2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

JDM Drivers vs US Drivers

craniac76

JDM has some extremely cool designs but that's it people. Forgings are the SAME, the feel of the club is subjective as all drivers sound and feel different and COR if COR. If you want to "feel" and "see" the quality then by all means do it but to say it's better is a joke.

Callaway Ai Smoke Triple  8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

TM Qi10 15* / Project X HZRDUS Black 8X        

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel ARRAY F3 w/ 3 line alignment

[quote name='craniac76' timestamp='1380798331' post='7946355']
I don't know whats special with JDM driver. I just played with a Tourstage X-drive driver. I got to say this... but the driver is very unforgiving compared to my previous FT-9. I paid a hefty price for this driver. A little bit disappointed.
[/quote]

Well of course it's less forgiving. X-Drive is Tourstage's pro-level line that's for very good ball strikers not looking for huge forgiveness but control and workability. If you want more forgiveness, you need to be in one of the Ryomas or one of the more forgiving JDM drivers such as S-Yard XV or RomaRo HX460 or many others. Apples to apples.

• Like 1

[quote name='J13' timestamp='1380799863' post='7946387']
JDM has some extremely cool designs but that's it people. Forgings are the SAME, the feel of the club is subjective as all drivers sound and feel different and COR if COR. If you want to "feel" and "see" the quality then by all means do it but to say it's better is a joke.
[/quote]

Forgings are the same? How many current usdm forged drivers have you compared? Oh wait, there are none...

I think he means that forging is just the same as cast performance-wise even though there may or may not be a difference in feel.

Bag 1                                                                 Bag 2
Ping G400 LST 10                                             Epon Technicity 9
Ping G400 3W 14.5                                          TM R9 3W 14
Ping G400 3H 19                                              Miura 3H 19
Mizuno JPX 919 Hot Metal Pro 5-P               Epon 503 4-P Nippon Super Peening Orange
Mizuno s18 50, 54, 58                                     Miura 51, 56 k-grind
Bettinardi BB1                                                  Scotty Cameron Newport 2

[quote name='IamMarkMac' timestamp='1380838255' post='7949275']
I think he means that forging is just the same as cast performance-wise even though there may or may not be a difference in feel.
[/quote]

Yes, plus if you hotmelt a driver it feels and sounds just as good. Have to say though the Callaway Legacy Platinum is a SMOKING driver. Love it

Callaway Ai Smoke Triple  8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

TM Qi10 15* / Project X HZRDUS Black 8X        

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel ARRAY F3 w/ 3 line alignment

[quote name='chiromikey' timestamp='1380819797' post='7947893']
[/quote]

Forgings are the same? How many current usdm forged drivers have you compared? Oh wait, there are none...
[/quote]
I'm confused when you say NO US OEM's have a forged driver? Do you mean for 2013/14? Nike has had several forged models since 2003, Callaway has Forged Composite since 2009, and Taylormade's had the forged Bubble 2 and the Gloire ,and legacy made for Japan market. Wilson had a few Forged drives a few years back so to say no US companies don't have forged drivers is just wrong. The Nike VR limited is a forged driver that many like. I've never even hit a JDM driver and the only forged driver I ever hit was forged composite FT9 TA.

Tour Issue TM M2 2016 w/Tensi Pro Blue S60
Tour Issue TM M2 15* w/ Adila ATX Green S
TM HFS 21* W GD TOUR AD di 7S
Cobra Pro mb 4-PW w/ Aldila RIP Tour R hard stepped
Titleist Vokey Proto's 54*,56*,60*
Tour Bettinardi BB0 DASS or
Tour Bettinardi BB1 'H' DASS 353g
Recent Acquisition SWAG Handsome One 
Titleist ProV1 X, TM TP X
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/351901-twshoot67s-bag-and-crazy-collection/page__st__30__p__8092784__hl__+twshoot67#entry8092784"]WITB Link[/url]

[quote name='TWshoot67' timestamp='1380849955' post='7950183']
[/quote]

[/quote]
I'm confused when you say NO US OEM's have a forged driver? Do you mean for 2013/14? Nike has had several forged models since 2003, Callaway has Forged Composite since 2009, and Taylormade's had the forged Bubble 2 and the Gloire ,and legacy made for Japan market. Wilson had a few Forged drives a few years back so to say no US companies don't have forged drivers is just wrong. The Nike VR limited is a forged driver that many like. I've never even hit a JDM driver and the only forged driver I ever hit was forged composite FT9 TA.
[/quote]

He said USDM, not US OEM. Definitely, US OEMs make forged drivers for markets outside of the US. You've mentioned a few already. And I thought that "forged composite" for Callaway referred to the material, not the method.

Mizuno JPX 919 Hot Metal Pro 5-P               Epon 503 4-P Nippon Super Peening Orange
Bettinardi BB1                                                  Scotty Cameron Newport 2

[quote name='MizzyMan' timestamp='1380808451' post='7946917']
I don't know whats special with JDM driver. I just played with a Tourstage X-drive driver. I got to say this... but the driver is very unforgiving compared to my previous FT-9. I paid a hefty price for this driver. A little bit disappointed.
[/quote]

Well of course it's less forgiving. X-Drive is Tourstage's pro-level line that's for very good ball strikers not looking for huge forgiveness but control and workability. If you want more forgiveness, you need to be in one of the Ryomas or one of the more forgiving JDM drivers such as S-Yard XV or RomaRo HX460 or many others. Apples to apples.
[/quote]

It's not less forgiving, it's very unforgiving. BTW I have the GR model which is targeted for average golfer. Not the pro model.

[quote name='IamMarkMac' timestamp='1380860284' post='7950925']
[quote name='TWshoot67' timestamp='1380849955' post='7950183']
[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]

He said USDM, not US OEM. Definitely, US OEMs make forged drivers for markets outside of the US. You've mentioned a few already. And I thought that "forged composite" for Callaway referred to the material, not the method.
[/quote]
So the Nike VR LTD is not made for US market? And the Forged Composite is a blending of materials that are forged together from what I read. I was being a little sarcastic but in the same sentence Nike and s have made Forged Ti drivers for US market and it was done many years ago and just up until the last Nike line their Drivers were forged. So my point was that US OEM's have made Forged drivers for US consumption.

Tour Issue TM M2 2016 w/Tensi Pro Blue S60
Tour Issue TM M2 15* w/ Adila ATX Green S
TM HFS 21* W GD TOUR AD di 7S
Cobra Pro mb 4-PW w/ Aldila RIP Tour R hard stepped
Titleist Vokey Proto's 54*,56*,60*
Tour Bettinardi BB0 DASS or
Tour Bettinardi BB1 'H' DASS 353g
Recent Acquisition SWAG Handsome One 
Titleist ProV1 X, TM TP X
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/351901-twshoot67s-bag-and-crazy-collection/page__st__30__p__8092784__hl__+twshoot67#entry8092784"]WITB Link[/url]

[quote name='craniac76' timestamp='1380862036' post='7950997']
[/quote]

[/quote]

It's not less forgiving, it's very unforgiving. BTW I have the GR model which is targeted for average golfer. Not the pro model.
[/quote]

The GR line is still "for the better and more demanding player". But still, I would say maybe the shaft doesn't fit you? I've played several TS drivers and none, even the 901, a small deep-faced model, were what I would call unforgiving in the least. The ViQ line is their forgiving, average golfer line.

[quote name='MizzyMan' timestamp='1380921997' post='7953795']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

The GR line is still "for the better and more demanding player". But still, I would say maybe the shaft doesn't fit you? I've played several TS drivers and none, even the 901, a small deep-faced model, were what I would call unforgiving in the least. The ViQ line is their forgiving, average golfer line.
[/quote]

It has nothing to do with the shaft. I got custom fitted anyway with this driver. The head feels twisty on off center impact and resulting in a very short distance.

And I read the review on this driver. The driver is for average player and NOT for better player like you said.

I also played with Yonex Ezone 450 driver for 2 rounds. Same thing. The head is very unforgiving.

BTW This will be my last JDM driver. Not worth the money I spent.

[quote name='craniac76' timestamp='1380958819' post='7955649']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

It has nothing to do with the shaft. I got custom fitted anyway with this driver. The head feels twisty on off center impact and resulting in a very short distance.

And I read the review on this driver. The driver is for average player and NOT for better player like you said.

I also played with Yonex Ezone 450 driver for 2 rounds. Same thing. The head is very unforgiving.

[/quote]

wait...you were custom fit for this driver meaning the driver and shaft gave you the best results out of all other tested drivers and you still bought it? did the fitting show you amazing results and then on the course it didnt perform? i am having trouble reconciling the fact that you were custom fit for an unforgiving head? to me this doesnt sound like equipment issue. it sounds like you either fell in love with the notion of Tourstage only or you were not fit properly.

on the TSG website they even say it is for the better and more demanding player.
[url="http://www.tourspecgolf.com/product_info.php?products_id=3800"]http://www.tourspecgolf.com/product_info.php?products_id=3800[/url]

Callaway AI Smoke TD 8* - Ventus Black TR 5x

3W -Ping G430 LST - Ventus Black TR 7x

5W - TM Qi10 Tour - Ventus Black TR 7x

2i - Srixon ZX MK II Axiom 105X

4-6 T200 Axiom 105s

7-AW T150 Axion 105s

54S SM9 - Accra Iseries Red

60T SM9 - Accra Iseries Red

Bettinardi QB14 LA Golf

I have had several different drivers all with premium shafts as the shafts to me is what makes the club much better than any stock offering. I just picked up a Honma TW 717 10.5* 460 with Vizard TA55 and this is one beautiful looking, sounding and best feeling driver I've ever hit compared to any Japaneses. Distance is very good without having to get overly aggressive too. I'm glad I made the switch as my TM SLDR with Oban white kiyoshi shaft is now my back up driver

Driver: Cobra  50th Anniversary Edition Aerojet 10.5 w/Graphite Design Tour AD IZ4 

3W: Callaway  Paradym X 3w/ Graphite Design Tour AD CQ5  

5/7W: Callaway Paradym X / Project X Hzrdus Gen 4 silver 5.5

Irons:  Titleist T-350 w/Aerotech i80r

Wedges:  Cleveland RTX 6 ZipCore 48* and 54* w/Aerotech i95r

Putter:  ENVROLL E2 34" with Stability Fire shaft  w/ Oversize Black PURE grip (rotate) ODESSEY EYE TRAX 2-BALL w/BGT Stability Carbon 33" 2 Thumb OG Lite 31 black grip

[quote name='mr.haha' timestamp='1380974441' post='7955905']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

wait...you were custom fit for this driver meaning the driver and shaft gave you the best results out of all other tested drivers and you still bought it? did the fitting show you amazing results and then on the course it didnt perform? i am having trouble reconciling the fact that you were custom fit for an unforgiving head? to me this doesnt sound like equipment issue. it sounds like you either fell in love with the notion of Tourstage only or you were not fit properly.

on the TSG website they even say it is for the better and more demanding player.
[url="http://www.tourspecgolf.com/product_info.php?products_id=3800"]http://www.tourspecgolf.com/product_info.php?products_id=3800[/url]
[/quote]

huh? I just hit a couple shots during the fitting. On the course, It didn't perform as well as during the fitting. Simple as that. When you are on the course for a long period of time, you tend to make mistake. And you need the most forgiving driver you can get.

I'm not trying to give an impression all JDM driver all like that. Maybe the driver is not for me.

BTW there is nothing special about X-drive GR. Enough about this driver... I'm moving on to another one.

[quote name='craniac76' timestamp='1381059293' post='7959809']
[quote name='mr.haha' timestamp='1380974441' post='7955905']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[url="http://www.tourspecgolf.com/product_info.php?products_id=3800"]http://www.tourspecg...roducts_id=3800[/url]
[/quote]

huh? I just hit a couple shots during the fitting. On the course, It didn't perform as well as during the fitting. Simple as that. When you are on the course for a long period of time, you tend to make mistake. And you need the most forgiving driver you can get.

I'm not trying to give an impression all JDM driver all like that. Maybe the driver is not for me.

BTW there is nothing special about X-drive GR. Enough about this driver... I'm moving on to another one.
[/quote]

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='Soloman1' timestamp='1376918179' post='7704190']
The shafts are different, for one thing.

Graphite shafts are made by hand. The experience and skill of the person winding the shaft directly affects the finished product. The Japanese brand shaft for the Japanese market will be much better quality and closer tolerance than the model used by U.S. club brands. The Tour AD shaft you get in the U.S. is nothing like the same model shaft for the Japanese market.

It's the same with all components. Even steel shafts are not equal. The best steel shafts of all manufacturers are allotted to tour players first, then the Japanese manufacturers who pay a higher price for the best quality shafts of a production run. The U.S. manufacturers buy the cheapest with the lowest tolerance to specs.

Japanese buyers and American buyers are completely different when you see them visit a factory.

The Japanese buyers spend hours or days checking, testing, measuring, inspecting production methods and quality of everything off the line. They're using magnifying glasses to inspect product.

The American buyers take a quick glance, say "It looks fine," then start hammering the factory for cheaper pricing, longer payment terms, cheaper packaging and cheaper shipping costs.

That's why Japanese product is expensive.
[/quote]

Totally agree! Plus have a look of the grip as well. JDM has a very high standard and requirement to the overall weight, and weight distribution of the driver. So the grip they use on the JDM driver (same model, i.e. TaylorMade SLDR) is much better than the drivers on the US market.

[quote name='Badger_Golfer' timestamp='1383154269' post='8079148']
JDM all the way. Theres a reason why theyre non-conforming.
[/quote]

Does anyone know if they're non-conforming only with USGA but fine with the JGA?