2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Rounds with a Vintage Bag

Last week, I played a course near me using persimmons and old irons (Ram Tour Grinds). The only modern club in the bag was a old model Vokey that I had just bought and wanted to try out. I shot 79 (posted about it in this thread, April 12th).

On Saturday, I played the same course in near identical conditions, same sort of temperatures and same sort of gentle breeze off the sea, using my modern set. The only old club in the bag was a Wilson TPA XVIII putter that I used in the previous round. I shot 86.

Now, to be fair to my modern set, my putting was awful on Saturday. Whereas the previous time I had made some decent par-save putts, this time I missed everything, and I mean everything. I missed 6 putts within 7ft on the front nine, and 5 within 8ft on the back nine.

So what's the takeaway? Well, I was definitely hitting my persimmon driver better than my modern one (Ping G400), but the Ping is pretty forgiving on mishits. I felt in more control with the persimmon, but was longer off the tee with the Ping even though I wasn't hitting it well. That makes a big difference. However, probably the biggest difference between the two rounds, apart from putting, was iron play, and that's down to me rather than the clubs (let's be honest, there's not that much difference between modern Mizuno MP-18s and old Ram Tour Grinds, apart from the lofts).

Conclusion: I want to take the persimmons out next time!

That's what my conclusion is. Played my modern set and shot a respectable 78 gross but I hit the irons awful, just putted like crenshaw on the back 9! It always happens but I went back to my beloved ping k3s from 81.....now I shot one worse with 79 but I didn't hole a bean but I was far more happier because I actually hit some lovely iron shots. My conclusion is that the pings are staying in the bag for a long time!

Last week, I played a course near me using persimmons and old irons (Ram Tour Grinds). The only modern club in the bag was a old model Vokey that I had just bought and wanted to try out. I shot 79 (posted about it in this thread, April 12th).

On Saturday, I played the same course in near identical conditions, same sort of temperatures and same sort of gentle breeze off the sea, using my modern set. The only old club in the bag was a Wilson TPA XVIII putter that I used in the previous round. I shot 86.

Now, to be fair to my modern set, my putting was awful on Saturday. Whereas the previous time I had made some decent par-save putts, this time I missed everything, and I mean everything. I missed 6 putts within 7ft on the front nine, and 5 within 8ft on the back nine.

So what's the takeaway? Well, I was definitely hitting my persimmon driver better than my modern one (Ping G400), but the Ping is pretty forgiving on mishits. I felt in more control with the persimmon, but was longer off the tee with the Ping even though I wasn't hitting it well. That makes a big difference. However, probably the biggest difference between the two rounds, apart from putting, was iron play, and that's down to me rather than the clubs (let's be honest, there's not that much difference between modern Mizuno MP-18s and old Ram Tour Grinds, apart from the lofts).

Conclusion: I want to take the persimmons out next time!

It would be interesting seeing how your tee game worked with your Ping driver set up similarly to your persimmon. Meaning, 43.5" or 44" at most long, with a heavy graphite or steel shaft. I think that's a large key to the tee game the golf public has been marketed away from.

Without something more direct, it's the classic apples and oranges. :)

Which is why I'm going to make a greater effort to use drivers at 43.5" this year, instead of only dabbling as I've done before now.

Only then will I know whether it's merely the club length and not inherent qualities in persimmons.

Probably fodder for a different thread, sorry...

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

It would be interesting seeing how your tee game worked with your Ping driver set up similarly to your persimmon. Meaning, 43.5" or 44" at most long, with a heavy graphite or steel shaft. I think that's a large key to the tee game the golf public has been marketed away from.

Which is why I'm going to make a greater effort to use drivers at 43.5" this year, instead of only dabbling as I've done before now.

Only then will I know whether it's merely the club length and not inherent qualities in persimmons.

I don't know much about the shaft in my Mizuno Blondie, but I do know that it's not that much shorter than the Ping shaft, 3/4 of an inch at most, maybe just 1/2 an inch. I do think it's stouter, and in all probability heavier.

I was actually fit first for a heavier shaft in my Ping (a 75g or so HZRDUS), but I thought that there was no way I could swing that through an entire round, especially in a hot and humid Japanese summer. Also, I like my shafts to have a few more vowels in their names.

Mind you, a shorter driver shaft may work for me. In fact, I'm pretty sure it would. I'm just not sure I want to spend the money on the experiment.

I don't know much about the shaft in my Mizuno Blondie, but I do know that it's not that much shorter than the Ping shaft, 3/4 of an inch at most, maybe just 1/2 an inch. I do think it's stouter, and in all probability heavier.

I was actually fit first for a heavier shaft in my Ping (a 75g or so HZRDUS), but I thought that there was no way I could swing that through an entire round, especially in a hot and humid Japanese summer. Also, I like my shafts to have a few more vowels in their names.

Mind you, a shorter driver shaft may work for me. In fact, I'm pretty sure it would. I'm just not sure I want to spend the money on the experiment.

Well, that pokes at least a small hole in my pseudo-theory, LOL.

I have a MacGregor M09T Jumbo reissue that someone had extended to 45". Found it at 2nd Swing quite a few years ago. Hitting a 45" club with that kind of shaft weight was interesting. :)

Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

Yesterday was 1 round and 2 different 9's. Played my Mizuno Set with a modern driver on a fairly long course. Glad I brought it as the gentleman from the couple I played with wanted to play one tee back from the men's forward tees. I was all over the place early hitting fade, draw, low, and high... and none of it timely or intentional! Because of a longer course and the tee box situation I was being forced to hit 3 wood as my 2nd shot on almost everything but the par 3's and it wasn't going well. Finally got frustrated enough with it that on the 9th hole (a long dog leg par 5) I went driver, scuffed 3 wood, and went to the 2 iron. Hit a light fade that kept me just under the tree limbs and caught the ridge in front of the green ending up on the far right side of the green pin high. Poor 1st putt cost me birdie but I was happy with par at that point. Went driver, 2 iron on all the long holes on the back 9 and turned the round around. My iron and wedge play had been solid from the go and got better on the back side. Birdied 2 par 4's on the back hitting on with my 2 iron rolling on instead of trying to fly something on. Missed a birdie putt on a par 5 after hitting a long bump and run on with my 5 iron from under some trees. Guy I played with said he'd never seen a 2 iron, sure had never played with anyone who used one, and complimented me on my iron play and telling me my blades were beautiful. That and my play on the back 9 made what had started as a crap round a great one even though my 18 hole score was nothing to brag about. Have to remember that if I'm not having fun I'm doing it wrong regardless of how I'm scoring.

Keep Swinging,

Tim

All Forged, all the time.
The Sets that see regular playing time...
67 Spalding Top-Flite Professional, Cleveland Classic Persimmon Driver, 3 & 4 Spalding Top-Flite Persimmon Woods, TPM Putter.
71 Wilson Staff Button Backs, Wilson System 3000 Persimmon Driver, 3 & 5 Woods, Wilson Sam Snead Pay-Off Putter.
95 Snake Eyes S&W Forged, Snake Eyes 600T Driver, Viper MS 18* & 21* Woods, 252 & 258 Vokeys, Golfsmith Zero Friction Putter.
2015 Wilson Staff FG Tour F5, TaylorMade Superfast Driver, 16.5* Fairway, & 21* Hybrid, Harmonized SW & LW, Tour Edge Feel2 Putter.

Tim I love that light fade low 2 iron run up. Stock part of my game. I can keep a 2 iron in play better than my 15* 3 or 4 wood or whatever you call it.

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W-- Callaway RAZR-- Speeder 565 R Flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Cleveland Designed By 8802 style

Finally glorious weather befitting April in the Lowcountry!!!

Took advantage of it yesterday afternoon and got out for a round of “free” golf. The boss made a phone call and got our foursome comped at a local course. Continuing to work part time in the industry does have it’s benefits.

Great weather, great company, great back nine.

I was hoping to play the Ben Sayers "Ray Floyd" irons in today's qualifying comp but as those who've read the rusty shafts thread will know, that it didn't quite work out as planned....

Instead I played my Ben Sayers "Silver Crest" irons with Walter Hagen "The Haig" laminated 1, 3 and 4 woods and a Spalding Cash-In putter.

The putter was red hot and I holed some bombs to finish on 34 points on a testing, windy day on a soft, wet course.

I finished 8th overall in a field of 93, if I'd holed a curling 6 footer on the 18th green I'd have come third and won my division, but can't complain as I made more than my share of putts!

It's not all about the score.

https://www.youtube.com/c/ClassicGolfClubs

Great round Jiggered and sweet looking irons!

67 Spalding Top-Flite Professional, Cleveland Classic Persimmon Driver, 3 & 4 Spalding Top-Flite Persimmon Woods, TPM Putter.
71 Wilson Staff Button Backs, Wilson System 3000 Persimmon Driver, 3 & 5 Woods, Wilson Sam Snead Pay-Off Putter.
95 Snake Eyes S&W Forged, Snake Eyes 600T Driver, Viper MS 18* & 21* Woods, 252 & 258 Vokeys, Golfsmith Zero Friction Putter.
2015 Wilson Staff FG Tour F5, TaylorMade Superfast Driver, 16.5* Fairway, & 21* Hybrid, Harmonized SW & LW, Tour Edge Feel2 Putter.

Stu would be proud of me today... I have been delinquent on my reshaft project, putting DGS in a set of Rams, and wanted to play something similar, flexwise.

So I dug out my Muirfields, which have Dynamic S. And lead taped, as the gods intended. 2-PW, a 58* Ram SW, my Golden Ram persimmon 3w, with a Maxfli Revolution 1 iron and TM R510 driver (at 43.5").

I guess I couldn't quite bring myself to play the new (to me) TW802 Golden Ram driver, since I'm still messing around with shorter metal wood club lengths.

Hit the Muirfields solidly, just with some directional impairment, so scoring was not quite ideal. Short game didn't quite cooperate either, except for a 40-50 ft putt for bogey on a par 5, after hitting a tree and bouncing OB. 81 (7 hdcp) feels respectable at this point.

3 wood was a treat. Blasted it a couple times. Rather enjoyed hitting it again.

In the "forgot to mention" category...

Today playing steel shafts was a departure from what I've done this season. Have been playing my Golden Rams with Aldila shafts, coming to feel they're a bit light for me. I've always played heavy shafts, dropping to 105g might be a bit much.

For now. ;)

Didn't say much about the Muirfields earlier.. they really were great. Was centering them most every shot, even long irons, hard to say much at that point. "They're great when you hit the sweet spot".... Um, duh? LOL

They *were* travelling a bit higher than I've been seeing with the Rams. Didn't hurt me at all, but it was a bit of a surprise. Even for a high ball player like MOI.

The Muirfield soles are underrated. Decent width, appear to have some bounce to them. Just don't expect much on extreme toe hits. LOL

My third qualifier of the year yesterday in the midweek medal.

Playing; Titleist persimmon 1W, Uniroyal "Arnold Palmer" laminated 3 & 4 woods, Swilken "Eric Brown" irons and a Leyland "Ralph Moffitt" putter.

http://www.golfwrx.c...0#entry16615260

http://www.golfwrx.c...0#entry16241428

Disaster on the 6th for a quintuple bogey 9 and a triple on the 8th looked to have done for me but a solid back nine for 88 gross nett 76 and CSS going up one meant I ended up buffering which was a nice surprise!

So that's three qualifiers in 2018 playing old school clubs and three buffers, much better than I was expecting!

I was about to start a new thread when I found this one. I am in the process of building and playing a vintage bag. I still have some of the irons I learned to play with in the 70's/80's and am putting a bag together around these. Powerbilt Citation 1/3/5 wood, Ping anser putter and my Spalding Bird on ball irons 1-pw. I am even going as far as buying a vintage Spalding bag like I used to play out of. I will post pictures soon

One question I do have for those of you who have already done this is, what golf ball should I put into play? Today's modern ball is a far cry from the tour balata and professional I used to play.

I was about to start a new thread when I found this one. I am in the process of building and playing a vintage bag. I still have some of the irons I learned to play with in the 70's/80's and am putting a bag together around these. Powerbilt Citation 1/3/5 wood, Ping anser putter and my Spalding Bird on ball irons 1-pw. I am even going as far as buying a vintage Spalding bag like I used to play out of. I will post pictures soon

One question I do have for those of you who have already done this is, what golf ball should I put into play? Today's modern ball is a far cry from the tour balata and professional I used to play.

I use Wilson Duo or Callaway Chrome Softs, and they work pretty well. Here are a couple of links to previous threads:

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1494616-best-modern-ball-for-laminated-driver-woods-and-forged-irons/

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1269838-ball-recomendation-for-persimmon/ (the first couple of posts may not be that helpful...)

Oops, forgot the best one:

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/881688-pinned-best-modern-balls-for-vintage-clubs/

I use Wilson Duo or Callaway Chrome Softs, and they work pretty well. Here are a couple of links to previous threads:

http://www.golfwrx.c...d-forged-irons/

http://www.golfwrx.c...-for-persimmon/ (the first couple of posts may not be that helpful...)

Oops, forgot the best one:

http://www.golfwrx.c...-vintage-clubs/

Muchas gracias mi amigo

I like the Srixon Soft Feel balls--- besides they are cheap at Wally World still $19.95 a dozen

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W-- Callaway RAZR-- Speeder 565 R Flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Cleveland Designed By 8802 style

• 2 weeks later...

No in depth report of a particular round. Instead what I wished to share with you is that I was able to play 3 rounds of golf over 3 consecutive days playing Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday. It wasn't my intent but because the weather has been so iffy over the last few weeks I was motivated to try to get out while the courses were open and had no more than a 90 degree rule for cart restrictions. I played my Mizunos (my transition set) in all 3 rounds and played solid if unspectacular golf each day. The big deal is that I was phsically capable of doing it! I played every one of the 54 holes and I haven't been able to do that in at least 15 years! Wet again today and we have errands and appointments today and tomorrow but I will try to get out again Saturday if the weather allows. I am certainly feeling stronger and it is obvious that the more I play the more I am able to play! Go Out and Hit It Guys!

Played yesterday evening in the 9 hole medal roll-up with the below clubs, apologies for posting links to previous pictures but my memory quota is all used up.

Tour Classic persimmon 1 & 3 woods. http://www.golfwrx.c...tach_id=4293540

JB Halley "Tournament" 3 to wedge. http://www.golfwrx.c...0#entry16381522

Jack Berry "It-Sits" putter. http://www.golfwrx.c...0#entry16803244

I'd been wanting to play the irons and putter since I got them some months back, had 18 with them on Tiesday evening and got on well so they stayed in the bag for another 9 holes yesterday.

I started slowly with bogey, par, double bogey, bogey but then had a nice run of birdie, par, birdie and finished with two more bogeys for a 4 over gross, nett 2 under which won me the roll-up and five DT Tusoft balls.

The irons played much better than I was expecting and have become one of my favourite sets for play as well as for looks.

The putter was, as expected, way too flat in the lie but I managed to get most putts started on the intended line. I had wondered if I might end up skying balls as the face height is so low but on the green this wasn't an issue, but putting one from the fringe with the ball sat up slightly I'm sure I got a bit of a skier!

It should be straight forward to bend it a little more upright and it will then find a regular place in the bag rotation. (I'm currently playing a different set each week :))

Hard to believe nobody is mentioning what I feel is the biggest difference comparing the game now to 30+ years ago is not so much the clubs, but the ball. I have watched my son play courses that I played in the early 80's and off the tee it is NOT in the same realm. On one par 5 in particular, I remember us getting our drives through this low area was the standard for being a "good drive" That same low area now is carried by 50-70yds now. I still have some beautiful Toney Penna persimmon drivers and 3w that I grew up playing. My son loves hitting them on the range for the sound.

Amazing that even with those clubs and the new ball distance is SO much further than those clubs time. The wound balls we played with spun so much, it had a larger effect on a lot of full shots and especially on windy days. On special occasions, he games the vintage Jones bag still. It would be an interesting comparison as well for someone to play some rounds with a balata wound Titleist and compare data. It is DIFFICULT to deem a ball unplayable now compared to us catching one thin and instantly having to take it out of play due to the smiley face on the ball. :)

Cowboys4_zpsa39b1f67.jpg

Hard to believe nobody is mentioning what I feel is the biggest difference comparing the game now to 30+ years ago is not so much the clubs, but the ball. I have watched my son play courses that I played in the early 80's and off the tee it is NOT in the same realm. On one par 5 in particular, I remember us getting our drives through this low area was the standard for being a "good drive" That same low area now is carried by 50-70yds now. I still have some beautiful Toney Penna persimmon drivers and 3w that I grew up playing. My son loves hitting them on the range for the sound.

Amazing that even with those clubs and the new ball distance is SO much further than those clubs time. The wound balls we played with spun so much, it had a larger effect on a lot of full shots and especially on windy days. On special occasions, he games the vintage Jones bag still. It would be an interesting comparison as well for someone to play some rounds with a balata wound Titleist and compare data. It is DIFFICULT to deem a ball unplayable now compared to us catching one thin and instantly having to take it out of play due to the smiley face on the ball. :)

Cowboys4_zpsa39b1f67.jpg

The older rubber wound balls, Penfold etc, were smaller than today's ones and they weren't too bad on distance considering the small head #1 persimmons of those days. Love your bag btw.

Current Bag:

TM R7 425 driver 11.5

Cleveland Launcher #4 wood

Cobra King Hyper Steel #7 wood

BB Heavenwood # 9 wood

Titlelst DCI Black O/S irons 7 8 9 W SW, Lovett chipper

McGregor putter

Titleist Tour Soft balls

No in depth report of a particular round. Instead what I wished to share with you is that I was able to play 3 rounds of golf over 3 consecutive days playing Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday. It wasn't my intent but because the weather has been so iffy over the last few weeks I was motivated to try to get out while the courses were open and had no more than a 90 degree rule for cart restrictions. I played my Mizunos (my transition set) in all 3 rounds and played solid if unspectacular golf each day. The big deal is that I was phsically capable of doing it! I played every one of the 54 holes and I haven't been able to do that in at least 15 years! Wet again today and we have errands and appointments today and tomorrow but I will try to get out again Saturday if the weather allows. I am certainly feeling stronger and it is obvious that the more I play the more I am able to play! Go Out and Hit It Guys!

Took 2 days off and did it again. Played Sat, Sun, and Mon. with my Mizuno set with the 'white driver' and using Maxfli Softfli balls. Monday's round I shot my best score of the year so far with a 6 over 71 on a par 65!

Took 2 days off and did it again. Played Sat, Sun, and Mon. with my Mizuno set with the 'white driver' and using Maxfli Softfli balls. Monday's round I shot my best score of the year so far with a 6 over 71 on a par 65!

Well, you're an inspiration to me, Tim! I don't know how you do it with back trouble. I'm just hoping to be able to play again this year, even 9 holes a week would be good at this point, but it seems to be a long way off for me. :(

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

I feel for you Sco. I am fortunate to have found a way to swing where I'm turning as a unit and not twisting and hurting my low back. I've found a way to make it work and believe me, I'm thankful. I hope you gain some relief and figure something out for yourself my friend.

I feel for you Sco. I am fortunate to have found a way to swing where I'm turning as a unit and not twisting and hurting my low back. I've found a way to make it work and believe me, I'm thankful. I hope you gain some relief and figure something out for yourself my friend.

One way to ease pressure on the lower back when swinging is to wear shoes with smooth soles instead of spikes, these allow the bottom half to swivel towards the target instead of twisting the spine. It takes practice to use the arms more to compensate, but it does work.

If I used spikes today I wouldn't last 4 holes.

Current Bag:

TM R7 425 driver 11.5

Cleveland Launcher #4 wood

Cobra King Hyper Steel #7 wood

BB Heavenwood # 9 wood

Titlelst DCI Black O/S irons 7 8 9 W SW, Lovett chipper

McGregor putter

Titleist Tour Soft balls

Thanks for all the positive suggestions fellas. I've looked into adopting a modified swing a la Ballard or the method being taught by Julian Mellor that I ran across on YouTube. I've been trying it out here and there just swinging a club and maybe hitting a handful of balls, but there's always been some discomfort that followed those first steps later in the day or the following day. My one lone nine hole outing back in April set me back at least a week if not more as my current recovery period is now dragging on over three months. I swung a club yesterday a bit and I'm feeling it this morning. Still not ready so we'll give it another month. You become very tentative about doing anything because you don't want to aggravate the situation. I'm basically left to figure this out on my own with some guidance from my medical practitioners such is the case of dealing with degenerating discs and osteoarthritis. Exercise, pain management and activity modification are the MO for my situation.

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

Thanks for all the positive suggestions fellas. I've looked into adopting a modified swing a la Ballard or the method being taught by Julian Mellor that I ran across on YouTube. I've been trying it out here and there just swinging a club and maybe hitting a handful of balls, but there's always been some discomfort that followed those first steps later in the day or the following day. My one lone nine hole outing back in April set me back at least a week if not more as my current recovery period is now dragging on over three months. I swung a club yesterday a bit and I'm feeling it this morning. Still not ready so we'll give it another month. You become very tentative about doing anything because you don't want to aggravate the situation. I'm basically left to figure this out on my own with some guidance from my medical practitioners such is the case of dealing with degenerating discs and osteoarthritis. Exercise, pain management and activity modification are the MO for my situation.

I too feel your pain, and wish you a steady recovery. As it is for me, it is now June and I have yet to set foot on a golf course. I have also adopted some of the techniques that you mention above. I find something as simple as pulling on the starting cord of a string trimmer sets me back a few days with puff hands and sore joints. So I get it.

I think Julian's method is quite good. Also studying the swings of players of old using vintage equipment, and noticing how much movement there was, with the possible exception of the head, I am trying to adopt some of their fluidity. The advice I was given is "the more you move, the better you will feel in the long run". So far that is what I have been trying to do. Also have coming "Classical Stretch" dvd set. Can't hurt (figuratively), so we'll give that a go.

Again, I wish you well, and hope you are able to hit the links soon.