a good look. Coming off the skull on 15 I step off the ball once before lacing the low draw I hoped for right into the landing area. I. am. pumped. My playing partner rolls his eyes, I prance after the shot. He's buying beers today post beat down. (I so hope he finds this post someday)

This is always one of my favorite rounds of the year. I had so much fun that I took the clubs out again the next day..then I was reminded that some years it doesn't go as well. I got shelled in a skins game and just like that, the modern clubs are back in the bag! I'm 28, I didn't grow up with this version of the game and find myself jealous because of it. I love the feel of persimmons, playing w/ more curvature, and the craftiness needed to get the ball around. I didn't care what I shot so much as I was hungry to hit the next weird shot I drew up in my head. Thanks for reading, I don't post full stories like this often but I had a lot of fun with this. And I'm already stocking up balata's for next years round.

Final score: 74 (+3)

"I'm already stocking up balata's for next years round"

Stock up a lot of them. They don't last long. LOL!

Glad to hear about a young man getting excited about shot making and the equipment and play that gets this group's heart pounding.

67 Spalding Top-Flite Professional, Cleveland Classic Persimmon Driver, 3 & 4 Spalding Top-Flite Persimmon Woods, TPM Putter.
71 Wilson Staff Button Backs, Wilson System 3000 Persimmon Driver, 3 & 5 Woods, Wilson Sam Snead Pay-Off Putter.
95 Snake Eyes S&W Forged, Snake Eyes 600T Driver, Viper MS 18* & 21* Woods, 252 & 258 Vokeys, Golfsmith Zero Friction Putter.
2015 Wilson Staff FG Tour F5, TaylorMade Superfast Driver, 16.5* Fairway, & 21* Hybrid, Harmonized SW & LW, Tour Edge Feel2 Putter.

alright.... I can now tell this is going to be the most difficult thing to acquire....where in the heck are you guys finding persimmon drivers worth a hoot for sale? on eBay in the driver category I go from mediocre stuff on at +/- $50 and then it jumps to decent stuff but over $200 (and waaaaay beyond ). any of you gents know of some businesses, or other forums, anyone that BST old blocks of wood?

Last I looked, there's plenty of good stuff that I wouldn't be ashamed of playing with on Ebay in the $20-30 range. What are you looking for KLP? Anything specific?

Cobra F9 Driver 10.5 UST ProForce V2 HL 5F4 46"

Tour Edge Exotic EXS 220 16.5* UST ProForce V2 HL 6F4 44"

Cobra Amp Cell 5-7 fairway (set to 20*) Fujikura Fuel 60g S 43"

Maltby TS3 4-P Elevate MPH 95 +1"

Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 50*, 54* & 58* Apollo Matchflex Wedge 36.25"

Cleveland Classic Collection #10 35"

Last I looked, there's plenty of good stuff that I wouldn't be ashamed of playing with on Ebay in the $20-30 range. What are you looking for KLP? Anything specific?

Bigarch, oh just a 6 screw face with stiff steel, Dynamic Gold preferably. for example I found a decent MacGregor for $60 on eBay, just still looking for more options than one, lol, maybe a model from Mr. Palmer or Mr. Nicklaus from MacGregor of some kind.

edit: give you an idea this is the one I was ogling.... https://www.ebay.com/itm/MacGregor-M75W-Classic-Persimmon-Driver/162736287462?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

#8 185 yd Par 3. Water front right, dead into a stiff wind. I pull Grandpa's BeCu 1 iron and hit a low chokedown fade that never gets 5 feet off the ground.. Grandpa is 6'5'' and had 1'' over standard length clubs.. so the chokedown 1 iron feels more like a belly putter off the tee to me. It doesn't fade as much as I hope (too much offset, definitely not MY fault) and I end up in the left greenside bunker. Fine by me as I also brought Grandpa's BeCu sand wedge- thing is an absolute ANIMAL out of the sand. A handy par thanks to Gramp's and the Ping Eye 2's, day made.

I recently put a Ping BeCu L wedge into my bag. It's a great club around the greens, and like you said about the sand wedge, an absolute animal out of the sand.

I use it when I'm playing my older sets and my modern sets as well. Works as well as anything new.

KLP, here's a 1/3/5 set of Tommy Armour 986 Tour woods. I admit I didn't look thru all the pics

https://www.ebay.com...PkAAOSw4nhZ7lv2

I also found a Ram TW802 driver in decent shape, with Dynamic S shaft. I'd share the link with you, but I just bought it. Paid a bit more than I'd have cared to, but you don't see TW802's every day. ;)

s-l1600.jpg

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM BRNR Mini 11.5* at 9.5*, 43.5", NV75X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80X, 43.25"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; Tommy Armour 986 Tours 2-PW, Modus 105 S
Wedges:  Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Mizuno TPM-2 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

I recently put a Ping BeCu L wedge into my bag. It's a great club around the greens, and like you said about the sand wedge, an absolute animal out of the sand.

I use it when I'm playing my older sets and my modern sets as well. Works as well as anything new.

Agreed. The only downsides I found were I pulled full shots and opening the face on tight lies was a little less comfortable. both make sense from the clubs thickness and offset. But hey, the same club design produces an awesome sand/ rough tool around the greens. Id really like to try out a lob now

Bigarch, oh just a 6 screw face with stiff steel, Dynamic Gold preferably. for example I found a decent MacGregor for $60 on eBay, just still looking for more options than one, lol, maybe a model from Mr. Palmer or Mr. Nicklaus from MacGregor of some kind.

edit: give you an idea this is the one I was ogling.... https://www.ebay.com/itm/MacGregor-M75W-Classic-Persimmon-Driver/162736287462?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

go to vintage golf category. type persimmon or MacGregor or Powerbilt in the search box. Select price+shipping-lowest first. or go to price box on left side of search and select $25 in the max box.

Profit

"I'm already stocking up balata's for next years round"

Stock up a lot of them. They don't last long. LOL!

Glad to hear about a young man getting excited about shot making and the equipment and play that gets this group's heart pounding.

Haha I'll be bringing a shag bag's worth. I don't doubt the skull on #15 that I mentioned in my post would not only had a have a smile in it, but likely would have split in half.

KLP, here's a 1/3/5 set of Tommy Armour 986 Tour woods. I admit I didn't look thru all the pics

https://www.ebay.com...PkAAOSw4nhZ7lv2

Those look fairly similar in condition to the PowerBilt Citations that I bought back in the spring; perhaps a bit better even and I paid near the same price back then.

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

Well, the Wilson Staff showed up yesterday. This is the "reissue" of the '71 Button-Back. Several on this thread have been so kind as to date them from probably 1985. The eBay auction was as "new old stock", and they really are. They look incredible. 3-PW,SW, Stnd, Stnd , TT DG S300 (grips are bone dry and being replaced). The faces on them are all identical to the picture, completely unused. I know for this thread not quite "vintage" as they've never been hit, and I paid $30 per iron, but I just couldn't pass up on them! This is my first set of Wilson Staff iron that I'll have ever played.

Putter is a John Reuter Jr. I picked up off eBay for $18 total (a little more "vintage" for you purists out there ;) ). The patina on it made me choose it.

• 2 weeks later...

Had to, just had to try out the 71-72 WS Button Backs I'd just acquired even though I only had 5 iron thru Pitching Wedge. I threw a Wilson Harmonized SW in the bag along with a Mizuno T-Zoid Pro 3 iron to help when long iron shots were necessary. What I learned quickly is there is less offset than what I'm used to. Since I normally have to swing from a open face with heavier offset irons I found I could square the iron to the ball and that worked perfectly. My back was troubling me some so I did hit more thin shots than I'd liked to have but in the dry conditions even those worked well enough. I was staying in the middle of the fairways and the ball was running on the thin ones. The ones I pured? Holy :censored2: ! Oh What A Feeling! I hope I can fill out the set soon as these could well give my Mizuno Cimarrons a run for their money. They have definitely bumped out my 73-75 WS Screw Back set to the Vintage Loaner category.

Had to, just had to try out the 71-72 WS Button Backs I'd just acquired even though I only had 5 iron thru Pitching Wedge. I threw a Wilson Harmonized SW in the bag along with a Mizuno T-Zoid Pro 3 iron to help when long iron shots were necessary. What I learned quickly is there is less offset than what I'm used to. Since I normally have to swing from a open face with heavier offset irons I found I could square the iron to the ball and that worked perfectly. My back was troubling me some so I did hit more thin shots than I'd liked to have but in the dry conditions even those worked well enough. I was staying in the middle of the fairways and the ball was running on the thin ones. The ones I pured? Holy :censored2: ! Oh What A Feeling! I hope I can fill out the set soon as these could well give my Mizuno Cimarrons a run for their money. They have definitely bumped out my 73-75 WS Screw Back set to the Vintage Loaner category.

TimV, man I gotta concur, these Button Back irons feel really pure. finally got a chance to hit a couple of buckets of range balls off grass. they were forged iron bliss!

gonna be fun taking the whole bag out for a loop on this Tuesday afternoon.