Single Friendly Courses - Chicago Area

Comments

• BuddhaBuddha Members Posts: 757
    I end up golfing by myself a bunch, so I need to go through this list and find a few more to try. Also willing to find others in the NW burbs of Chicago that are looking for someone to golf with, though most of my rounds are through the week.
    WITB....For now at least. Who am I kidding, I'm too cheap to be a true ho.

2017 WITB

Driver Callaway X-Hot Pro Matrix White Tie 6x4 Stiff 10.5°
    3W Callaway X-Hot Project X Velocity Stiff 15°
    3Hy Callaway X2 Hot Matrix Kujoh R 19°
    4Hy Callaway X2 Hot Matrix Kujoh R 22°
    5-PW Callaway XR DG S300
    Callaway MD3 Black Matte S Grind - 48°
    Callaway MD3 Black Matte W Grind - 54°
    Callaway MD3 Black Matte C Grind - 60°
    Odyssey Toe Up #1 - 35"

All wedges at 36"

GameGolf
  • Argonne69Argonne69 Members Posts: 21,921 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Buddha wrote:

I end up golfing by myself a bunch, so I need to go through this list and find a few more to try. Also willing to find others in the NW burbs of Chicago that are looking for someone to golf with, though most of my rounds are through the week.

There are a number of players that play mid-week rounds in the NW burbs. Check the 'Where are you playing tomorrow - Chicago (Round2)' thread (http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1172783-where-are-you-playing-tomorrow-chicago-round2/).
    I am going to follow that a bit more closely. While it is closed for renovations, you can add Arlington Lakes Gc ss a five star course. I have gone, and booked online, many a single round there.

2017 WITB

5-PW Callaway XR DG S300
    Odyssey Toe Up #1 - 35"

All wedges at 36"

GameGolf
  • preiter20preiter20 Members Posts: 232 ✭✭✭
    I am in no way affiliated with this app but I use Golf Match to find someone to play with locally. Golfmatchapp.com
  • Northside MattNorthside Matt Members Posts: 82
    Might have to downgrade White Pines. Their online system wouldn't allow me to purchase a single tee time, even though I could select a single booking slot. So I called the pro shop. No singles are allowed to book tee times until the morning of.

Might have to downgrade White Pines. Their online system wouldn't allow me to purchase a single tee time, even though I could select a single booking slot. So I called the pro shop. No singles are allowed to book tee times until the morning of.

Hmmm, are you sure? There's an opening on Sunday, 8/9, for 1 to 2 golfers at 10:09 am. If I click on 'Book Now', I can select the number of golfers as 1 or 2. Did you get this far, and it failed to confirm the booking after providing the contact info?
  • Northside MattNorthside Matt Members Posts: 82
    Argonne69 wrote:

Hmmm, are you sure? There's an opening on Sunday, 8/9, for 1 to 2 golfers at 10:09 am. If I click on 'Book Now', I can select the number of golfers as 1 or 2. Did you get this far, and it failed to confirm the booking after providing the contact info?

Exactly. I entered my contact info for the 1pm tee time on 8/8. When I clicked submit, I received a message saying the tee time was no longer available. So I clicked on the 1:09pm tee time. Same thing. I closed my browser and re-opened it. When I went back to the WP tee time page, both the 1pm and the 1:09pm were available. Maybe it's a browser problem?

Because of all this, I called the pro shop to book over the phone. They told me no can do. Singles have to call or show up the morning of.

Argonne69 wrote:

Exactly. I entered my contact info for the 1pm tee time on 8/8. When I clicked submit, I received a message saying the tee time was no longer available. So I clicked on the 1:09pm tee time. Same thing. I closed my browser and re-opened it. When I went back to the WP tee time page, both the 1pm and the 1:09pm were available. Maybe it's a browser problem?

Because of all this, I called the pro shop to book over the phone. They told me no can do. Singles have to call or show up the morning of.

OK, thanks for the clarification. They've been moved down to the 1 star category.

'Really don't know why courses do that. 70% of Chicago courses now allow singles to book online. The ones that don't are throwing money out the window.
    I played at Dubs as a single yesterday, and while their general policy is to not take tee times for singles, they're a bit more flexible on #4 (Dubs). I was able to book a weekday round two days in advance. I talked directly with the 2/4 Pro Shop. The reservation line wouldn't give me a tee time. This would put them in the 3 star category, at least for #4.

After the round I spoke with the Pro Shop, and they said they're slowing reconsidering their policy, and will now allow a single to book Dubs within 48 hours of the tee time. I mentioned that the majority of Chicago now allow a single to book, and that they're missing out on a lot of business.

In a nutshell, I have a hunch it depends on the day of the week, the number of spots open, and the person you're talking with.
    Updated with Prairie Isle and Willow Glen.
    edited Oct 15, 2015 #42
    I moved Jackson Park from the 5 star to 4 star category. The Chicago Park District has switched to the GolfNow booking engine, and singles are no longer allowed to book in any slot, but may book with an existing twosome or threesome (I was told).

The website did not allow me to book as a 3rd, so I'm a bit leery. I called their reservation line, and got the tee time that the website wouldn't allow me to book. If you experience the same, let me know, and I'll bump them down another notch.

I mean, it's Jackson Park for goodness sake. They've been allowing singles to book for ages. 'Not sure why the change in policy at this time.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    With the arrival of colder temperatures, the tee sheets are wide open at most courses. You'd think that some of these dinosaur courses that don't allow singles to book would at least reconsider the practice in the early spring and late fall. I'm looking at Bittersweet's sheet for tomorrow morning, and it's basically wide open from all morning.

I just don't get it. Idiots.
    I was just looking on GN, and it appears that Bridges of Poplar Creek may have changed??? I am looking, and the booking options are 2-4 and 1-2 for what appears to be already booked twosomes.

2017 WITB

5-PW Callaway XR DG S300
    Odyssey Toe Up #1 - 35"

All wedges at 36"

GameGolf
    Updated - Bridges of Poplar Creek
    I think it is crazy that some courses keep their 2+ restrictions for tee times during off peak times.

2017 WITB

5-PW Callaway XR DG S300
    Odyssey Toe Up #1 - 35"

All wedges at 36"

GameGolf
    Buddha wrote:

I think it is crazy that some courses keep their 2+ restrictions for tee times during off peak times.

No kidding. At this time of the year the tee sheets are wide open, so forcing a twosome is nuts. I have a hunch it's the default setting on the GolfNow booking engine. It seems a number have courses have switched to it, and may be oblivious to the fact that it can be changed. How else would one explain courses that previously allowed singles to book any slot recently switching to the "filler" category 4 rules?
    'Just tried booking at Jackson Park tomorrow as a 3rd, and the new booking engine (GolfNow) won't allow it. Checking the FAQ, it appears that singles must call the Pro Shop, even the the stupid booking engine allows one to go through the whole booking process before throwing an (incorrect) error stating that the time slot is no longer available. This is really annoying. Seems the entire Chicago Park District system has lost it's collective minds.

Updated the list to drop JP to the 3-star category.
    It's a new season, so if you see any changes, let me know and I'll update the initial post.
    I think you might be able to update Glendale Lakes to 4 stars. Last week I was able to book as a single during a hot deal, which looking at tomorrows sheet appears to be the same. There is also one time slot that is available for 1-3, so it looks like (I'm just assuming here) a single must have called to book, and is freed up for any use online.

2017 WITB

5-PW Callaway XR DG S300
    Odyssey Toe Up #1 - 35"

All wedges at 36"

GameGolf
    Buddha wrote:

I think you might be able to update Glendale Lakes to 4 stars. Last week I was able to book as a single during a hot deal, which looking at tomorrows sheet appears to be the same. There is also one time slot that is available for 1-3, so it looks like (I'm just assuming here) a single must have called to book, and is freed up for any use online.

I'd call it more like 3.25 stars. It appears that singles can book online for an extremely small number of slots listed as "Sale". For example, there are 3 openings for singles to book out of 17 tee times next Friday from 8:06 am to 11:59 am. I wouldn't call that single friendly.
    Argonne69 wrote:

I'd call it more like 3.25 stars. It appears that singles can book online for an extremely small number of slots listed as "Sale". For example, there are 3 openings for singles to book out of 17 tee times next Friday from 8:06 am to 11:59 am. I wouldn't call that single friendly.

I was also basing it off of the description of allowing singles to book as 3rd/4th. The image I show is from today, 4/10, that shows a slot that shows 1-3. I assume there was a single booked through the course, which then frees up the slot to anything else on the golfnow site.

2017 WITB

5-PW Callaway XR DG S300
    Odyssey Toe Up #1 - 35"

All wedges at 36"

GameGolf
    But upon further looking, that is part of the hot deal time. I didn't notice that right away, as it is listed for the regular price. Interesting as to how that will play out, if you can book as a single through the course, anytime. I rarely do that, as I am usually a hot deal searcher when I am going as a single.

2017 WITB

5-PW Callaway XR DG S300
    Odyssey Toe Up #1 - 35"

All wedges at 36"

GameGolf
    edited Apr 20, 2016 #54
    Updated Lost Marsh from 5 to 3 stars. After changing their policy last year to a 5 star rating, they've gone back this season to not allowing singles to book 18 holes online, except for a very limited number of Hot Deals in the early afternoon. 'Nuts.

Added Mount Prospect and Highland Woods in the 4 star category.

'Looks like Coyote Run is now allowing singles to book with a twosome or threesome, so I've moved it to the 4 star category.

Ravisloe also appears to have changed its policy this year, moving it from 5 stars to 2 stars.

Added Wicker Memorial Park (Highland, IN) in the 5 star category.

Gleneagles moved to 5 star category.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    It appears that Balmoral Woods has changed its policy, and has been moved up to the 5 star category.
    Updated to include Pinecrest.
    Update: Added Fox Lake CC to the 5 star category
    Added Tuckaway and Deer Creek in the far southern suburbs.
    Bump for the new season. If you have any changes, please let me know and I'll update the ratings in the first post.
  • ldchristopherldchristopher Members Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Mar 4, 2017 #60
    Great list and excellent topic. I play a lot of weekday golf after work. For the courses that don't allow singles to book in advance, I just call, ask about how busy they are, and, if they aren't crowded (between 3:00-4:00 on a weekday is rarely busy), I show up, pay, and play. Highlands of Elgin, Stonewall, Thunderhawk, Oak Grove, Glencoe, Shephard's Crook, Pine Meadows, and Chevy Chase were all okay with me doing this. I'm assuming if it's busier they'd insist on pairing me up with someone but they haven't forced me to do so yet.
    Driver: Titleist 917 D2 10.5° w/ Aldila Rogue Max 65 stiff
    3 Wood: Titleist 917 F2 15° w/ Aldila Rogue Black 80 stiff
    5 Wood: Titleist 917 F2 18˚ w/ Aldila Rogue Black 80 stiff
    Hybrid: Titleist 816H 21˚ w/ Aldila Rogue Max 85 stiff
    Irons: Mizuno JPX 919 Forged (4-5 iron) and Tour (6-PW) w/ KBS C-Taper Lite 110 stiff
    Wedges: Titleist Vokey Cold Forged 52°/8° 58°/10°
    Putter: Lajosi Sensor 303SS w/ oil can finish 

Great list and excellent topic. I play a lot of weekday golf after work. For the courses that don't allow singles to book in advance, I just call, ask about how busy they are, and, if they aren't crowded (between 3:00-4:00 on a weekday is rarely busy), I show up, pay, and play. Highlands of Elgin, Stonewall, Thunderhawk, Oak Grove, Glencoe, Shephard's Crook, Pine Meadows, and Chevy Chase were all okay with me doing this. I'm assuming if it's busier they'd insist on pairing me up with someone but they haven't forced me to do so yet.

Yeah, I imagine that during the week it's not as much of an issue. However, on weekend mornings it's a crapshoot. Over 85% of the courses in the area allow singles to book online in some form, so I've never quite figured out the reasoning of the holdouts.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file