Rounds with a Vintage Bag

Completed my 6 rounds on 6 different courses in 6 consecutive days today, playing different irons and putters each day with a mix of woods, some making repeat appearances. I've already posted days 1 and 2 above so here's a quick summation of the remaining four.

Day 3 - Our B vs C Team end of season friendly at my home course, Ullesthorpe GC.

Wilson 4300 1 & 3 laminated woods, Dunlop Maxfli Australian Blades, Max Faulkner "Avenger" PW, Slazenger Gary Player SW and a GT-400 putter, not sure who made this.

Me and my partner didin't play great but our opponents were on fire and gave us a 6 & 5 stuffing. The B Team won overall though (I was B Team)

Day 4 - Men's Invitation day at Pannal Golf Club near Harrogate.

Early Titleist 1 metalwood, Walter Hagen 1 & 4 laminated woods, Dunlop "Peter Thomson" irons, Spalding Cash-In putter.

Competition was 4 Ball Betterball Stableford, me and my partner scored reasonably and came in with 37 points in rainy weather, hence the metalwood.

Day 5 - Men's Invitation at Beau Desert Golf Club near Cannock, 4 Ball Betterball Stableford again.

Walter Hagen 1, 3 & 4 laminated woods, George Nicoll Pinspliiter Z irons, Craigton Neil Coles SW, Spalding Model W, Gold Medal putter.

This time me and my partner dovetailed very well and we came in with 42 points for 4th place. Even better was that I'd corrupted my partner into buying a set of old woods and irons and putter (Nicoll Maestro irons, hence my choice of Nicoll irons to match his). He wasn't brave enough to play the woods though and so played his modern driver and hybrids but even so a great result for vintage clubs!

Day 6 - A leisurely round at the delightful Enville Golf Club near Stourbridge on the Highgate course, if you're ever in the area try and play it, there are two courses and both are excellent.

Titleist 1 persimmon, Uniroyal "Arnold Palmer" 3 & 4 laminated woods, Slazenger Plus International irons, Craigton Neil Coles SW, Jack Berry "It-Sits" putter.

First nine I played reasonably but I think the 6 days started to catch up with me on the back nine and I finished on 92 gross net 80, 8 over handicap. But as my new motto goes, "It's not all about the score", and I had a great day in good company.

Man that sounds like so much fun. I have always been intrigued by you guys part of the world especially golf wise.

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W-- Callaway RAZR-- Speeder 565 R Flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* TT Sensicore S-400

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Cleveland Designed By 8802 style

Well I am going to type this now since I may be off line a few days. We have not made a final decision yet but I think we are sticking. We were going to go to Charlotte but I think this one is going to be like Hugo and just as bad up there. I do have the mini van gassed up and checked out. We have plenty of supplies if we stick or travel. Here we do have the generator a wood stove and a gas grille and a fish cooker for cooking. We have sat out 2 hurricanes here and this trailer sat through Hugo. I figured if something bad were to happen I would rather be at home. We are not really worried what will be will be.

On the golf thing and at this time it is a minimuscle thing I do not think I am going to do it. Packed both sets of clubs Saturday. The conforming set I did not do real good with. Had the Macs in the truck. I got them on the turn and played really good with them mainly had fun. I called my main backer Sunday and told him it was off I am staying retired comp wise. I am having too much fun playing the old stuff either with persimmon woods or metal woods. So the conforming set and staff bag are in the corner of the shop. May do something in the future with the MP-68s when I find some shafts I like in them but for now I am content playing my MacHogans or my 54 Precisions. Besides I think it will enthral too much practice to get my game back to that level if I ever could again

Well I am going to type this now since I may be off line a few days. We have not made a final decision yet but I think we are sticking. We were going to go to Charlotte but I think this one is going to be like Hugo and just as bad up there. I do have the mini van gassed up and checked out. We have plenty of supplies if we stick or travel. Here we do have the generator a wood stove and a gas grille and a fish cooker for cooking. We have sat out 2 hurricanes here and this trailer sat through Hugo. I figured if something bad were to happen I would rather be at home. We are not really worried what will be will be.

On the golf thing and at this time it is a minimuscle thing I do not think I am going to do it. Packed both sets of clubs Saturday. The conforming set I did not do real good with. Had the Macs in the truck. I got them on the turn and played really good with them mainly had fun. I called my main backer Sunday and told him it was off I am staying retired comp wise. I am having too much fun playing the old stuff either with persimmon woods or metal woods. So the conforming set and staff bag are in the corner of the shop. May do something in the future with the MP-68s when I find some shafts I like in them but for now I am content playing my MacHogans or my 54 Precisions. Besides I think it will enthral too much practice to get my game back to that level if I ever could again

Good luck with the weather Stu. Stay safe.

Man that sounds like so much fun. I have always been intrigued by you guys part of the world especially golf wise.

Thanks STU, if ever you get over here I'm sure that you'll find lots of UK WRXers happy to have a round with you.

And take care with the weather.

It's not all about the score.

https://www.youtube.com/c/ClassicGolfClubs

http://www.adultswim...assic-extended/

Some First Flight clubs featured here in a close up. See what else you can spot.

Spotted the copper faced Macs in "John Daly's" bag----- Funny--- I assume it was on Tv over there--- Got a kick that it was sponsored by a cigarette company

Thanks STU, if ever you get over here I'm sure that you'll find lots of UK WRXers happy to have a round with you.

And take care with the weather.

Thanks I would be more than honored to play with any of you WRX brothers from across the pond in your neck of your woods. Definitely on my bucket list or my lottery winner list. And of course I would be playing persimmon and blades

What is it about playing a Classic Set of Clubs that Calms My Mind and Soothes My Soul?

I played my modern W/S Set yesterday at a Championship Course and stunk up the joint. Couldn't do anything right and got so frustrated that I quit after the 12th hole as my back ached and my play reeked.

I decided to go out today on one of my favorite short courses, a par 65, to see if I could get my act together. Took my 71 W/S Button Backs. What a difference. I didn't tear it up but I was more settled and relaxed start to finish. I shot Par and Boogie with far more Boogies than Pars, and yet I enjoyed my round. The errors didn't knot me up. The great shots didn't leave me over confident.

Don't misunderstand me, I'm not giving up my modern clubs. I know that on most days on a longer course that I will shoot a better score with them. However, I honestly doubt that they will ever give me The Pure Joy Of The Game that my Vintage Sets do.

Keep Swinging,

Tim

P.S. To All Our Costal Carolina Brothers, Be Safe. We're all thinking of you.

All Forged, all the time.
The Sets that see regular playing time...
67 Spalding Top-Flite Professional, Cleveland Classic Persimmon Driver, 3 & 4 Spalding Top-Flite Persimmon Woods, TPM Putter.
71 Wilson Staff Button Backs, Wilson System 3000 Persimmon Driver, 3 & 5 Woods, Wilson Sam Snead Pay-Off Putter.
95 Snake Eyes S&W Forged, Snake Eyes 600T Driver, Viper MS 18* & 21* Woods, 252 & 258 Vokeys, Golfsmith Zero Friction Putter.
2015 Wilson Staff FG Tour F5, TaylorMade Superfast Driver, 16.5* Fairway, & 21* Hybrid, Harmonized SW & LW, Tour Edge Feel2 Putter.

What is it about playing a Classic Set of Clubs that Calms My Mind and Soothes My Soul?

I played my modern W/S Set yesterday at a Championship Course and stunk up the joint. Couldn't do anything right and got so frustrated that I quit after the 12th hole as my back ached and my play reeked.

I decided to go out today on one of my favorite short courses, a par 65, to see if I could get my act together. Took my 71 W/S Button Backs. What a difference. I didn't tear it up but I was more settled and relaxed start to finish. I shot Par and Boogie with far more Boogies than Pars, and yet I enjoyed my round. The errors didn't knot me up. The great shots didn't leave me over confident.

Don't misunderstand me, I'm not giving up my modern clubs. I know that on most days on a longer course that I will shoot a better score with them. However, I honestly doubt that they will ever give me The Pure Joy Of The Game that my Vintage Sets do.

Keep Swinging,

Tim

Ditto!

RE: Modern vs. Classic

I wonder if switching back and forth is a problem. This summer I played consecutive rounds at the same course with the same clubs and had noticeable improvement on the enjoyment scale. I think that is because I played the same shots each time, learned where and where not to hit them, learned more about the greens each time, and got my set whittled down to just the essential clubs. Went from a 50 to a 44 to below 40. Still haven't broken par, but I may be close. Not too many 9s left up here, and with my new schedule it will be difficult, but I am hopeful.

So I was thinking that it would be fun to start out with the moderns in the spring next season, then switch to vintage when it was warmer, then back to moderns in the fall. Assuming of course my body and schedule allow for it. Playing the same clubs on the same course should yield similar results. Switching too frequently would be detrimental.

What leads me to this conclusion is how the results translated to other courses when I did play them. With my modern set, once I broke 40, the results translated to the executive course and I played better there than ever. Which I should have expected to do based on the improvement I was seeing.

I don't know. Just some random thoughts....

Keep Swinging,

Tim

Ditto!

RE: Modern vs. Classic

I wonder if switching back and forth is a problem. This summer I played consecutive rounds at the same course with the same clubs and had noticeable improvement on the enjoyment scale. I think that is because I played the same shots each time, learned where and where not to hit them, learned more about the greens each time, and got my set whittled down to just the essential clubs. Went from a 50 to a 44 to below 40. Still haven't broken par, but I may be close. Not too many 9s left up here, and with my new schedule it will be difficult, but I am hopeful.

So I was thinking that it would be fun to start out with the moderns in the spring next season, then switch to vintage when it was warmer, then back to moderns in the fall. Assuming of course my body and schedule allow for it. Playing the same clubs on the same course should yield similar results. Switching too frequently would be detrimental.

What leads me to this conclusion is how the results translated to other courses when I did play them. With my modern set, once I broke 40, the results translated to the executive course and I played better there than ever. Which I should have expected to do based on the improvement I was seeing.

I don't know. Just some random thoughts....

I agree with you completely. If you want to give vintage a fair shake, you really have to play them almost exclusively. I feel like I give up nothing by doing so. I manage the course better, and drive the ball much, much straighter with persimmon. The only thing I've done is I've broken down and allowed myself a modern lob wedge. I feel like that was the only area that I was at a disadvantage with the vintage clubs.

It's fun to watch guy's you're playing against's tempo and rhythm go to complete $hit when they start reaching to keep up with the guy knocking it by them with persimmon. :-)

Played the last of this year's friendly 9 hole medal comps this evening, I've been scoring something rotten the last month or so so I thought I'd just take out a half set that I've only hit a couple of times and even then not for over a year.

The clubs are Greenway which from previous posts we best guessed were produced for Dick Greenway, club professional at Royal Colombo Golf Club, Sri Lanka. see links below:

http://www.golfwrx.c...0#entry16149822

https://www.top100go...e/royal-colombo

Anyway, I took out 6 clubs (3 wood, 3, 5, 7, wedge and putter) in a pencil bag that has two tiny pockets, one I could just about squeeze in some tees and a pitch mark fork, the other held up to four balls! The clubs are too short for me and the grips are thinner than I usually play, but what is this custom fitting malarkey anyway? Had no GPS either.

I just played within myself and managed to score a 2 over gross 37 and win the comp, the putter was the star and I holed a few 6 to 12 footers plus one 25 footer.

Not really a vintage or classic bag, as I had modern woods (OK, the 7w and 9w were V-steels, but still...), and the 54* wedge was a Callaway MD2, but I played with RAM Tour Grinds and an Wilson TPA XVIII putter today. The putter has been in the bag for the last 4~5 months, and will probably stay there for the foreseeable because it works well for me.

I won't blab on about each shot, but I will say how much I like pitching wedges that are around 50*. The old 8-club iron set (3-PW) left variety for extra clubs at the top or bottom. With a 46* or stronger PW in today's modern sets, most players have to buy a 50* wedge or even 48*, then go for an SW and LW. To me 46* was a 9i. With older lofts, the top end doesn't get too crowded and still can leave a 3i at around 21~22* (as a sort of driving iron...because I am nowhere near good enough to hit a 3i these days, and never really was back in the day when I fancied myself as a half decent player).

I forgot the mention. One of the people I played with today is an older gentleman who always brings some good stuff to show. Today, he was putting with a PING 1-A putter. I have no idea if it's an original or not but anyway, he putted pretty well with it, in particular holing 3 or 4 putts of good range. Along with that, the "PING!" sound was just beautiful. Nice putter.

Played the last of this year's friendly 9 hole medal comps this evening, I've been scoring something rotten the last month or so so I thought I'd just take out a half set that I've only hit a couple of times and even then not for over a year.

The clubs are Greenway which from previous posts we best guessed were produced for Dick Greenway, club professional at Royal Colombo Golf Club, Sri Lanka. see links below:

http://www.golfwrx.c...0#entry16149822

https://www.top100go...e/royal-colombo

Anyway, I took out 6 clubs (3 wood, 3, 5, 7, wedge and putter) in a pencil bag that has two tiny pockets, one I could just about squeeze in some tees and a pitch mark fork, the other held up to four balls! The clubs are too short for me and the grips are thinner than I usually play, but what is this custom fitting malarkey anyway? Had no GPS either.

I just played within myself and managed to score a 2 over gross 37 and win the comp, the putter was the star and I holed a few 6 to 12 footers plus one 25 footer.

Oh my! How did you manage???!?!!? No GPS? Only 4 balls? Incredible! Only 6 clubs? Who does that? Oh wait.....

Well done sir!

Played 18 today in hot, sunny, barely breezy conditions. Bag consisted of Ping Karsten II 3 wood, Powerbilt Grand Slam 7 wood, Northwestern Byron Nelson blades 3i, 5i, 7i, 9i, Northwestern Dual Wedge, and a mallet putter. Played really well including some of my best, straightest tee shots of the year.

Took a bit to get yardage dialed, but stuck some really nice 5i & 7i shots in pin high.

Honestly probably my most enjoyable round of the year.

Completed my 6 rounds on 6 different courses in 6 consecutive days today, playing different irons and putters each day with a mix of woods, some making repeat appearances. I've already posted days 1 and 2 above so here's a quick summation of the remaining four.

Day 3 - Our B vs C Team end of season friendly at my home course, Ullesthorpe GC.

Wilson 4300 1 & 3 laminated woods, Dunlop Maxfli Australian Blades, Max Faulkner "Avenger" PW, Slazenger Gary Player SW and a GT-400 putter, not sure who made this.

Me and my partner didin't play great but our opponents were on fire and gave us a 6 & 5 stuffing. The B Team won overall though (I was B Team)

Day 4 - Men's Invitation day at Pannal Golf Club near Harrogate.

Early Titleist 1 metalwood, Walter Hagen 1 & 4 laminated woods, Dunlop "Peter Thomson" irons, Spalding Cash-In putter.

Competition was 4 Ball Betterball Stableford, me and my partner scored reasonably and came in with 37 points in rainy weather, hence the metalwood.

Day 5 - Men's Invitation at Beau Desert Golf Club near Cannock, 4 Ball Betterball Stableford again.

Walter Hagen 1, 3 & 4 laminated woods, George Nicoll Pinspliiter Z irons, Craigton Neil Coles SW, Spalding Model W, Gold Medal putter.

This time me and my partner dovetailed very well and we came in with 42 points for 4th place. Even better was that I'd corrupted my partner into buying a set of old woods and irons and putter (Nicoll Maestro irons, hence my choice of Nicoll irons to match his). He wasn't brave enough to play the woods though and so played his modern driver and hybrids but even so a great result for vintage clubs!

Day 6 - A leisurely round at the delightful Enville Golf Club near Stourbridge on the Highgate course, if you're ever in the area try and play it, there are two courses and both are excellent.

Titleist 1 persimmon, Uniroyal "Arnold Palmer" 3 & 4 laminated woods, Slazenger Plus International irons, Craigton Neil Coles SW, Jack Berry "It-Sits" putter.

First nine I played reasonably but I think the 6 days started to catch up with me on the back nine and I finished on 92 gross net 80, 8 over handicap. But as my new motto goes, "It's not all about the score", and I had a great day in good company.

Some good courses there Jiggered very nice little 6 day excursion, and some good golf clubs to boot :)

Played with the relics once this season as my friend was playing with his.

It's something that we decided to do.

Pre-1980 clubs only.

Played the front in an absolutely abysmal 47. Highest score since a 48 in muddy April after winter hibernation.

He beat me with a nothing-to-write-home about 45.

I couldn't play the back nine because my hands were getting too swollen from the steel shafts.

I'd have been OK if I'd taken lasix, but then I'd be ducking behind trees every hole.

The old clubs are clearly less forgiving and harder to play, but nine holes isn't much of a sample size.

Except for the hand problem, I'm sure that a few rounds would have brought the scores closer to normal.

Titleist PT___13, 17, 20, 23º fwy wds (stock Titleist MG-307 graphite)
Mizuno Fli Hi___18º driving iron (Aldila NV Pro 105)
Titleist DCI 962___#s 5-9 (Aldila NV Pro 105)
Cleveland 588___49, 53º wedges (Aldila NV Pro 105).
Cleveland 691___58º wedge (Aldila NV Pro 105)
something from my bag of putters--they all suck.

Went out yesterday for a solo round, had the course basically to myself since the Georgia Bulldogs were playing on TV. I had that 'peaceful, easy feeling' from the first tee that the Eagles sang about. I wasn't thinking any swing thoughts for once, just kinda feeling my swing instead of thinking it. Anyway, I drove the ball great and putted really well, and ended up tying my best ever round with a 73. Actually had a birdie putt on 18 from about 12-14 feet that would have given me an even par round. My attempt burned the left edge but had too much speed to fall in. So that quest remains unfulfilled but certainly doesn't detract from what was my best round in several years.

Now, it wasn't a completely vintage bag. The irons were a set of '62 Hogan Power Thrusts 2-E with Hogan Precision sand wedge. But I used a modern, off brand long putter and three modern Hogan metals from the Callaway ownership period (circa 2006-08).

Ever since I took that Hogan titanium driver and cut it down to 44" (from 45.5") and added about 7 grams of lead tape to the crown it has been a beast. Its not that its so much longer than my persimmons but the length has been more consistent and I'm hitting it just dead straight. And it no longer baloons on me.

I've used it almost exclusively for the last six weeks or so, and I don't think I've ever had a more confidence in any driver before. Side note - I don't see any difference in the fairway metals vs persimmons, still prefer the wood woods, actually.

The modifying of the driver took place at the same time that I figured out a flaw in my backswing and I'd been wondering how much was the club and how much the swing change. So last Sunday I took out my old faithful MacGregor persimmons to see. I was indeed hitting them farther and straighter than before (because of the swing change) but my neighbor/regular-playing-partner agreed that while the modern driver was only about 10 yards longer when comparing best drives between it and the persimmon, the average distance was greater than that and the accuracy was better.

And that is a complete reversal for me. The whole reason I got back into persimmons 5 years ago was because I absolutely could not find a modern driver that I could control. Now I've found one that I feel like I can hit straighter than a 9 iron. Which is kinda cool. No, actually, that's really cool. Plus, bonus points cuz it says 'Hogan' on it.

The broomstick putter has been a revelation to me, also. I've messed around with them before and had intermittent success but never had any consistency like I have now. Not only is my short putting better but my lag putting has really been solid. That's always been the knock on long putters -- being able to control the distance. Anyway, I think the key for me right now is that the broomstick putter takes the left arm/hand completely out of the stroke. I made four birdies yesterday with zero 3-putts.

And if you play persimmon, you're my friend

Outstanding stuff, Holden. Seems lately like your course reports have been somewhat less frequent than in the past - but that makes amends nicely. Well done!

Thanks. From late 2015 thru 2016 I was in cubicle hell and my golf suffered greatly, both in quantity and quality. For 2017 I went back to contractor status working from home but still not playing much. Money can't buy happiness -- although it does help with greens' fees, I suppose.

It was about this time last year that I joined a golf course again and started playing more than 1x or 2x per month. And I have a terrific neighbor who is golf crazy and about the same age and skill level as myself. He also has twin 12 year old boys that golf. One is rather indifferent about it and only joins us occasionally, the other quite passionate and is always ready to play. This kid is really something. He's playing from the same tees as us (6200 +/- yards) already and if I'm not on top of my game he will beat me. It's also not uncommon for him to outdrive me. It's going to be a lot of fun watching this kid golf over the next so many years.

A fantastic late summer day at Notts Hollinwell today, entertaining a customer on the company so excellent value as well!

A course that has been on my must play list for a while now and it didn't let me down, one gorgeous hole after another, the weather was a perfect 18 or 20 degrees with a gentle sun and just enough wind to make it interesting.

Course details below for anybody interested, definitely the best course in the East Midlands.

https://www.nottsgol...se-tour/hole/1/

The course can be played to suit your game, blue tees 7,250 yards, par 72 SSS 76, white tees 6914 yards, par 72 SSS 75, yellow tees 6,619 yards par 72 SSS 73.

We opted to play from the yellow tees.

I was playing:

Peter Broadbent persimmon 1 wood with graphite shaft

Slazenger Powerthrust persimmon 2 Wood, I assume after the Ben Hogan contract ended as it has the Speedslot

Uniroyal Arnold Palmer 3 and 4 woods

Early 1960s Dunlop Peter Thomson 3 to W

Craigton Neil Coles SW (my favourite SW of all my clubs)

1930s Spalding Model W Gold Medal putter

I even started off scoring pretty well, out in 41, 5 over par and one under my handicap, the back nine I got into a few bad positions and the scoring fell off a cliff, not helped by two lost balls. Stableford for the round was 19 out 11 back for 30 total which I'm not going to grumble about. I also parred the stroke index 1 and 2 holes which was nice.

A fantastic late summer day at Notts Hollinwell today, entertaining a customer on the company so excellent value as well!

A course that has been on my must play list for a while now and it didn't let me down, one gorgeous hole after another, the weather was a perfect 18 or 20 degrees with a gentle sun and just enough wind to make it interesting.

Course details below for anybody interested, definitely the best course in the East Midlands.

The course can be played to suit your game, blue tees 7,250 yards, par 72 SSS 76, white tees 6914 yards, par 72 SSS 75, yellow tees 6,619 yards par 72 SSS 73.

Beautiful course, thanks for the link. Its a rare golf course anymore that makes use of 400 acres without being surrounded by a housing development.

6600 yards is a handful, especially with persimmons.

Beautiful course, thanks for the link. Its a rare golf course anymore that makes use of 400 acres without being surrounded by a housing development.

6600 yards is a handful, especially with persimmons.

I will agree 6600 is a handful with persimmon especially at my age and at sea level to boot. When we play persimmon here usually it is around 6200 to maybe 6400 depends on the course. A lot of courses here are difficult with vintage stuff (50s lofts) because of forced carries and my reduced swing speed. Certain courses I will make some changes at the top of the bag sometimes taking out the 3 and 4 irons and using a 5 and 6 wood. But I NEVER take out the 2 iron because I hit so many shots with it.

I was playing:

Peter Broadbent persimmon 1 wood with graphite shaft

Slazenger Powerthrust persimmon 2 Wood, I assume after the Ben Hogan contract ended as it has the Speedslot

Uniroyal Arnold Palmer 3 and 4 woods

Early 1960s Dunlop Peter Thomson 3 to W

Craigton Neil Coles SW (my favourite SW of all my clubs)

1930s Spalding Model W Gold Medal putter

I even started off scoring pretty well, out in 41, 5 over par and one under my handicap, the back nine I got into a few bad positions and the scoring fell off a cliff, not helped by two lost balls. Stableford for the round was 19 out 11 back for 30 total which I'm not going to grumble about. I also parred the stroke index 1 and 2 holes which was nice.

I am curious as to how your Customer reacted to your equipment choice and play?

All Forged, all the time.
The Sets that see regular playing time...
67 Spalding Top-Flite Professional, Cleveland Classic Persimmon Driver, 3 & 4 Spalding Top-Flite Persimmon Woods, TPM Putter.
71 Wilson Staff Button Backs, Wilson System 3000 Persimmon Driver, 3 & 5 Woods, Wilson Sam Snead Pay-Off Putter.
95 Snake Eyes S&W Forged, Snake Eyes 600T Driver, Viper MS 18* & 21* Woods, 252 & 258 Vokeys, Golfsmith Zero Friction Putter.
2015 Wilson Staff FG Tour F5, TaylorMade Superfast Driver, 16.5* Fairway, & 21* Hybrid, Harmonized SW & LW, Tour Edge Feel2 Putter.

First outing tomorrow with the percy and blades,

Peter Broadbent driver

Wilson graphite headed and shafted 5 wood

Wilson 2 and 4-pw bulletbacks 1972

Sandy andy

Ram 64 degree wedge to trim my eyebrows with

Ping scottsdale IVA putter

Jones bag to lug them round in. Cant wait!

I am curious as to how your Customer reacted to your equipment choice and play?

I'd already played with this particular customer this year so he knew what to expect, like most people he wasn't particularly curious about what I was playing. Even though the Spalding putter is a bit out there in appearance terms and the easiest club to notice it wasn't mentioned.

Unfortunately he was having a bit of an off day with his own game so I didn't talk about scores.

Yesterday was fun fun fun!! Bear and myself played vintage golf. I had mostly what I have listed in the vintage list. I did make a few changes. I had a couple of Izetts I had not hit which was a 4 and 5 wood. The putter I used was a ratty Anser i found in the building Lord only knows when and where i got it. The course was wet and it was raining on and off with wind because we have a cold front coming in. Bear was playing a set of Izett woods I gave him a couple of years back and he hits them well. I gave him the 925 Armours and he fell in love with them. I did get myself into a couple of jams trying to stretch the driver out some and had to get used to putting with a Anser again but it went pretty well. I do not hit the Izetts as good as I do some of my Mac FWs. Man o man that LRA Mac wedge fellow WRXer Djaid sent me is something else. One versatile wedge. Has 2 sandies yesterday and one hole out with it from the sand. I was a little rusty from not playing in some 3 weeks but managed to salvage an 81 Bear had played 2 times this week and shot 79. We got paired up with a couple of tourist golfers on the back side that were amazed that we were even attempting to play with 60 year old irons and persimmon woods. Bear has found out strictly vintage golf is a kick and is about ready to convert full time to it. Bear did give me a ration of crap (in good nature) over the LRA wedge since it is sorta new said I was cheating with that new of a club in the bag. funny thing was we lapped those two tourist golfers with the latest and greatest playing our rusty antiques

BTW --We had what my wife termed "The Battle of the Beer Bags" Bear had a modern style Yeungling stand bag he won some time back. In honor of that I went across the road and found a old Michelob Burton carry bag I won way back when and used it yesterday. That bag is where I found the ratty Anser. I figured it was sorta a omen. I had a little trouble with the Anser at first mainly because I have not putted with one in nearly 20 years and it is a little light and I had not brought any lead tape with me. I mainly putt with my Scotty Santa Fe (minimum offset) or one of my many 8802 style putters so I had to get used to the offset of the Anser

Yesterday was fun fun fun!! Bear and myself played vintage golf. I had mostly what I have listed in the vintage list. I did make a few changes. I had a couple of Izetts I had not hit which was a 4 and 5 wood. The putter I used was a ratty Anser i found in the building Lord only knows when and where i got it. The course was wet and it was raining on and off with wind because we have a cold front coming in. Bear was playing a set of Izett woods I gave him a couple of years back and he hits them well. I gave him the 925 Armours and he fell in love with them. I did get myself into a couple of jams trying to stretch the driver out some and had to get used to putting with a Anser again but it went pretty well. I do not hit the Izetts as good as I do some of my Mac FWs. Man o man that LRA Mac wedge fellow WRXer Djaid sent me is something else. One versatile wedge. Has 2 sandies yesterday and one hole out with it from the sand. I was a little rusty from not playing in some 3 weeks but managed to salvage an 81 Bear had played 2 times this week and shot 79. We got paired up with a couple of tourist golfers on the back side that were amazed that we were even attempting to play with 60 year old irons and persimmon woods. Bear has found out strictly vintage golf is a kick and is about ready to convert full time to it. Bear did give me a ration of crap (in good nature) over the LRA wedge since it is sorta new said I was cheating with that new of a club in the bag. funny thing was we lapped those two tourist golfers with the latest and greatest playing our rusty antiques

BTW --We had what my wife termed "The Battle of the Beer Bags" Bear had a modern style Yeungling stand bag he won some time back. In honor of that I went across the road and found a old Michelob Burton carry bag I won way back when and used it yesterday. That bag is where I found the ratty Anser. I figured it was sorta a omen. I had a little trouble with the Anser at first mainly because I have not putted with one in nearly 20 years and it is a little light and I had not brought any lead tape with me. I mainly putt with my Scotty Santa Fe (minimum offset) or one of my many 8802 style putters so I had to get used to the offset of the Anser

It sounds like you had a fun time Stu, although I'm a little puzzled that you didn't have any lead tape along with you... lol!

It sounds like you had a fun time Stu, although I'm a little puzzled that you didn't have any lead tape along with you... lol!

LOL what was really strange Bear did not have any either and neither one of us had any Ibuprofen either. Those two things are standard equipment for us. Trust me that got rectified last night