Sleeve of different balls in the bag.... just in case?

Mr. 3-Wiggle

I currently play the Callaway Super Soft and before that it was the B330 RX. More so with the B330 RX than the Callaway there were a few rounds when the greens were so dry that anything over a 6 or 7 iron would take huge bounces over the green. In my case, it would probably be the Chrome Soft's. I'm just worried that the different feel especially on chips and putts might make this more detrimental than it is helpful. My question is does anyone carry an extra sleeve of different golf balls for this situation or do something similar?

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Mr. 3-Wiggle' timestamp='1423762484' post='10939207']
I currently play the Callaway Super Soft and before that it was the B330 RX. More so with the B330 RX than the Callaway there were a few rounds when the greens were so dry that anything over a 6 or 7 iron would take huge bounces over the green. In my case, it would probably be the Chrome Soft's. I'm just worried that the different feel especially on chips and putts might make this more detrimental than it is helpful. My question is does anyone carry an extra sleeve of different golf balls for this situation or do something similar?
[/quote]

I normally carry 3+ different types of dozens when I go out and play. Yes. This is definitely overkill and really sucks when I decide to walk. I really should just throw a couple of sleeves in the bag to form a dozen and then some extra shag balls for when everything goes sideways.

TM '16 M2 9.5*/stock S
TM '16 M2 3w 15*/stock S
TM '16 M2 3h 19*/stock S
TM RSi TP 4-PW/KBS Tour S
TM Milled Grind 52*/56*/60*
TM Ghost Tour Black Daytona SuperStroke

[quote name='Mr. 3-Wiggle' timestamp='1423762484' post='10939207']
[/quote]I carry a few of the softest balls, now the 2015 Wilson Duo (28 com), few Wilson FG Tour (70) and a few Maxfli U4 (85). Depends on conditions, temp. and how I feel.

I wouldn't expect a huge difference in stopping power between a B330RX and another premium ball

Ping i20 9.5* Project X Black 6.0
Taylormade R15 15* Fujikura FUEL 70 S
Adams Pro Dhy 18* Aldila Tour Blue 80S
John Letters Tour Black Master Model 4-PW S300
John Letters Tour Black 52*,56*,60* DG Spinner
Odyssey Metal X Milled #1, 34.5"

I typically commit to one ball after some early season experimentation of the new offerings. However, last year it was the Maxfli U/3 which can only be purchased at Dicks or Golf Galaxy. If I am low on golf balls and do nto want to detour 20 miles to Dicks I will purchase balls either at the pro shop or a Walmart if one is away. I will typically buy the e6 but do try balls like the PD Soft and Supersoft. So it is not unusual to have a couple of different sleeves of balls in my bag, and after I often stick with the trial balls for a while if I like them - a good example is the Supersoft which I payed under $20 at Walmart and enjoyed them so much I purchased another dozen.

During the warmer months I have been playing just the Hex Chrome, but during this time of the year I will carry some Duo's, Supersofts, along with the Chrome's. Playing opportunities are so infrequent due to the weather that I never know what swing and game I'll show up with. The few times I have been out this year it's mainly been Duo's and I have been saving my supply of Hex Chrome's for warmer weather and a more consistent swing. Won't have to worry about that decision this weekend. Thirty below wind chills and 6 to 10 inches of new snow.

Why would anyone want to change back and forth between balls? Do you change your irons depending on the weather or how you're swinging? I play the same ball 12 months of the year and carry a couple of sleeves in the bag.

Nike Vr Pro LE 8.5 degree
TEE CB Pro LE 13 degree
TEE XCGV 16.5 degree
Adams A4 Forged DG X100
Vokey Custom 54 & 58
Cameron CLN 1997 Custom Shop

I carry soft pink balls to play for the under 45 degree temperature days when I know the course conditions are firm and it is windy and cold. Usually I will be one of the few people on the course and it is funny to smash a soft pink ball off the tee. More often than not I will be out there with senior players and they think it is funny to see a pink ball take off! It needs to be warmer ASAP

If anything can go right, it might!

I should stick with one ball during a round.. but too often, I'll find a ball on the course and decide to try it out. Of course, I'm dialed in with the putter for the first 6 or 7 holes. After I start using the found ball, I have to find my touch with the putter - easily contributing to unnecessary 2 & 3 putts. If I lose the "found" ball, then it takes another couple of holes to find my touch...

I have a lot of golf balls from my old shag bag to lose.. when they're all gone, I've convinced myself to use only maxfli u/4's...

[quote name='Hidalgo' timestamp='1423873712' post='10948953']
Why would anyone want to change back and forth between balls? Do you change your irons depending on the weather or how you're swinging? I play the same ball 12 months of the year and carry a couple of sleeves in the bag.
[/quote]

For me it is a matter of availability or just sampling the new balls available that sound like they would perform for an 18HCP. Late last season I tried the Gamer Soft and Supersoft and they were great for my game. Trying a different ball is inexpensive and for me an interesting experiment that sometimes causes me to switch balls. I won't waste my time trying the new ProV or any other serious spin tour ball because they are a negative for my game (sorry Titleist but they are not for everyone). On the flip side I do not switch balls because of weather or green conditions because my game is not that fine tuned, but the current condition of my swing might cause me to play a different ball. For example, I learned last year that I am straighter off the tee with the Supersoft than the U/3, but the U/3 does grip the green better. If I am slightly slicing or hooking the ball off the tee, I plan to use the Supersoft or Gamer Soft to keep me in the fairway. If I am tending toward a slight fade or draw a mid-spin urethene ball like the U/3 will help me around the green.

If I swung like Iron Byron I would never have to consider playing a different ball. But some of us have A, B, C, D, and F swings. I shot my best score last season when I was playing twice a week and using the U/3. During the fall I could barely manage playing once every other week and my drive was off so I tried a couple of softer ball with somewhat less spin and was thrilled to be back on the short grass. They were both good on approach shots and around the green but not like the urethene ball. So I will probably choose a ball in the Spring for my A and B swings, but when the swing is not right (this happens to an 18 HCP) I will switch to the straighter balls off the tee.

If I ever get to play 2-3 times/week my view may change, but I do enjoy following the "advances" in ball technology which is probably why I am on this forum.

[quote name='NJpatbee' timestamp='1423934623' post='10952397']

For me it is a matter of availability or just sampling the new balls available that sound like they would perform for an 18HCP. Late last season I tried the Gamer Soft and Supersoft and they were great for my game. Trying a different ball is inexpensive and for me an interesting experiment that sometimes causes me to switch balls.
[/quote]

I wasn't referring to testing different balls. That's appropriate and is how we learn about equipment. What I don't see the advantage in is changing balls according to conditions. No matter what the conditions are I have never seen any advantage in that reasoning.

Nike Vr Pro LE 8.5 degree
TEE CB Pro LE 13 degree
TEE XCGV 16.5 degree
Adams A4 Forged DG X100
Vokey Custom 54 & 58
Cameron CLN 1997 Custom Shop

I typicly have a full box of my gamers in the bag at all times(I loose waaaay to many). I also have a few sleeves of balls I'd like to try. I also keep a sleeve of 330RX's and Z Stars both in yellow in my bag at all times. For when the greens just won't accept suralyn. I've also got a pocket full of assorted found balls. I have a cart bag and use a Cleckgear cart. So the added weight doesn't matter at all.

Mark Shuman