Course recommendations - Schaumberg, IL

ramylson ·  
ramylsonramylson Members  852WRX Points: 60Posts: 852 Bunkers
I'll be down in the area Tuesday night and would love to get a round in. Any recommendations?

Greatly appreciated.
Posted:

Comments

• zer0zer0 Members  1572WRX Points: 215Posts: 1,572 Platinum Tees
    Schaumburg
    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
    If you got time to drive 25-30 minutes go to the golf hotbed of Elgin and play either Highlands, Bowes Creek or Prairie Landing.

If you don't have time, you won't find anything close to Schaumburg that is any better than Schaumburg.
    Posted:
  • Seamus_McDuffSeamus_McDuff Members  981WRX Points: 166Handicap: 4.3Posts: 981 Golden Tee
    Hilldale
    Posted:
  • ramylsonramylson Members  852WRX Points: 60Posts: 852 Bunkers
    Sorry for the spelling. Phone, while on vacation. Just missed it following the proof read

Thanks for the options, I'll look into them. Zer0, you have any preferences?
    Posted:
    ramylson wrote:

Sorry for the spelling. Phone, while on vacation. Just missed it following the proof read

Thanks for the options, I'll look into them. Zer0, you have any preferences?

Highlands of Elgin

<very small gap>

Bowes Creek

<larger more noticeable gap>

Prairie Landing

<very large gap>

Schaumberg
    Posted:
  • ChancemanChanceman Members  857WRX Points: 240Handicap: 14Posts: 857 Golden Tee

Golf Architecture mag has an article today about a big rehab of Schaumberg. Looks awesome.

Any thoughts on what this will do for the course's standing relative to Elgin and Bowes?

Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • VNutzVNutz Members  6651WRX Points: 608Posts: 6,651 Titanium Tees

IMO it cannot bring them to the level of HOE and Bowes, but it will be nice. To me the pieces of land they are on and the designs are so much better than Schaumburg. Schaumburg is still a nice course and usually in great shape and with fast greens, but HOE and Bowes are just more unique on larger tracts of land vs the more landlocked feel of Schaumburg. Schaumburg is surrounded by suburban subdivision where HOE and Bowes are more on their own, although Bowes is building more and more housing around the course. To me HOE and Bowes allow for more forgiveness off the tee as well, as Schaumburg is fairly tree lined.

Posted:
  • wrbush31wrbush31 Members  1364WRX Points: 179Posts: 1,364 Platinum Tees

That Lohmann "restoration" though! I hope it finishes strong. Get that golden age feel back.

Posted:
    WITB 2/3/16:
    Driver - Golf club
    3 & 5 Wood - Clubs
    Irons - More Golf clubs
    Wedges - Knives
    Putter - wrench

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.