Rounds with a Vintage Bag

Welcome to the Buttonback world. Still my go to for the majority of the time. I really like the shafts in them as well. So much so that I am thinking of taking shafts from a '74 set with the weights and hitching them up to some fg-17 heads.

OsR, now, what is the steel that's in the early models (mine being the "reissue" late model, heck they got nothing more than modern TT DG S300) ? you and TimV must have something more similar.

OS - The 74 WS are the Screw Back heads (73-75) good clubs which I also have and play but just got bumped by the 71-72 Button Backs.

All Forged, all the time.
The Sets that see regular playing time...
67 Spalding Top-Flite Professional, Cleveland Classic Persimmon Driver, 3 & 4 Spalding Top-Flite Persimmon Woods, TPM Putter.
71 Wilson Staff Button Backs, Wilson System 3000 Persimmon Driver, 3 & 5 Woods, Wilson Sam Snead Pay-Off Putter.
95 Snake Eyes S&W Forged, Snake Eyes 600T Driver, Viper MS 18* & 21* Woods, 252 & 258 Vokeys, Golfsmith Zero Friction Putter.
2015 Wilson Staff FG Tour F5, TaylorMade Superfast Driver, 16.5* Fairway, & 21* Hybrid, Harmonized SW & LW, Tour Edge Feel2 Putter.

KLP - High Carbon Forged Steel. I'm sure yours are very similar but the steel mix and forging might be slightly different.

Yours are just beautiful though and I'm sure they are as good as any forged club being produced today. Mine aren't nearly as pretty but are in great condition with very little scratching and only one small chip that I was able to cold forge and reduce.

67 Spalding Top-Flite Professional, Cleveland Classic Persimmon Driver, 3 & 4 Spalding Top-Flite Persimmon Woods, TPM Putter.
71 Wilson Staff Button Backs, Wilson System 3000 Persimmon Driver, 3 & 5 Woods, Wilson Sam Snead Pay-Off Putter.
95 Snake Eyes S&W Forged, Snake Eyes 600T Driver, Viper MS 18* & 21* Woods, 252 & 258 Vokeys, Golfsmith Zero Friction Putter.
2015 Wilson Staff FG Tour F5, TaylorMade Superfast Driver, 16.5* Fairway, & 21* Hybrid, Harmonized SW & LW, Tour Edge Feel2 Putter.

KLP - High Carbon Forged Steel. I'm sure yours are very similar but the steel mix and forging might be slightly different.

no amigo, you have a bit of confusion on my question. what kind of steel shafts do the originals have in them that OsR is so high on? were they a True Temper, some kind of special weight, step pattern?

That I don't know. My shaft bands which are all intact simply say Ultralite. They do feel good though.

That I don't know. My shaft bands which are all intact simply say Ultralite. They do feel good though.

My '71-'72 Buttonbacks have Wilson Ultralite R shafts also with the narrow black shaft band just below the first step. The Kaplan book does not state who manufactured these shafts.

CHASING CLASSIC CLUBS

Played my Mizuno Cimarron bag yesterday. Played with 3 strangers. I rode with Jack, a pleasant gentleman a few years older than me. We played with Tom the grandfather of Dan who I'm guessing was around 18 to 20 years old. Interestingly enough although all three hit the ball considerably farther than I did Dan and I tied for birdies and I had the most pars. The young man was interested in my bag as I was in his as he was playing a Nike Progressive set that was all forged and 7 iron down were pure blades. Young man had a beautiful swing but some control issues and showed inexperience in his shot and club selection. He was very pleasant (as was his Grandfather and Jack) and curious about my clubs. We talked about some of my collection and what I enjoyed playing and why. He was floored by what I was doing with my Chico's Tomahawk Putter and that although I wasn't hitting nearly as far as he was that my shots consistently went where I wanted them to. At hole 15 (a 145 yard par 3) I said "Yes you can." He asked 'what?' I told him Yes you can hit one of my irons. He was thrilled. Even more so after his shot with my irons landed within 7 foot of the cup where his original tee shot with his own had been short / right. Don't know if I made a young convert but certainly gave the young man something to think about. It was certainly a most pleasant day for me.

Sounds like an ideal day on the golf course, Tim! You made some new friends and perhaps have found yourself a young apprentice to the ways of vintage golf. :good:

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

Played a vintage round today with an old Greban bag (complete with tubes, sorry!) containing:

• Cypress Point "Long-Flite" polymer 1, 3 & 4 woods, (a buy from Blade Junkie earlier in the year) ideal for when it's damp and you don't want to get your proper woods wet.
  • John Letters "Gary Player" Master Model irons 3 to 10 with a Dunlop Peter Thomson SW
  • And first time out for a JB Halley Model 100 putter.

A bit of fog for the first few holes but soon lifted and we had a really nice day, even wearing shirt sleeves for a couple of holes, and that the day after the shortest day of the year!

Even better, I had my best scoring round of the year for a 5 over par, 77 gross net 65, for 43 points Stableford.

Slightly short winter course but all main greens apart from two temps.

27 putts with quite a few shots just missing the green leaving makeable chip and single putts.

Just trying to swing smooth and hit the sweet spot, a couple of good breaks as typical in a good round, 5 bogeys and no doubles.

Took the roll up money too which was nice as everyone else was playing modern gear!

It's not all about the score.

https://www.youtube.com/c/ClassicGolfClubs

Played a vintage round today with an old Greban bag (complete with tubes, sorry!) containing:

• Cypress Point "Long-Flite" polymer 1, 3 & 4 woods, (a buy from Blade Junkie earlier in the year) ideal for when it's damp and you don't want to get your proper woods wet.
  • John Letters "Gary Player" Master Model irons 3 to 10 with a Dunlop Peter Thomson SW
  • And first time out for a JB Halley Model 100 putter.

A bit of fog for the first few holes but soon lifted and we had a really nice day, even wearing shirt sleeves for a couple of holes, and that the day after the shortest day of the year!

Even better, I had my best scoring round of the year for a 5 over par, 77 gross net 65, for 43 points Stableford.

Slightly short winter course but all main greens apart from two temps.

27 putts with quite a few shots just missing the green leaving makeable chip and single putts.

Just trying to swing smooth and hit the sweet spot, a couple of good breaks as typical in a good round, 5 bogeys and no doubles.

Took the roll up money too which was nice as everyone else was playing modern gear!

Well done Nick. Great play !

I guess I sold you those woods too cheap then LOL ... :)

[i]"Don't play too much golf ... two rounds a day are plenty" [/i]

[b]Harry Vardon[/b] (1870-1937)

Went back to playing laminates with my 85 Mizuno set. Ping Zing Driver and Royal 4 Wood. Par and Boogie today. Played by myself. Fast and well. I've now put two solid rounds together in a row and hoping I'm back on the upswing.

• 2 weeks later...

Will be in Orlando Late March for 7 days, anybody up for a round with a vintage bag? It be great to meet up with one of you and play some classic golf in the warm sun and great conditions.

Not interested in running up to Orlando but let me know if you decide to venture down to West Palm, Boca Raton, or the Fort Lauderdale area. My wife and I both played vintage sets yesterday!

Finally took the classic bag out for a round today. Last minute getting a tee time since the wife's plans fell through for Saturday. I really didn't want to play the Hickory's since I have a modern round Sunday to play.Takes me about a round or two changing between Hickory and modern. So I compromised with the much neglected WS Button Backs and the laminate woods. First time in the bag today was the WS 8802 i picked up last fall.

The course is only 5010 yards and I really don't think the modern clubs would be much fun. It is a good course for the Hickory set. It was in the mid 50's misty and damp and no roll out. Rained most of the week. I really surprised myself with the 8802, warming up I couldn't hit nothing. During the round the round different story. Book ended the back 9 with 2 birdies. Finished the round +8 and happy with 29 putts overall.

I will have to make a conscious effort to play this setup more often.

Jimmy B

Finally took the classic bag out for a round today. Last minute getting a tee time since the wife's plans fell through for Saturday. I really didn't want to play the Hickory's since I have a modern round Sunday to play.Takes me about a round or two changing between Hickory and modern. So I compromised with the much neglected WS Button Backs and the laminate woods. First time in the bag today was the WS 8802 i picked up last fall.

The course is only 5010 yards and I really don't think the modern clubs would be much fun. It is a good course for the Hickory set. It was in the mid 50's misty and damp and no roll out. Rained most of the week. I really surprised myself with the 8802, warming up I couldn't hit nothing. During the round the round different story. Book ended the back 9 with 2 birdies. Finished the round +8 and happy with 29 putts overall.

I will have to make a conscious effort to play this setup more often.

Jimmy B

Jimmy,

Beautiful set of irons!

CHASING CLASSIC CLUBS

Well I may step off in it today. I am putting the Hogan Grinds in the bag for today's round. We are playing at World Tour Golf Links which is one of the few courses here I have never played. Looked it up on the computer and it is not that long. It is a course made up of holes from famous courses. I figured the Hogans would fit in nicely. Besides I have been itching to play them since I reworked and set them for me. Not all vintage though. The metals and hybrids in my signature will be in the bag. Now I did drop the gap wedge (Vokey) since the Hogan E wedge will be in there and of course "Rusty" will stay too

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Rusty 1997 Scottie Santa Fe-- Fluted Bulls Eye Shaft

Well I may step off in it today. I am putting the Hogan Grinds in the bag for today's round. We are playing at World Tour Golf Links which is one of the few courses here I have never played. Looked it up on the computer and it is not that long. It is a course made up of holes from famous courses. I figured the Hogans would fit in nicely. Besides I have been itching to play them since I reworked and set them for me. Not all vintage though. The metals and hybrids in my signature will be in the bag. Now I did drop the gap wedge (Vokey) since the Hogan E wedge will be in there and of course "Rusty" will stay too

Stu,

I need a blow by blow report!

CHASING CLASSIC CLUBS

Stu,

I need a blow by blow report!

Ok old buddy you asked for it and here it is

It was brutally cold and the course wet as in CPO. This course is compromised of holes from famous courses from around the world and even though the yardage is short the course is hard. Good example hole #3 is a replica of 17 at Sawgrass. Now on the real Sawgrass about 12 years ago I did hit a Mac 9 iron. Now yesterday With the wind blowing in my face I hit an 8. The ball really ballooned up and plop in the drink. Reload with the 7 iron and it did the same thing. Well heck I thought it may be the ball since I was playing a Vice Pro and had never played it in the wind. I did use a Chrome Soft and hit the 6 to be sure. Hit it high as heck too but it got there. Seems that for some reason I am hitting those #4 Apex shafts high as heck. On a couple of holes with the wind died down I hit the 5 iron and man did it go high. Believe it or not I hit the 3 iron on the last hole and the wind had died and heck I hit it good but high as heck. Seems to me I am hitting these irons high as heck which puzzles me since I bent them 2* strong on loft. I think I need to play them again when it warms up and not as windy. I even hit them high with a light breeze at my back even hooding the face down and playing it back in my stance. Actually I hit a punch 5 iron hooded down off my back foot and it went high. Bear asked what I hit and I told him. He thought I had maybe gotten stupid in that situation and hit a 7 iron. I do not hit my old VIPs with the S-300 high launch soft tipped 1X as high as I hit those. I like the way they feel but they are balooning so high I am loosing distance. I know one thing I can spin the crap out of them even the 5 iron checked up and spun back on one approach with no wind in my face. Hogan experts I do need some input here

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Rusty 1997 Scottie Santa Fe-- Fluted Bulls Eye Shaft

Rounds with a vintage bag...well, almost. I cheated, but what the hell, I am going to post anyway.

Shot 75 last Sunday with these babies.

I took my modern Callaway driver and Steelhead III 4 wood. The course was 6600 yards so I thought the heavy artillery needed to be employed. In addition to the Daiwas 3-9, I carried a Hogan sand wedge (Redline) and a Bullseye putter. I acquired these irons from Tim because my right elbow has been in such a state that, despite my misgivings, I just had to go to graphite. Glad I did, thevshaft in the Advisors seemed just right for me, Daiwa stiff graphite (don’t know who actually made them). The clubs were famously designed by David Graham back around 1990 I believe. Really terrific clubs.

Driver 10.5 Taylor Made Burner 2.0
Ping 3 and 7 woods
Component 5 and 6 hybrids
and 8 and 9 irons (SGI)

Scratch 47 degree PW

Alpha SW

All graphite shafts
Putter: uh, I have a few

Rounds with a vintage bag...well, almost. I cheated, but what the hell, I am going to post anyway.

I took my modern Callaway driver and Steelhead III 4 wood. The course was 6600 yards so I thought the heavy artillery needed to be employed. In addition to the Daiwas 3-9, I carried a Hogan sand wedge (Redline) and a Bullseye putter. I acquired these irons from Tim because my right elbow has been in such a state that, despite my misgivings, I just had to go to graphite. Glad I did, thevshaft in the Advisors seemed just right for me, Daiwa stiff graphite (don't know who actually made them). The clubs were famously designed by David Graham back around 1990 I believe. Really terrific clubs.

Daiwa made some awesome sticks back in those days. They really took the graphite shaft "mainstream" back then. I think they made all their own stuff because they were so heavily invested in the fishing industry. And double thumbs up on the David Graham reference. People don't realize that he was a true pro's pro. The guy could play but he also was a helluva club designer. I believe he used to help design irons for Macgregor back in their heyday. BIGSTU could probably confirm that.

Cobra F9 Driver 10.5 UST ProForce V2 HL 5F4 46"

Tour Edge Exotic EXS 220 16.5* UST ProForce V2 HL 6F4 44"

Cobra Amp Cell 5-7 fairway (set to 20*) Fujikura Fuel 60g S 43"

Maltby TS3 4-P Elevate MPH 95 +1"

Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 50*, 54* & 58* Apollo Matchflex Wedge 36.25"

Cleveland Classic Collection #10 35"

I took my modern Callaway driver and Steelhead III 4 wood. The course was 6600 yards so I thought the heavy artillery needed to be employed. In addition to the Daiwas 3-9, I carried a Hogan sand wedge (Redline) and a Bullseye putter. I acquired these irons from Tim because my right elbow has been in such a state that, despite my misgivings, I just had to go to graphite. Glad I did, thevshaft in the Advisors seemed just right for me, Daiwa stiff graphite (don't know who actually made them). The clubs were famously designed by David Graham back around 1990 I believe. Really terrific clubs.

Daiwa made some awesome sticks back in those days. They really took the graphite shaft "mainstream" back then. I think they made all their own stuff because they were so heavily invested in the fishing industry. And double thumbs up on the David Graham reference. People don't realize that he was a true pro's pro. The guy could play but he also was a helluva club designer. I believe he used to help design irons for Macgregor back in their heyday. BIGSTU could probably confirm that.

Arch,

David Graham did design clubs for MacGregor during the '70s & '80s.

CHASING CLASSIC CLUBS

Yes, when I picked these irons up from Tim (Teevons) he told me the Daiwa were quite expensive when they came out. Sort of like the PXG of the 80s/90s.

I notice you’re from Herrin, Bigarch. Well, we have something in common, my friend. I grew up in Mt. Carmel, IL just east of you, and I was born in Christopher. I live in Calif. now but go home every summer. You don’t run into Southern Illiniosans every day. Fancy meeting you here.

Driver 10.5 Taylor Made Burner 2.0
Ping 3 and 7 woods
Component 5 and 6 hybrids
and 8 and 9 irons (SGI)

Scratch 47 degree PW

Alpha SW

All graphite shafts
Putter: uh, I have a few