2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Two trips to Southern Oregon

GWD

Planning two golfing trips to Southern Oregon, one in spring and one in fall. Advice and recommendations requested. Start of the trips is in Sacramento.

Spring (interior):

>Day 1: Drive to Klamath Falls (300 mi.).

>Day 2: Play Running Y then drive to Bend (145 mi.).

>Day 3: Play Tetherow or Pronghorn or Sunriver Crosswater. Can only play one. Which one is suitable, fun, scenic? Stay in Bend.

>Day 4: Play Black Butte - Glaze Meadow and stay another night in Bend.

>Day 5: Play Tokatee after a 60 mile drive. Then drive to Roseburg (120 mi.). Not many recommendations for golf in Eugene.

>Day 6: Drive to Myrtle Creek (20 mi.) and play Myrtle Creek Golf Course. Rest in Grants Pass

>Day 7: Home (322 mi.)

Fall (coast):

>Day 1: Drive to Medford (300 mi.)

>Day 2: Play Eagle Point or Centennial. Drive to Brookings (130 mi.)

>Day 3: Play Salmon Run. Drive to Florence (160 mi.)

>Day 4: Play Sandpines then drive to Lincoln City (70 mi.)

>Day 5: Play Salishan then drive to Corvallis (70 mi.)

>Day 6: Play Trysting Tree then drive to Medford (210 mi.)

>Day 7: Play Eagle Point or Centennial (the one not played on Day 2). Rest in Medford.

>Day 8: Home (300 mi.)

Disclaimers:

-Old (66) but in decent shape.

-Not a fan of caddies, forecaddies, or extensive walking (medical).

-A 15 HDC so not looking for big challenges. (Hitting the ball is challenging enough!)

-Prefer $100 or less per round but willing to pay for quality.

-Playing as a single. Non-playing wife loves scenery and photo opportunities as she rides along.

-Have played Running Y, Sunriver, Black Butte, Tokatee, Salmon Run, and Salishan in the past. Some a number of years ago.

Questions:

1. Any updates on Running Y, Sunriver, Black Butte, Tokatee, Salmon Run, and Salishan over the past few years re: condition, playability, maintenance?

2. When is spring a "spring" month in the interior? Thinking dry courses, reasonable weather, wildflowers, and scenery.

3. Fall should be dryer on the coast but fog is sometimes an issue. Is there a fall month when there is generally less fog and dryer course conditions?

4. In the Bend area, which one course is more interesting, scenic, and playable, Tetherow or Pronghorn or Sunriver Crosswater?

5. Do these trips sound reasonable and doable? Too aggressive?

6. What am I missing and/or what Southern Oregon courses should be, or should not be, considered for the plans?

Thanks to all who take the time to read this long epistle and respond.

> Callaway GBB driver (set D, -1, 9.5°) w/Kuro Kage Black TiNi 50, R-flex, 45.5"
> GBB 5 wood w/Kuro Kage Black TiNi 50, R-flex (set D, -1, 17°), 42.5"
> XR 7 wood (21°), 9 wood (23°) w/OEM Project X LZ, R-flex
> Callaway XR 4-LW w/ Recoil 660, F3, +.5", 2° up
> Golf Pride CP2 Wrap grips (blue)
> Odyssey White Ice Mini-T putter 35"
> Pinnacle Gold or Wilson 50 Elite

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're missing Brasada Ranch; I personally like Widgi Creek; If you can get on Awbrey Glenn that would be a good choice.

Medford Golf is an option if willing to head in that direction.

Personally I was not a fan of Trysting or Tokatee. Tokatee is scenic and enjoyable being out in the mountains and tree, but the course leaves a bit to be desired. Depends what you want in your course here.

Trysting is a decent course that is kept in good shape, not the most challenging but some good holes. Staff is terrible!

Thanks for the recommendations. [b]Brasada Ranch[/b] appears to be a resort-oriented golf experience that has far more attractions than just golf and [b]Awbrey Glenn[/b] is private so inaccessible.

[b]Widgi Creek[/b] appears to be quite attractive for what I'm looking for. For now, that is a go.

There are two courses in Medford that are on the schedule for fall, [b]Eagle Point[/b] and [b]Centennial.[/b]

> Callaway GBB driver (set D, -1, 9.5°) w/Kuro Kage Black TiNi 50, R-flex, 45.5"

hey Garywdixon,

although I'm a big fan of D Kidd's Bandon Dunes (who isn't?), I just did not understand Tetherow. To me, it was uneven and a little weird. Perhaps the topography inhibited Mr Kidd in his design.

I'm not a big Nicklaus Design fan, but I really liked Pronghorn Nicklaus. I thought it was a better course than Pronghorn Fazio, although the Fazio course might have been a stronger test of golf.

I've played other Bend public courses, and for me the Pronghorns were the best.

[Also, it looks like you will be driving by Bandon when you leave Brookings to get to Florence. If you haven't already done so, perhaps you might stop by Bandon Dunes or Pacific Dunes and just look at the courses from the pro shops.]

[b]Bandon[/b] does seem to be the golfing Mecca nowadays. My game (and preferences) just are not up to the task.

Thanks for the Bend opinions. When I did a search for courses in the Bend area it was shocking to see the amount of opportunities to play. Bend and Redmond golfing residents are quite fortunate. They also benefit from the pubs and local microbreweries.

The reviews of [b]Tetherow[/b] mirror your opinions so it is being skipped for now.

I did a trip there in June and the best course I have played and really enjoyed was Crosswater. I liked it better than Pronghorn. I played Cosswater a couple weeks be the PGA ProfessionalGolf Championship. Its a very tough course if the wind picks up and a great challenge. I also played Aspen Lakes for the first time and enjoyed it very much. I really like Running Y as well. You really cant go wrong playing in the Bend area. Its all what you are really looking for. If your in Eugene go play Emerald Valley, and if you got connections play Eugene Country Club.

[font=lucida sans unicode,lucida grande,sans-serif][size=3]TM M6 9 deg.w/ Tensei Pro White 70TX[/size]
[size=3]TM SIM Ti 15deg w/ Tensei Pro White 80TX[/size]
[size=3]​TM P790 3i w/ Tensei Pro White 90TX[/size]
[size=3]TM P790 4i w/ Nippon 125X[/size]
[size=3]Srixon 765 5-PW w/ Nippon 125X[/size]
[size=3]TM Milled Grind 50deg, 54deg, and 58deg High Toe w/ Nippon 125X[/size]
[size=3]TM Spider X Copper[/size][/font]

I didn't really want to breach the subject of breweries since this is a golf forum and beer is such a personal taste issue. But......these trips are going to be golf / brewery centered.

[u]Spring[/u]:
>Bend - Bend Brewery, Deschutes Brewing
>Sisters - Three Creeks Brewing
>Roseburg - Roseburg Station Brewery
>Ashland - Caldera Brewing

[u]Fall[/u]:
>Medford - Wild River Brewery, Bricktowne Brewery
>Newport - Rogue Brewery
>Corvallis - McMenamin's Pub

Now that my secret is out. Any recommendations?

Skip Medford. Go play Fall River, a hidden gem in the McArthur area. About 20 minutes east of Burney on 299, about an hour south east of us here in Mount Shasta. They have the newly established Fall River Brewery. Or stop off near hear and play Mount Shasta or I recommend Lake Shastina golf resort. Then spend some time at the Mount Shasta Brewing Company. If you do go to Medford, Eagle Point gets my approval. Good luck on your trip!!!!

Eugene CC and Emerald Valley are definitely worth playing in the Eugene area. I went to school at the U of O (graduated early 2013) and Emerald Valley was my home course for 4 years. Plays host to many USGA qualifiers, high school state tournaments, and is a great test of golf and almost always in good condition. Only got out to Eugene CC once and it's a great track. Beautiful tree lined holes, nice architecture and plenty of history.

I last played Tokatee in March. It's a fun course with incredible views. Not exactly and exciting course, but not bad either. Good conditions, but nothing to write home about.

I'll try a group response without quoting posts:

[u]1SAST[/u]: I played [b]Fall River[/b] when it was newly opened many years ago. Kind of barren in those days. Just last year it was a stop on the way to a Mt. Lassen/Crater Lake vacation for lunch. It had matured into a nice looking course. It still has the signature 600+ yard par 5 (#3). A separate mini-trip to [b]Fall River[/b] and also play [b]Lake Shastina [/b]sounds like a plan. [b]Lake Shastina[/b] seemed pretty wide open when I stopped for a look-see on one trip. Didn't know about the breweries but they definitely add an incentive.

[u]brentk14[/u]: Both [b]Eagle Point[/b] and [b]Centennial[/b] are in the plans since the trip passes through Medford on the way there and back. Should have mentioned that Klamath Brewery in Klamath Falls is also on the list (forgot). They didn't have "Butt-crack Brown" the last time it was visited. Maybe we will get "lucky" on the upcoming trip! The two breweries mentioned in Bend and Medford are now on the itinerary - thanks!

[u]bjackson[/u]: Gee, missing [b]Emerald Valley[/b] is an over site on my part. On other trips we have stayed in Cottage Grove and hit balls at a little range there to loosen up after the first long day of sitting in the car. Maybe searching for a Eugene course didn't bring up the Creswell opportunities. It looks to be a tough course with tougher putting. It will certainly be put on my "must play" list.

[b]Tokatee[/b] is one of my wife's favorite scenic course with abundant wildlife for oogling. Lodging in the area is quite limited however and no breweries (!). It may be the first course to skip and [b]Emerald Valley[/b] scheduled in its place.

As an overview, my intent is to play courses new to me this coming year. That way the "favorite" courses can be determined and future visits can include 4 or 5 courses that are the top experiences. So the list of courses in post #1 that have been played are lower on the desirable list than unplayed courses.

To that end, it seems [b]Black Butte[/b] and [b]Aspen Lakes[/b] in the Sisters area are similar in scenery and layout (according to their websites). Only one can be played this trip. Any strong feeling about the choice since [b]Black Butte[/b] has been played already?

Thanks once again for helping me filter and refine the trips. That is one reason the posting was started so early...it is a work in progress.

Sounds like a great coule of trips. I'm going to make a couple of suggestions that are not so common. Take a look at Crestview In Waldport. It is 30 miles or so south of Newport, which is on your way to Corvallis. The course is only nine holes, and was recently rebuilt by Dan Hixson of Wine Valley renown. I do a lot of fishing on the Alsea River, and when the fish aren't biting we head to Crestview. Greens fees are inexpensive, course is never crowded, and kept in pristine shape. It's not long (2600), not really difficult, but its really fun, with some great greens. Lunch or dinner at The Salty Dawg is highly recommended. Best dive food you can eat on the central coast. When you get to Corvallis, skip McMenamins. The beer is swill (in my experienced opinion). Hit up Flat Tail Brewing. Better food and beer. Much better.

Block 15 is probably the most popular place to eat in Corvallis. It is at the intersection of 3rd and Jefferson. The beer is good, and the food is fine too. Flat Tail is a good choice too. If you are looking for a little more upscale dining Big River (1st and Jackson) is a nice place.

When you are in Newport, there are 2 Rogue locations. One at the brewery, and one in downtown. If one is packed (pretty common) ask them about seating at the other location.

Local Oceans in Newport is very good too and worth a look.

[u]VinceFurnier[/u] and [u]WS6[/u]: Thanks for the tips on golf and brew. In Corvallis, Block 15 and Flat Tail have both been made waypoints on my map program. McMenamins will be skipped. They had fairly poor reviews anyway.

Not sure a nine at Crestview can be fit into this trip but it will be kept in mind.

The map program did show the other Rogue Brewery in Newport. Crowds are not my thing so the remote location may be tried first.

Many of the courses you're looking at are on golfnow.com. Definitely take a look there and save some money.

I live in Roseburg and have played many of the courses you're looking at. I'd suggest you spend a few more days in Bend. The golf is so good over there.

[quote name='soregongolfer' timestamp='1387687842' post='8334243']
Many of the courses you're looking at are on golfnow.com. Definitely take a look there and save some money.

I live in Roseburg and have played many of the courses you're looking at. I'd suggest you spend a few more days in Bend. The golf is so good over there.
[/quote]

Thanks. The "more time in Bend" idea is becoming increasingly attractive. That would mean [b]Running Y[/b] would be skipped and a longer drive from N. Cal straight to Bend (435 mi., 6.5 hours). [b]Running Y[/b] has recently been played so nothing is being lost there since new experiences are being sought.

That will mean three days in the Bend area. Presently, [b]Widgi[/b], [b]Aspen Lakes[/b] (Sisters), and [b]Black Butte[/b] (Sisters) are currently on the play list. [b]Sunriver[/b] and [b]Pronghorn[/b] are considered out of my league nowadays.

There is not much information about [b]Lost Tracks[/b] in Bend other than their website. It appears to be similar to [b]Widgi[/b]. Is it worth a look?

[b]Tetherow[/b] may go back on the list since apparently it is unique (or quirky?).

10 Barrel in Bend has some really good beer too, it is worth a trip.

I will echo the comments above, Tetherow is not that fun. The slopes in the greens are really overdone on some holes. I like CrossWater much better. I like Juniper ( [url="http://www.playjuniper.com/"]http://www.playjuniper.com/[/url] ) better too. I have never played Pronghorn.

I saw you said you were not planning on going to Bandon Dunes. Bandon Dunes is the easiest walk there, and it is the only course where the 9th hole comes back to the clubhouse. They have a 9 hole rate too.

[quote name='garywdixon' timestamp='1387723117' post='8335001']
[quote name='soregongolfer' timestamp='1387687842' post='8334243']

[/quote]

Thanks. The "more time in Bend" idea is becoming increasingly attractive. That would mean [b]Running Y[/b] would be skipped and a longer drive from N. Cal straight to Bend (435 mi., 6.5 hours). [b]Running Y[/b] has recently been played so nothing is being lost there since new experiences are being sought.

That will mean three days in the Bend area. Presently, [b]Widgi[/b], [b]Aspen Lakes[/b] (Sisters), and [b]Black Butte[/b] (Sisters) are currently on the play list. [b]Sunriver[/b] and [b]Pronghorn[/b] are considered out of my league nowadays.

There is not much information about [b]Lost Tracks[/b] in Bend other than their website. It appears to be similar to [b]Widgi[/b]. Is it worth a look?

[b]Tetherow[/b] may go back on the list since apparently it is unique (or quirky?).
[/quote]

Lost Tracks left a very bad taste in my mouth. First they overcharged me and I had to fight them with the use of a smartphone to get the proper rate. Then I was chastised for taking their cart out to the parking lot to load up my clubs. As far as the course, it's a beautiful course and well maintained. However, most of the holes are doglegs and short on the first part of the dogleg....meaning you're hitting something shorter from the tee and then hitting something longer from the fairway. Overall, I won't be going back there.

Since you're thinking about spending more time in the Bend area, try Juniper. It's a terrific desert course. An oasis in the middle of the desert. I love that course. It's maintained well, good price and has beautiful scenery.

I've also played Widgi. It's a terrific, mountain course. It's definitely on my repeat play list. I'd happily play Aspen Lakes against as well.

[color=#282828]Fall (coast):[/color]
[color=#282828]>Day 1: Drive to [/color][url="http://viglink.pgpartner.com/rd.php?r=5316&m=1432927103&q=n&rdgt=1387652932&it=1387825732&et=1388257732&priceret=14.99&pg=~~3&k=9afca781793c489577eff4401d099314&source=feed&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Eamazon%2Ecom%2Fdp%2FB00FFOXRU6%2Fref%3Dasc%5Fdf%5FB00FFOXRU62869451%3Fsmid%3DA41HG5T7R7WMG%26tag%3Dpgmp%2D1585%2D01%2D20%26linkCode%3Dasn%26creative%3D395109%26creativeASIN%3DB00FFOXRU6&st=feed&mt=~~~~~~~~n~~~"]Medford[/url][color=#282828] [/color][color=#282828](300 mi.)[/color]
[color=#282828]>Day 2: Play [/color][b]Eagle Point[/b][color=#282828] or [/color][b]Centennial[/b][color=#282828]. Drive to Brookings (130 mi.)[/color]
[color=#282828]>Day 3: Play [/color][b]Salmon Run[/b][color=#282828]. Drive to Florence (160 mi.)[/color]
[color=#282828]>Day 4: Play [/color][b]Sandpines [/b][color=#282828]then drive to Lincoln City (70 mi.)[/color]
[color=#282828]>Day 5: Play [/color][b]Salishan[/b][color=#282828] [/color][color=#282828]then drive to [/color][color=#282828]Corvallis[/color][color=#282828] [/color][color=#282828](70 mi.)[/color]
[color=#282828]>Day 6: Play [/color][b]Trysting Tree[/b][color=#282828] [/color][color=#282828]then drive to [/color][url="http://viglink.pgpartner.com/rd.php?r=5316&m=1432927103&q=n&rdgt=1387652932&it=1387825732&et=1388257732&priceret=14.99&pg=~~3&k=9afca781793c489577eff4401d099314&source=feed&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Eamazon%2Ecom%2Fdp%2FB00FFOXRU6%2Fref%3Dasc%5Fdf%5FB00FFOXRU62869451%3Fsmid%3DA41HG5T7R7WMG%26tag%3Dpgmp%2D1585%2D01%2D20%26linkCode%3Dasn%26creative%3D395109%26creativeASIN%3DB00FFOXRU6&st=feed&mt=~~~~~~~~n~~~"]Medford[/url][color=#282828] [/color][color=#282828](210 mi.)[/color]
[color=#282828]>Day 7: Play [/color][b][url="http://viglink.pgpartner.com/rd.php?r=5316&m=972227786&q=n&rdgt=1387641382&it=1387814182&et=1388246182&priceret=189.95&pg=~~3&k=c9e46cfb48fdcde6a14771b60bc4fd7b&source=feed&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Eamazon%2Ecom%2Fdp%2FB006BAG8NG%2Fref%3Dasc%5Fdf%5FB006BAG8NG2855929%3Fsmid%3DA151DFB5VQBO8M%26tag%3Dpgmp%2D1585%2D01%2D20%26linkCode%3Dasn%26creative%3D395109%26creativeASIN%3DB006BAG8NG&st=feed&mt=~~~~~~~~n~~~"]Eagle Point[/url][/b][color=#282828] or [/color][b]Centennial[/b][color=#282828] [/color][color=#282828](the one not played on Day 2). Rest in [/color][url="http://viglink.pgpartner.com/rd.php?r=5316&m=1432927103&q=n&rdgt=1387652932&it=1387825732&et=1388257732&priceret=14.99&pg=~~3&k=9afca781793c489577eff4401d099314&source=feed&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Eamazon%2Ecom%2Fdp%2FB00FFOXRU6%2Fref%3Dasc%5Fdf%5FB00FFOXRU62869451%3Fsmid%3DA41HG5T7R7WMG%26tag%3Dpgmp%2D1585%2D01%2D20%26linkCode%3Dasn%26creative%3D395109%26creativeASIN%3DB00FFOXRU6&st=feed&mt=~~~~~~~~n~~~"]Medford[/url][color=#282828].[/color]
[color=#282828]>Day 8: Home (300 mi[/color][color=#282828]If i had[/color]

[color=#282828]If I had to choose between Eagle Point and Centennial, I'd choose Eagle Point. It's a nice course. It has a mountain type course feel though it's really not in the mountains. Their head pro, Patrick, is a buddy and a terrific guy as well. Centennial is a good course as well. It has a links feel, but it's still a young course that needs maturing. Both are good but EP gets the nod by a little.[/color]

[color=#282828]Salmon Run is ok. It's not something I'd drive out of the way for because I like to grip it and rip it and that type of play will be killed by Salmon Run. You can almost leave your driver in the car. Not the type of fun I'm looking for. YMMV.[/color]

[color=#282828]I love Sandpines. It's a good test on a well maintained course. Most holes you can bomb on, but there are a few you need to be precise on. It's about a two hour drive for me and I try to make it every year. [/color]

[color=#282828]Salishan....It's a nice course and has a good reputation, but it's overpriced for me. [/color]

[color=#282828]Trysting Tree is an ok course, but not a destination course. It's certainly a step below Salishan and Sandpines. Probably below Eagle Point as well. But there's really nothing else in the area. Some folks like Diamond Woods, but I've been there twice and won't return. The conditions have been bad both times. [/color]

Boy, starting this thread has been a boon for planning these two trips. Very valuable information and so many informed choices. Thanks for everyone's contribution.

[b]Eagle Point[/b] and [b]Centennial[/b] are both new to me so I'd like to play both. Which is first or second will depend on the availability of a tee time on a Monday / Friday.

[b]Juniper[/b] in Redmond was looked at (website and reviews) and indeed is a desert course. It appears that anything off the fairway is in the desert rocks. It also is characterized as a "local knowledge" course according to the reviews. It will be visited to personally view its features because of recommendations on GolfWRX and also the Internet.

[b]Eagle Crest - Ridge[/b] in Redmond seems to be more of a course that suits my mediocre game. Any thoughts on this course?

[b]Salmon Run[/b] in Brookings has been played a couple of times and [u]soregongolfer[/u]'s opinion is spot on. Tight, soggy, a lot of lost balls are my recollections. It is beautiful on the positive side. It is seriously being reconsidered and may be skipped since it is out of the way and lengthens the trip by quite a bit.

[b]Lost Tracks[/b] and [b]Tetherow[/b] are out for now.

[b]Eagle Crest - Ridge[/b] is currently the choice along with [b]Widgi[/b] and [b]Aspen Lakes[/b] in the Bend area.But nothing is set in stone.

To summarize the Spring trip:
[b]Widgi[/b]
[b]Aspen Lakes[/b]
[b]Eagle Crest - Ridge[/b]
[b]Emerald Valley [/b]
[b]Myrtle Creek[/b]

Planning the first week in May. April seems early in the Bend area.

[quote name='KSI' timestamp='1387772067' post='8337831']
What about Bandon Crossings in Bandon? It seems to fit all of your requirements.
[/quote]

Thanks for the suggestion. I did check their website, options in the area, and in the Coos Bay/North Bend region. The course gets excellent reviews on several levels.

If [b]Salmon Run[/b] hadn't been skipped on the most recent revision then [b]Bandon Crossings[/b] would fit in quite well. It is a bit out of the way as of now since that coastal area will be bypassed.

It has been bookmarked as a waypoint on the map program. If not this coming Fall Trip then it can be included in a future excursion - particularly one that concentrates solely on coastal courses. That may be the next year (2015).

After a hot summer in the Sacramento Valley it is a welcome relief to spend some time on the Pacific Coast. That is one of the reasons for the upcoming exploratory trip. Find what we like and then add a new course or two on the next trip is the ultimate plan.

Thanks to all that have contributed information for these two trips.

I printed out the itinerary for the Spring Trip and put it in an envelope under the Christmas tree. My wife was thrilled on Christmas morning.

I did mention that the trip was a general outline and that some changes may occur as more suggestions from GolfWRX become available.

She doesn't know about the Fall Trip yet. It will likely be saved for this summer and given after we have a week of 110* temperatures.

Posted with great appreciation.

• 2 weeks later...

Last summer I played centennial & eagle point,I liked eagle point better.The best course in my opinion in that area is Rogue valley CC.it is private but guests are allowed with members.I would send them an email and let them know when your coming,maybe they would allow you to play since you are a single.I played 3 rounds there and really a nice group of guys.

TM R1 Tp
Miura CB501's W/recoil proto's
Miura 52,56,60
Machine Damascus Steel

[quote name='BigHunk' timestamp='1389238296' post='8426067']
Last summer I played centennial & eagle point,I liked eagle point better.The best course in my opinion in that area is Rogue valley CC.it is private but guests are allowed with members.I would send them an email and let them know when your coming,maybe they would allow you to play since you are a single.I played 3 rounds there and really a nice group of guys.
[/quote]

The Eagle Point preference has come through in other posts as well.

Thanks for the advice. Rogue Valley CC will be explored. The downside, of course, is that it is private but it doesn't hurt to ask. Maybe they will have an opening on an especially slow day that they would open up to a traveler. Even better, a GolfWRX member might be affiliated with Rogue Valley and willing to endure a duffer for a round.

[quote name='GWD' timestamp='1387596560' post='8330455']
I didn't really want to breach the subject of breweries since this is a golf forum and beer is such a personal taste issue. But......these trips are going to be golf / brewery centered.

[u]Spring[/u]:
>Bend - Bend Brewery, Deschutes Brewing
>Sisters - Three Creeks Brewing
>Roseburg - Roseburg Station Brewery
>Ashland - Caldera Brewing

[u]Fall[/u]:
>Medford - Wild River Brewery, Bricktowne Brewery
>Newport - Rogue Brewery
>Corvallis - McMenamin's Pub

Now that my secret is out. Any recommendations?
[/quote]

I'll start with golf. If you aren't interested in getting beat up, do skip Tetherow, I love it, but it's not for the faint of heart. Tokatee has been great the last couple years, and Running Y is awesome, finally experienced it this fall. I think Salishan is overrated (their spa is not however, amazing), and I'd rather play Sandpines twice, or even a cheap round at Ocean Dunes (short and tight). Emerald is much improved in the last five years, Diamond Woods in Eugene area is nice too.

I like Trysting, but wouldn't go out of my way. I would recommend a stop on the way Lake Shastina. It's an RTJ Jr course, and wide and fun, if overwatered.

For beer, I have stronger opinions. Go anywhere in Bend but Deschutes, that isn't microbrew. 10 Barrel and Boneyard would be my top choices there. Ditto McMenamins in Corvallis, their beer isn't impressive. Hit 15 Block or Flat Tail instead. 15 Block makes the better beer, Flat Tail has amazing food.

And how are you doing a beer tour without going to Eugene? That's like going to Russian River and not trying Pliny. Oakshire, Ninkasi, Hop Valley, Planktown, Falling Sky. Eugene is the mecca of craft beer. On a limited time frame, I'd hit Oakshire (best beer) and then make a stop at the Bier Stein to try a few of their 24+ rotating taps from all over the world (thebierstein.com).

Enjoy your trips!

edit: corrected link, thanks bjackson!

[quote name='Gachnar' timestamp='1389498542' post='8444783']
...and then make a stop at the Bier Stein to try a few of their 24+ rotating taps from all over the world (bierstein.com)...
[/quote]

I'm SOOO excited to visit to the new location when I visit next week! Mona Lisa sandwich + beer cheese soup + something on tap. Yum.

Also the correct URL is [url="http://thebierstein.com/"]thebierstein.com[/url]