Rounds with a Vintage Bag

As promised, I have a short video here with some shots from the day Doug and I had. Hope you all enjoy.

I do also publish some public content on this channel, so feel free to subscribe if you're so inclined.

Thanks for posting that, & for your kind words. It was truly one of the most relaxing rounds I have had in a long time. Looking forward to our next trip there in a few weeks.

Saturday Baloo and I played 18 at Beaver Dam Country Club. It is a 6038 yd course with a 68.3/116 rating & slope. Built circa 1920 as a nine hole course, then expanded to 18 sometime later. The course is perfect for vintage play. Small greens that are fairly fast, some short par 4s, with par at 71.

We got off to a shaky start, but recovered after the first two holes. We went off between two foursomes, put some space between groups, and had a perfectly paced round.

Our vintage clubs were noticed as someone from the group behind us called us "purists" for playing persimmon. The course is a typical parkland style with an interesting mix of marshland & meadows which are typical in Wisconsin. I believe I found every water feature on the back nine which ballooned my overall score. But at least I broke 100, so I was pleased. A little bit of familiarity and better course management & I might have broke 90.

Maybe next time.

Low clouds and a nice breeze off of Beaver Dam Lake kept the temps reasonable until about the last four holes.

I played with an H&B laminated driver, persimmon 3, Wilson lam 4, lam 7, Wilson Arnold Palmer Shotmaker irons, Northwestern Thunderstick PW, generic sand wedge, and MacGregor bullseye style putter with a flange. Ball was the Wilson Zip, which apparently likes water. Although, my water excursions may have been caused by Baloo's jedi mind tricks. We'll never know.

Turns out that the course is almost exactly half way between Baloo and I, so I forsee more rounds there in the future. Actually, we will be playing again there hopefully by mid July since we worked out a couple of trades.

Pics to follow. All in all it was a very nice day. Thanks Baloo!

I like the part where the guys called you all "purists"--- Bet you guys shot better with the vintage gear than they did with the modern stuff----

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W-- Callaway RAZR-- Speeder 565 R Flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Cleveland Designed By 8802 style

Drives me nuts that I 'found' all you Vintage and Classical Play Wisconsin and general vicinity Guys after having moved to South Florida.

Not that I'm moving back and giving up my year around play mind you.

Well drag your butt up here and play with me. Got a PM from a WRXer named NixLix 26 he lives in my area and has some vintage stuff. He also has a hookup with some golf group in MB and we may interest more guys into playing vintage........ I can only hope

I like the part where the guys called you all "purists"--- Bet you guys shot better with the vintage gear than they did with the modern stuff----

Yeah, I did sneak a peak to their ball placement and they seemed to spend a fair amount of time in the trees. The best part was the drive that Kyle hit on the first hole. It was a rocket and way out there, and I think he used a three wood.

Drives me nuts that I 'found' all you Vintage and Classical Play Wisconsin and general vicinity Guys after having moved to South Florida.

Well drag your butt up here and play with me. Got a PM from a WRXer named NixLix 26 he lives in my area and has some vintage stuff. He also has a hookup with some golf group in MB and we may interest more guys into playing vintage........ I can only hope

I will see what I can do Stu. Fixed income without a lot of wiggle room but I'll see about driving up, playing the following day, then driving back. I know it would be a good time.

All Forged, all the time.
The Sets that see regular playing time...
67 Spalding Top-Flite Professional, Cleveland Classic Persimmon Driver, 3 & 4 Spalding Top-Flite Persimmon Woods, TPM Putter.
71 Wilson Staff Button Backs, Wilson System 3000 Persimmon Driver, 3 & 5 Woods, Wilson Sam Snead Pay-Off Putter.
95 Snake Eyes S&W Forged, Snake Eyes 600T Driver, Viper MS 18* & 21* Woods, 252 & 258 Vokeys, Golfsmith Zero Friction Putter.
2015 Wilson Staff FG Tour F5, TaylorMade Superfast Driver, 16.5* Fairway, & 21* Hybrid, Harmonized SW & LW, Tour Edge Feel2 Putter.

Today's round was played at Delray Beach GC... http://www.delraybea...lub.com/course/

Played the 67/68 Spalding Top Flite Professionals 2-PW, a Palmer FTD Sand Wedge (which worked well for me from rough, sand, and fairway,) Ping Eye 2 laminate Driver and 4 Wood, and #12 TPM Spalding Putter. Shot an 84 which I thought was solid. It could have been a good bit better but I still haven't gotten myself attuned to the putter and thus missed several scoring opportunities. Will give it another round or 2 to see if I can get the feel for it. If not I will go with one of my tried and trues.

All Forged, all the time.
The Sets that see regular playing time...
67 Spalding Top-Flite Professional, Cleveland Classic Persimmon Driver, 3 & 4 Spalding Top-Flite Persimmon Woods, TPM Putter.
71 Wilson Staff Button Backs, Wilson System 3000 Persimmon Driver, 3 & 5 Woods, Wilson Sam Snead Pay-Off Putter.
95 Snake Eyes S&W Forged, Snake Eyes 600T Driver, Viper MS 18* & 21* Woods, 252 & 258 Vokeys, Golfsmith Zero Friction Putter.
2015 Wilson Staff FG Tour F5, TaylorMade Superfast Driver, 16.5* Fairway, & 21* Hybrid, Harmonized SW & LW, Tour Edge Feel2 Putter.

Played in the Seniors event at Northamptionshire County today wit the same bag I used on Monday; Walter Hagen “The Haig laminated 1, 3 & 4 woods, JB Halley Tournament irons and a Leyland Ralph Moffitt putter but with the additioin of a Titleist persimmon 1 wood

I bogeyed the long opening par 4 hole but wasn't too disappointed with that, then had a good run of pars on the next 3 holes and another bogey. On the par 3 6th I pushed my tee shot into the rough and my dreadful short game saw me take three shots to put the ball in the bunker on the other side of the green! No score. Out in 16 points.

I was going well on the back nine but faltered a bit on 15, 16 and 17 with single pointers, then on the par 5 18th I was on the back fringe after 1 wood, 4 wood (first time I can remember reaching a par 5 in two since going all out vintage) but the hole was at the front and I three stabbed for par. Back in 16 for 32 total.

Winner in Div 2 scored 38 and I placed 15th out of 60 in Div 2 so not too bad. Course was in great condition and is due to be used for regional qualifying for The Open in 5 days time, I’m sure they’ll have speeded up the greens a little more by then.

It's not all about the score.

https://www.youtube.com/c/ClassicGolfClubs

Well done!

Do your vintage irons include wedges?

Would different wedges help your short game?

I play vintage wedges but my short game woes are mental, nothing to do with the clubs.

It's annoying as a few years ago it was one of the stronger parts of my play, I just need to get out and practice until I stop thinking loads of negative thoughts when I'm stood over a chip.

It's not all about the score.

https://www.youtube.com/c/ClassicGolfClubs

Likewise,it was why I played to 9 for a good period,up and down from anywhere off the green and now,instead of rolling 3 shots into 2 I'm turning 2 into 4!

Short of the 17th green in two yesterday,difficult chip from semi-rough over a bunker,practice swings great,nicely back,pause,then a blur of movement,head up,ball bladed through the back of the green where I repeated the whole sequence to finish on the side fringe and two putts for a 6 and one point.

Had a good chunter on the way to 18 and made par.

Back to the Wilson JPII methinks...

This was the bag for yesterdays round at my usual club, Hogan Apex II, Classic M85 Driver, 3, and 4 Woods, Spalding Cash-in putter went 42,46. Had some trouble on the back staying in it, got behind a group that was a little slow, and I was playing solo, just needed to keep my head in it. The course is Roanoke Country Club, 27 hole layout, played the Crabapple, and Redbud courses. https://www.roanokecountryclub.org

Have you gents read Raymond Floyds book "From 60 yards in"? Might help the shortgame woes.

Also, are you describing the Stableford scoring system?

Sounded like nice rounds. I'd love to play over there someday.

Thank you for the suggestion but I'm planning on this being a blip in form,the debacle on 17 was due to a poor lie,a strong wind....hang on a sec,I'll think of something else...oh yes,I swapped wedges,or at least I thought I had,I intended to swap 52 degree wedges but took out the 60 by mistake so had a bit of a shock when bunkered on the 3rd,two 52's!

Yes,Stableford scoring,very popular especially with high handicap golfers who receive two strokes on some holes,two of my team on Monday made 5 net 3 for 6 points on one hole which certainly helps the card.

I don't know if it is the most popular format,in Stratford-on-Avon the gang always played individual medal,in York we played better ball medal and over here on the east coast it's almost exclusively an am-am stableford which is ok when the team members play for each other.

It's infuriating when,as frequently happens,I lie 2 feet from the hole in three strokes,my partner is 12 feet away in three and receives a stroke and I offer to putt for par to leave him a free putt for birdie,the offer declined and they then lag to 8" and tap in with a smug " 5 for 4 " and their name appears on the card,so even though I played the hole decently the card doesn't tell the story.

There was a member in York who would rush to putt out first on every hole he could so that in the post-round chatter he could tell everyone how he outscored his partner!

Seniors' clutch on Monday,your £1 must be in by 09.45,I'll sign you in as my guest,don't be late!

This was the bag for yesterdays round at my usual club, Hogan Apex II, Classic M85 Driver, 3, and 4 Woods, Spalding Cash-in putter went 42,46. Had some trouble on the back staying in it, got behind a group that was a little slow, and I was playing solo, just needed to keep my head in it. The course is Roanoke Country Club, 27 hole layout, played the Crabapple, and Redbud courses. https://www.roanokecountryclub.org

Nice set up period--- I mean what's not to like Hogan Irons and Mac woods----What golf bag is that? Looks like a nice size not to big and not too little. If that course is in Roanoke Virginia I think I may have played it many moons ago but not sure. Roanoke Va is also a nice area of the country too except in the winter for me

I will see what I can do Stu. Fixed income without a lot of wiggle room but I'll see about driving up, playing the following day, then driving back. I know it would be a good time.

That fixed income part-- that is the one thing holding me back on retiring maybe next year-- I will not be but 62 and I have a pretty decent job for here. I may hold off a few years.

Nice set up period--- I mean what's not to like Hogan Irons and Mac woods----What golf bag is that? Looks like a nice size not to big and not too little. If that course is in Roanoke Virginia I think I may have played it many moons ago but not sure. Roanoke Va is also a nice area of the country too except in the winter for me

You're not joking. Absolutely beautiful set up. Looks like a modern Jones Original Bag.

Woke up at 3 AM and left at 4:20 for the Glacial Nine. Teed off at 4:45. Was 6 over after 7, and finished 9 over after 9, so it was a good round. All on clubs i have never played before, except for the putter and PW. 1, 3, & 4 were Wilson Arnold Palmer Shotmaker series laminated woods from my birthyear set. 1 & 3 turned out to be way too lite. Liked the 4.

Irons were Wilson Di9, 6 thru AW. PW was the Thunderchicken. Putter was Mac. Ball 1 was a Vice from baloo, ball 2 was a Wilson Zip. Really liked the Vice ball. Thanks agsin baloo!

When I teed off it was about 55 degrees. Yes, I was wearing shorts. Had 2 turkey encounters, and saw tracks in the traps.

Weird thing on 5. Hit one approach into the trap. When i got there, the ball was gone. Weird.

Had a nice morning. Going back tomorrow at sunrise with a more vintage bag. I'll have my Louisville persimmon driver, Mac 3 (first time), favorite Wilson 4 K28 wood, PB 2, 3, & 5 wood (all persimmon), a Laminated 7 wood, Thunderbird 3I, Wilson Billy Casper 5 & 7, Louisville Slugger 9I, Thunderbird PW, Generic SW, & Mac putter.

Posted a video on the YT channel from today. Just photos tomorrow. Want to concentrate on scoring, not selfies. No one wants to see my ugly mug or swing anyway. Yikes.

Hopefully I have the bugs worked out of the trolley. Pulled to the left all morning. Ironically, my push cart has a natural hook while my swing is a natural slice. Wish it were the other way around!

Played a double nine ( a nine at two different courses, back to back )this morning with two sets of clubs.

First 9 was at the home course, the Glacial Nine at Quit Qui Oc, and the second was at Crystal Lake GC (aka Sir Lancerlot, which I refuse to call it).

The vibe is completely different between the two courses. QQO is quiet & serene. CLGC is loud & obnoxious. Bags with Bluetooth speakers, lots of yelling, motorcarts full of 20 & 30 somethings with cup holders full of beer. And this by 8:30 on a Sunday morning. No guesses as to which is my preference. But, it was a nice morning, I felt pretty good, & I hadn't been there yet this year so I figured why not?

1st nine was with my previous mixed bag of vintage mismatched clubs. The second 9 was with an abbreviated set of Ping Eyes, Ping driver, & a PB 5 wood.

Had fun on both nines playing at my pace which is fast. Noticed how few were walking and how many young people were riding. Encountered turkeys & deer on the first 9, and Turkeys drinking beer on the 2nd.

Now I'm not against beer on the golf course, but I really dont like taverns masquerading as golf courses. I had been playing at the second course for many years, but after seeing nothing but groups of 5 & 6, along with the rowdiness, makes my decision to spend the majority of my time and money at the Glacial Nine an easy one. I'll just choose to play elsewhere, which I have to break to my longtime golf partner, who has been playing there for about 50 years. What has happened to that course is just sad. No way I would take kids there.

I posted a slide show on the YT channel, and will try to get a few pics up tomorrow.

Nice job with the YT channel, Doug! :good:

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa