2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

JDM Drivers vs US Drivers

craniac76

you can get great value Chinese made heads when buying USdm that perform almost the same as JDM drivers that will look sound and feel way better and be of significantly higher quality but also be way more expensive and not necessarily be longer...

do u want something affordable that should be thrown away in 5 years or do you want a real piece that will be enjoyed for a decade? u get what u pay for...I don't buy JDM for the value or performance, I buy it cause it is better made, feels and sounds better and enhances my enjoyment of the game.

if all u care about is score, USdm is a way better value! if you want to feel magic and delight? and you're willing to pay top dollar? only one real option and u ain't gonna find it at a golfsmith or Edwin watts...domo ere gato endo-San.

153 Roddio M6s
Spoon Roddio F7s
Cleek Roddio F7s
21 Roddio hybrid ut i7s
705 5-A Muziik Bangvoo
213 54/60 Muziik Bangvoo
SC Kombi S

[quote name='freehb' timestamp='1376875262' post='7701906']
you can get great value Chinese made heads when buying USdm that perform almost the same as JDM drivers that will look sound and feel way better and be of significantly higher quality but also be way more expensive and not necessarily be longer...

do u want something affordable that should be thrown away in 5 years or do you want a real piece that will be enjoyed for a decade? u get what u pay for...I don't buy JDM for the value or performance, I buy it cause it is better made, feels and sounds better and enhances my enjoyment of the game.

if all u care about is score, USdm is a way better value! if you want to feel magic and delight? and you're willing to pay top dollar? only one real option and u ain't gonna find it at a golfsmith or Edwin watts...domo ere gato endo-San.
[/quote]

I want a driver that performs better than the US Drivers and be kept for a long time.

When I look at Tourspec stuffs, those JDM drivers are priced over a grand. There must be something unique about them that Japanese golfers want to pay top dollars for those drivers.

[quote name='craniac76' timestamp='1376884643' post='7702938']
[quote name='freehb' timestamp='1376875262' post='7701906']

[/quote]

I want a driver that performs better than the US Drivers and be kept for a long time.

When I look at Tourspec stuffs, those JDM drivers are priced over a grand. There must be something unique about them that Japanese golfers want to pay top dollars for those drivers.
[/quote]

the fit & finish is noticeable, from a hands on view.

im still looking for a 3w & took a look at the usdm xhot & tee cb's... only two that use top o line tech like most of the jdm gear (cup ti/maraging faces)... and the cally feels 'cheap', & the tee just doesnt havent the sharp look & finish of say a romaro. they performed well on the juiced up monitor, but there's a difference in the qual of materials & finish.

beyond that, you have many more options to pick a driver w top tech and match the specs you desire. for example, i went wanting to actually measure the loft & face angle & lie of the tee or xhot, as i highly doubt they will truly be within a deg of the stamps. they couldnt accommodate at the store. to contrast, i feel comfortable ordering jdm gear thru the mail, and to get +/-.5* on the gear i order, depending on the company.

liked the idea of picking up a tee cb5 & ute for less than the price of one rr 3w, but i like the fit & finish & spec tols of the jdm. and in all honesty, the tee had too much face progression, the xhot a bit closed. jdm gives you many more options than just the two.

drivers are even better for tech & finish options... just giving you a reference from someone else in the same spot. (i already jumped on the driver tho... ;-))

The shafts are different, for one thing.

Graphite shafts are made by hand. The experience and skill of the person winding the shaft directly affects the finished product. The Japanese brand shaft for the Japanese market will be much better quality and closer tolerance than the model used by U.S. club brands. The Tour AD shaft you get in the U.S. is nothing like the same model shaft for the Japanese market.

It's the same with all components. Even steel shafts are not equal. The best steel shafts of all manufacturers are allotted to tour players first, then the Japanese manufacturers who pay a higher price for the best quality shafts of a production run. The U.S. manufacturers buy the cheapest with the lowest tolerance to specs.

Japanese buyers and American buyers are completely different when you see them visit a factory.

The Japanese buyers spend hours or days checking, testing, measuring, inspecting production methods and quality of everything off the line. They're using magnifying glasses to inspect product.

The American buyers take a quick glance, say "It looks fine," then start hammering the factory for cheaper pricing, longer payment terms, cheaper packaging and cheaper shipping costs.

That's why Japanese product is expensive.

i don’t need no stinkin’ shift key

I was lucky enough to demo a bunch of different JDM drivers at a demo day last year. It was a typical big demo day at my club and all the manufacturers were present. A local club builder had gotten in on the act was set up down on the end of the range looking very lonely.

I hate to burst anyone's bubble - [i]But those JDM drivers were about the same as anything else. [/i]Not knocking JDM stuff....it's nice. Expensive.

There was a launch monitor set up out there and you could compare anything you wanted. I ended up getting the Cleveland Classic XL.

I'll tell you guys this......that club builder sold completely out of wedges. Even other club reps were over there hitting the wedges....

SYard T388
TaylorMade RBZ 13-15
Miura CB-57 3-PW
Miura 51Y, 52K,56K, 57C, 60K
Old Titleist Blade

In my opinion, the comparison of JDM vs USDM equipment starts with the fact that they are both golf related and abruptly ends there. I believe that each respective manufacturing “region” (I say region because 99% of all USDM equipment is made in China, Philippines etc) has completely different goals, objectives and inherent nature. Thus I really think this is almost an Apples vs Oranges argument.
However, if it were to compare JDM vs USDM this is what I would say:

As a US based golfer, I have obviously played a lot of US clubs. I have probably gone through 15 US drivers over the past 20 years and maybe 6 iron sets. Up until about 2 years ago I strictly played US clubs ONLY and thought that JDM was really just about showing off your gear/money. Now, my bag is solely JDM with the exception of my putter (which is made here in the USA – Machine).
So let me say this about JDM drivers:

They are pure quality. Construction, feel and looks. Now, I have only owned 2 Japanese drivers, an Syard (which is a behemoth) and a Kamui Works. Although the Kamui works did not work for me, it still felt amazing. With regards to feel, this is a tough subject because many of the Japanese drivers are FORGED. As far as I know, NO USDM drivers are forged at all. Thus a direct comparison between drivers is difficult. Suffice it to say, a forged driver feels spectacular. Recently I took out my 910d2 , which has sat in my 3[sup]rd[/sup] bag for the past 1.5 years, to the range and what a difference. The 910d2 is a great club but compared to the Syard, even a Titleist club felt of lesser quality. I can’t imagine what a Taylormade or Callaway would feel like in comparison.

In terms of price, all in, my 910d2 cost about $500 (but should have cost around $600 as I found a discounted high end shaft). My JDM drivers cost around 1k. Is this price difference worth it? Absolutely.
The tough part about JDM is that it is not very testable here in the USA. If you do not know your swing or game very well then ordering online can prove to be difficult. However, if you know your game very well, JDM should be a walk in the park. I struck out on the Kamui but hit a home run on the Syard. So essentially my JDM driver cost about 2k and I still think it is worth it.

Overall, JDM equipment is geared towards a completely different set of the golfing population than USDM equipment. There are those in this game that live to play and those that play to live. I fall in the former category where I have also built an in home full workshop. I don’t play every day and I don’t sacrifice my family for this game but I do appreciate quality and am willing to pay for it (within reason but that can be argued as well).
Again, as many have already said, JDM is not going to shave any strokes off your game but in my opinion, it will make the game feel better and thus more enjoyable. And after all, isn’t that what golf is about? Enjoyment?

Callaway AI Smoke TD 8* - Ventus Black TR 5x

3W -Ping G430 LST - Ventus Black TR 7x

5W - TM Qi10 Tour - Ventus Black TR 7x

2i - Srixon ZX MK II Axiom 105X

4-6 T200 Axiom 105s

7-AW T150 Axion 105s

54S SM9 - Accra Iseries Red

60T SM9 - Accra Iseries Red

Bettinardi QB14 LA Golf

[quote name='mr.haha' timestamp='1376922451' post='7704656']

Again, as many have already said, JDM is not going to shave any strokes off your game but in my opinion, it will make the game feel better and thus more enjoyable. And after all, isn’t that what golf is about? Enjoyment?
[/quote]

You got it exactly right there......it's about whatever turns your crank.

I had the chance to hit a bunch of JDM clubs and I play JDM irons and wedges. At the end of the day it came down to the fact that I didn't hit those JDM drivers any further nor any straighter. I've give you this - most of the JDM clubs are prettier.

SYard T388
TaylorMade RBZ 13-15
Miura CB-57 3-PW
Old Titleist Blade

I have slowly migrated to JDM gear over the past year. I agree with a lot of what has been said above. If you think buying a $1000 driver is going to make you score bettter, then you will be disappointed. If you are a detail oriented person with a perfectionist type personality, then JDM gear is a good fit for you. You are paying extra for a more finely crafted tool with much tighter tolerances. The actual loft will be what you order. They will tell you the gram weight to one tenth of a gram of the iron or driver head you buy. This explanation applies to shafts as well. Much tighter tolerances on the manufacturing process. If the characteristics listed above aren't important to you, then don't spend the extra money on JDM gear as it will be a disappointment to you.

As far as scoring goes, you still have to swing the club, and that is where the issue lies.

LEFT HANDED

Callaway Paradym Smoke TD with Metaflex 5H shaft 
Titleist TSR2 16.5 degree fwy with Ventus Red 7 stiff shaft
Ping G430 19 and 22 degree hybrids with Ventus Blue HB 8 stiff shaft
Srixon ZX7 mkii 5-PW with Fuji Axiom 105 stiff shafts

Titleist SM9 50F, 54D, 58T wedge with Fuji Axiom 105 stiff shafts
L.A.B. MEZZ Max putter with LAGP putter shaft

Here's my $.02. I have owned and hit just about every driver that has come down the pike from the major OEMs in the last several years. This year alone: Cleveland Classic Custom XL, Call X-hot Pro and RFE, Adams Launch Lab, Titleist 913D3, Ping Anser.
Then one day I saw a Fourteen CL112 head just sitting in my local repair shop. Put an Ilima 70s in it and have not looked back. It's the longest, straightest, best sounding, best feeling driver I have played since the extinction of persimmon heads. I would recommend this head to ANYONE looking for a driver. Not adjustable but who cares? The club is simply great!

PS....wasn't there a thread about Fourteen getting ready to release a new driver/

Agree with the folks above about the enjoyment factor of using something that's quality and well-made. It just "feels" special and unique, and that's a big part of the appeal. Some people may call it snobbish or even stupid, but since I started using JDM my perception of most US-market clubs has gone down considerably. They feel junky and half-assed compared to JDM, if that makes sense.

Although I would admit the quality of some of the bigger JDM brands like Tourstage, XXIO, etc. etc. has gone down a bit in recent years, probably due to the economy or competitive issues.

as mentioned, boiled down, it's purely about quality and personal satisfaction. i could just as easily run a 10 second 1/4mile for half the price in a ford...but it's a LOT more enjoyable for me in a benz. and i've always enjoyed having something a little different (not necessarily more expensive) than the sheeple...

Pretty much played all the japanese stuff lately but have settled on a Rocketballz driver and a R11 dot driver......the japanese drivers are very well made and i appreciate their beauty but in terms of performance, the TM drivers i am bagging worked better for my swing. The drivers i played this year in JDM were Yamaha 4.6V, V203, Epon Af-101 Zero, Jbeam 435R, 435II, Ryoma Vspec d1, Kamui Pro. I am interested in the Ptune but missed an oppurtunity to pick one up.

[quote name='puresurfr' timestamp='1376974299' post='7710520']
Pretty much played all the japanese stuff lately but have settled on a Rocketballz driver and a R11 dot driver......the japanese drivers are very well made and i appreciate their beauty but in terms of performance, the TM drivers i am bagging worked better for my swing. The drivers i played this year in JDM were Yamaha 4.6V, V203, Epon Af-101 Zero, Jbeam 435R, 435II, Ryoma Vspec d1, Kamui Pro. I am interested in the Ptune but missed an oppurtunity to pick one up.
[/quote]

dang, how did you manage to work through the jbeam 435's and not play the original??? by nearly all accounts it's the best of not only the 435 lineage but the best of the best...period!

either way, good on you for finding something that works for your swing. i missed that ptune on the bst also but i'm still keeping an eye out for one!

[quote name='johnnypro' timestamp='1376932013' post='7705948']
Then one day I saw a Fourteen CL112 head just sitting in my local repair shop. Put an Ilima 70s in it and have not looked back. It's the longest, straightest, best sounding, best feeling driver I have played since the extinction of persimmon heads. I would recommend this head to ANYONE looking for a driver. Not adjustable but who cares? The club is simply great!
[/quote]

I have been testing the Fourteen CT 112 the last 3 days. Its a very impressive driver. Its unusual in that the stock length is 47 inches. Yet it is very easy to swing and control. Hard to believe at 47 inches, but the balance is perfect at this length. 10.5 degrees loft. Just swing smooth an prepare to be amazed at how far and straight you will hit it. When I 1st tried this driver I choked up over 1 inch. I didnt hit it well at all using this approach. Fourteen designed this club to be played at the full 47 inch length so I went with the flow. The best I can describe this club is it combines the best of the 2 top JDM drivers for 2013. It has the solid feel at impact of the SYARD T.388, combined with the ease of use and forgiveness of the Ryoma Maxima. Yes its that good. I dont know if its the whole package that makes this club so good, or its just a perfect fit for me, but IM getting Launch Lab distance and Ryoma forgiveness. 3 rounds in it gets better and better.

[quote name='chiromikey' timestamp='1376976888' post='7710668']
[quote name='puresurfr' timestamp='1376974299' post='7710520']
[/quote]

dang, how did you manage to work through the jbeam 435's and not play the original??? by nearly all accounts it's the best of not only the 435 lineage but the best of the best...period!

either way, good on you for finding something that works for your swing. i missed that ptune on the bst also but i'm still keeping an eye out for one!
[/quote]

i just never saw a jbeam 425 in a loft and condition that i liked, the crazy 435 II was probably the best jbeam driver that i owned !!!

I'm probably going to get flamed for this, but this sounds more like a smaller boutique company vs major OEM debate rather than JDM vs USDM. If you were to look at JDM clubs by Callaway or Titleist they are probably on par with USDM Callaway & Titleist clubs and produced in China like everything else. A US company like Scratch would be a more equal comparison to the likes of Fourteen and Epon rather than comparing these smaller companies to a mega huge OEM.

Also, who on this site keeps the same driver for a decade?!

[quote name='storm319' timestamp='1377692080' post='7758071']
I'm probably going to get flamed for this, but this sounds more like a smaller boutique company vs major OEM debate rather than JDM vs USDM. If you were to look at JDM clubs by Callaway or Titleist they are probably on par with USDM Callaway & Titleist clubs and produced in China like everything else. A US company like Scratch would be a more equal comparison to the likes of Fourteen and Epon rather than comparing these smaller companies to a mega huge OEM.

[/quote]

no flaming, but you are mistaken in the basic facts. call cally & Titleist... ask em if their usdm is the same as jdm. and epon isnt exactly a small company... ;-)... they make clubs for the likes of cally & Titleist.

[quote name='313' timestamp='1377705986' post='7759477']
[quote name='storm319' timestamp='1377692080' post='7758071']

[/quote]

no flaming, but you are mistaken in the basic facts. call cally & Titleist... ask em if their usdm is the same as jdm. and epon isnt exactly a small company... ;-)... they make clubs for the likes of cally & Titleist.
[/quote]

+1

it's also quite a stretch to compare scratch to epon.

+1 to all who mention the S-Yard t.388. For those who don't know the answer to the comparison question between US and JDM drivers, one hit with this club and you will FEEL it. Oh, and you will NOT go back... ;=]

[color=#5A5A5A][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3]
[color=#808080][size=2][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]_________________________________[/font][/size][/color]
[color=#808080][size=2][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]Epon AF-153 / TRPX M1st[/font][/size][/color]
[color=#808080][size=2][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]Ryoma 2017 F5[/font][/size][/color]
[color=#808080][size=2][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]A-Grind CMB2 DI / Crazy STP[/font][/size][/color]
[color=#808080][size=2][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]Miura HB3 18 / ProjX[/font][/size][/color]
[color=#808080][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif][size=2]Seven MCB 5-AW[/size][/font][/color][/size][/font][/color][color=#5A5A5A][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3]
[color=#808080][size=2][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]A-Grind 56-onset / NS WV105[/font][/size][/color]
[color=#808080][size=2][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]Cally forged copper 64 / DGspin[/font][/size][/color]
[color=#808080][size=2][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]Seven Benock Pantaleone [/font][/size][/color][/size][/font][/color]

Can't really say that the JDM drivers I've had (many) necessarily performed better than usdm drivers but they certainly look, feel, and sound better on average than their US counterparts. They've also got a dearth of sub 460 low spinning heads with titanium cup faces that seemingly have the forgiveness of larger heads but without the drawbacks. I swear my RR435LX anywhere on the face is hot. Drivers made with insert faces cannot touch the cup face heads on off center feel and distance.

I would say jdm drivers are more true to loft, just like TOUR ISSUE usdm driver heads. You can also custom order specific loft, lie, face angle, head weight...etc from some of the company. I once had a usdm head stamped 8.5 and came out almost 12*! For jdm, mostly +- 0.5*. Feel is really subjective. For MY game, jdm drivers fit my game better... Just me.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Soloman1' timestamp='1376918179' post='7704190']
Japanese buyers and American buyers are completely different when you see them visit a factory.

The Japanese buyers spend hours or days checking, testing, measuring, inspecting production methods and quality of everything off the line. They're using magnifying glasses to inspect product.

The American buyers take a quick glance, say "It looks fine," then start hammering the factory for cheaper pricing, longer payment terms, cheaper packaging and cheaper shipping costs.

That's why Japanese product is expensive.
[/quote]

To me, this answers every JDM vs USDM question out there.

If you understand the Japanese psyche and their obsessive attention to detail, diligence in performance and expectation of perfection, then you'll understand why they buy JDM clubs and why they don't flinch at the prices.

If you don't, then you'll think they overpay for their sticks.

Bag 1                                                                 Bag 2
Ping G400 LST 10                                             Epon Technicity 9
Ping G400 3W 14.5                                          TM R9 3W 14
Ping G400 3H 19                                              Miura 3H 19
Mizuno JPX 919 Hot Metal Pro 5-P               Epon 503 4-P Nippon Super Peening Orange
Mizuno s18 50, 54, 58                                     Miura 51, 56 k-grind
Bettinardi BB1                                                  Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Ok. I got bored and ordered up an S-Yard .388. It was all on spec because although I've hit quite a few JDM drivers.....never the S-Yard. Since it had some of the best reviews and Tario @TSG was in a dealing kind of mood.....I pulled the trigger.

Here's the comparison for you guys.

2012 Cleveland Classic XL 310 9.5 degree with a Miyazaki Kusala Blue 61g shaft. 43 3/4 inches D-2 swing weight.

S-Yard .388 9.5 degree with whatever the Tour Stiff Stock Shaft is at 65 grams. 45.25 inches D-2 swing weight.

My specs. 6'2 - 220lbs. I play to a 4 hdcp and my driver swingspeed ( when swinging well) is 115 mph. I prefer to play a slight draw with driver but find that I hit more fairways with a bunt fade.

Here's my opinion:

Sound: S-Yard. Not that I really care about how a driver sounds....but it's a nice solid whack.

Distance: S-Yard. Certainly part of that is the additional length of the shaft.

Launch. S-Yard is lower.

Off Center hits: Cleveland. My miss is the toe and I had better results on misses with the Cleveland.

Feel: it's different. Can't say better or worse because to me a solid shot is a solid shot. Both feel great when flushed.

I found ths S-Yard a little harder to draw than my Cleveland. Again...probably that lengthy shaft.

Looks: my Cleveland is pretty. S-Yard looks more sinister.

Miscelaneous: I play a shot with my driver that is essentially a stinger. Back in my stance and really rotate through. It's a low bullet than normally finds a fairway. It took me a while to get that shot going when I switched to the Cleveland....kept trying to balloon. First attempt with the S-yard was perfection. Repeated perfection.

Disclaimer: all of this testing was conducted under non-scientific standards on a driving range and me just driving around my course hitting drives on certain holes. I'll put the S-Yard into play in my weekly Wednesday Money Game and let you guys know how it performs when it matters.

Oh, local 20 year old hotshot on the range took a few swings and liked it. I have him convinced that the S-Yard was a $79.99 special at a golf shop bargain barrel.

SYard T388
TaylorMade RBZ 13-15
Miura CB-57 3-PW
Old Titleist Blade

Congrats. Can't imagine a better driver for hitting stingers. Agree with you on the draw--this thing just hits straight line drives. Most find it just keeps getting better too. Good luck.

[color=#5A5A5A][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3]
[color=#808080][size=2][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]_________________________________[/font][/size][/color]
[color=#808080][size=2][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]Epon AF-153 / TRPX M1st[/font][/size][/color]
[color=#808080][size=2][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]Ryoma 2017 F5[/font][/size][/color]
[color=#808080][size=2][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]A-Grind CMB2 DI / Crazy STP[/font][/size][/color]
[color=#808080][size=2][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]Miura HB3 18 / ProjX[/font][/size][/color]
[color=#808080][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif][size=2]Seven MCB 5-AW[/size][/font][/color][/size][/font][/color][color=#5A5A5A][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3]
[color=#808080][size=2][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]A-Grind 56-onset / NS WV105[/font][/size][/color]
[color=#808080][size=2][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]Cally forged copper 64 / DGspin[/font][/size][/color]
[color=#808080][size=2][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]Seven Benock Pantaleone [/font][/size][/color][/size][/font][/color]

[quote name='lumberman2462' timestamp='1378597397' post='7813263']
Ok. I got bored and ordered up an S-Yard .388. It was all on spec because although I've hit quite a few JDM drivers....

Oh, local 20 year old hotshot on the range took a few swings and liked it. I have him convinced that the S-Yard was a $79.99 special at a golf shop bargain barrel.
[/quote]

lol... too funny

have a chance to screw around w a 435? that one seems to be an itch for me

• 2 weeks later...

[url="http://wishongolf.com/forged-irons-from-japan-vs-us-or-china-the-facts/"]http://wishongolf.com/forged-irons-from-japan-vs-us-or-china-the-facts/[/url]

Take That :yahoo:

Srixon ZX5  TT dynamic gold 95  PING G425 FST 43.25"  Tour Edge 721 Tensei blue 65  Mizuno T22 56* 60*  Bobby Grace AMG 6313 35"

Hmmm a guy with a vested interest in selling his Chinese forged iron heads writes an article stating Chinese forgings are are good as Japanese. Nope, I see no possibly bias there. This is also the same guy that says shafts don't alter trajectory except for very aggressive late release swingers. Even the great Tom Wishon can be wrong occasionally.