2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Tour AD DI 6 - R or SR flex

Currently I'm using a Cobra Amp Cell set on 10.5* Draw with a NS Pro Regio Formula M Stiff flex. Nice feel to it, rather nice trajectory though I can balloon it at times. Usually hit it with a slight fade, but for some reason it will turn into a slice that can at least get me into trouble, and persist for the better part of a round. Swing speed of 93 mph. Will generally hit it about 230 or so. Long drives can push it out a bit, to quite a bit further. Hit one a bit over 300 yards on a hole that had a long run out.

Bought a Bio Cell+ with a stiff, Matrix Red Tie. Have The White Tie in a firm in my hybrids and am rather pleased, so was thinking the stiff would be okay in my driver. Dead as a board, very low trajectory, and definite slice. I had a Fujikura Fuel 65g shaft from my Amp Cell and that brought up the trajectory but there is still too much fade/slice. I thought about putting in a Regio just like my Amp Cell, but after reading about the Tour AD DI-6, perhaps for just a bit more, it might be an option.

I just hit a demo AD MT-6 in a stiff and that was too stiff. My swing speed of 93 would work for either the R or SR. At 61y.o. My swing speed isn't going to go up. And I'm using 950GH HT irons in regular flex that I hard-stepped once when installing them. Very happy with those. I just installed a SR flex Aldila shaft into a Cobra Baffler 6H and love the trajectory and feel, good for about 165 yards.

So there you go. That should be enough info. R or SR in the Tour AD DI-6?

Or, open the can of worms and give me other suggestions for a high trajectory, good feel, low spin, long hitting shaft.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is no thing as high launch with low spin as far as a shaft is concerned, it's not possible for a shaft to do that.

That is an expensive experiment that will not do what you are looking for.

Ball speed is a product of swing speed and contact. Any shaft can be a long hitting shaft if it compliments the golfer.

Judging by your post, and the use of the word "slice", you have a swing issue or a face contact issue.

2024 Building In-progress

Qi10 Core Head 9* w/ AD-DI 6S  (I heart you AD DI and will never sway from you again)
Qi10 Tour 3W with shaft TBD
Callaway UW 17* with shaft TBD

Titleist TS2 19* Hybrid at 20* w/ PX Evenflow Blue 85 6.0

4-PW Srixon ZX7s w/ DG AMT White S300s
MG2 TW Grind 56/60 at 54/58
Spider Tour X3

[quote name='Golfrnut' timestamp='1418648671' post='10595139']
That is an expensive experiment that will not do what you are looking for.
Judging by your post, and the use of the word "slice", you have a swing issue or a face contact issue.
[/quote]
There's no doubt I have a swing issue. At the same time, the difference in ball flight between the stock Matrix Red Tie and the substituted Fujikura Fuel was extremely noticeable. Additionally, at the range last night I hit an old Cobra L5V with a 50g Diamana R flex shaft. I slowed my swing down a bit and was hitting the ball extremely straight.

I'm tempted to go with the DI-5R. It's a $200 risk, and as you said, an expensive experiment. Unfortunately, getting fit doesn't work the same here in Japan as the US. I have about zero chance of finding any place near me that will allow me to hit shafts side by side. I have to make do with what I can glean from this forum and other websites. It worked out well with the iron shafts, though I now have an extra set of almost new 950GH soft-stepoed shafts.

But I do appreciate you taking the time to reply. If you would, what would be your advice...the DI-5R or the DI-6SR? Guess I could buy an extra adapter and buy both.

A lot of that will probably be dependent on the weight range that suites you, and your results may be different even with a 60 gram shaft vs a 65, or in your case a 5 vs a 6. Without trying and seeing results, that is going to be a crapshoot on the recommendation. The flex you choose is going to come down to feel. I currently play a DI 6s, tipped 3/8", and at a playing length of 44". Swing speed being right around the 97-98 range. Very happy with it, and it produces night and day contact differences compared to most of the other shafts I either have or have tried. Not quite sure why as all my other shafts are in the same range and close to the same bend profile, but that one just fits be well for some reason. But...with that being said, that is just something that works for me. I debated for a time trying the SR, but the S works so well for me, I didn't really see the benefit.

There are cheaper alternatives depending on the marker near you. I don't find a lot of difference in the Kai' Li(weight range is in the middle, and bend profile is not that far off). The tip is a bit softer which may give you a little more feel if that is what suites you.

With that being said, I have found that my swing really didn't like the Red Tie at all. Lots of people like it, but I was all over the place with it, and it never really felt good to me.

Whatever you go with, I would highly advocate a shorter shaft length that most stock offerings come today. I first went to 44.5" and now at 44", and couldn't be happier. Comfort level is way better than it ever was with a longer length. I can still hit it crooked, but it's a flush crooked and the ball flight doesn't look like a banana.

Qi10 Core Head 9* w/ AD-DI 6S  (I heart you AD DI and will never sway from you again)

Spider Tour X3

To give you an idea of what sort of 'analysis' I get, I went to my local dealer, and found a SLDR with a MT-6S in in and compared it with a stock TM shaft in SR flex. Used to be I could easily look at the results of each shop. This time I was sort of pushed to just hit several shots with each. No chsnce to see my trajectory eadily, just the best three with each shaft. I felt as if there was an effort to sanitize and massage the data to a clear choice. So this idwa of tipped 3/8", well, I don't see it hapoening. Their 'fitting' involves using FitWay clubs with various shafts, I suppose just to check basic length/shaft combos. No actual club/shaft you are going to buy unless you buy FitWay. So I do it myself as a hobby. An expensive, far less than perfect, hobby. But one with which I have had some success.

Finding shafts, other than through the internet, is basically hopeless. The place I got on the LM has NO bare shafts. The really big location of the same store has maybe 10 different shafts for drivers. That Regio Formula M is apparently not available in the US, so there is some advantage. At the same time, if I DO want a shaft from the US, that tacks on another $45 or so for shipping and maybe 10% on duties.

So I do appreciate your feedback. I'm down to about 45.25" on my driver shaft, and given that I have some shaft extenders, maybe I'll try shortening one down to 44" or there about. And, yes, I do want more feel. That Red Tie is like a board. The Diamana 50g just FELTas if I was striking the ball, not hitting it with a coke bottle. The Kai' Li, well, I'll check it out. I'll post more once I do something. I'm sufficiently confused as to the best course of action as to need to step back and think for a couple of days.

I get what you are saying, tough situation when you don't have the availability to try shafts. To be honest, I took a leap when I went to the Di myself, as no one around had that shaft to test. Having dumped way more money than I have wanted trying different shafts, I at least have a general idea now of what I like to feel in a shaft and what feels wrong in my hands.

If there are any shafts out there that you like, or remember liking, that may give some information to be able to help to find what you are looking for.

What are you trying to descried with the "coke bottle" feel?

Spider Tour X3

[quote name='Zerpersande' timestamp='1418745974' post='10600827'] Hehehe. Checked the Kai' Li. Slightly more expensive than the AD DI. $210 for the former, $180 for the latter. [/quote]

Bought mine from Callaway Preowned. One of the advantages to being able to do clubwork. Think I paid $70 or so and just swapped tips.

Spider Tour X3

[quote name='Golfrnut' timestamp='1418746325' post='10600841']
What are you trying to descried with the "coke bottle" feel?
[/quote]

Basically a dead feeling. For instance, on this one hole with slightly elevated tee and with a gentle runout after about 220 yards, I hit the Amp Cell/Regio Formula M 260 in total. A very nice looking shot and I knew it when it came off the face. The Bio Cell/Red Tie was a much lower trajectory, had strong fade to it, and yet managed to roll to almost 250. But I was amazed how far it had gone when I got out there. I just didn't feel anything, it was dead, I didn't feel it launch. This happened on a couple of holes where the Regio kept it in the fairway and the Red Tie would get about the same distance, be in the rough with a much worse lie, but still surprise me that it had gone as far gecause I really had no idea.

Like you, I've tried quite a few shafts. My RBZ Rescues have firm White Ties. But they came with KBS shafts, I changed them to a NS Pro Zelos(??), then tried a UST Mamiya in one, and finally the White Tie. And hitting that 50g Diamana the other night, really feeling the launch, nice trajectory, I felt as if I had control. Maybe a good way of saying it is that I knew where the ball was going as I hit it.

So I've got an extra head new that needs a shaft. As part of my on-going experiment I thought I would put something different. I'm leaning toward the DI-5 R1at the moment. Maybe take it down to 44.5" and see how it does.

You have any idea what Diamana version it was?

Spider Tour X3

No, it was a stock Cobra L5V shaft . I tried Goggle but couldn't find anything about it.

I also do my own work, but oddly enough, I just had my first 'downside'. Pulled that Diamana abd was going to see how it worked in the Bio Cell. I FLO my shafts, but didn't want to take off the grip. I'd read that you can use the ball-bearing race set flexing it from the tip. Maybe so, but I won't try THAT again. No more Diamana.

Bought a non-plus Bio Cell on auction last night for $100. Regular Project X -PXv shaft in it. Going to see how that works in the Bio Cell+. Might even hit the Bio Cell in the wrapper a couple of times. I've used my Amp Cell for a year and the 'new' has worn off.

Okay, that's a good start.

These are the times I wish I owned Tom Wishon's profile software as it would make this easier.

The Blue Board is a little closer to the AD DI in terms of bend profile. If I remember the profiles correctly, in comparison to those two shafts, the Diamana Red is softer in the butt section and softer in the tip...which honestly falls in right about where I expected you to want to be. The softer tip section probably gives you more feel and more liveliness than the Matrix Red Tie.

If the 5 series weight is what you like, I would stick with that weight range. Comfort is the important thing, and no sense putting you into a weight that you feel is too heavy for you.

The DI series could work for you, but I would definitely go with no tip trim, and probably the R series.

Since we have something that you like to compare with, I am going to try and see if I can get some help from someone that has the profile software. Perhaps we can get you a few options.

Spider Tour X3

[quote name='Golfrnut' timestamp='1418821344' post='10606041']
- If the 5 series weight is what you like, I would stick with that weight range. Comfort is the important thing......
-The DI series could work for you, but I would definitely go with no tip trim, and probably the R series.
- Since we have something that you like to compare with, I am going to try and see if I can get some help from someone that has the profile software. Perhaps we can get you a few options.
[/quote]
Sounds great. I'll check and see if the Red Board is something I can get here economically. A quick check while looking for info about the shaft indicated the 2015 models will have the M+, available in a 52g model. The link below says that they will retail for about $300, but I have found it available for $165, or slightly less than the DI model.
http://www.golfwrx.com/220627/mitsubishi-unveils-2015-diamana-shaft-lineup/

Yes, from what I have seen, the M+ is supposed to be a new designed Red Board. Since they are new, time will tell what people think of them in comparison to the older line.

The older Red Boards have been discontinued for a while now, but you still may be able to find them somewhere out there.

Spider Tour X3

PL Blue 45 R is a good option to RED/Illima (48 grams)
A few CPM stronger would be Boyaah as S flex (50 gram), the R version is very soft to flex and more like A, but (RED)/Illima is also "soft to flex"
Both this options should be fine for a player at 90-95 with a medium swing

I have Booyah X in one of my own drivers, but im brutal and might peek at 100 mph on a good day

PS! the new RED has a higher TQ rating than most other shafts, and i have not seen any zone specs on it yet so i really dont know what they have changed from earlier versions. I put RED in () for that reason, since i really dont know where that shaft belong, but Illima was "soft to flex"

DO NOT SEND PMs WITH CLUB TECH QUESTIONS - USE THE PUBLIC FORUM.

[quote name='Howard Jones' timestamp='1418832528' post='10606909']
PS! the new RED has a higher TQ rating than most other shafts, and i have not seen any zone specs on it yet so i really dont know what they have changed from earlier versions.
[/quote]

Yeah, I was going to post about those higher torque values. Significantly higher. Also found out that the supplier that has the M+ here in Japan only has the 60. But the torque is still higher in R flex than the DI-5R1.

And that's very true about not knowing how they perform. I'd hate to shell out the cash for the shaft and be the one reporting that they don't suit my style.

Primarily consider torque for feel, at least I do anyway. If you like a shaft that has a little bit of softness to it, it's not necessarily a bad thing. IMO, that is one of the things that actually make the DI feel better to me over some other shafts in the same category. I used to look at high torque in a negative way, but not so much any more. Feel is subjective, and going to differ for everyone though.

Never tied the PL shafts, but don't hear too many negative things on them. Most often, it's that people may feel they feel like noodles, but you'll get that from guys that really load shafts hard. Here the same thing about DI shafts from time to time, but that is about the only thing I hear bad about either of them.

Always liked the feel of the YS series shafts, which are actually being brought back too this year. The older ones are hard to find now though.

Being in Japan, I wonder if it's easier for you to source Graphite Design shafts over there?

Spider Tour X3

[quote name='Golfrnut' timestamp='1418835200' post='10607181']
Primarily consider torque for feel, at least I do anyway. .

Never tied the PL shafts, but don't hear too many negative things on them. Most often, it's that people may feel they feel like noodles, but you'll get that from guys that really load shafts hard. Here the same thing about DI shafts from time to time, but that is about the only thing I hear bad about either of them.

Always liked the feel of the YS series shafts, which are actually being brought back too this year. The older ones are hard to find now though.

Being in Japan, I wonder if it's easier for you to source Graphite Design shafts over there?
[/quote]

1- Looking more closely at the PL shafts, the torque values are higher. And the recommended swing speeds, for what they are worth, are much lower than the DI shafts.

2- YS series shafts are new to me. Which manufacturer?

3- Lots of GD. Seem to perhaps be cheaper here. Would be glad to help anybody that wanted one, but an not sure of the shipping costs.

The AD DI is starting to sound lime the way to go. Going to wait until I try the Project X -PXv that comes in the new Bio Cell. Hope it comes tomorrow so I can play it on Friday.

I would look at GD's G series in Red....there is a site that shows that the G. Series and DI are Very close in bend profile through out the range. 60R might be the ticket.

Also, based on the Titleist Custom chart, the UST VTS series is very close to the DI.....suggest the Red in this one also.

Last, when taking to a person who is a fitter and has this site that really breaks down shafts, he said that the Miyazaki JDL was the closes overall shaft to the DI

If you must go DI and I would not blame you (my fav) I would look at the SR first before the R1

[quote name='Zerpersande' timestamp='1418835984' post='10607253'] [quote name='Golfrnut' timestamp='1418835200' post='10607181'] Primarily consider torque for feel, at least I do anyway. . Never tied the PL shafts, but don't hear too many negative things on them. Most often, it's that people may feel they feel like noodles, but you'll get that from guys that really load shafts hard. Here the same thing about DI shafts from time to time, but that is about the only thing I hear bad about either of them. Always liked the feel of the YS series shafts, which are actually being brought back too this year. The older ones are hard to find now though. Being in Japan, I wonder if it's easier for you to source Graphite Design shafts over there? [/quote] 1- Looking more closely at the PL shafts, the torque values are higher. And the recommended swing speeds, for what they are worth, are much lower than the DI shafts. 2- YS series shafts are new to me. Which manufacturer? 3- Lots of GD. Seem to perhaps be cheaper here. Would be glad to help anybody that wanted one, but an not sure of the shipping costs. The AD DI is starting to sound lime the way to go. Going to wait until I try the Project X -PXv that comes in the new Bio Cell. Hope it comes tomorrow so I can play it on Friday. [/quote]

The YS series were made by Graphite Design also.

Don't play too much into recommended speeds. That's why it is always better to go off of what you like, and then try to find something that is close to the profile. Shafts in the same swing speed category, can vary greatly in feel depending on the materials, how the bend profile is built, and how hoard/soft you load into the shaft. Many people do not fall well into those categories going off speed only when trying to find the correct shaft.

Spider Tour X3

To all teh experts out there... How does the Kusala White stack up to these options? I've bounced around with a few of the shafts mentioned. The ADDI, Red Tie, and White Tie. I found the Kusala White to have the best results for my slow swing speed. But I know that everyone is different...

Callaway Rogue ST Max - Tensei AV White - 8*
Taylormade M3 HL - MFS5 White Tie 60S -0.75" (42.5")

Mizuno JPX 923 HMP - 4-G - Recoil 95 S - 2* upright

Callaway X-JAWS - 52/58*

Odyssey OWorks 2ball  -  34" - 1* loft - 71* lie
Slighter Proto 1 #9/Del Mar design - High Toe - Long neck - Deep Milled face - 33", 370gr, lie 71*, loft 4*

WITB Link

[quote name='Howard Jones' timestamp='1418832528' post='10606909']
PL Blue 45 R is a good option to RED/Illima (48 grams)
[/quote]
Hmmm, I found the PL Blue 65 R for $20. Says high launch. Think I will get one as a shaft to put into whatever head I decide to sell, most likely my old Amp Cell. But it seems to perhaps to be an older shaft. There is an identically named shaft for about twice as much. And they have both the 45/55g models. Confusing as hell trying to read this stuff with my minimal Japanese reading skills.

[quote name='TMBob' timestamp='1418837058' post='10607305']
Also, based on the Titleist Custom chart, the UST VTS series is very close to the DI.....suggest the Red in this one also.
[/quote]
Found the VTS. The 55g will run me about $180, about the same price as the DI, whereas the 65g I can get for half of that. No idea. Crazy Japanese marketing idea.

But looking at the torque, at 5.0 will that give me the desired 'feel' even with a 60/65g shaft? At half the price.......

[quote name='blink3665' timestamp='1418839998' post='10607549']
How does the Kusala White stack up to these?
I found the Kusala White to have the best results for my slow swing speed.
[/quote]
What's your swing speed and what weight/flex are you using. The Kusala is one of the shafts Zi can get. Same price range as the AD DI.

This is like pulling a loose string on a sweater. A real mix of availability, good prices, crazy prices, similar specs, etc. And no way to test them other than buy them and see. There's a VTS Silver 55R for about $85 that I think I will try. Also a PL Blue 65R for about $15. At least the VTS will give me a rough feel for a softer flex, light weight, high torque shaft, albeit a bit lower launch. Given the 35-40mh winds the day before yesterday, that can be a plus.

Comments?

When I keep it between the navigational beacons, SS is 93 avg. I may have picked up a few MPH from my lessons this winter since my fitting. I have a "deliberate" (read:slow) tempo with a smooth transition.

I have a Tour Issue (because... well... duh... why wouldn't you have TI?) Kusala White 61 stiff. Code is 4631.

Callaway X-JAWS - 52/58*

Slighter Proto 1 #9/Del Mar design - High Toe - Long neck - Deep Milled face - 33", 370gr, lie 71*, loft 4*

WITB Link

[quote name='blink3665' timestamp='1419029756' post='10618515']
SS is 93 avg
"deliberate" tempo with a smooth transition
Kusala White 61 stiff
[/quote]

Similar to my style except 93 is pretty much my top unless I really have a wide fairway. I've found a 61R for about $175-ish. I just want a shaft where I can slow my swing down just a tad and truly feel the shaft load/release. The NS Pro Regio stiff I have now gives me some feel when I hit it full on, but with slower swing speeds I just don't feel the load/release very much.

I'm sure that most WRXers would consider the Kusala White a wet noodle. Especially in R. However, I really like it. It's perfect for my swing.

Callaway X-JAWS - 52/58*

WITB Link