2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Rounds with a Vintage Bag

Recently picked up a set of 2-9 apex 2 white cameos with apex pro 5 shafts, I came with an E, but the head was pretty much beyond saving. Took it out to compare to my sabers. The sabers won hands down, no questions asked. It could be the shafts, but I’ve swung enough different shafts that were balanced for me to learn that most of them are just fine, as long as they are heavy enough.

Didn’t get to check the swingweights on them, but, they were too long, too light, with no head feelings. On the scale they were about 30g lighter across the board, which I’ve been ok with before, so the balance must be funky. Might be in the high C range as far as SW goes. I’ll give them more time with some lead tape, but I’m expecting to let them go...

And for those that are keeping track (which is probably just me), I liked the mac PT1 so much that I switched them out for my main irons. :) they let me play lazy golf. funny enough, after the short time playing with these, my Sabers seem more forgiving, even though the macs are about twice as lenient on bad strikes. Through some weird feeeback loop I’m actually improving lol.

My club's last qualifying competition of the year today, a bogey comp, I went full vintage with:

Slazenger 2 persimmon

Uniroyal "Arnold Palmer" 3 and 4 laminates

Dunlop Australian Blades 3 to PW

Dunlop Peter Thomson SW

Two putters, Spalding Cash-In and a Petron Impala.

The two putters choice was a mistake, I couldn't decide pre-round which to use so swapped out my 1 wood for an extra putter, used both during the round to poor effect but worse was I kept skying the 2 wood!

I had three great chances for wins on the first three holes but took none of them. Combine this with my usual woeful short game (yet another double-hit chip) and 20 mph winds and it's no surprise I came in 7 down to the course.

Even after this pathetic round I'm 99% certain that next year I'll be playing Old School for all my qualifiers.

It's not all about the score.

https://www.youtube.com/c/ClassicGolfClubs

Matching vintage clubs with vintage courses?. The nearest course I can think of as being vintage would be a links, you know the one, all sand hillocks and within sight and sound of the ocean. St Andrews Royal comes to mind. Here in SE Queensland we have sand islands and where I live there are two courses, Bribie island GC and Pacific Harbour GR. Neither of them fit the criteria of a true links but I'm finding that because Pacific Harbour does have a lot of water and lumps it does have that feel about it, and, more importantly it seems to suit my vintage stuff. When first playing this course my friend Tom and I started at 10 and we both thought it was awful, to the point of getting lost and had to take a short cut across a snake-infested swampy paddock to a building site and road back to the clubhouse before it got dark. A few weeks later we reneged on a promise never to go there again and this time with a buggy, we played the first 9 holes and it was great!. It is a long course and I would only play a full 18 mid-winter in the cool. Being on sand, the courses dry out quickly after rain which is good but if you stray off the fairway, you are virtually playing out of a bunker for your next shot (Bribie Island GC is particularly bad for this), so accuracy is important and this is where the vintage clubs come in because (for me) although they lack a bit in distance they sure make up for it in accuracy. Horses for course? I believe so.

Current Bag:

TM R7 425 driver 11.5

Cleveland Launcher #4 wood

Cobra King Hyper Steel #7 wood

BB Heavenwood # 9 wood

Titlelst DCI Black O/S irons 7 8 9 W SW, Lovett chipper

McGregor putter

Titleist Tour Soft balls

The back in time thread motivated me to put away the Eye 2s and modern woods for 65 Dynapowers and Hogan Speedslots. Played with them the last three days and haven't enjoyed golf more. Weather was perfect, course was what courses should be imo. Played just as well with the classics as the semi moderns. Albeit the eye2s are icons imo.

More

Looks just like the 1st green at Willow Valley which is about 5 minutes from home. :good:

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

More

Great autumn colours, reminds me of northern Victoria (Aus) around Myrtleford Bright and Harrietville at the base of the Snowy Mountains. Avenues of wonderful colours - we don't get that up here in sub-tropical Queensland

Current Bag:

TM R7 425 driver 11.5

Cleveland Launcher #4 wood

Cobra King Hyper Steel #7 wood

BB Heavenwood # 9 wood

Titlelst DCI Black O/S irons 7 8 9 W SW, Lovett chipper

McGregor putter

Titleist Tour Soft balls

Not a round but range time with my son. A couple buckets of balls in Hogan workman-like fashion trying to dig it out of the dirt. Looks like the weather in West Michigan will crater after today. Here’s hoping I can come out swinging, so to speak, in the spring.

Took a half day on Friday 10/27, in spite of an injury, to take advantage of what was supposed to be the nicest day of the week. It was sunny on the way to the course, and a bit breezy. By the time I teed off, there was a stiff 20 mph wind under a mostly cloudy sky. Temp in the low 50's, felt like about 42 degrees. But, I was there, and dressed for it, so off I went. Played 18 holes with a mixed bag of hickory irons, a Citation persimmon 3 wood, and a Louisville persimmon smart driver with a graphite shaft. Bag was an old Tommy Armour in a pull cart. My round was only about 10 strokes higher than normal in what were the most brutal conditions I faced all year. I had a good time. Love fall golf, and love playing with the vintage clubs.

Hey there all.........I love this thread. I have posted in another and had a nice reception. I am John and live in Central Georgia and i am a vintage club hoe. I am looking for a 12 step program or at least some enabling friends. My round today was fair. I will list my vintage equipment and not so vintage.

Wilson Staff FG17 2-SW reg flex

H&B Persimmon Driver

Louisville golf Niblick 3 and 7 wood. [not necessarily vintage but vintage inspired]

Acushnet La Femme putter 33 inch

Mizuno 60 degree wedge..........here again not vintage but a necessity for my game.

Wilson Staff 50 golf balls. I really like them with the vintage equipment

I have played two rounds with this set up and have shot an 80 84 and 84 at three very different courses in the last 10 days. Todays round was at a course that has large and FASSSSTTT greens. It took me to the 15th hole to get the hang of the speed.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm not sure how "Vintage" this is, but today I hit my first persimmon in anger (well, first persimmon on a golf course) since 1991 (or thereabouts).

I wanted to go with an all Eighties set up, but the Woods Bros Corker is probably later, so I ended up playing some Mac MT Tourney R58 irons, which I think were a Japan-only release from 1991 or thereabouts. Rumour has it they are Miura-forged. I honestly don't know, but they feel absolutely beautiful. I completed the bag with persimmon Mizuno 3 and 4 woods (unsure of date), a Ping EYE 2 BeCu L-wedge that I was given in about 1989, and a Wilson TPA XVIII putter that I picked up just the other day.

It was a good day for golf; rain and strong winds were forecast, but they never really materialized, and all we got was a slightly chilly breeze from the north. Temperatures about 50*F. The course we played is relatively old for Japan, and not too punishing, which is why I thought it would be good to try persimmons again, in case it all went horribly wrong.

The course was set up short today, but that was no bad thing as the ball wasn't going far in the cold, heavy air.

I struggled a bit with the driver: hit a couple of stinkers, but the good were really good. In fact, I smoked one that left me about 220 in on a 525 yard par five (wind was following)....if I could hit that more consistently, I'd play this driver every day.

Anyway, I'm definitely going to be playing persimmon again. It was more satisfying in a way than playing the modern stuff, and I think using persimmon makes driving much more of a finer art than nowadays.

Another highlight: to go with the Eighties/early Nineties theme, I wore an old Pringle sweater I recently brought back from England with me (I foolishly tossed the delightful mustard yellow number with Geometric George on it. Someone in a charity shop somewhere has become the lucky owner of that). Anyway, on the stairs up to the restaurant were some pictures from 1988 and 89 when Faldo, Jeff Sluman, Scott Hock, and Tom Watson played the course for some sort of exhibition match. So there I was in my old blue Pringle sweater looking at a photo of Faldo in a pretty tasty purple Pringle with a Geometric George design.

Anyway, a couple of pics of the bag, and one of the beautiful views we had today:

Two thumbs up, NCN! :good: :good:

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

I'm not sure how "Vintage" this is, but today I hit my first persimmon in anger (well, first persimmon on a golf course) since 1991 (or thereabouts).

I wanted to go with an all Eighties set up, but the Woods Bros Corker is probably later, so I ended up playing some Mac MT Tourney R58 irons, which I think were a Japan-only release from 1991 or thereabouts. Rumour has it they are Miura-forged. I honestly don't know, but they feel absolutely beautiful. I completed the bag with persimmon Mizuno 3 and 4 woods (unsure of date), a Ping EYE 2 BeCu L-wedge that I was given in about 1989, and a Wilson TPA XVIII putter that I picked up just the other day.

It was a good day for golf; rain and strong winds were forecast, but they never really materialized, and all we got was a slightly chilly breeze from the north. Temperatures about 50*F. The course we played is relatively old for Japan, and not too punishing, which is why I thought it would be good to try persimmons again, in case it all went horribly wrong.

The course was set up short today, but that was no bad thing as the ball wasn't going far in the cold, heavy air.

I struggled a bit with the driver: hit a couple of stinkers, but the good were really good. In fact, I smoked one that left me about 220 in on a 525 yard par five (wind was following)....if I could hit that more consistently, I'd play this driver every day.

Anyway, I'm definitely going to be playing persimmon again. It was more satisfying in a way than playing the modern stuff, and I think using persimmon makes driving much more of a finer art than nowadays.

Another highlight: to go with the Eighties/early Nineties theme, I wore an old Pringle sweater I recently brought back from England with me (I foolishly tossed the delightful mustard yellow number with Geometric George on it. Someone in a charity shop somewhere has become the lucky owner of that). Anyway, on the stairs up to the restaurant were some pictures from 1988 and 89 when Faldo, Jeff Sluman, Scott Hock, and Tom Watson played the course for some sort of exhibition match. So there I was in my old blue Pringle sweater looking at a photo of Faldo in a pretty tasty purple Pringle with a Geometric George design.

Anyway, a couple of pics of the bag, and one of the beautiful views we had today:

Those are gorgeous irons!!!

Well............I struggled with my wood.........woods. So I went back to my Ping I25 diver and woods. I also swapped out my irons from the FG17 to a set of MP68s. Ok. I scored ok but I really dont like the irons. Ive tried to play them a few times and I am just not good with them. So............. Im going back to my FG17s. I do plan to keep the Ping modern driver and and fairways for now. The one constant that I havent changed is the Acushnet La Femme. I tried a more modern putter but no good for me. I guess I cant totally go vintage for now but im sure I will try again soon. As I digress.........the FG17s may possibly be the best irons for me. To be honest i have at least 5 sets of them so i should be good forever since im 48. Although my newest purchase is a set of The Haig irons written in script. Does anyone have any opinion about them?

Catchy-

Your MT Tourney R58 irons are among those sets my brother used to call " a shark among minnows"-

HAB may be correct- these are likely MacGregor irons made under limited contract by Miura, like Jack Nicklaus' special irons.

Even though this is a relatively simple looking design, since it was a Miura contract, it was most likely RH Only.

fg-

Rule #1- Condition is everything.

You might get more responses to your question if you showed some photos of your 1982-83 "The Haig" irons.

TPW Sand Iron included with the set?

The MT Tourney R58s are indeed a beautiful iron. I like the simplicity of the design; in fact, the backs of my modern irons, the MP-18s, are pretty similar, and that's something I like about them.

However, I really need to get the shafts of the R58s extended, by at least 3/4", maybe an inch. Off the top of my head, I think they're shafted with Precision 6.5s, which are a little bit on the stiff side for me, but not overwhelmingly so. I really don't want to reshaft them in case I damage any of the beautiful long ferrules in them.

Ok NCN now you have to take a pic of the ferrules!

Crikey, this is turning into a fetish site! :taunt:

I'll try to get some pictures up, but you may have to wait a day or two.

They're really just the older type ferrules, a bit longer than the modern ones, but with three lovely bands, two red and one gold.

Isn't this entire sub-section of WRX about indulging our fetishes? We need fetish ferrule pics Catchy. Ferrules make the club. A lost art, aesthetically interesting ferrule design. You do know how to go about possibly saving those original ferrules, right?

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs