2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Two trips to Southern Oregon

GWD

Ah, more excellent recommendations to add to my itinerary.

[u]Gachnar[/u]: My revised Spring Trip does include Eugene. I'll be playing [b]Emerald Valley[/b] in Creswell and skipping [b]Tokatee[/b] (played it several times) this time around at the recommendation of [u]bjackson[/u].

Hop Valley Brewing is right by our hotel in Eugene. Any feedback on the food and drink there? It gets some decent reviews on the Internet but the opinions here outweigh that by far.

Boneyard Brewing in Bend gets good reviews but apparently doesn't have meals. It is on the way back to our hotel from [b]Widgi[/b] so, after lunch at the course, that may be a prime stop.

Bier Stein (now) and Rogue Brewery are also waypoints on my map. Too bad I only have one day available in Eugene for this trip.

Not good news about Deschutes in Bend. It might get a walk-through anyway.

Just before the trip in May all of the suggestions will be reviewed and a final decision made. Lots and lots of choices - thanks.

Here is the latest rendition:

> Callaway GBB driver (set D, -1, 9.5°) w/Kuro Kage Black TiNi 50, R-flex, 45.5"
> GBB 5 wood w/Kuro Kage Black TiNi 50, R-flex (set D, -1, 17°), 42.5"
> XR 7 wood (21°), 9 wood (23°) w/OEM Project X LZ, R-flex
> Callaway XR 4-LW w/ Recoil 660, F3, +.5", 2° up
> Golf Pride CP2 Wrap grips (blue)
> Odyssey White Ice Mini-T putter 35"
> Pinnacle Gold or Wilson 50 Elite

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='ws6' timestamp='1389545519' post='8446665']
Probably a typo but, Emerald Valley is in Creswell. I have been to Hop Valley off Gateway a few times. It is pretty good, and being able to walk from your hotel is nice. I prefer Steelhead Brewery on 5th in Eugene.
[/quote]

Thanks for the catch. Indeed, associating [b]Emerald Valley[/b] with "Corvallis" isn't a typo but a brain-o. At least Covallis and Creswell start with a "C"! The post is now corrected.

Good to hear about Hop Valley. Maybe on the next trip there will be more time to spend in the Eugene area and to enjoy its benefits.

> Callaway GBB driver (set D, -1, 9.5°) w/Kuro Kage Black TiNi 50, R-flex, 45.5"

Hop Valley is about 2 minutes from work, so I spend quite a bit of time there (full disclosure, I'm friends with one of the owners). Their stock offerings for beer are pretty good, but I prefer some of the other breweries. However some of their small batch beers (which they always try out at the Springfield location) are excellent and the taps rotate so there is always something new to try. The bacon and blue cheese stuffed burger is great.

[quote name='Gachnar' timestamp='1389710266' post='8457969']
Hop Valley is about 2 minutes from work, so I spend quite a bit of time there (full disclosure, I'm friends with one of the owners). Their stock offerings for beer are pretty good, but I prefer some of the other breweries. However some of their small batch beers (which they always try out at the Springfield location) are excellent and the taps rotate so there is always something new to try. The bacon and blue cheese stuffed burger is great.
[/quote]

Sounds like Hop Valley is a go for this trip. Thanks for the advice on what to order, both beer and food.

I wouldn't refer to myself as a "beer connoisseur" but rather a "beer drinker". A preference is a smooth, lighter, thirst-quenching beer after a long day of golf or driving. IPA and darker beers are enjoyed during non-meals as well but the heaviness is out for my bride (of 44 years) with a girly figure still (5'8", 125 lbs.). OK, too much information.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

OK, this is a "bump" of sorts, maybe an update.

Monitoring Bend weather has shown it to be a little unsettled and stretches of cool and rainy days. BUT...the week of June 1 to June 7 looks pretty darn good weather-wise.

After juggling tee times and course availability this is what has come to pass. Oh, and a big thanks goes to Oregon courses for allowing a single to reserve a tee time. It is a rarity in California.

Monday, June 2, River's Edge, Bend, 8:15 AM
Tuesday, Widgi, Bend, 8:24 AM
Wednesday, Aspen Lakes, Sisters (Bend area), 8:30 AM
Thursday, Emerald Valley, Creswell (Eugene area), 8:30 AM
Friday, Myrtle Creek, Myrtle Creek, 8:30 AM

All courses have tee times arranged at about 8:30 AM and secured with a credit card. Much better than just showing up and hoping it is not Ladies Day (no disrespect intended) or a club tournament day.

Any GolfWRXers out there that would join a feeble, short driving, old man and his spectator/photographer wife for a day of duffing are welcome!!

Nice schedule. I just got back from playing Emerald Valley, Running Y, and Eagle Point. All great courses. EV has some of the smoothest slickest greens in the state.

TEE CB2 13* 3w, 43.5", 57g Fujikura Motore F1 X-flex
TEE CB2 15* 3w, 43" 65g Fujikura Motore F1 S-flex
Miura Black Boron 1957 Small Blades 2i-PW, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
Miura Black Wedges 53* and 60*, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
GripMaster Club Maker's Stitchback Grips
34" Piretti Bosa, GripMaster Pistol Grip

Registered Bladeocrat
Outlaw Golf Association Member #7

[quote name='DeNinny' timestamp='1401245694' post='9379129']
Nice schedule. I just got back from playing Emerald Valley, Running Y, and Eagle Point. All great courses. EV has some of the smoothest slickest greens in the state.
[/quote]

Yes, I read your "Running Y Loop..." post earlier this year with interest. We enjoyed Running Y some time ago as each hole had its own flavor. The variety was interesting.

Unfortunately, it was mosquito season and they were hungry! It was more noticeable at the resort than on the course. Having DEET along is a must.

Good information on Emerald Valley. Thanks.

In the Fall, a trip including Eagle Point is planned. Any insights into how that course plays?

Eagle Point has multiple tee boxes so it can be as challenging as you want it to be. Every hole had some challenge and some you could approach with different lines of play. There's some visual trickery as well, with bunkers that look close to the green but are offset. Think through every hole 'cause it is a course you should manage strategically. Greens were smooth and fairly fast too. It's a typical RTJJr course that you can't just point and shoot on.

Registered Bladeocrat

Eagle Point sounds interesting. I wish "thinking" was a relevant part of my game. Planning a shot and then hitting that shot is a two-step process that is elusive.

It seems that when I think, "I'll hit it THAT direction," there is a disconnect and inevitably the ball acts like it is cognizant but possessed.

For the few of you that wanted a trip report, here it is day-by-day in separate posts.

[u]Sun, 6/1[/u]: Drove from N. Cal to Bend in 6 hours. Had time to check out [b]Juniper[/b] (Redmond), [b]River's Edge,[/b] & [b]Widgi[/b]. Also previewed 10 Barrel Brewery, Bend Brewing, and Deschutes Brewing.

[b]Juniper[/b] was definitely a high desert course with few trees and desert right off the fairway. This opinion is just from viewing from the clubhouse area. It would be on the lower tier of our playlist.

[i]Brewery[/i]: Had dinner at Deschutes Brewery. The Bacon Blu burger was big and tasty. Fries...well, were fair. My wife had a turkey sandwich and side salad. She was quite happy with it. After a six-beer sampler we decided on Bachelor Bitter with dinner. The Black Butte dark beer was quite good but a dinner unto itself as it was quite robust. Total bill $50.

[u]Mon, 6/2[/u]: Played [b]River's Edge[/b] in 3 hours as a first-off single. Very pretty and well-kept course with many extreme elevation changes. For example, hole #1 is severely downhill through a narrow canyon to a hidden green (but I birdied it!...only one of the day...likely because I didn't have any idea where I was going). It was a challenging course that required every club in the bag. Most fairways are quite generous and the greens are large, firm, and undulating without being lightning fast. Traps are groomed and have fine sand.

Forget walking the course unless you hike mountain trails at 4000' on a regular basis. Gas carts are necessary because electric carts would come to a crawl on some hills. A laser rangefinder was helpful due to no GPS in the cart but elevation changes and wind conditions required two to three club recalculations at times. My ball was often long due to the altitude and wrong club choice. A rangefinder with slope might have helped some.

[i]Brewery[/i]: Bend Brewery was quite nice and not packed for an early Monday dinner. After sampling a couple of beers we settled on High Desert Hefewisen (without the lemon garnish). I had a BBC sandwich (roast beef dip). Tons of roast beef and quite good “pub fries”. Wife had fish & chips and found it very tasty. Would definitely go back again. Oh, and the nacho appetizer (a virtual mountain) was a shared full meal for a few couples we saw. 50% off appetizers during Happy Hour (4-6 PM) . Total cost $40 for us.
[attachment=2261581:DSC01185.JPG]
[attachment=2261583:DSC01194.JPG]

Tues, 6/3: Played [b]Widgi Creek[/b] first-off as a single. It seems Oregon golfers are not early morning players. Just as with [b]River's Edge[/b], nobody started for at least 30 minutes after I teed off. Finished in 3 hours at a leisurely pace.

[b]Widgi[/b] is a excellent course that is in great shape. It is challenging and scenic. The entire complex is impressive. Fairways are appropriately wide and the greens are receptive but quite firm. Greens are generally large, not flat, but without freakishly breaking putts. I would have no problem recommending this course to any golfer under a 20, or so, handicap. A scratch would certainly be challenged from the back tees. Sand is well-maintained and easy to deal with. If golfing in Bend again it would certainly be on the “must play” list.

[i]Brewery[/i]: We drove by 10 Barrel Brewing and decided it was a bit too eclectic for our present state of mind. It is mostly outdoors, noisy, and crowded...just as it was when we investigated it on Sunday afternoon. I'm sure it is a great place just not what we were ready for after a calm and quiet day of golf in the outdoors. My wife called it “downtrodden”. So we went back to Bend Brewery where I had the Verde Nachos and my wife had blackened chicken Caesar salad. I thought her salad was a bit smallish but she liked it very much. She did share my nachos so that verified that her salad was a bit small. Total bill with four pints of High Desert Hefenwisen was only $25 + tip.
[attachment=2261589:DSC01199.JPG]
[attachment=2261591:DSC01210.JPG]

Wed, 6/4: Played [b]Aspen Lakes [/b]first off as a single (sound familiar?). Finished in 2.5 hours despite too many searches because my driver decided that the fairway was to be avoided and trees deserved hard kisses...only four fairways hit all day!

An excellent and challenging course again. Some holes had wonderful views of the snow-covered mountains. It shared many similarities with [b]Widgi Creek[/b] as far as layout and terrain. [b]Aspen Lakes[/b] had fewer houses lining the fairways and they were a little further back from the course. However, OB was often very near the edge of the course as I found out the hard way. The deeply colored red sand traps were interesting, numerous, and played legitimately.

The greens were true but a bit slow – left several putts just short. A few of the greens are enormous. The cart had GPS that was very accurate and matched the laser rangefinder every time.

All three of the high desert courses have hard greens that barely leave a ball mark on any type of shot. I had to hunt for something to repair. Roll-out became something to be necessarily calculated on all three tracks. Over the green was a regular occurrence while slight mis-hits often rolled on for a GIR.

Now that the lush part of Oregon (Eugene) has been reached the greens might be softer and more receptive.

[i]Brewery[/i]: Hop Valley Brewing right next to our hotel in Eugene was special. It is relatively large and modern for a pub. My wife settled on DD Blond for her beer (she is neither!) and I had Hop Valley Pale Ale with dinner. My menu choice was Black and Blue burger with very good fries. She had a wedge salad and potato soup. Both the beers and meal choices are highly recommended. Cost $40.
[attachment=2261607:DSC01228.JPG]
[attachment=2261609:DSC01238.JPG]

Thurs, June 5: Played [b]Emerald Valley[/b] at the 8 AM opening time. Nobody else around. The course is long and flat. Perfect for walking as it is built in the old style where the green and next tee are reasonably close. The flat course is balanced with wicked elevated greens. Don't worry if you end up above the hole since soon enough you'll be hitting a long uphill second putt...that is, if you are lucky enough to stay on the green. A downhill chip from behind the green is a lost cause. The greens were fast enough and hard packed but the slope made scoring a hope and prayer.

The flat fairways are lined with low hanging trees. If off the fairway the only shot is to chip back onto it. Unlike the desert courses where it was like playing through a picket fence, with this course it was like playing through a stage curtain...forget it. On top of it all my ball-striking was pitiful so the scoring was awful.

If you want to play from the tips it would be my advice to be comfortable with your favorite deity and hope he/she makes a personal appearance.

[i]Brewery[/i]: Roseburg Station Brewery (McMenamins) was quite nice despite the dire warnings earlier in this thread. After sampling a few beers we had a Happy Hour dinner of two different salads, appetizer, and a hot dog for my protein fix. A very light seasonal Passport Pilsner went well with the minimal dinner. My wife finished her two pints and downed the last inch of my second one as well. Cost: $25 + tip.
[attachment=2261971:DSC01245.JPG]
[attachment=2261973:DSC01255.JPG]

Fri, 6/6: I teed off as a single at 7:30 AM but a few groups had already started the course a bit earlier. Finished in three hours exactly despite wandering around too often wondering where the ball had rolled.

I thought [b]River's Edge[/b] in Bend was one of the most hilly courses and with the most elevation changes I'd ever played. But noooo...[b]Myrtle Creek[/b] near Roseburg has it beaten by a long measure. Blind shots, hidden hazards, and ball-searching experiences abound. A rangefinder with slope is recommended since fairway markings are minimal or non-existent. Be sure to factor in the wind when choosing a club. Local experience is a big plus if you can play with those in the know.

Fairways are hilly but somewhat wide. An uphill tee shot will often disappear over or behind a mound and roll right or left depending on the luck of the draw. A downhill tee shot will seem to hover and hang for quite some time. Level lies in the fairways are seldom experienced. There are very few trees or OB to complicate finding the ball and recovery shots can be hit from almost anywhere.

The greens were a bit slow and some have tiers that require a more precise shot to gain the necessary level. Unfortunately, for a first time visitor the tiers can't be seen from the approach shot position.

The traps have a dark gray grainy sand that appeared to be the same material as the gray volcanic rock found around the course. Perhaps the rock had been ground to fill the traps. At any rate, the sand in the many traps played fairly and honestly.

Don't get me wrong. This course is enjoyable, if somewhat quirky. It is worth playing at least once just for its unique qualities. In fact, my best scoring round of the trip was here despite some surprise penalty strokes.

[i]Brewery[/i]: Caldera in Ashland is quite new. The building is large and modern. There are 50+ beers on tap. I had an Italian sandwich which was quite large and was essentially a pizza on toasted bread. Along with it a bowl of ham and bean soup was ordered. Delicious and spicy. My wife had another salad concoction. She liked it very much. We each had a couple of Pilsners with dinner. Price $50.

Post script: Golf five days in a row sure exposes the flaws in one's game. It usually takes more than a month to accumulate that many rounds for me. Mistakes are forgotten over time. This doesn't happen when one has to wake up and hit it again the next day.

The people that we contacted in Oregon were universally pleasant, upbeat, and accommodating. At the course, in the pubs, and at the hotel these traits showed in a genuine way.

[quote name='soregongolfer' timestamp='1402106104' post='9446471']
Dark gray sand at MC? Better get those glasses checked ;). The sand there is green. It's from a local mine.
[/quote]

Hmmm...it sure didn't look green to either my wife or me. The sand was damp. Maybe that had something to do with it.

Looking at the sand in the photos on post #47, it looks gray there also. That could be because of the contrast with the green fairway grass. Oh well, a minor point.

BTW, do you agree with the other comments about Myrtle Creek?

Nice pics and write up. I agree with your observations of aspen, widgi, and emerald. Lol you had the full experience of emerald's greens...wicked evil...

I hope you give 10 barrels another chance. Good pub and brewery.

Registered Bladeocrat

Great write-up GWD, you are getting me charged up for my trip 4th of July Week in Bend / Sunriver.

We are for sure playing Widgi Creek, one of our favorites down there for the price. We also like Quail Run in La Pine, great golf deals and although they don't have a flashy clubhouse, the course is really fun.

Wondering if anyone here would suggest the recently redone Glaze Meadow course at Black Butte. Twighlight prices are pretty good, would anyone suggest going out there?

As for beer, trying to meet up with the Ale Apothecary guy when I am down there, I hear they are great beers.

[quote name='GWD' timestamp='1402141346' post='9447867']
[quote name='soregongolfer' timestamp='1402106104' post='9446471']
Dark gray sand at MC? Better get those glasses checked ;). The sand there is green. It's from a local mine.
[/quote]

Hmmm...it sure didn't look green to either my wife or me. The sand was damp. Maybe that had something to do with it.

Looking at the sand in the photos on post #47, it looks gray there also. That could be because of the contrast with the green fairway grass. Oh well, a minor point.

BTW, do you agree with the other comments about Myrtle Creek?
[/quote]

I do. It is one hilly booger and there are some hidden hazards. It's the one course I absolutely will not walk...especially the front 9.

Now that I am sitting here thinking about it, I don't think all of the traps have the green sand. It's a very dark green. I like it because it seems not to clump and get packed down when it's wet.

Plutch, I would recommend glaze meadow even before the makeover. Both of the black butte courses are what I consider sleepers - they often get overlooked in the midst of so much good golf out there.

Registered Bladeocrat

[quote name='DeNinny' timestamp='1402187057' post='9450769']
Plutch, I would recommend glaze meadow even before the makeover. Both of the black butte courses are what I consider sleepers - they often get overlooked in the midst of so much good golf out there.
[/quote]

Good to hear, thanks for the info! Seriously I wake up everyday more excited to get down to Bend!

[quote name='plutch' timestamp='1402196976' post='9451635']
[/quote]

Good to hear, thanks for the info! Seriously I wake up everyday more excited to get down to Bend!
[/quote]

There is a lot of good golf there and the altitude makes me feel a lit[quote name='plutch' timestamp='1402196976' post='9451635']
[/quote]

[/quote]

There is so much good golf over there and the altitude makes me feel a little more manly too ;)