Rounds with a Vintage Bag

T. Responding to your request: Wishing you a speedy recovery. Don't push it, listen to the Boss (a little), get right. Fiddle with some inventory while in recuperating mode. To hot to play at golf in FLA now anyways. Isn't it?

Was Florida weather (95*, 60%, 107 index) here yesterday. Played. Almost did me in. Guzzling water to stay hydrated, sweating it out just as fast. No thanks. To much hot for this Northern lad. I digress.

Hoping you will be back in action soon.

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

Man, that sucks Tim. I went through something somewhat similar late this spring just prior to the start of my men's league but was lucky enough to stay off the DL and play through it (with the Dr's blessing). Wishing you a speedy recovery!

Nickent 4DX Evolver 10.5*  UST Proforce V2 HL 60R

Innovex RLS 17* 4W    Fujikura Tour Platform 26.3 Tipped R

Orlimar Black Ti 22* 4H   Litespeed R

Adams A7 5-GW   UST Proforce 85R

Golfsmith/Spalding Cash-In 55/12 SW    Cleveland Action Lite S     

Cleveland TA 900 gunmetal 60*  Nicklaus Driveshaft R+

Slotline Raider Copper Cobalt 35"

or Ray Cook M1-A Austin  35"

Feeling better today. Wearing a compression elbow sleeve we picked up this morning. She's still watching me like a Hawk. Will take a few days and see how it looks/feels. Too hot??? I've acclimated and know how to stay hydrated.

Thanks guys. We'll see how it progresses.

All Forged, all the time.
The Sets that see regular playing time...
67 Spalding Top-Flite Professional, Cleveland Classic Persimmon Driver, 3 & 4 Spalding Top-Flite Persimmon Woods, TPM Putter.
71 Wilson Staff Button Backs, Wilson System 3000 Persimmon Driver, 3 & 5 Woods, Wilson Sam Snead Pay-Off Putter.
95 Snake Eyes S&W Forged, Snake Eyes 600T Driver, Viper MS 18* & 21* Woods, 252 & 258 Vokeys, Golfsmith Zero Friction Putter.
2015 Wilson Staff FG Tour F5, TaylorMade Superfast Driver, 16.5* Fairway, & 21* Hybrid, Harmonized SW & LW, Tour Edge Feel2 Putter.

I set my clubs against each other Wednesday in an epic dual between Macgregor DX2, and Staff tour blades. In an effort to make things interesting I complimented each set with matching woods, the Macs had DX2 persimmons, the Staffs had Strata Block laminates with the Staff designation. Filling out the bags for the Wilsons I had a Fluid Feel Sand wedge, and for the Macs a Penna wedge, all putts were made with a Spalding Cash-In.

The match was played at Wytheville Golf Club, and it was interesting. I hit the Macgregor woods much better than I hit the Staffs, and that was the difference. Both sets of irons performed as expected, the DX2s are very good clubs, and as I have noted before the Wilson Staff Tour Blades are great. I find both sets more accurate than my current modern gamers Cobra F7s. I love the Wilson Sand Wedge, if you have never tried one of these, buy one! The Penna wedge was suprising. It is very heavy, and on a pencil shaft, but it just plain works out of the sand. I hot a 86 with the Macs, and a 89 with the Wilsons. All of the difference was in the woods. Those DX woods, I think are mid 60's and while they are not lookers they just flat out play. I also had a M/T Tourney 4 wood in the bag with an aluminum insert. It was great as well. For what ever reason I could not make the Staff woods work as well, they still did O.K., but they tended to slice a bit more than the Macs, and were not quite as long. As with all the rounds I have played with classic woods, the fairway woods are every bit as long as my modern set. They don't launch the ball as high, but are very solid, and for me easier to swing as I can feel the weight of the club in my back swing. It was a great time, on a good course in terrible heat. Solid win for the Macs!! The DX2 irons are my current favorite in my Mac Stable. Also love the Burton bag that I got for $3.50. If you ever see a Burton buy it they last forever.

I thought I was the only one that did stuff like that carrying 2 bags and sets and playing one against the other. In fact I mentioned that on another thread just the other night. And you are 100% correct on Burton Bags I have several and will pick up any I find. Burton back in the day made bags for a lot of the major companies. Also Miller made a good bag too back in the day. Bags made in the good old USA back when pride and workmanship meant something

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W-- Callaway RAZR-- Speeder 565 R Flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Cleveland Designed By 8802 style

Guys! I’m so happy! Thanks to you all and your awesome posts I just completed my first classic 9hole round at even par!! (I was 2 under after 4 but then I started thinking about it.. this is my bag, if any of you got some info on the woods and putter year it would be very apreciated!

The feel of the apex II and the woods is unbelievable! Carry distance is more or less 2 clubs weak on the apex than my modern taylormade, I will measure loft and lie soon to check if the 5i apex loft match with my 7i speedblade loft.

This madness was born here, reading classic golf forum on golfwrx

Edit: Bag is: Driver: laminated Wilson 4300 year??

3w Titleist acushnet 1972?

5w walter hagen heig model 66430 year??

1-E hogan apex II white cameo year 1979?

Putter goudie mark II

Guys! I'm so happy! Thanks to you all and your awesome posts I just completed my first classic 9hole round at even par!! (I was 2 under after 4 but then I started thinking about it.. this is my bag, if any of you got some info on the woods and putter year it would be very apreciated!

The feel of the apex II and the woods is unbelievable! Carry distance is more or less 2 clubs weak on the apex than my modern taylormade, I will measure loft and lie soon to check if the 5i apex loft match with my 7i speedblade loft.

Putter goudie mark II

Congratulations on a super round and welcome to the "madness."

Just an older guy with 7 or 8 clubs and a MacKenzie Sunday Walker bag

Those Hogans just feel great dont they? Mine are a club shorter than modern, which is pretty standard as far as I can tell for late 70's to early 90's irons. I also have one of those Wilson drivers but have not hit it yet. Great round keep playing classics. I find I shoot the same either way now, and have more fun with the classic clubs. The only issue is the classic clubs have changed my game, now I play almost soley chips instead of high wedge shots into greens. It has made me more accurate, and if you mess up you still end up close to the green, instead of topping a wedge over the green.

Guys! I'm so happy! Thanks to you all and your awesome posts I just completed my first classic 9hole round at even par!! (I was 2 under after 4 but then I started thinking about it.. this is my bag, if any of you got some info on the woods and putter year it would be very apreciated!

Putter goudie mark II

Truly a Eastern North Carolina hustler set up from the 80s Mismatched woods and Hogan Cameo irons. Nice!!!

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W-- Callaway RAZR-- Speeder 565 R Flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Cleveland Designed By 8802 style

Guys! I’m so happy! Thanks to you all and your awesome posts I just completed my first classic 9hole round at even par!! (I was 2 under after 4 but then I started thinking about it.. this is my bag, if any of you got some info on the woods and putter year it would be very apreciated!

Putter goudie mark II

Very nice set up. Those Hogans are outstanding irons imo. You might want to find space for a sand wedge, though I do agree with the benefit of hitting more running chips when you can.

Quick Update:

Played a par 65 course (Colony West Glades in Tamarac) today with the Spalding set. Figured I could keep from swinging those too hard playing a short course. Wore the elbow compression sleeve. Shortened (even further) the backswing and focused on a smooth, clean swing. It worked. Played Bogie golf and although my elbow is a bit sore there's no pain. Will take another day or 2 and try again. Thanks for all the positive thoughts guys!

67 Spalding Top-Flite Professional, Cleveland Classic Persimmon Driver, 3 & 4 Spalding Top-Flite Persimmon Woods, TPM Putter.
71 Wilson Staff Button Backs, Wilson System 3000 Persimmon Driver, 3 & 5 Woods, Wilson Sam Snead Pay-Off Putter.
95 Snake Eyes S&W Forged, Snake Eyes 600T Driver, Viper MS 18* & 21* Woods, 252 & 258 Vokeys, Golfsmith Zero Friction Putter.
2015 Wilson Staff FG Tour F5, TaylorMade Superfast Driver, 16.5* Fairway, & 21* Hybrid, Harmonized SW & LW, Tour Edge Feel2 Putter.

Ike-

Glad you enjoyed it...

Need face shots of your woods to tell you the correct year.

All your woods have drill-thru shafts, which is good.

The Wilson 4300 is a Sporting Goods store line model, and that style "W" was a dead giveaway to the model. The 4300 is the length of the Driver.

The Titleist Wood is from the early '70s.

The Walter Hagen Haig Ultra 66340 model first appeared in the '60s, like '66, before the Aluminum shaft intro in '69.

What is the shaft flex of your Apex II irons?

What club do you use out of the Sand?

Changed 12 of my 14 clubs out of the bag for a quick 9 last night, and I'm glad I did. The 54 Spaldings suite me better than my Wilson irons. I've updated a putter Doug gave me and am happy with it. The greens at the course were impossibly slow though. Have some video I'll put together when I get some time.

Driver, 3W, 4W - Macgregor Custom Tourney
2-10 - 1954 Spalding Synchro Dyned
SW - Wilson Staff
Putter - Bullseye
Ball - Pro Plus

YT Channel - [url="https://www.youtube.com/PlayVintageGolf"]https://www.youtube....PlayVintageGolf[/url]

Changed 12 of my 14 clubs out of the bag for a quick 9 last night, and I'm glad I did. The 54 Spaldings suite me better than my Wilson irons. I've updated a putter Doug gave me and am happy with it. The greens at the course were impossibly slow though. Have some video I'll put together when I get some time.

So by updating the putter do you mean adding, subtracting, or removing the lead tape?

Love that bag btw! Ya'll should see it in person. It's very nice.

So by updating the putter do you mean adding, subtracting, or removing the lead tape?

Love that bag btw! Ya'll should see it in person. It's very nice.

I cut it down a bit and put a new grip on.

No lead tape on this one, but I do have another bullseye covered in the stuff. This one is pretty heavy as is.

SW - Wilson Staff
Putter - Bullseye
Ball - Pro Plus

YT Channel - [url="https://www.youtube.com/PlayVintageGolf"]https://www.youtube....PlayVintageGolf[/url]

Ike-

Glad you enjoyed it...

Need face shots of your woods to tell you the correct year.

All your woods have drill-thru shafts, which is good.

The Wilson 4300 is a Sporting Goods store line model, and that style "W" was a dead giveaway to the model. The 4300 is the length of the Driver.

The Titleist Wood is from the early '70s.

The Walter Hagen Haig Ultra 66340 model first appeared in the '60s, like '66, before the Aluminum shaft intro in '69.

What is the shaft flex of your Apex II irons?

What club do you use out of the Sand?

I'm sending you the faces of the woods as soon as I can!

actually I tried the equalizer but the result was quite poor, I might look for a sand for this set, after all I'm not using this bag for tournaments haha

Well it was a long weekend of tournament golf. Our member guest was played this weekend, and I played the Hogan Apex IIs for my best round of the year scoring a 78. I did use modern woods, and used my Reuter Bullseye. It was a great couple of days, and while I did not win, I enjoyed playing the vintage irons. Next year I might go vintage all the way, as I lose very little distance and enjoy playing with persimmon more.

• 2 weeks later...

Played 9 holes this morning with the MacGregor bag, had two pars from the middle tees and the rest one or two over. Course was in good order, longer than my usual place and the greens were very fast. Used W/S Duo balls and only lost one when I hooked it into the bushes. Family of kangaroos on the fringe of the 9th green - they don't take any notice of us golfers. Lovely easy-going morning, had a beer back at the car and then went home.

Current Bag:

TM R7 425 driver 11.5

Cleveland Launcher #4 wood

Cobra King Hyper Steel #7 wood

BB Heavenwood # 9 wood

Titlelst DCI Black O/S irons 7 8 9 W SW, Lovett chipper

McGregor putter

Titleist Tour Soft balls

Two part report but putting it all here as they intertwine.

I received and have played 4 rounds with my new modern W/S FG Tour F5 set. I have been very pleasantly surprised to how close the feel to my vintage clubs was but with a good bit more forgiveness. Decided I was very comfortable with them and that they were good to go for peak season so I "put them away" for latter and decided I needed to give my W/S Button Back set some love. Now I have played many rounds with these irons but this was the 1st round with these Persimmons, the R61 Sandy Andy, and the Sam Snead Pay-Off Putter. Wow. Just, wow. The Persimmons felt great and I was arrow straight with all of them all day. They are a good 20 yards shorter than my modern driver and fairway but who cares! I was amazed at how versatile the Sandy Andy was. No problems at all from the rough or fairway. It also performed well out of the sand. ;) The biggest surprise however was the SS Pay-Off putter. I was getting it close from off of the fringe, dropping everything inside of 6 feet and was blown away by the feel and how well I could control the pace with this putter. Almost makes me wonder why I bought a modern set... almost. Regardless, this will be set getting the majority of my rounds until October sometime when I will transition with my Snake Eyes S&W set until going to my modern set for Peak Season. Just an awesome day on the course with a good breeze mediating the heat, sunshine, clear fairways, and a 3 1/2 hour round that included several breaks, a lunch break, and golf ball "fishing" on a near empty course and out on my own. ~Sigh~ Hoping for a lot more like this before Silly Season gets here.

Keep Swinging,

Tim

Decided today was the day, I put my Ram persimmons back in the bag, with the recently acquired TW801 getting the call. I also decided it was time to play my Mizuno MS-11 set. They have PX 6.0, but I never quite got around to reshafting the 2 iron, which still has a soft stepped DGX. Put it in the bag anyway. Used my Mizuno TP Mills putter, and topped the whole experience with HT-100s. :)

Short game was complete junk the entire front nine, I leaked shots everywhere. Putting took a vacation as well. The driver was the star, however, I was once again quite straight. Even impressed the younger guys we were paired with, I'm not sure either of them had ever held a persimmon.

Wound up pulling things together a bit for the back nine, making a couple more pars with a birdie added for good measure. A smooth, consistent, and crowd pleasing 43-39, LOL.

Interesting thing, hitting wound balls with MS-11's is like hitting a marshmallow with a pillow. Even with PX shafts.

If I can screw up and shoot 82 (as a 7 hdcp), from back tees no less,maybe I should consider playing persimmons s a bit more often....

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

Must have been digitally channeling what you two were up to yesterday. Decided it was way past time to take classic wood and blade afield. Because I've been playing the modernist bag soooo well (not). Why try something different, for S & G. WITB: PB Citations D, 3, 5 woods. Mac M43 2 wood. Hogan Apex II (4 -E), modernized with FCM Rifle 5.5's. Hogan BeCu SI. Mac JN Muirfield putter. Hodgepodge of balls that I grabbed from another bag (couple of Wilson 50's felt the best).

Took a few holes to relearn how to hit a persimmon D. Slowing down the swing, positioning the ball more forward in the stance. Finally by the third hole, sorta had it figured out enough to hit some decent drives. Truth, mishits with persimmon are not as bad as one's with metal. Never got around to hitting the 2 wood off the tee, preferring to hit the driver. Tried the 2 from the short grass a couple of times, was a bit of a handful trying to elevate the ball.

Persimmon fairways are a marvelous thing. Hit a number of quality shots with the 3 and 5. Perfect trajectory, nice little controlled baby fade. One shot with the 3 was nutted and traveled ~ 200 yards. Stopping just short of the twosome couple playing in front of me. Didn't realize how close until I went over the hill and saw where the ball has topped. Went up and apologized, telling the gentleman I had no idea that I could hit that far with a wood wood. he acquired what I was using, showed him. And a had a brief conversation about playing persimmon. Primarily because it's fun every once and awhile.

Didn't really have any problem adapting to hitting the Apex II's. For whatever reason, they are setup quite nicely for my capabilities. Stood a little closer to the ball, positioning it slightly hosel side of center (the sweet spot on these Hogans seem to be slightly more towards the heel and not at all tolerant of toe strikes.) Dropped in a sweet 7 iron from 140'ish to 12' on a par 3. But missed the putt. Certainly are different than the usual Ping i20's. There is a sweetness to striking the ball that is not realized with the Pings.

Putting was abysmal. Could not make anything. From no distance control on long putts. Wave it around badly on short ones. Probably to significant of a transition from the current 370g mallet ("the fang") that I've been using the last month or better. Felt really light, difficulty with keeping the head square to the line during the stroke. Plus, never have putted very well with an 8802 style putter. Maybe the 'heavy blade' Bullseye for next time. Use that to practice with occasionally. Or the lead taped Ping Anser.

Didn't keep score. Likely not that much worst than a typically shoot, +/- 90 is the average (mostly due to a dreadful chip and pitch game). Was playing shoot and scoot golf, moving around on the course finding a path of least resistance from the others that were playing. Easy to survey the lay of the land on this course, being quite open with elevation. Do it all the time. Rather than following a slow foursome, will move to another hole that's open. When and where I can without disrupting another groups play. Course wasn't to busy on the day. Really enjoyed playing the classic sticks. Wish I had the courage to break them out for play in mixed company. But the fear of appearing the fool is strong. If I was to have a poor ball striking outing. Under pressure. Maybe the last event of my league, the 'fun' night scramble? Gotta practice.

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

Sweet looking kit Fella!!!

Indeed! Fella's photo conjured up a memory from last year where I brought out my Citations along with a half set of Golden Ram Tour Grinds one Saturday afternoon and proceeded to have one of the better games I had to that point.

When the swing co-operates and you're striping blades and persimmon It's about as pure an experience that I've had on a golf course. :golfer:

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

Doug and I played again and had a great time. He gets credit for listening to my complaining and not pushing me out of a moving cart. Seriously, hope it wasn't too bad, but I had some serious mental blocks out there today.

2 holes I over-clubbed which cost me 2 strokes on each. I took 3 shots to get out of the woods on another hole because I don't know how to take my medicine. Then there were a couple 3 putts and some other mental errors. I shot 80, but if I had a brain larger than a monkey I could have scored really well today. Something close to par, I was hitting the ball well and bombing my driver.

But, the course was again a real treat and Doug is great company. We'll probably get one more round in before the event in September.

SW - Wilson Staff
Putter - Bullseye
Ball - Pro Plus

Highlight of the round for me was a 30 foot putt I dropped from off the green out of short rough for birdie.

Also finished the round with a 3 iron to about 12 feet for an eagle try (which I missed).

Most memorable shot for Doug - wedged one to about 4 feet out of a really thick lie in the rough and having to go over a tree. He unfortunately missed the birdie try, but was a great approach.

SW - Wilson Staff
Putter - Bullseye
Ball - Pro Plus

Being Sunday down here at the bottom of the world, the collection of vinty clubs got a rare polish and exposure to Vitamin D.

Honma clubs in the Adams bag get a hit (14 of them) next week.

Current Bag:

TM R7 425 driver 11.5

Cleveland Launcher #4 wood

Cobra King Hyper Steel #7 wood

BB Heavenwood # 9 wood

Titlelst DCI Black O/S irons 7 8 9 W SW, Lovett chipper

McGregor putter

Titleist Tour Soft balls