2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

banished from driving range

idrive400yards

tee'd off
If this is in the wrong place mods, you can relocate.

I'm sooo ticked off right now. I was at the driving range earlier today hitting balls with Iwillflyu and we used a bushnell laser range finder to measure distance to the back from where we were hitting, (behind this range there are 2 holes of their par three course) the pole measured out at 342 yards and the tee boxes are to the right and left of that another 15-20 yards back(50 yards of seperation between the two) and trees another 35-40 yards back of that. Well when we were hitting, a few balls happened to get away from us and we hit them by the tee boxes(not intentional by all means) and most of them went straight and a few landed in the trees. So I go back to the range tonight to hit some more and I was approached by the ranger and he told me about what we did, I apologized and said it was not intentional, so they moved me further back so that it wouldn't happen again(another 30 yards) Another employee came out and again repremanded me about what happened earlier today and earlier in the week(people said we were intentionally hitting where they were on the other side of the par three course) so I apologized to him AGAIN and we discussed an area where I could hit. I got a large bucket(110 balls) and began to hit, after hitting 45 or so balls 2 got away from me(left) and the employee said that I intentionally hit it to the left and over the fence(these were the only 2 balls he seen me hit) and then said I can no longer hit my drivers because of the danger of being hit by the balls(granted there was a tail wind blowing to the left at around 15-25 mph) but by all means with a 30 yard pull from where I was aiming, and from where I was hitting(342+30+20+30=422 yards) did I get there,(hit heel of driver) but any way he basically told me that I(we) need to find another driving range that can hold us so we can "just let it go". I had received for my birthday, range cards and tokens and asked for a refund(I used to spend ALOT of money there at the range) and will never ever go back! I now need to find another driving range!(for those who wish they could hit it farther be glad your not that long because now I feel descriminated against!)

Thanks for reading this long post, just had to vent.

idrive400yards

I forgot to add that after he told me to not hit the driver, i only had a 5 iron left in the bag so I hit that, when another person came to hit at the side I was at, he moved me up to the original hitting area(hitting that 290 with the wind) which also brought me closer to the par 3 course, what an idiot!

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow that is ridiculous. Sorry to hear about that.

Callaway Paradym AI Smoke Max TD 9° Project X Denali Blue 60

Callaway Paradym AI Smoke TD 3w Ventus Red 7

Callaway Paradym AI Smoke TD 7w Ventus Red 7 

Wilson Staff Model RB Utility (3 or 4?) HZRDUS Gen 4 Black 90

Wilson Dynapower Forged 5-G UST Recoil Dart 105

Wilson Staff Model ZM 56°-12° (Bent to 55°) and 60°-08° 

Royal Payne RP009 359g KBS GPS

Think about it ... you and the ranger both knew you can reach the tee box/par-3, even after you was moved back 30 yards. As such, from a legal stand point, you and the business can both be sued, not for intentional tort, but based on the failure to exercise due care after learning that your drives can reach the par-3 course.

I dont think you should be pissed.. you are putting yourself and range at risk of being sued BIGTIME. They are doing you a favor. You should actually know better. At the range I go to there is a long drive guy (Senior Remax prev winner) who hits late in the day and goes all the way to corner and aims at the opposite side of the range on a helping wind day...he just wont hit the driver.

I'm just jealous I have to hit Driver and lob wedge before I get 400 :rolleyes:

Woods : Callaway Razr TA, Titleist F3-05
Hybrid : Adams LSP XTD
Irons : Fourteen TC910 3&4I, Nike VRProCombo 5-PW
Wedges : Fourteen RM-11 54/60
Putter : Nike Method 003 Oven

This is what's wrong with America now! everyone thinks about sue this sue that. Sue becuase I spilled a hot drink on my self.

He said nothing about hitting anyone, why would sue come up? He didn't say anything about almost hitting anyone.

I think the reason it was brought up is because, even though he wasn't intentionally hitting at anyone, one on the tee box could assume he was and like you said everyone in this country thinks about who they can and can't sue.

It was merely a heads up for him to think about. He can say all day long that he wasn't trying to hit anyone, and let me say that I fully believe he wasn't trying (because you would have to be a moron or evil to hit at someone), but if someone felt like he was there could be trouble.

Just friends trying to help friends out!! :rolleyes:

So chill out man! :crazy:

Hmmm....I smell a bet. I'll be at Poppy on the 27th, let's hook up and find 400 yards for you pass with driver/lob wedge. And no blading the lob wedge! LOL....

Sorry idrive400yards, you cannot post here anymore, your signature is too long, it might crash into another post and wreck all kinds of havoc.....just kidding. 420yds, that is truly impressive. Kudos.

Personally I would be pissed if I was on the par 3 and a ball came whizzing bye. I can understand maybe its unintentional, but, still. You said you only brought a 5 iron and Driver right? Why not bring a whole set of golf clubs and work on some other parts of your game? Seems like they would be cool if you just hit the Driver a couple of times and then used some higher lofted clubs.

With that being said, its a free country and some people get different thrills from the game of golf. I know a few guys at my range , where we can hit unlimited amounts of balls all day long, who stay for hours hitting only Driver. There swinging as hard as they can and having a grand old time. I talk to these guys and they dont care if they can putt or shoot in the 70's. They hardly work on any other part of their game. They tell me they just like the thrill of Hitting huge drives and having people say "wow" you killed that one".

I was at the range today and one of the Driver boys was there also. Its always the same routine. He comes out and hits his SW 150 yrds and then starts talking to a guy next to him about how far he is hitting it thanks to his momentus and new core training. Then a soon as the guy next to him is hitting his Driver, like clockwork, he pulls his Driver and starts to hit balls further than him. Thats the thrill for him.

I personally love to watch a huge drive float down the fairway on the golf course, but on the range its just not the same. To be on the range and hear a guy wacking his Driver and hearing that crashing titanium sound over and over and over is annoying. But, if a person can be happy hitting their Driver all day long, I am not going to tell them not too. Golf is a game to enjoy. But if other paying customers feel in danger then I think they have the right to ask you to stop hitting your driver. The range is not a place where everybody wants to be noticed, some want to quietly work on their game without being disturbed. IF you were causing a disruption you gotta respect those guys at the range. just my 2 cents worth, Peace

I don't know why someone would be pissed if a ball came skipping by from 420 yards away. It's a feat that is pretty rare to see.

Honestly, I'd probably think it was funny. I could see it might be a danger if he was hitting 420 on the fly. Realistically, it's not going to hurt if a ball hits you on the bounce, roll, skip, et cetera.

If someone was annoyed at the driving range because of they constant sound of driver pings, they simply shouldn't be there. I can't think of anything more barf-inducing than whiny people who live to complain.

Not sure how far of a drive it'll be for you but they have plenty of room out at White Sands Missile Range! :rolleyes: J/K It's unfortunate that they're scaling ya'll back though, but I can see their point as well. Maybe they could be convinced to add some additional height to their nets or put more nets up?

WITB
Sim 9° Diamana Limited 
TM M3 15°
Adams Idea Pro 22°
Hogan Icons 4-P
Titleist SM8 50° 54° 60°
Callaway MD4 64°
Ping Sigma Darby

Hmmm....I smell a bet. I'll be at Poppy on the 27th, let's hook up and find 400 yards for you pass with driver/lob wedge. And no blading the lob wedge! LOL....

Sorry idrive400yards, you cannot post here anymore, your signature is too long, it might crash into another post and wreck all kinds of havoc.....just kidding. 420yds, that is truly impressive. Kudos.

Have you been watching me 10 yards short of the green lately or what, because I got that shot (blading)

I hit one 320 on thursday on Zin 5, yes downwind ofcourse. Nice to reach a par5 with a Driver/5Iron. I could have hit 400 with driver/lob that day. :crazy:

Woods : Callaway Razr TA, Titleist F3-05
Hybrid : Adams LSP XTD
Irons : Fourteen TC910 3&4I, Nike VRProCombo 5-PW
Wedges : Fourteen RM-11 54/60
Putter : Nike Method 003 Oven

Personally I would be pissed if I was on the par 3 and a ball came whizzing bye. I can understand maybe its unintentional, but, still. You said you only brought a 5 iron and Driver right? Why not bring a whole set of golf clubs and work on some other parts of your game? Seems like they would be cool if you just hit the Driver a couple of times and then used some higher lofted clubs.

With that being said, its a free country and some people get different thrills from the game of golf. I know a few guys at my range , where we can hit unlimited amounts of balls all day long, who stay for hours hitting only Driver. There swinging as hard as they can and having a grand old time. I talk to these guys and they dont care if they can putt or shoot in the 70's. They hardly work on any other part of their game. They tell me they just like the thrill of Hitting huge drives and having people say "wow" you killed that one".

I was at the range today and one of the Driver boys was there also. Its always the same routine. He comes out and hits his SW 150 yrds and then starts talking to a guy next to him about how far he is hitting it thanks to his momentus and new core training. Then a soon as the guy next to him is hitting his Driver, like clockwork, he pulls his Driver and starts to hit balls further than him. Thats the thrill for him.

I personally love to watch a huge drive float down the fairway on the golf course, but on the range its just not the same. To be on the range and hear a guy wacking his Driver and hearing that crashing titanium sound over and over and over is annoying. But, if a person can be happy hitting their Driver all day long, I am not going to tell them not too. Golf is a game to enjoy. But if other paying customers feel in danger then I think they have the right to ask you to stop hitting your driver. The range is not a place where everybody wants to be noticed, some want to quietly work on their game without being disturbed. IF you were causing a disruption you gotta respect those guys at the range. just my 2 cents worth, Peace

I only brought my drivers and a 5 iron(to warm up with) because my staff bag is being embroidered and the bag I was using already broke at the strap from carrying everything so i try to keep it light(have to use the carry handle) The only reason I hit alot of drivers is because of what I do, I don't practice anything else because even with alot of practice I will still suck as a golfer. At the time I was there I was the only one hitting at that section, so I dont think I was bothering anyone, and when I saw the headlights of the cart, I would wait to hit my next ball until they passed thru. I dont compare my drives to anyone except my longdrive team mate as we always try to better one another.

I dont think you should be pissed.. you are putting yourself and range at risk of being sued BIGTIME. They are doing you a favor. You should actually know better. At the range I go to there is a long drive guy (Senior Remax prev winner) who hits late in the day and goes all the way to corner and aims at the opposite side of the range on a helping wind day...he just wont hit the driver.

there are holes that are closer if I hit across the range on either side, I do know better but for him to say after only seeing me hit 2 balls left instead of watching me hit the other balls I had already hit, then he would know it was not intentional. So if your on a course and you get hit by someone else's ball you can sue? Then I think I'll go to more PGA tour events and go get hit by a ball, then I will never have to work again. (JK)

Think about it ... you and the ranger both knew you can reach the tee box/par-3, even after you was moved back 30 yards. As such, from a legal stand point, you and the business can both be sued, not for intentional tort, but based on the failure to exercise due care after learning that your drives can reach the par-3 course.

I reached the tee box in the afternoon session, hence the move back another 30 yards(still a 375-390 carry) I'm long but not consistantly that long. I wouldn't have a regular job if I was.

I think you should be banned :rolleyes: ..for being on kryptonite.

I also think it's fair that you were asked to not endanger other people. They could give you a special time..early in the morning or late at night when there won't any workers or players out there.

You are a LD guy with that kind of equipment. There aren't many ranges designed for that. You are endangering people...for sure...that alone should get you to go elsewhere..

I try to go when it's not peak time, I go mostly during early to mid afternoon and after 9pm, the range is open till midnight and have gone as late as 11pm. I try not to go to any ranges that are small and this one was long enough(except for windy days). Unfortunately what else can I do? I need to practice, just like everyone else. I would worry more about the hacks that hit the ball sideways(infront of you) or the people who have no clue whatsoever how to grip, hold, swing a club, or the drunks late at night that just run all over the place trying to hit the balls that are in front of them. So why aren't they banned? I would use people like me and my teammates as a marketing promotion for more business, but what do I know? Would they ban Tiger, Vijay, Phil, Bubba, Daly, J.B. Holmes if they hit there?

I don't know dude...It's not exactly new information that people don't like to get hit into or that golf courses / ranges / marshalls etc watch that stuff like hawks. Not to be rude, but I think you were being pretty negligent / show-offy to go hit there when it was blowing that hard down-wind. I've had to leave driver in the bag before...I think it's just common courtesy, not only to you, but the owner of the range...I'm sure they aren't happy about you hitting balls outside of the designated range area....how can you expect them to sponsor you or publicize you when you create a lot more work for them and potentially put their other customers in harm's way....that would be business suicide.

I don't know dude...It's not exactly new information that people don't like to get hit into or that golf courses / ranges / marshalls etc watch that stuff like hawks. Not to be rude, but I think you were being pretty negligent / show-offy to go hit there when it was blowing that hard down-wind. I've had to leave driver in the bag before...I think it's just common courtesy, not only to you, but the owner of the range...I'm sure they aren't happy about you hitting balls outside of the designated range area....how can you expect them to sponsor you or publicize you when you create a lot more work for them and potentially put their other customers in harm's way....that would be business suicide.

Do you people not get it!!! He is a long drive guy...he does not care how close he can hit his wedge at 100 yds; all he wants to do is hit his driver. If you would have been reading the post he wrote when he saw someone he waited to hit. I bet he keeps more balls on the range then the average hack that sprays balls everywhere. There should be no way that he should check for wind direction ad speed before he leaves his house so he can go hit on the range. As for the business aspect every long drive guy I know are the reason why most driving ranges stay alive or do well because they just feed the place with money.

DO NOT GIVE THEM BUSINESS ANYMORE!!! IF THEY WON"T HELP A GOOD CUSTOMER!!!

I have told the people that I brought into that range, and they will no longer go there too. I've been hitting there since I moved to NC 3 years ago, so why now all of a sudden there is a problem? It's not like I only hit there once, I mean they all know me/us there and have never been like this before.

I have told the people that I brought into that range, and they will no longer go there too. I've been hitting there since I moved to NC 3 years ago, so why now all of a sudden there is a problem? It's not like I only hit there once, I mean they all know me/us there and have never been like this before.

That to me is the crazy part. It seems like you knew the people there and have been there for awhile..I just don't get it. If I had customers such as yourself that have been here for 3 years and have brought more business to me I would try to accomidate you or at least make time for you.....bad business IMO.

Let me ask you something...

If you were on that tee box 400 yards or less away and you got beaned in the head from a guy flexing his muscles impressing the NC Nascar good ol boys ( I can say that since I live in NC :rolleyes: ) on the driving range, would you be pissed? What if it hit you in the eye and you lost vison? Would you sue? I've seen it happen. Or lets say it one hops into your nuts or cracks a rib? You'd take action right?!?

Well, the OWNERS of the range/course do not want to see that happen to an innocent golfer out for a nice round only to be SUED in court for lack of action against you and then lose everything. Think about it.