Rounds with a Vintage Bag

Arch-

"He could bend your clubs in a doorjamb" -Tom Weiskopf, in describing David Graham's talent for adjusting clubs, in addition to designing them.

David Graham did design the VIP iron model Jack Nicklaus used to win the 1980 US Open at Baltusrol-

David Graham using the same MacGregor VIP iron model Jack had used a year before, also won the 1981 US Open the next year at Merion.

Graham had also given his 1960 Wilson Staff Dynapower Sand Wedge to Tom Watson, who won the 1982 US Open at Pebble Beach.

If memory serves me, Watson had some success with that Wilson Staff Dynapower SW Graham had given him on the 71st hole there.

And I would really be remiss if I didn't mention 1979, where at the PGA Championship at Oakland Hills, David Graham won in a playoff...

out putting some guy named Ben Crenshaw....with a Bullseye...

The same putter Graham would use two years later in winning the US Open at Merion.

Rounds with a vintage bag...well, almost. I cheated, but what the hell, I am going to post anyway.

Shot 75 last Sunday with these babies.

I took my modern Callaway driver and Steelhead III 4 wood. The course was 6600 yards so I thought the heavy artillery needed to be employed. In addition to the Daiwas 3-9, I carried a Hogan sand wedge (Redline) and a Bullseye putter. I acquired these irons from Tim because my right elbow has been in such a state that, despite my misgivings, I just had to go to graphite. Glad I did, thevshaft in the Advisors seemed just right for me, Daiwa stiff graphite (don't know who actually made them). The clubs were famously designed by David Graham back around 1990 I believe. Really terrific clubs.

Daiwa made some awesome sticks back in those days. They really took the graphite shaft "mainstream" back then. I think they made all their own stuff because they were so heavily invested in the fishing industry. And double thumbs up on the David Graham reference. People don't realize that he was a true pro's pro. The guy could play but he also was a helluva club designer. I believe he used to help design irons for Macgregor back in their heyday. BIGSTU could probably confirm that.

Yes, when I picked these irons up from Tim (Teevons) he told me the Daiwa were quite expensive when they came out. Sort of like the PXG of the 80s/90s.

I notice you’re from Herrin, Bigarch. Well, we have something in common, my friend. I grew up in Mt. Carmel, IL just east of you, and I was born in Christopher. I live in Calif. now but go home every summer. You don’t run into Southern Illiniosans every day. Fancy meeting you here.

Imagine that! I moved here from the St. Louis area about 20 years ago. My wife grew up in Royalton. If you get home in the summer and have time...look me up and let's play a round somewhere.

Cobra F9 Driver 10.5 UST ProForce V2 HL 5F4 46"

Tour Edge Exotic EXS 220 16.5* UST ProForce V2 HL 6F4 44"

Cobra Amp Cell 5-7 fairway (set to 20*) Fujikura Fuel 60g S 43"

Maltby TS3 4-P Elevate MPH 95 +1"

Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 50*, 54* & 58* Apollo Matchflex Wedge 36.25"

Cleveland Classic Collection #10 35"

Rounds with a vintage bag...well, almost. I cheated, but what the hell, I am going to post anyway.

Shot 75 last Sunday with these babies.

I took my modern Callaway driver and Steelhead III 4 wood. The course was 6600 yards so I thought the heavy artillery needed to be employed. In addition to the Daiwas 3-9, I carried a Hogan sand wedge (Redline) and a Bullseye putter. I acquired these irons from Tim because my right elbow has been in such a state that, despite my misgivings, I just had to go to graphite. Glad I did, thevshaft in the Advisors seemed just right for me, Daiwa stiff graphite (don't know who actually made them). The clubs were famously designed by David Graham back around 1990 I believe. Really terrific clubs.

I do not consider that cheating. I play a mixed bag all the time of modern metals and vintage blade irons. IMHO I would say you played vintage enough with the combos of the irons wedge and putter. Darn good round if you ask me with the equipment you selected. Wonder how many folks with all of the latest and greatest shot what you shot? Now today Bear and the boys got us into a money match so I am sorta mixed. I will have the modern metals in but will have my 2013 Forged X irons in but do have my old dependable 588s and Vokey 52 in the bag. Of course "Rusty" is in too. LOL come to think of it the 2013 X irons are 5 years old so in most folks eyes they are antique too

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Rusty 1997 Scottie Santa Fe-- Fluted Bulls Eye Shaft

Stu - I also hit my BH Apex irons very high, which is great on approach shots from 140 yds in but, not necessarily great on 200 yds in with a 3-4 iron depending on conditions...could be the lightweight #4 shaft.

Ok so it ain't me then. I do like the feel though. I will be glad when the real spring gets here and the temps up because I want to play the Bastardized Macs again with the #2 shafts. Both of those sets hit so smooth and have incredible feel

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Rusty 1997 Scottie Santa Fe-- Fluted Bulls Eye Shaft

• 2 weeks later...

Out with the Staff Button Backs (see sig) today and was finally grooving the majority of my shots. I have discovered that the sweet spot on these is pretty much dead center. You might say Duh to that but my Mizunos sweet spot is toe side center and that's what I had been trying to do before with the Staffs and getting mixed results. Made the effort to really center the iron and the results improved dramatically. My wife cheated on me today... by playing her Ping Rhapsodies instead of her Power/Bilt Citations. She was feeling lazy today. ;) We played with a transplanted Jamaican (about our age) and his son and had a great time. Made a very favorable impression on them with the vintage kit and they were fascinated that someone could 'school them' playing clubs like that. Not sure they believed me when I was telling them there really wasn't that big a difference between what I was playing and what they were but my wife told them that I played about the same with my Ping G10's but was just a little longer with them. Regardless, it was a very enjoyable round in cool weather and I absolutely love the feel of the Button Backs on purred shots.

Keep Swinging,

Tim

All Forged, all the time.
The Sets that see regular playing time...
67 Spalding Top-Flite Professional, Cleveland Classic Persimmon Driver, 3 & 4 Spalding Top-Flite Persimmon Woods, TPM Putter.
71 Wilson Staff Button Backs, Wilson System 3000 Persimmon Driver, 3 & 5 Woods, Wilson Sam Snead Pay-Off Putter.
95 Snake Eyes S&W Forged, Snake Eyes 600T Driver, Viper MS 18* & 21* Woods, 252 & 258 Vokeys, Golfsmith Zero Friction Putter.
2015 Wilson Staff FG Tour F5, TaylorMade Superfast Driver, 16.5* Fairway, & 21* Hybrid, Harmonized SW & LW, Tour Edge Feel2 Putter.

Well done Tim! I’m jealous - we’re under a winter weather advisory here tonight. Did make it to the heated range this morning with my ISIs. A great half hour isolated from the worries of the day. Need to crank up my planning on a potential week in FL soon.

Well done on the vintage ‘schooling’ too!

• 2 weeks later...

Early this morning... My Wife Sally: ~ yawn ~ What are we doing today? Me: Golf. Sally: Your golfing? Me: We're golfing. Sally: Where? Me: Colony West Golf Club Glades Course. What set of clubs do you want to play? Sally: Vintage. Me: You got it!

I hit some good shots. Sally hit some good shots. I hit some bad shots. Sally hit some bad shots. I chipped in for Birdie on Hole 14. Sally gave me the Clap! ;)

My wife has now learned that playing vintage is improving her game over-all and her Iron Play in particular. She has a set of Ping Rhapsodies and she had focused on hitting her high lofted woods and hybrids. Her vintage set is HB Power/Bilt Levelumes 2 and 4 Woods (Persimmon,) 3, 5, 7, and 9 Irons with a chipper and blade putter. (Finding a nice set of Ladies Left Handed Vintage Clubs isn't easy!) She is forced to use her Irons more and it has helped her tremendously. She now uses her irons more often and more successfully in her modern Ping set and she correctly attributes that success to her vintage play. Vintage Play has elevated her Modern Game.

So, Am I the only one here that has a Wife that plays Vintage with him?

67 Spalding Top-Flite Professional, Cleveland Classic Persimmon Driver, 3 & 4 Spalding Top-Flite Persimmon Woods, TPM Putter.
71 Wilson Staff Button Backs, Wilson System 3000 Persimmon Driver, 3 & 5 Woods, Wilson Sam Snead Pay-Off Putter.
95 Snake Eyes S&W Forged, Snake Eyes 600T Driver, Viper MS 18* & 21* Woods, 252 & 258 Vokeys, Golfsmith Zero Friction Putter.
2015 Wilson Staff FG Tour F5, TaylorMade Superfast Driver, 16.5* Fairway, & 21* Hybrid, Harmonized SW & LW, Tour Edge Feel2 Putter.

Here's what I played today:

Mizuno Blondie Driver

Mac M85 two wood (a tricky beast, but rewarding when hit right)

Mac Toney Penna R1W 4w (first time out today. Lovely penetrating ball flight, and wonderful feel).

Mizuno 6w (the Joker in the pack)

Mac MT Tour Forged 4i-PW (reshafted. Today was the first time I have taken to the course)

Then modern Callaway MD2 wedges (54* and 58*) and Odyssey #9 putter.

The irons were great. Easy to set up and aim, and great off the dormant grass.

Here's what I played today:

Mizuno Blondie Driver

Mac M85 two wood (a tricky beast, but rewarding when hit right)

Mac Toney Penna R1W 4w (first time out today. Lovely penetrating ball flight, and wonderful feel).

Mizuno 6w (the Joker in the pack)

Mac MT Tour Forged 4i-PW (reshafted. Today was the first time I have taken to the course)

Then modern Callaway MD2 wedges (54* and 58*) and Odyssey #9 putter.

The irons were great. Easy to set up and aim, and great off the dormant grass.

fine looking clubs and interesting course as well !

Current Bag:

TM R7 425 driver 11.5

Cleveland Launcher #4 wood

Cobra King Hyper Steel #7 wood

BB Heavenwood # 9 wood

Titlelst DCI Black O/S irons 7 8 9 W SW, Lovett chipper

McGregor putter

Titleist Tour Soft balls

Would love to get out but too hot and humid, waiting for a cool spell to make a dash for it.

Sorted out the vintage bag with Wilson Staff stuff, all the irons, Wilson Td5 Ti Titanium 385cc 9* and my Wilson Staff Harmonized putter. Odd ball clubs are my magic Cleveland Launcher 4 wood and the indispensable Lovett chipper. I see the centre shafted putters are coming back in vogue on the pro circuit. All I need now is a break from the heat and I'll be away like a startled rabbit !

Correction: Sorted out the standard bag etc. The other bag is nearly all MacGregor

Current Bag:

TM R7 425 driver 11.5

BB Heavenwood # 9 wood

McGregor putter

Titleist Tour Soft balls

• 3 weeks later...

With all the recent poor weather we only had 10 holes open today, took out a bag to suit the conditions and joined a small roll up group.

Playing late 80s Titleist steel woods numbers 1 & 5, picked a few irons from a dog rough set of Wilson Staff Tourblades, 4, 6, 7, 8, PW & SW, with a John Letters Golden Goose putter to round it off.

I was lopped 5 shots off my handicap (because that's what most in the group have lost over winter) so playing off 7 but hit some good stuff, apart from two no score holes, and came in with 20 points over the 10 holes to take first in the group of 8 and a small but satisfactory £5.

It's not all about the score.

https://www.youtube.com/c/ClassicGolfClubs

With all the recent poor weather we only had 10 holes open today, took out a bag to suit the conditions and joined a small roll up group.

Playing late 80s Titleist steel woods numbers 1 & 5, picked a few irons from a dog rough set of Wilson Staff Tourblades, 4, 6, 7, 8, PW & SW, with a John Letters Golden Goose putter to round it off.

I was lopped 5 shots off my handicap (because that's what most in the group have lost over winter) so playing off 7 but hit some good stuff, apart from two no score holes, and came in with 20 points over the 10 holes to take first in the group of 8 and a small but satisfactory £5.

Brilliant I had a set of those in the early 90s, had the titleist 3 wood too! Great price and beats my £40 for mint condition ping zings that's currently in my bag....was chuffed with that price. Shame about our loony weather!

Have now put 3 very solid rounds together in a row playing 3 different courses with the combination of the white driver (that will not be named ;) ) a Callaway Steelhead 15 degree 3 wood and 21 degree "7 wood," and my 84/85 Mizuno Blades and brass Slotline putter. Tues was 2 Birds, 10 pars, 2 bogies, and 4 doubles. Thurs. was 8 pars and 1 DB on front 9, 3 birds, 3 pars, 3 bogies on back 9. Today was 8 pars, 7 bogies, and 3 DB's. I was hitting the ball really well today but couldn't get the putter going. Even though this may well be no big deal for many of you this is pretty good golf for me. I can play better, but I can also play a lot worse.

Keep Swinging,

Tim

BZ, Tim! :good:

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

• 2 weeks later...

I got in a really nice round yesterday at Celebration Golf Club a great Robert Trent Jones sr and jr. Design. I hit 1989 Wilson Staffs and a 10 deg Texan. I played Callaway super soft balls. I played 2 nice guys from Argentina. They were fun to play with and They were in awe of my driver. One of the guys was about 75 and played persimmon back in the day.

I hit this one really well and it drew around the corner , I was amazed it rolled out close to 275 yards. The sound is like balata ... feel is really good too

I got in a really nice round yesterday at Celebration Golf Club a great Robert Trent Jones sr and jr. Design. I hit 1989 Wilson Staffs and a 10 deg Texan. I played Callaway super soft balls. I played 2 nice guys from Argentina. They were fun to play with and They were in awe of my driver. One of the guys was about 75 and played persimmon back in the day.

I hit this one really well and it drew around the corner , I was amazed it rolled out close to 275 yards. The sound is like balata ... feel is really good too

Does have a good sound. Nice clean hit.

Current Bag:

TM R7 425 driver 11.5

BB Heavenwood # 9 wood

McGregor putter

Titleist Tour Soft balls

• 3 weeks later...

Took out my persimmons today along with my RAM Tour Grinds, the first time out on the course for these irons (with me, at least).

I had my Mizuno Blondie in play, Mac Toney Penna R1W 4w, Mizuno 6w, Ram TGs from 3-PW, Ram Camber Sole SW, and a Wilson TPA XVIII putter. The only modern club was a 60* raw custom Vokey of indeterminable age.

The Mizuno driver performed well. The course I played was fairly tight, but I managed to avoid OB with the driver (not with the SW, though....). It's hard to pick a best drive, but two really stand out. The one on the 518 yard par-5 10th was a thing of beauty. With a bit of breeze behind, I hit a little draw perfectly and it fizzed off the face; beautiful feel and sound, one that you can only get with persimmon. It left about 230 uphill to the hole, and I hit a pretty good 4w to the left side of the green (it's guarded by a big bunker in front, so left is good). Two putts for a birdie.

The other was on a short par 4 over water. It's only about 235 to carry the water and 250 to the centre of the green. Slight breeze against, I decided to see if I could clear it with the driver. Pushed it a bit right, but cleared it easily, and hit a flop shot on over a bunker and made the putt for the birdie.

The irons were great, too. They're not as soft as my Macs, but satisfyingly solid. Lots of good shots, but one of the best was a 7i over a huge hill into a blind green after I had hit my worst drive of the day out to the right. After picking the 7i, I just trusted the club and my yardage and swung. Walked up to find my ball about pin-high on the green. Not really a birdie putt, but got down in two to finish the round with a par for a 79.

I was glad that I took the persimmons today, as I was deliberating over whether to go with them or the modern-day woods last night. I enjoy playing the persimmons more, so if there's nothing on the line, they go in the bag.

Took out my persimmons today along with my RAM Tour Grinds, the first time out on the course for these irons (with me, at least).

I had my Mizuno Blondie in play, Mac Toney Penna R1W 4w, Mizuno 6w, Ram TGs from 3-PW, Ram Camber Sole SW, and a Wilson TPA XVIII putter. The only modern club was a 60* raw custom Vokey of indeterminable age.

The Mizuno driver performed well. The course I played was fairly tight, but I managed to avoid OB with the driver (not with the SW, though....). It's hard to pick a best drive, but two really stand out. The one on the 518 yard par-5 10th was a thing of beauty. With a bit of breeze behind, I hit a little draw perfectly and it fizzed off the face; beautiful feel and sound, one that you can only get with persimmon. It left about 230 uphill to the hole, and I hit a pretty good 4w to the left side of the green (it's guarded by a big bunker in front, so left is good). Two putts for a birdie.

The other was on a short par 4 over water. It's only about 235 to carry the water and 250 to the centre of the green. Slight breeze against, I decided to see if I could clear it with the driver. Pushed it a bit right, but cleared it easily, and hit a flop shot on over a bunker and made the putt for the birdie.

The irons were great, too. They're not as soft as my Macs, but satisfyingly solid. Lots of good shots, but one of the best was a 7i over a huge hill into a blind green after I had hit my worst drive of the day out to the right. After picking the 7i, I just trusted the club and my yardage and swung. Walked up to find my ball about pin-high on the green. Not really a birdie putt, but got down in two to finish the round with a par for a 79.

I was glad that I took the persimmons today, as I was deliberating over whether to go with them or the modern-day woods last night. I enjoy playing the persimmons more, so if there's nothing on the line, they go in the bag.

Nice going with the lumber. I can only dream of reaching a 518 yard uphill par 5 in two, or carrying a 235 yard lake with ease. Haha

Do you find you have better control with the persimmons or moderns?

And if you play persimmon, you're my friend

Nice going with the lumber. I can only dream of reaching a 518 yard uphill par 5 in two, or carrying a 235 yard lake with ease. Haha

Do you find you have better control with the persimmons or moderns?

As far as the drivers are concerned, I have better control with the persimmons. No question about it. With the big-headed drivers, I try to hit it too hard, and also have problems really feeling the club head through the swing. With the persimmons, I feel I have much more control over the head, and have more confidence trying to shape the ball. Perhaps that's because that's what I grew up playing.

There's less difference between the fairway woods, though I like smaller headed fairway woods even with my modern set (I use V-steels: 4w, 7w, and 9w, with a T/S in the wings).

The modern driver (Ping G400) is longer than my Mizuno Blondie, but not by as much as you might think. I also have a Wood Bros Corker which I think would give the Ping a run for its money, but the shaft on the Corker isn't as good a fit for me as the one on the Mizuno. Don't ask me what they are, because there's no label on either of them!

Humbled !

Realizing I'm not the same ME from decades ago. Either search for a shorter course or pack the set back into the box, again.

I'm not sure if that was directed at my post, but I will say that in my previous round, in mid March, I shot a smooth 28 over...using my modern woods.

I might be better with persimmon!

Played today in Chicago - 2nd round of the season. Macgregor woods, Hogan Apex irons and my Ping Kushin putter.

Being Chicago, we have 20+ mph gust and near 60 degrees - but hey its not snowing (sadly that's forecast for the weekend!).

Put together a smooth a/k/a crappy 94. Never in trouble, never with a birdie putt, just 1 or 2 OMG shots per hole. My AT2W 2 wood was pretty sad today - seemed to thin most of the tee shots. I have an AT2W driver on order. If nothing helps, may call up my Hickory Brassie from Louisville Golf - I actually hit it just as far as the 2 wood. Oh well - its GOLF.

Just an older guy with 7 or 8 clubs and a MacKenzie Sunday Walker bag

Same weather here in West MI rwc356. Same weekend forecast too. Rats!!! Played hickory 9 this morning. Beautiful day. Hit a few nice shots but a few more stinkers for +8. Oh well, that’s golf. Btw my jigger is magic.

Can someone somewhere please send some real spring weather in this direction? Please?!!!

Humbled !

Realizing I'm not the same ME from decades ago. Either search for a shorter course or pack the set back into the box, again.

I'm not sure if that was directed at my post, but I will say that in my previous round, in mid March, I shot a smooth 28 over...using my modern woods.

I might be better with persimmon!

It's me !

I have to surrender to father time since most of my older golf clubs are either Stiff or XS flex. I'll need to use equipment better suited for my current condition, or go back to a track less than 6200 yards.

Go for something better suited to your current reality because dropping back a set or two of tee blocks isn't really going to cut it if your swinging rebar in your clubs.

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

• 2 weeks later...

Last week, I played a course near me using persimmons and old irons (Ram Tour Grinds). The only modern club in the bag was a old model Vokey that I had just bought and wanted to try out. I shot 79 (posted about it in this thread, April 12th).

On Saturday, I played the same course in near identical conditions, same sort of temperatures and same sort of gentle breeze off the sea, using my modern set. The only old club in the bag was a Wilson TPA XVIII putter that I used in the previous round. I shot 86.

Now, to be fair to my modern set, my putting was awful on Saturday. Whereas the previous time I had made some decent par-save putts, this time I missed everything, and I mean everything. I missed 6 putts within 7ft on the front nine, and 5 within 8ft on the back nine.

So what's the takeaway? Well, I was definitely hitting my persimmon driver better than my modern one (Ping G400), but the Ping is pretty forgiving on mishits. I felt in more control with the persimmon, but was longer off the tee with the Ping even though I wasn't hitting it well. That makes a big difference. However, probably the biggest difference between the two rounds, apart from putting, was iron play, and that's down to me rather than the clubs (let's be honest, there's not that much difference between modern Mizuno MP-18s and old Ram Tour Grinds, apart from the lofts).

Conclusion: I want to take the persimmons out next time!