2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Miura K Grind 64 -Fast, Humped, Undulating Greens

SwingMan

While I was inquiring about clubs, Frank Viola (aceofclubstp.com) mentioned that several of his players had requested a higher lofted Miura lob wedge that would stop on undulating and crowned greens where they needed the ball to drop and stop immediately, or where the greenskeeper places the pin on a break.

Mr. Miura agreed to personally hand grind a K Grind 64 degree lob wedge with 6 degrees of bounce in a medium sole. I asked Frank to let me know when he received them from Miura-san.

Frank sent these pics yesterday - there are only 12 of these in the world and only available through him. I guess that would be an extremely limited edition.

My experience is with the Miura 56 K Grind and it is an impressive wedge from any lie, even tight-ish lies with its 12 degrees of bounce. The notched sole works to reduce drag in the wet, rough, and sand. The balance of that club, which was made by Frank, was superb and feel was solid yet easy on the hands (soft).

This 64 has half that amount of bounce of the 56 - not too little, not too much. In the pic, he has paired it with an Aerotech i125 Wedge Shaft - which over the years I fondly remember as a favorite. But with Frank, everything is a custom setup.

If you want one ... probably a necessity for Miura aficionados who play on fast, humped and/or undulating greens and need an immediate stop.

They look impressive!

Can't wait for one with my name to arrive...

Father, Wannabe Golfer, Novelist

• Ping G430 Max 9/TPT 19Hi @45.25
  • Ping G430 3 wd/TPT 19 Hi
  • Callaway Paradym 18 w/TPTGolf 18 Hi
  • Ping G430 4H & 5H w/TPTGolf Hybrid Shaft
  • Ping i230 6-PW Recoil Dart 90
  • Artisan 50, 55, 59 w/ Nippon 105 Wedge
  • Putter:  LAB Cobalt Blue DF3 w/TPT Shaft
  • Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x
  • Ping ChipR in messy or no turf conditions

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh man, I've been trying for years to ask them to build me a 64-deg wedge...! Thank you for posting this! I'm e-mailing Frank right now.

[color=#5A5A5A][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3]
[color=#808080][size=2][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]_________________________________[/font][/size][/color]
[color=#808080][size=2][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]Epon AF-153 / TRPX M1st[/font][/size][/color]
[color=#808080][size=2][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]Ryoma 2017 F5[/font][/size][/color]
[color=#808080][size=2][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]A-Grind CMB2 DI / Crazy STP[/font][/size][/color]
[color=#808080][size=2][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]Miura HB3 18 / ProjX[/font][/size][/color]
[color=#808080][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif][size=2]Seven MCB 5-AW[/size][/font][/color][/size][/font][/color][color=#5A5A5A][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3]
[color=#808080][size=2][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]A-Grind 56-onset / NS WV105[/font][/size][/color]
[color=#808080][size=2][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]Cally forged copper 64 / DGspin[/font][/size][/color]
[color=#808080][size=2][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]Seven Benock Pantaleone [/font][/size][/color][/size][/font][/color]

I don't know Frank but I like his style.

I have the K in 52, 56 & 60.

I experimented with a Cleaveland 64 degree a few years ago to see what all hoopla was about. Fun to fool around with but I could see it costing me more strokes than my 60 degree. Those shots just aren't in my game.

SYard T388
TaylorMade RBZ 13-15
Miura CB-57 3-PW
Miura 51Y, 52K,56K, 57C, 60K
Old Titleist Blade

I'm all Miura except for my 64*. Have been using the Callaway Forged Copper for years while trying to get Miura to make me one. I spend most Saturday afternoons hitting 64's in my backyard, and i can't tell you how much my short game is bumped up by having these shots in my bag.

[color=#808080][size=2][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]_________________________________[/font][/size][/color]
[color=#808080][size=2][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]Epon AF-153 / TRPX M1st[/font][/size][/color]
[color=#808080][size=2][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]Ryoma 2017 F5[/font][/size][/color]
[color=#808080][size=2][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]A-Grind CMB2 DI / Crazy STP[/font][/size][/color]
[color=#808080][size=2][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]Miura HB3 18 / ProjX[/font][/size][/color]
[color=#808080][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif][size=2]Seven MCB 5-AW[/size][/font][/color][/size][/font][/color][color=#5A5A5A][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3]
[color=#808080][size=2][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]A-Grind 56-onset / NS WV105[/font][/size][/color]
[color=#808080][size=2][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]Cally forged copper 64 / DGspin[/font][/size][/color]
[color=#808080][size=2][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]Seven Benock Pantaleone [/font][/size][/color][/size][/font][/color]

[quote name='RLL33' timestamp='1389714354' post='8458355']
I'm all Miura except for my 64*. Have been using the Callaway Forged Copper for years while trying to get Miura to make me one. I spend most Saturday afternoons hitting 64's in my backyard, and i can't tell you how much my short game is bumped up by having these shots in my bag.
[/quote]

I suppose practing would help me with those shots......I find myself in conflct. I'm fairly certain that I don't [i]need[/i] a 64 degree wedge but I also have a feeling that my 52,56 & 60Ks would probably like having their baby brother in the bag so they can be all one happy family.

After you find out how much they're charging for these could you shoot me a PM and let me know the damage??? I might tap on one solely in the interest of familial harmony. .

SYard T388
TaylorMade RBZ 13-15
Miura CB-57 3-PW
Old Titleist Blade

Be glad to. (And I understand... <g> )

[quote name='RLL33' timestamp='1389715652' post='8458539']
[/quote]

I've tried a 62 with success ... getting the 64, especially for use on postage stamp, crowned, and sloping greens when I am not GIR (often), or on my former home course with huge undulating greens where it is best to fly it to the hole.

• Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x

[quote name='SwingMan' timestamp='1389717130' post='8458689']
[quote name='RLL33' timestamp='1389715652' post='8458539']
[/quote]

I've tried a 62 with success ... getting the 64, especially for use on postage stamp, crowned, and sloping greens when I am not GIR (often), or on my former home course with huge undulating greens where it is best to fly it to the hole.
[/quote]

They'll be several 60+ degree wedges in play at Pinehurst this summer.....

SYard T388
TaylorMade RBZ 13-15
Miura CB-57 3-PW
Old Titleist Blade

Just had a great long talk with Frank, and ordered mine. My thanks again -- this really makes my day!

That would be a great shot to have, or even see for that matter. Almost every guy I've played with (+1 to 8's) costs himself more strokes than he gains with anything 60* or higher, especially with low bounce and when trying to lob it up to a plateau. In fact Lefty is about the only one I've seen pull it off anywhere near consistently. Good on ya if you've got that shot, it would be awesome to have.

Great-looking wedge, BTW!!

[quote name='MizzyMan' timestamp='1389737045' post='8460925']
That would be a great shot to have, or even see for that matter. Almost every guy I've played with (+1 to 8's) costs himself more strokes than he gains with anything 60* or higher, especially with low bounce and when trying to lob it up to a plateau. In fact Lefty is about the only one I've seen pull it off anywhere near consistently. Good on ya if you've got that shot, it would be awesome to have.

[/quote]

I think it's a practice thing. I spend 30 minutes with a 60 every time I go to the range. If I spent that much time with a 64...

I haven't seen any 64 degree wedges with a bounce higher than 7 (other than Edel) - if you come in shallow and the leading edge is dulled, usually you're fine. In theory, the 64 ought to be a more precise club in terms of aim, if you practice with it, as there is no need to open - just allow the club to do the work.

• Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x

[quote name='SwingMan' timestamp='1389740719' post='8461233']
[quote name='MizzyMan' timestamp='1389737045' post='8460925']

[/quote]

I think it's a practice thing. I spend 30 minutes with a 60 every time I go to the range. If I spent that much time with a 64...

I haven't seen any 64 degree wedges with a bounce higher than 7 (other than Edel) - if you come in shallow and the leading edge is dulled, usually you're fine. In theory, the 64 ought to be a more precise club in terms of aim, if you practice with it, as there is no need to open - just allow the club to do the work.
[/quote]

Yeah, I think the leading edge is key. The only 60's I ever had were sharp, no bueno. Some guys at the practice area thought I was preparing to lay some new irrigation lines when I practiced with them.

SwingMan has just revealed the secret. Using a 64 with ball forward in your stance and swinging square to the target is actually a much easier shot to hit than opening the face of a sand wedge and opening your stance, etc, which brings all kind of possibilities for error into the equation. The low bounce makes it even easier. Best way to practice it at the beginning is to just swing with one hand and make the ball move 1 yard. It's an easy sweeping motion, no digging whatsoever. And when you get it right, it's a shot that brings me the most pleasure, bar none.

Hi SwingMan. The only thing I can say is you have a huge amount of patience. Every time I have to tell one of my guys the waiting time for something special ordered and hand ground, either the time or the price, makes them have second thoughts.
The K grind in the 60 is phenomenal. The Y grind in the 51 is a favorite. It's versatility and playability is an amazement.

[quote name='RLL33' timestamp='1389743233' post='8461453']
SwingMan has just revealed the secret. Using a 64 with ball forward in your stance and swinging square to the target is actually a much easier shot to hit than opening the face of a sand wedge and opening your stance, etc, which brings all kind of possibilities for error into the equation. The low bounce makes it even easier. Best way to practice it at the beginning is to just swing with one hand and make the ball move 1 yard. It's an easy sweeping motion, no digging whatsoever. And when you get it right, it's a shot that brings me the most pleasure, bar none.
[/quote]

+ 1 to all the above; little right hand-only pitches are great for feel. Here's what knocked my Cleveland 62* out of the bag:

[attachment=2023187:image.jpg]

As for the fortunate 12 of you, enjoy your Miuras!

MODERN:
Yonex eZone 380 10*, Callaway X2 Hot Pro 4w 17*
Callaway Big Bertha Heavenwood 4-7h
Royal Collection Tour VS 8-PW
Fourteen MT28 J.Spec 52*, Yururi Chili 57*, Cleveland CG15 64*
Titleist Scotty Cameron Newport Beach
--------
CLASSIC (under construction):
'62 Hogan Power Thrust irons
--------
HICKORY:
Jack White JWX Model D driver, brassie & spoon
Mills BSD1 aluminium cleek
Tom Stewart mashie & niblick
George Nicoll spade mashie
Tom Morris mashie niblick
Gibson Skoogee niblick
Spalding HB putter

59 is plenty for me :)
props to frank for getting this
done for the boys!

I've never tried a 64, so you guys gaming them do you ditch your 60
and replace with a 64?

Epon EF-02D Diamana x17 6s

Epon AF-256 #3 Diamana x12 7s

Epon AF-256 #5 Diamana x12 7s

Epon AF-906 23 Tensei Ck pw hb90

Epon AF-506 #5-aw Tensei AM2Ws

Epon Tour wedge M56 DG spinner

Tad Moore handmade blade 

[quote name='Spoon' timestamp='1389856131' post='8469921']
and replace with a 64?
[/quote]

Yes. The 60-deg wedge was a first attempt (at the time) at designing a wedge to do what the 64 eventually came along and did. It's sort of in between a sand wedge and THE lob wedge, and you still have to open it up, change stance, etc, to get it to do what the 64 does straight up. A lot of the resistance to a 64 is psychological. If you have good touch, you realize immediately what a friend the 64 can be.

The media only has its typical room to talk about one pro who uses the 64, and that of course is Phil. But a lot more players use it. Watch Matt Kuchar, for instance. His short game has become dynamite with it, and he doesn't just use it to hit the high lob. In fact, with the ball back in your stance, hitting a normal pitch results in a low shot with speed brakes on it.

[quote name='RLL33' timestamp='1389885723' post='8471015']
[quote name='Spoon' timestamp='1389856131' post='8469921']
and replace with a 64?
[/quote]

Yes. The 60-deg wedge was a first attempt (at the time) at designing a wedge to do what the 64 eventually came along and did. It's sort of in between a sand wedge and THE lob wedge, and you still have to open it up, change stance, etc, to get it to do what the 64 does straight up. A lot of the resistance to a 64 is psychological. If you have good touch, you realize immediately what a friend the 64 can be.

The media only has its typical room to talk about one pro who uses the 64, and that of course is Phil. But a lot more players use it. Watch Matt Kuchar, for instance. His short game has become dynamite with it, and he doesn't just use it to hit the high lob. In fact, with the ball back in your stance, hitting a normal pitch results in a low shot with speed brakes on it.
[/quote]

yup i still manipulate my 59 shingo spec to make it behve like a 60+* tool.
how much will this 64 set me back?

Epon EF-02D Diamana x17 6s

Epon AF-256 #3 Diamana x12 7s

Epon AF-256 #5 Diamana x12 7s

Epon AF-906 23 Tensei Ck pw hb90

Epon AF-506 #5-aw Tensei AM2Ws

Epon Tour wedge M56 DG spinner

Tad Moore handmade blade 

Less than that Zen of yours that I ended up with... <g>

• 1 year later...

[quote name='MJisGOAT' timestamp='1428314866' post='11292895']
[quote name='Raidersgolf99' timestamp='1428289754' post='11292057']
Anybody know if Frank has any left?
[/quote]

Way overpriced
[/quote]

How much are they ?

Epon 103 9.5* Quadra Fire Express 75s
PXG 3 wood 15* GD Tour AD-DJ 7x
PXG 3 & 4 Hybrids GD Tour AD-DI hy85s
Miura CB 57s 5 - PW KBS C-Taper Lite S
Miura New Wedge Series 50 , 54 & 58
Yamada Shogun

[quote name='Raidersgolf99' timestamp='1428368417' post='11299009']
I think I remember hearing 275, correct me if I'm wrong.

I paid 215 new with steelfibers, shipped and delivered for my c grind(s).

275 not too far outta the realm if shafted, considering only 12 were made.
[/quote]

I expected and have since been informed that the 64 K is way more expensive then Miuras catalogued wedges .

Yamada Shogun

The price thru the one shop in the Northeast who had the custom miura k grinds made is 550 to 600 dollars for one wedge. That is ridicuolius, if u need a 64 go rotex 2.0 or the new PM grind from callaway that is avail for pre order in a week. You should be able to usa a 58 to 60 and learn to open it up. I'm not sure a 64 degree will have enough use to have it in your bag. Most pga tour guys have no higher then a 58 or 60. If you want the 64 the options I posted are AFFORDABLE

[quote name='flopshot99' timestamp='1428401340' post='11301087']
The price thru the one shop in the Northeast who had the custom miura k grinds made is 550 to 600 dollars for one wedge. That is ridicuolius, if u need a 64 go rotex 2.0 or the new PM grind from callaway that is avail for pre order in a week. You should be able to usa a 58 to 60 and learn to open it up. I'm not sure a 64 degree will have enough use to have it in your bag. Most pga tour guys have no higher then a 58 or 60. If you want the 64 the options I posted are AFFORDABLE
[/quote]Exactly, I can get three of the regular Miura wedges for the price of one nearly irrelevant 64° k. LG

@therealping

[quote name='MJisGOAT' timestamp='1428443048' post='11306179']
[quote name='flopshot99' timestamp='1428401340' post='11301087']
[/quote]Exactly, I can get three of the regular Miura wedges for the price of one nearly irrelevant 64° k. LG
[/quote]
+1
The club of which I am a member has very fast , humped and undulating greens and I do just fine with a 59 degree opened up .
I mean , how many times in a round of golf are you going to have a need to play a drop and stop ?
If its a high number then learning to use a 64 degree wedge is the last thing you should be concentrating your game on !
Quite clearly a bit of work's required in the area of finding a few more GIR .
Then , if you still need to work on the high flops , hit the practice area with a 58 - 60 degree wedge , open it up , open your stance up and get it happening for you .
64's aren't a great idea for most guys who's name isn't Phil !

Yamada Shogun