2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Titleist 755 vs 735

slash77

I currently play the 735s which I like a lot but I'm thinking of getting the 755s. What are people's thoughts on these irons? Also, what are the differences between the S300 and Tri-Spec shafts?

Titleist 913D2 9.5 Aldila RIP 70x
Titleist 913F 15 Diamana 82 s
Titleist 913H 17 Phenom x
Titleist 714 CB 3-9 X100
Titleist Scotty Cameron Newport 2
Titleist Vokey Raw Black SM5 46, 54, 58

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have both sets. The 755's are kinda like 735's on auto-pilot. A lot of forgiveness in a not-too big head. They look very similar at address. The 735's might launch marginally lower, but not a lot in my experience. I have S300's in both sets. The 755's do have progressively variable hosel lengths to lower the center of gravity on the long irons, so I decided against the flighted tri-spec (three 'flights' throughout the set) and am glad I went with the S300's, as they launch plenty high enough. I have not measured them yet, but the 755's feel lighter overall. Makes me wonder where the swingweight came out. I have both sets in the forged stainless material, and I was pleasantly surprised that the 755's feel a little more lively at impact. That aluminum chip and thinner faces gives them a little hotter feel with a slight "click" sound at impact. The 735's are a little "thuddy" in comparison, at least in the stainless iteration. As far as workability, you won't loose much with the 755's over the 735's. The short irons are more workable than the long irons, but that's true of the 735's as well. Overall, the mis-hit forgiveness of the 755's is going to be the big selling point over the 735's. I think of the 755's kind of like a Ping i5 that is more streamlined and slightly more workable with a forged feel. Two good sets. You have your work cut out deciding. :drinks:

I can only comment on the 755's but I think they're the best feeling iron I've ever hit, and I've played TM Miura CB's, MP 29's, old Hogan Apex blades. Maybe the DG shafts have something to do with it, but they feel sweet to me :drinks:

Srixon Zx5 MKII 9.5* Lin-Q Gunmetal 6

Callaway Paradym HL (set to 15.5*) Speeder Evolution V 661

Tour Edge Exotics E722 18* Ventus Blue 6
Ping i530 5-UW Alta CB Black

Ping Glide 4.0 50* SS, 54* WS KBS Tour
Callaway MD PM Grind Raw 58* KBS Tour
Toulon Garage Le Mans 
Titleist AVX/ProVI

Thanks for all the info. I do like the workability of the 735s and I'm a decent ball striker (I have a single digit HC), but there are tons of threads on this site raving about the 755s. How do they compare for distance. I did hit the 755s in a simulator, but it is hard to get a true feel for how they will react outside.

Titleist 913D2 9.5 Aldila RIP 70x
Titleist 913F 15 Diamana 82 s
Titleist 913H 17 Phenom x
Titleist 714 CB 3-9 X100
Titleist Scotty Cameron Newport 2
Titleist Vokey Raw Black SM5 46, 54, 58

I have both sets. The 755's are kinda like 735's on auto-pilot. A lot of forgiveness in a not-too big head. They look very similar at address. The 735's might launch marginally lower, but not a lot in my experience. I have S300's in both sets. The 755's do have progressively variable hosel lengths to lower the center of gravity on the long irons, so I decided against the flighted tri-spec (three 'flights' throughout the set) and am glad I went with the S300's, as they launch plenty high enough. I have not measured them yet, but the 755's feel lighter overall. Makes me wonder where the swingweight came out. I have both sets in the forged stainless material, and I was pleasantly surprised that the 755's feel a little more lively at impact. That aluminum chip and thinner faces gives them a little hotter feel with a slight "click" sound at impact. The 735's are a little "thuddy" in comparison, at least in the stainless iteration. As far as workability, you won't loose much with the 755's over the 735's. The short irons are more workable than the long irons, but that's true of the 735's as well. Overall, the mis-hit forgiveness of the 755's is going to be the big selling point over the 735's. I think of the 755's kind of like a Ping i5 that is more streamlined and slightly more workable with a forged feel. Two good sets. You have your work cut out deciding. :drinks:

Thanks for the detailed explanation.

This is the exact answer I was looking for.

How about the leading edge on the 735? It seems to be "sharper" then the 755. Would maybe out perform in hard conditions vs the 755. Or be better for a sweeper. I haven't played the 755 but it may have a better profile for normal to softer condition or a more aggressive attack.

Agree?

I was interested in getting the 735 CM's myself. I'm about a 10 handicapper and I have a demo 6 iron Titleist 690MB that I take out of my bag sometimes and I'm loving that forged blady feel. Since the 735 set includes those muscle-style clubs in the shorter irons I figured the set would be dead on for me. But I noticed a ton of the Titleist tour pro's are playing the 755. Far more than are playing the 735.

Maybe I should stay with the larger more forgiving 755. If it's good enough for the TP's...

(I currently hit the RAC LT's and I strike the ball fairly consistently)

Your thoughts?

I compared the 755's and 735's and got a better ball flight with the 735's... so got a set of the Chrome 735's for myself and love them.

You can read what others write... but it means nothing till you test the things to see how

they work for you.

My favorite clubs in the set are 8,9 and PW blades - would love to get these blades down to

the 5 iron. They look great to my eye, feel great and give me a good consistent straight ball flight.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with you! 755's are chunky and I don't understand a TP playing them!

Just surprised myself with the feel of a similar set to the 735!

The Bridgestone J33 combo's have the same formula as the 735's.

The major difference is in the sole grind. They will not dig, and there is

the professional touch of heel and toe relief!

I'd like to see comparison reviews of these two sets!

I agree with you! 755's are chunky and I don't understand a TP playing them!

Just surprised myself with the feel of a similar set to the 735!

The Bridgestone J33 combo's have the same formula as the 735's.

The major difference is in the sole grind. They will not dig, and there is

the professional touch of heel and toe relief!

I'd like to see comparison reviews of these two sets!

Go to the Titleist web site and you will see quite a few Titleist staff touring pros using the 755's. Perhaps because of the extra forgiveness.

gb

I agreed with the fact that it doesn't much matter what others write, you have to test for yourself!

As far as 755 feeling chunky....that is how it feels to me.

Let's get real. A pro could play any club. They don't need the help on off center hits.

If you hit the sweet spot on any club, it doesn't matter.

The reason Titleist tour pro's are playing 755 is that it is their new launch. What better way to market a new

product than to have your elite play them?

MacGregor, when you mention Callaway, Cobra and Ping contracted professionals.....they are doing their job of representing and marketing. Do these companies make true blades? What else could they play?

EE and Lefty could play any iron head, as long as the shaft and specs are right for them.

If a company sells only to the masses, they will only promote what they sell.

Hence, no blades for EE, Lefty, Goose and Poulter.

DLIII and Bill Haas, played the Honda....both playing blades. It depends on their contract and available product.

EE and Lefty moved for the green backs, not the cavity backs!

I agreed with the fact that it doesn't much matter what others write, you have to test for yourself!

As far as 755 feeling chunky....that is how it feels to me.

Let's get real. A pro could play any club. They don't need the help on off center hits.

If you hit the sweet spot on any club, it doesn't matter.

The reason Titleist tour pro's are playing 755 is that it is their new launch. What better way to market a new

product than to have your elite play them?

MacGregor, when you mention Callaway, Cobra and Ping contracted professionals.....they are doing their job of representing and marketing. Do these companies make true blades? What else could they play?

EE and Lefty could play any iron head, as long as the shaft and specs are right for them.

If a company sells only to the masses, they will only promote what they sell.

Hence, no blades for EE, Lefty, Goose and Poulter.

DLIII and Bill Haas, played the Honda....both playing blades. It depends on their contract and available product.

EE and Lefty moved for the green backs, not the cavity backs!

wow...ok for one in case you haven't noticed with titleist, they really don't care which model irons a staffer for them plays, so long as they are one of their models. sure companies would like to get players in whatever their newest iron is, but it doesn't always happen. explain ping guy still playing eye2's, or eye 3's even? how bout cobra making blades for ogilvy and poulter (not 100% which cobras poulter plays) that they don't even offer the public? or how about basically every titelist guy playing some prototype club whether it be the driver, hybrid, vokeys, or putter that they don't offer the public? tour players play what they like to look at, what they like the feel of and what gets the job done for them. sure the company would love it if they could get them in something that is as close to or maybe even the exact thing they sell over the counter, but bottom line is long as it has their brand on it, they don't care...btw I'm 99% sure Bill Haas plays 755

not to hijack the thread though...

I played 690mb's the last few years, and basically had the 755's force fed on me by a friend who is kind of a golfing mentor to me. I hated the idea at first, but after I put them in play for a few weeks I turned out loving it. I didn't lose any workability or trajectory control, and hit them almost a club higher throughout the set. The feel isn't as soft as the 690's, but to me I get just as much feedback. I've tested the 735's too in chrome, and I liked them a lot too. As surprised as I've been with the workability of the 755's, I've had no reason to change. You have to hit them both though. You'll get different asnwers from everyone depending on what fits their eye. I've always been a blade player until this set, but maybe it's the bit of added offset in the 755's that makes them work for me, I wish I knew. That same thing could make someone else completely hate them. I'd find a way to get your hands on some demos that you could keep with you for a decent amount of time and just test the hell out of them, on course and on the range

I'm a 10 handicap who use to own a set of chrome 735's. The 735's are a great set, but not as forgiving as I was hopping them to be. I tried the 755's and loved them. For me the 755's are much more forgiving on mishits. Try both before you buy. Don't be like me and buy one set, use it for a few months, and then take a hugh lose on trading them in

Titleist 915 D3 10.5 Rogue 60x
Titleist AP1 714 KBS Tour and AP2 712 KBS C-Taper
Titleist 54+58
Scotty Futura X

I'm a 10 handicap who use to own a set of chrome 735's. The 735's are a great set, but not as forgiving as I was hopping them to be. I tried the 755's and loved them. For me the 755's are much more forgiving on mishits. Try both before you buy. Don't be like me and buy one set, use it for a few months, and then take a hugh lose on trading them in

Titleist 915 D3 10.5 Rogue 60x
Titleist AP1 714 KBS Tour and AP2 712 KBS C-Taper
Titleist 54+58
Scotty Futura X

• 2 months later...