2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Rounds with a Vintage Bag

Isn't this entire sub-section of WRX about indulging our fetishes? We need fetish ferrule pics Catchy. Ferrules make the club. A lost art, aesthetically interesting ferrule design. You do know how to go about possibly saving those original ferrules, right?

I know the theory, but I messed it up with one ferrule when I pulled the shafts that came with my VIPs. Not badly, but one ferrule got a bit singed. The problem I found was that the ferrules tend to split at the bands, almost as if the ferrule is made of two separate parts. That's one reason why I don't want to reshaft the r58s, but just extend them, even though the shafts (Precision FM 6.5) are the cusp of what I can play.

Anyway a picture of those sweet, sexy ferrules for those of you with, errr, sophisticated tastes. From top to bottom: MT Tourney R58, Mac VIP (1980s Japanese reissue), and Muirfield 20ths. Unfortunately, my Muirfields are away getting their lies and lofts adjusted, so I don't have them to hand.

They're not as gorgeous as the original VIP ferrules, but they're a lot smarter than the standard ones around today.

Here's a better picture:

From top to bottom: MT Tourney R58s, the Mac VIPs reissue, the Mac VIP reissues reshafted using a old-style new ferrule (sadly no longer available), and then the Mac Muirfield 20ths.

In case you were wondering, I didn't reshaft the 2i, PW, and SW in the VIPs, though I might get the 2i done. The PW and SW just have too much offset for my liking.

Catchy, you can get replacement ferrules, there are a few vendors out there that have some quality options to give you a reasonably authentic look. You'll just be missing out on the serial numbers.

And I expect you could stamp that in yourself, or have someone do it for you, post-installation?

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

Catchy, you can get replacement ferrules, there are a few vendors out there that have some quality options to give you a reasonably authentic look. You'll just be missing out on the serial numbers.

And I expect you could stamp that in yourself, or have someone do it for you, post-installation?

I'm not overly bothered by having the serial number. The place where I get my club work done may only have a limited option of ferrules, but the chap did show me the catalogue, and I didn't see anything better than the ones I got for the reshafted VIPs. I'll have to investigate further.

You may already know this. Apologies. The ferrules are constructed of multiple rings, especially once you move beyond the black base. Why you often see missing or broken ferrule rings on classic clubs.

The trick with saving classic club ferrules is to get them out of the way before applying heat to the hosel. I dunk the clubhead in boiling water for 10 seconds to heat up the ferrule, making it pliable. Then using a old grip slit and cut down to 1" work the ferrule up the shaft. Only need to move it about 1" off the hosel. Then I apply a wet cloth wrap over the ferrule to protect it while torching the hosel to break the epoxy bond. Always a torch to pinpoint the heat, not a heat gun. Usually works. Most of the time. Saved some Hogan ferrules doing this. WTS, the best approach is not to reshaft if one can live with the ones already installed.

FWIW, there's a seller on eBay that offers replacement classic MacGregor ferrules. Never have bought his wares, but they're available if they match up. Here:

https://www.ebay.com...YgAAOSwFqJWp~lk

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

Thanks for posting the pics NCN, somebody posted this link in one of the forums https://www.instagram.com/bbandfco/

I haven’t bought any of Patrick’s ferrules yet but have been emailing him and will buy some very, very soon. The irons look amazing and are ground by Don White but are a ways out of my price range!!

You may already know this. Apologies. The ferrules are constructed of multiple rings, especially once you move beyond the black base. Why you often see missing or broken ferrule rings on classic clubs.

The trick with saving classic club ferrules is to get them out of the way before applying heat to the hosel. I dunk the clubhead in boiling water for 10 seconds to heat up the ferrule, making it pliable. Then using a old grip slit and cut down to 1" work the ferrule up the shaft. Only need to move it about 1" off the hosel. Then I apply a wet cloth wrap over the ferrule to protect it while torching the hosel to break the epoxy bond. Always a torch to pinpoint the heat, not a heat gun. Usually works. Most of the time. Saved some Hogan ferrules doing this. WTS, the best approach is not to reshaft if one can live with the ones already installed.

FWIW, there's a seller on eBay that offers replacement classic MacGregor ferrules. Never have bought his wares, but they're available if they match up. Here:

https://www.ebay.com...YgAAOSwFqJWp~lk

That's pretty much how I did it, but I got a bit careless with the blowtorch on one club, and the ferrule melted slightly....

As you say, though, the best thing is to try and keep the original shafts. I have learnt my lesson.

Thanks for posting the pics NCN, somebody posted this link in one of the forums https://www.instagram.com/bbandfco/

I haven't bought any of Patrick's ferrules yet but have been emailing him and will buy some very, very soon. The irons look amazing and are ground by Don White but are a ways out of my price range!!

I hadn't thought of trying him for ferrules, but it's a good idea. Postage to Japan for just ferrules shouldn't be that prohibitive either.

The clubs are an entirely different matter, though.

Alright gents. Thinking of putting together a vintage bag for '18. Driver & 4 wood (both persimmon), 3-PW in an American forging, same in SW, and a Bullseye type putter, throw it all in a Jones classic bag. Budget will be what it will be.

Now, this is nothing I haven't played before, so I want to try something other than RAM or Hogan for irons. The woods can match, or each be different (fwiw I still played a Cleveland Classic persimmon block my last year in college, VERY fond of it). Putter will be a John Reuter, Jr. model of some kind (this should be easiest to acquire).

Any suggestions on a model year in forged irons, any leads on woods? Where the heck do you find this stuff nowadays? sincerely, KLP

Alright gents. Thinking of putting together a vintage bag for '18. Driver & 4 wood (both persimmon), 3-PW in an American forging, same in SW, and a Bullseye type putter, throw it all in a Jones classic bag. Budget will be what it will be.

Now, this is nothing I haven't played before, so I want to try something other than RAM or Hogan for irons. The woods can match, or each be different (fwiw I still played a Cleveland Classic persimmon block my last year in college, VERY fond of it). Putter will be a John Reuter, Jr. model of some kind (this should be easiest to acquire).

Any suggestions on a model year in forged irons, any leads on woods? Where the heck do you find this stuff nowadays? sincerely, KLP

Older tp mp mizunos are just sweet and can he got for quite cheap. My favourite blade is the tp9 which Jose Maria used so well in the early 90s

KLP. Vintage somewhat denotes 40's and 50's era implements. Sounds like you're interested in acquisitions that are a bit more "modern" than that. But I'm parsing terminology and that's not my intent.

Sourcing comes from many avenues. Always eBay with prudent shopping and careful examination of the merch. Have found items of interest at thrift stores, garage sales, estate sales, CL, etc. Clubs are where you find them, have to do some scrounging around looking. The internet does make this task a bit easier, being able to browse listings.

Since you have experience with Cleveland persimmons, why not start there. They can be had relatively inexpensively. A near mint, RC85 went for a mere $42 recently on eBay. (Still kicking myself for not placing a bid on that one.) PB Citations are plentiful and cheap. Hogan Speedslots or Apex's are plentiful (especially on eBay) and can be acquired at good value.

Since you're dismissed Hogans (?), perhaps consider Wilson Staffs. Anything from the mid-60's Dynapower's to the 90's Staffs. FG-17's are plentiful and cheap. Found a excellent set of 17's at a garage sale this summer for $10. Match them up with JP or JP II sand wedges.

Mac Muirfields or Muirfield 20th if you have deeper pockets. Maxfli AB's are quite handsome and reportedly very good players (probably not U.S. forged). Haig Ultras from the 70's. Made in Grand Rapids, MI (don't know where they were forged).

There were a gazillion Bullseye's made in all kinds of configurations. Take your pick, find them cheaply with some regularity while scrounging. I happen to like a Bullseye HB (heavy blade), heftier than the typical "Old Standard" ones. Will make you an honest putter, sweet spot the size of a gnat. Practice with one occasionally, when my putting stroke gets sloppy. Then again, have no problem placing a 85029 Anser in a classic bag. Period correct in my book.

Simply throwing out some ideas. Someone else will have their own preferences for certain clubs. For some of us, the hunt for assembling a "just right" vintage/classic bag is as much fun as playing them. Good luck!

P.S. Perusing through the "Thrift Store Jackpot" and "No New Acquisitions...?" threads is a worthwhile endeavor for ideas on assembling a shopping list.

P.S.S. Doesn't hurt to put out a request here in Classic if you get bogged down looking for a particular item or two. Many around here have lots of stuff in inventory. There's this poster named Teevons that seemingly has at least one of everything ever made.

In the best possible way, I think this an essentially whimsical exercise. The possibilities are endless, and the costs low, which is why so many of us here have hoards that would shame the more mainstream parts of the board. "American made", and "excl Hogan and Ram" is a decent start, but you probably need to do more to narrow the field. So, pick a decade (or birth year!), favourite player, marque, or styling cues and go from there. Do you want retro-futuristic, faded luxury, or classic hand-crafted? Do you want an "autograph" set? Do you want a set you can play as is? Or do you want something to pull apart and make your own? Do you want a set of clubs that create the sharpest contrast with modern sticks, or a set that anticipated how modern clubs would look and perform? Do you want one set, or lots?!

In May of this year, I was having a casual conversation with a work friend about how nice it would be to try forged irons to see what they felt like. So...

I started with a set I found at a local thrift store. They are Wilson K-28s, forged. They looked decent, I got them for $3/club, and there was a full set, including the woods. My first task was to see if I could hit them or not. Once I found out I could, I regripped them and started playing them. My bag was a thrift store find as well. I added a thrift store PW and found a couple of putters.

Then I fell ill. I was attacked by a club collecting virus that I am still trying to shake. (not really) Since May I have assembled 6 sets of clubs, various woods & putters. I haven't had time to play them all. Even got hickory.

My advice: Just dive in. Play what you find, forged, laminated, and persimmon. It's all a whole lot of fun, and the feedback you get from friends and observers is great. Dive in.

Ha! Birly. Therein lies the problem. To many acquisitional themes to contemplate. And classic/vintage clubs begin to proliferate like rabbits. Because there is always one more set or club(s) of interest that show themselves once one acquires the "eye".

Be forewarned KLP, it's a virtual certainty.

Edit add: See above.

scruffynick, Fellaheen51, birly-shirly, Dcohenour, Thank you for starting the dialogue about my inquiry. A breath of fresh air how well mannered a section this is of the WRX forum!

To clarify, this stuff is nothing "new" to me. I played through the sunset of persimmon woods being used in tournament golf. And a forged blade is all I ever knew the first 20 years of my golfing life (RAM Tour Grinds and I recall one or two APEX sets from various decades). I remember Golf Pride Victory grips in their prime. But me and kids were standing around the shop the other day and an old wooden driver came in for a re-grip and I chuckled thinking, "my god, how quickly a club like that became completely, permanently, obsolete." You just don't see them much anymore. And then of course they asked me have I ever hit one, how the heck did anyone ever play with these things, how hard was it, etc. etc. etc....

So it hit me that putting together a set (and this will be just one set) might be fun to have sitting in the corner of the den. And go play golf with at the right courses, playing with the right partners, at the right times. I carried a Jones bag during tournaments in school days (when they were Jones bags, not clarified/sold as the "Original" Jones bag, lol) so that has to be what they all go in. And since these clubs will be played I hope they'll all have some kind of True Temper shafts in them (Dynamic Gold preferably). I totally forgot about maybe looking at MacGregor or Maxfli, irons, I had originally thought Wilson Staff (that was one I never had). I'm looking for a set with semblance of grooves and probably from 1970-1990ish, so I misspoke when I started this by stating "vintage", but in reality anything from the 20th century at this point should be considered such. And the woods are going to be a crap shoot, I mean I'm not going to be able to sit 10 heads down and pick one out of an eye test so what I find will "be what it will be", I'll make the club work. Just a driver with a 6 screw insert, and a 4 wood. I think I've spotted a few of an old favorite of mine, the John Reuter Jr. "La Femme", available on eBay already. This is gonna be fun! KLP

KLP, I would say just dive in with Rams, the quintessential classic blade. I admit to a certain bias...

If you really want to stay away from Rams, I also suggests Wilson Staffs. There are a ton of options on the ebay in reasonable shape, and with reasonable cost.

I like the Cleveland persimmon angle also mentioned earlier. Don't turn your nose up at various older Louisville Golf woods, though. Personal Models, Classic 50s, all sorts of good stuff that would be worthy.

As for a putter... some form of 8802 is always a good thing. I wouldn't balk at using an Anser, though. They've been around a rather long time, after all....

Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

KLP, I would say just dive in with Rams, the quintessential classic blade. I admit to a certain bias...

If you really want to stay away from Rams, I also suggests Wilson Staffs. There are a ton of options on the ebay in reasonable shape, and with reasonable cost.

I like the Cleveland persimmon angle also mentioned earlier. Don't turn your nose up at various older Louisville Golf woods, though. Personal Models, Classic 50s, all sorts of good stuff that would be worthy.

As for a putter... some form of 8802 is always a good thing. I wouldn't balk at using an Anser, though. They've been around a rather long time, after all....

NRJyzr,

In my youth I wore the chrome off several sets of RAM already, looking for something different. edit: Got an eye this morning on these, https://www.ebay.com...53.m1438.l2649. Yeah, have putted with an 8802/8813, great putters. Got enough PING (see sig, lol), no chance it's gone be an Anser.

Great suggestion on Louisville woods, thank you! Haven't even looked at those yet, maybe I can find an interesting 4 wood with them. KLP

KLP. You've touched upon the crux of the matter. "How did any one play these things?". All to many golfers play to score. As if that is the sole determinant to the enjoyment realized during a round. Those who venture into the classic realm, often are using the implements for other reasons. Because its fun, brings pleasure to be utilizing something that's not in the conventional bag, to hell with score. Along the way, one often discovers that they can actually play these old implements pretty well. After all, they were the new hotness in their time. If one has a swing, can play anything you want.

You are now officially obligated to keep us informed of your direction and progress. Them's the rules around here.

Edit add: The eBay link. Oh my!!!

KLP,

With a little time and access to some local thrifts, and/or backrooms of older established pawn shops one can find some great clubs at ridiculously low prices. And, by seeing the merchandise you aren’t buying sight unseen, always an issue, no matter how small, when dealing with the ‘bay.

Sorta off the current topic but I picked up something at Good Will the other night that I have never seen before. Now I have been around a lot of Ram Tour Grinds because that is all my buddy played for 30 years and wore at least 3 sets out. I found a Ram Tour Grind PW called the Featherlight. Looks like a regular Tour Grind and sits like one but the back towards the sole is hollowed out. I do not mean a hollow cavity side like a Golden Ram but hollowed out behind the sole. As the resident Ram man I figured you would know

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Cleveland Designed By 8802 style

Stu, think the Ram Featherlite is of the same design concept as the MacGregor Synchrolite irons. Extreme hollowed out backsides. There may have been others. Weren't these super light iron heads a thing for a hot minute back in the early to mid 80's?

Stu, think the Ram Featherlite is of the same design concept as the MacGregor Synchrolite irons. Extreme hollowed out backsides. There may have been others. Weren't these super light iron heads a thing for a hot minute back in the early to mid 80's?

They were on the Macgregor line I know. They were as you said a hot thing for a short while back in the 80s. A few years ago someone gave me a set of Synchrolite irons. I did mess with them some but could not feel the head. Probably would have took a whole roll of lead tape to weight them up. I think I donated those to the Salvation Army. Found out recently Mac made a set of light Muirfields they must be made of different metal because they look like any other Muirfields except they do have the stamping of Lite or Light. I did not know Ram had a version. I did throw it on my machine and it checked out at 50* loft. It hits pretty good despite the fact I like heavy wedges.

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Cleveland Designed By 8802 style

<p>

KLP, I would say just dive in with Rams, the quintessential classic blade. I admit to a certain bias... If you really want to stay away from Rams, I also suggests Wilson Staffs. There are a ton of options on the ebay in reasonable shape, and with reasonable cost. I like the Cleveland persimmon angle also mentioned earlier. Don't turn your nose up at various older Louisville Golf woods, though. Personal Models, Classic 50s, all sorts of good stuff that would be worthy. As for a putter... some form of 8802 is always a good thing. I wouldn't balk at using an Anser, though. They've been around a rather long time, after all....
Sorta off the current topic but I picked up something at Good Will the other night that I have never seen before. Now I have been around a lot of Ram Tour Grinds because that is all my buddy played for 30 years and wore at least 3 sets out. I found a Ram Tour Grind PW called the Featherlight. Looks like a regular Tour Grind and sits like one but the back towards the sole is hollowed out. I do not mean a hollow cavity side like a Golden Ram but hollowed out behind the sole. As the resident Ram man I figured you would know
</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Fella touched on it, the Featherlights were during the 80s craze for low swingweight irons, following the Pelz light irons.  That scooped muscle is how they achieved the low swingweight.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I feel kind of thankful I missed out on that brief phase, seeing how I like heavier swingweights.  ;)</p>

Playing today at Palmer's Classic course in Rancho Mirage my playing partners drive with Byron Nelson Hitters model 2 wood marked at 315 yards from cart GPS, 530 yard hole he had 215 left to hole, hitting a 3 iron in pic, he left it just short...

I hit my drive which I was very happy with out at 250 yards with hickory Jack White spoon and said where is your ball?? Looking ahead 60 some yards was his

Showing his bag with Mac Hogan 1622 irons 2-E., Mac wedges and Mac Hogan Pro model fairway woods and Mach Hogan spur model putter

Fun to play with someone who just spanks the heck out of the ball with beautiful rhythmic swing

I had him hit my hickories a few times , first time he has ever hit hickory and just murdered the ball without jumping on it

Well, I got to work on what I figured would be the toughest to find (an iron model that interested me, the club's specs, and their current condition), and now it's done. The bag has been started, and I've gotten the SW out of the way with this purchase too (1wd, 4wd, and Bullseye to go).

edit: An offer, then counter offer was accepted on a set of these... https://www.ebay.com...=p2047675.l2557

Sexy choice KLP :pimp:

Sexy choice KLP :pimp:

accepted a counter at $250 + whatever the real cost of shipping turns out to be, well, just couldn't pass them up (I never played a set of Wilson Staff, and I remember playing with all the old golf pros who did, very excited to see them). Nice they have new True Temper DG shafts and fresh grooves on the faces. Hopefully the half cord Victory grips aren't so completely bone dry that a wipe'em down will get them a little tacky again.

edit: another domino has fallen, negotiated a purchase price on a 4 wood that has just the "look" I was hoping for... https://www.ebay.com...872.m2749.l2649

hey gents, any of you experts on here have an opinion on this particular driver I'm looking at on eBay?

pretty looking grain. it's the insert that kind of concerns me (looks like something in a laminated wood), but, since I don't know what it is, maybe might be something he did different and actually good stuff?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Joe-Powell-DSP-GT-Persimmon-Driver-DG-S300-Still-Shaft/292348403297?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649