2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

The verdict is out on the new Aldila DVS and XVS6 shaft

madi05

also the V2 and the EPIC shafts
Well many have known i am testing some Aldila shafts out for the VP of engineer at Aldila company, no big deal, they are not paying me at all, just some free shafts basically

here is what i was sent to test , there lighter weight shafts all in the 70 to 60 gram weight class, basically he wanted a any old joe golfers feedback

im basically telling him this so far after todays round with the DVS 60-s cinnamon shaft, to me this one gives more of a feedback pop at impact, it feels extremely ready to make contact with something (a ball) and help u get more pop with less effort , it feels really good and lively but not whippy to me , even though my second day with it was not a good swing day , i really put some drives out there with it with a bad swing or over swing so to speak, just one of those days when i didnt have much control with my swing but i felt like a big guy when i hit this shaft for some reason, the burner tp head to me is very light and hard to feel but with this shaft it feels great , a very boring trajectory mid to high launch but no ballooning, the ball just kept going out there for me , then i tried to slow the swing down and boom still long and straight

now i find myself at a point where i dont want to change this shaft out to try the proto 65 shaft out, lol so what did i do , i bought a sumo with the vs proto shaft in it , when it arrives i will let u know what i think of that one but for now i will continue to enjoy the DVS cinnamon shaft out , lol

ok on the xvs6 tour only shaft , very nice and a close second to the DVS shaft but it just doesnt have the feeling the DVS has , it has great distance but i think same swing on both the DVS will beat it by 10 yards everytime , not much but enough to make me want to keep the DVS in play , trajectory may be alittle lower but not really alot if any , u dont get the pop feeling at impact like on the DVS but it is doing its job because the result is straight and great distance ,(however i feel in my mind that if i cant feel it then it is dead or boardy so that is where the DVS wins me over) workability is about the same with both

now the epic at first impression was nice and straight and great distance but now with these other two aldila shafts in the mix , i feel the epic is way over priced , should be about a 100 bucks cheaper , now keep in mind this is just my swing we are judging and right now it is off a bit and im no scratch golfer , right now if i had to give my hdcp, it would be about a 14 which is what i shot today , lmao (86) but hey i dont practice every anymore and the weather is not that great here right now, usually im about a 8 to 10 so basically im your average old joe golfer but im a big shaft hoe , lol

V2 still to me is the best bang for the buck, it can compete with any of the above imo , and if someone said u have to buy your own shaft i wouldnt hesitate to put me a V2 in my club and be happy with it knowing it is as good as any for under a 100 bucks, but lets say my budget was 200 or 300 bucks i would probably still buy the V2 , lol but if i got to test the DVS out and the guy said for 50 bucks more u can have the DVS i would say "I DO" just because it feels so good and better than the V2 , even though they perform about the same in every category , FEEL good is where its at for me

i hope this is helping u guys and feel free to ask me questions , i will answer them the best i can

madi05

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really want to try both of these now. I still need to hit that EPIC lol. I will be interested in hearing how the VS Proto compares to the DVS. I somewhat like the VS Proto. If the DVS and XVS feel better then I will try one of those out. Nice reviews.

Ping G430 Max 10K 9° shaft???

Callaway Paradym AI Smoke TD 3w Ventus Red 7

Callaway Paradym AI Smoke TD 7w Ventus Red 7 

Srixon UX 4 23° Ventus Blue 8

Ping i230 5-U Dynamic Gold 105

Titleist Vokey SM9 54.10 (55°) and 60.08 Nippon Modus 105

Scotty Cameron 2024 Phantom 5.5

Thanks for the reviews Madi. I had read a while back you were trying these out. You're the first I've seen to actually report on playing the DVS. Glad to hear you like it. Sounds right up my alley. Any other shafts out there you'd compare it to besides the V2?

i have tried the epic and the V2 and the fujikura tour platform 27.3 , i felt the fujikura was long in distance but u could overswing it and it get away from u but it felt alot like like this DVS , u know that extra kick through impact, but it does that and holds up which the fujikura failed at imo , but i read if u tipped the fuji about a inch it held up much better , but to me and my swing speed which is roughly 105 i shouldnt really have to tip much

i can say i hit a drive today 301 w/no wind involved (just a par tied with my brother arggghhh) and it was a high very slight draw and went forever, lol i didnt feel like i swung hard really , but like i said my swing was all over the place today, u know one of those days when u feel u may be overswinging but cant stop it, lol (i have hit some in this range with the V2 as well but it was the rolly use the hill types of distance, lol) i dont think i ever caught the epic that long , and the xvs i believe can do that distance but i think not as easily if u know what i mean (i probably should have given the xvs more play time but for me first impressions usually tell the tell) , but it could be im not man enough to flex the xvs6 to get that kind of yardage,lol

the stock shaft was too whippy for me , i am the type at impact i whip through the ball(release hard at impact) and if the shaft isnt right the hook comes out or the big leave out right comes into play

which im not saying u cant do this with the DVS , i am saying i shouldnt have been in play many times today and ended up ok , maybe not perfect but long and ok is ok with me if u know what i mean, lol

another story to tell, there is a par 5 w/ dogleg left and u have to pop it good to clear the bunkers that are in the dog leg, most people that swing under a 100 like my brother usually hits it to the right of the bunkers and hits a layup shot and flips a wedge and hopefully make birdie(btw lately he has been kicking my butt, lol) (but i still call him old man, lol) well both times i played with this DVS shaft head combo i cleared the traps with no extra effort , the V2 ,epic and xvs and fuji, can do this but all of those i have hit in the traps more than cleared them ,which leaves u a hard fairway bunker shot, these bunkers are hilly and deep and most of the time u are doing good to advance the ball a 100 yards straight up in the air, lol so it is crucial to either clear them leaving u a 240 shot to the green with eagle potential or go right of the bunkers , leaving u my brother's scenario (however i think all these shafts can do this for me , the DVS is less effort so far)

i have hit the NVS , the grafalloy blue and the NT as well but they dont compare to the ones lately i have hit above imo

hope this helps

madi05

Great stuff madi - keep it coming!

I've always been a big fan of Aldila shafts. I think that they don't always get the recognition that they deserve as they don't pander to the 'uber-high-end' crowd who instantly dismiss a shaft if it doesn't cost more than 300 bucks. The NV and VS has always been top notch and the orignal Cinnamon was a classic. It's also good to know that the 60 DVS didn't feel too whippy as I think that this has been one of the bugbears for Aldila in that their lighter shafts have had a tendency to be a little whippy, even at stronger flexes.

I'll be doing a Bag Chatter review on the Epic's fairly soon - the standard driver shaft, the tour driver shaft and the fairway shaft will get a though testing. If I could pick up an Epic fairway it would be pretty comprehensive. From your comment you appear to feel that the Epic is a very good shaft and equal in performance but that as it costs more than the Aldilas it can't really beat them, is that right?

well both times i played with this DVS shaft head combo i cleared the traps with no extra effort , the xvs, can do this but all of those i have hit in the traps more than cleared them. the DVS is less effort so far

madi05

... hey madi, your hitting a softer tipped S-flex DVS compared to a fimer tipped X-flex XVS. so it stands to reason you would hit the DVS farther with less effort. you'd need to compare a SVS to the DVS for an apples to apples result. i think you would find the SVS kicks a little more. it does however, feel like the whole shaft kicks a little as compared to the livelier kick from a softer tipped shaft like the DVS. the Aldila tour rep tells me the DVS is the smoothest feeling shaft he has ever hit, so i'm looking forward to tryin one in a driver and especially a fairway wood!!!

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... AutoFlex Dream 7 SF405
Fairway:    TM Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:    Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black 70r
                  TM Dhy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r

Irons:         Titleist T200 '23 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:    Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:           2024 TP5x/2023 Maxfli Tour

Great stuff madi - keep it coming!

I've always been a big fan of Aldila shafts. I think that they don't always get the recognition that they deserve as they don't pander to the 'uber-high-end' crowd who instantly dismiss a shaft if it doesn't cost more than 300 bucks. The NV and VS has always been top notch and the orignal Cinnamon was a classic. It's also good to know that the 60 DVS didn't feel too whippy as I think that this has been one of the bugbears for Aldila in that their lighter shafts have had a tendency to be a little whippy, even at stronger flexes.

I'll be doing a Bag Chatter review on the Epic's fairly soon - the standard driver shaft, the tour driver shaft and the fairway shaft will get a though testing. If I could pick up an Epic fairway it would be pretty comprehensive. From your comment you appear to feel that the Epic is a very good shaft and equal in performance but that as it costs more than the Aldilas it can't really beat them, is that right?

HI, the epic to me felt like it gave more to the whippy, if that is what u are asking, i felt the DVS held its spine at impact a little better than the epic, but the funny thing is the DVS stayed there but it felt like it slapped the ball better, i dont know if my terminology is correct but that is what it felt like comparing the two for me , now on price, i would pay for the DVS price and never feel like i paid too much, and the epic price for me made me feel like it wasnt any different and should be priced no more than a 100 bucks , only because i couldnt get that extra pop i was looking for if u get my meaning, lol

hope this helps

madi05

I am anxious to try both the DVS and SVS 70s in a driver.

What do the hoops in the SVS provide? More butt stiff less ovaling? I beilieve it is more expensive than the DVS. More compare and contrast of these two shafts should be interesting.

Stealth 2 10.5˚ Ventus TR Red 6-S
Stealth 15˚ Ventus TR Blue 7-S
Stealth 19˚Hy Ventus Blue 8-S
SIM DHY 4 Modus GOST 95
P770 5-PW MMT 105
MG Hi-Toe 3 50˚, 54˚, 58˚ MMT 125
Evnroll ER2v Mid Slant
TP5 Pix
Bushnell Pro X3

well both times i played with this DVS shaft head combo i cleared the traps with no extra effort , the xvs, can do this but all of those i have hit in the traps more than cleared them. the DVS is less effort so far

madi05

... hey madi, your hitting a softer tipped S-flex DVS compared to a fimer tipped X-flex XVS. so it stands to reason you would hit the DVS farther with less effort. you'd need to compare a SVS to the DVS for an apples to apples result. i think you would find the SVS kicks a little more. it does however, feel like the whole shaft kicks a little as compared to the livelier kick from a softer tipped shaft like the DVS. the Aldila tour rep tells me the DVS is the smoothest feeling shaft he has ever hit, so i'm looking forward to tryin one in a driver and especially a fairway wood!!!

Hi Chisag, yeah i believe that is right, i just probably dont say it right, lol

basically the DVS is like u said softer but i guess what im saying is , its not too soft and like the xvs i couldnt overswing it and get that hook shot to come out , i believe i handled the xvs6 ok and my friend at adila put it in my hands to compare and felt it would be down my alley according to my ss and etc. and he also picked the DVS out for me , so i do believe he thinks they are comparable but i could be wrong , i just think like u said the tour rep told u , the DVS is just a smoother feeling shaft , it just feels good to me and not to mention it carries that bunker i talked about which is a plus for me , lol

and please do not take my comparisons as im saying the others are crap , cause they are not , they are all nice shafts and i would probably be happy with either one,(if i had to pay 200 bucks ) i guess all im saying is how they compare for me , and i am lucky to get to try them all out from aldila so im trying to pass on to u guys how they feel for me an average old joe golfer, and maybe it will help some make a one time choice and it help them save time and money and be happy the first time, but if u are a shaft hoe like i am becoming (and u seem to be lol) then it probably won"t help us, lol

madi05

I am anxious to try both the DVS and SVS 70s in a driver.

What do the hoops in the SVS provide? More butt stiff less ovaling? I beilieve it is more expensive than the DVS. More compare and contrast of these two shafts should be interesting.

im not real sure , i think expensive wise they will be roughly the same when they hit retail , i would probably say both will be in the 200 dollar range or maybe a little less, i believe u can buy the xvs or at least u could at one time for about 200 bucks from aldila (i assume the svs/dvs would be about the same as well in price maybe a little less but i doubt alot less), i was told they were thinking about putting it in the 2008 line , with a new paint scheme and so on, the tour has been testing the tour only shafts(xvs) for about a year to 6 months now(and what i was told is we know what the pros think of it and now we need to know what the average golfer thinks about it and how it performs for them)

madi05

hey chisag,

if I like and excel generally with high kick tip stiff shafts - low spin -which aldila would work best for me?

thanks

Josh

hey chisag, if I like and excel generally with high kick tip stiff shafts - low spin -which aldila would work best for me?

thanks

Josh

... josh, sounds like you are a perfect candidate for the ProtoPype. very tip stiff, but does not feel boardy at all. you can throw everything you have at it. i played it for awhile but it was too mucgh shaft for me. Olin Browne won with it on the pga tour...

http://www.golfworks.com/product.asp_Q_pn_E_AL0010W

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... AutoFlex Dream 7 SF405
Fairway:    TM Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:    Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black 70r
                  TM Dhy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r

Irons:         Titleist T200 '23 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:    Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:           2024 TP5x/2023 Maxfli Tour

After reading this, I just bought another J33r (10.5) with a stiff and spined V2 in it. What is the Burner head characteristic, is it a low-spin head? I know our equipment and swings are different, but I am going to try out the V2 as you and others give it good comments. I will try out a DVS if it doesn't work for me. I have to stay with the j33 head though, it just perfroms the way I like.

hey chisag, if I like and excel generally with high kick tip stiff shafts - low spin -which aldila would work best for me?

thanks

Josh

... josh, sounds like you are a perfect candidate for the ProtoPype. very tip stiff, but does not feel boardy at all. you can throw everything you have at it. i played it for awhile but it was too mucgh shaft for me. Olin Browne won with it on the pga tour...

http://www.golfworks.com/product.asp_Q_pn_E_AL0010W

Awesome, thanks for the advice!

After reading this, I just bought another J33r (10.5) with a stiff and spined V2 in it. What is the Burner head characteristic, is it a low-spin head? I know our equipment and swings are different, but I am going to try out the V2 as you and others give it good comments. I will try out a DVS if it doesn't work for me. I have to stay with the j33 head though, it just perfroms the way I like.

i liked the V2 just fine , so far i like the DVS a bit better , i may play tomorrow or wed. and we will see if my swing is back on track, lol

madi05

ok as promised, i played today and the old swing was at about 75% better than sundays round , very nice day hitting around 75* temp, well all i can say is this shaft holds up fine to my swing even when i go after it , i hit some what i call bombs today, i can tell u this we have a par 5 , it plays about 535 and the fairway feeds right to left and the green is elevated just a bit with bunkers everwhere , lol i hit my drive and had about 205 to the green and the pin was back so i needed a 215 shot , so i nuked my 4 hybrid right at it and it rolled off the back of the green , so there goes my eagle chance, lol but i flat out killed the drive and it was not a go after it swing because u have trouble on the right and left so it was more of a guide swing but it clicked and soared high and long and got me some roll as well , i played 9 holes and hit about 3 bombs like that and the rest were decent shots, so to say the least im loving this DVS shaft , btw i have hit the V2 about as long on this same par 5 but it didnt feel the same to me for some reason, lol now i guess i will test out the proto vs 65-s shaft next and let u guys know about that one

happy thanksgiving guys

madi05

Any updates on this thing Joe? Is the DVS in or out?

Ping G430 Max 10K 9° shaft???

Callaway Paradym AI Smoke TD 3w Ventus Red 7

Callaway Paradym AI Smoke TD 7w Ventus Red 7 

Srixon UX 4 23° Ventus Blue 8

Ping i230 5-U Dynamic Gold 105

Titleist Vokey SM9 54.10 (55°) and 60.08 Nippon Modus 105

Scotty Cameron 2024 Phantom 5.5

[quote name='madi05' post='795306' date='Nov 19 2007, 01:02 AM']Well many have known i am testing some Aldila shafts out for the VP of engineer at Aldila company, no big deal, they are not paying me at all, just some free shafts basically

here is what i was sent to test , there lighter weight shafts all in the 70 to 60 gram weight class, basically he wanted a any old joe golfers feedback

im basically telling him this so far after todays round with the DVS 60-s cinnamon shaft, to me this one gives more of a feedback pop at impact, it feels extremely ready to make contact with something (a ball) and help u get more pop with less effort , it feels really good and lively but not whippy to me , even though my second day with it was not a good swing day , i really put some drives out there with it with a bad swing or over swing so to speak, just one of those days when i didnt have much control with my swing but i felt like a big guy when i hit this shaft for some reason, the burner tp head to me is very light and hard to feel but with this shaft it feels great , a very boring trajectory mid to high launch but no ballooning, the ball just kept going out there for me , then i tried to slow the swing down and boom still long and straight

now i find myself at a point where i dont want to change this shaft out to try the proto 65 shaft out, lol so what did i do , i bought a sumo with the vs proto shaft in it , when it arrives i will let u know what i think of that one but for now i will continue to enjoy the DVS cinnamon shaft out , lol

ok on the xvs6 tour only shaft , very nice and a close second to the DVS shaft but it just doesnt have the feeling the DVS has , it has great distance but i think same swing on both the DVS will beat it by 10 yards everytime , not much but enough to make me want to keep the DVS in play , trajectory may be alittle lower but not really alot if any , u dont get the pop feeling at impact like on the DVS but it is doing its job because the result is straight and great distance ,(however i feel in my mind that if i cant feel it then it is dead or boardy so that is where the DVS wins me over) workability is about the same with both

now the epic at first impression was nice and straight and great distance but now with these other two aldila shafts in the mix , i feel the epic is way over priced , should be about a 100 bucks cheaper , now keep in mind this is just my swing we are judging and right now it is off a bit and im no scratch golfer , right now if i had to give my hdcp, it would be about a 14 which is what i shot today , lmao (86) but hey i dont practice every anymore and the weather is not that great here right now, usually im about a 8 to 10 so basically im your average old joe golfer but im a big shaft hoe , lol

V2 still to me is the best bang for the buck, it can compete with any of the above imo , and if someone said u have to buy your own shaft i wouldnt hesitate to put me a V2 in my club and be happy with it knowing it is as good as any for under a 100 bucks, but lets say my budget was 200 or 300 bucks i would probably still buy the V2 , lol but if i got to test the DVS out and the guy said for 50 bucks more u can have the DVS i would say "I DO" just because it feels so good and better than the V2 , even though they perform about the same in every category , FEEL good is where its at for me

i hope this is helping u guys and feel free to ask me questions , i will answer them the best i can

madi05[/quote]

Appreciate the information.

One request, please use complete sentences. Your run on sentences with multiple commas are very difficult to read.

[quote name='taylormade golf guy 182' post='804748' date='Nov 27 2007, 09:29 PM']Any updates on this thing Joe? Is the DVS in or out?[/quote]

DVS is still INNnnnnnnn, lol so far so good , i cant play as much right now due to weather not so good and all my playing partners are wimps, lol but so far i think i have 4 rounds with it and still hitting the bombs out there ,, i will take it out there probably tomorrow and hit it against the sumo with the vs proto 65 in it and come back to u with the results ok

hows the epic doing for u ? hows the baby doing?

madi05

• 2 weeks later...

Ok here goes, i finally had some nice weather to play again , this week is weird, in the 70's , record highs, so i played the vs proto in the nike sumo, and the dvs in my taylormade tp . While i was sitting around and since i liked the dvs shaft before i went ahead and tipped it a half inch and made it 45 inches in overall length and i spined it at 10 oclock instead of 9 , and i put piece of backer rod in the butt end. Here is what i think, (I LOVE IT ), , this thing is mean , strong and long, lol, i can work the ball with it , i hit it low or high and when i go after it hard, it is nothing more than a slight draw, or straighter, i hit most fairways with it this time and i was pleased. The vs proto is very nice but it just didnt give me the same feeling the dvs did . You know that pop feeling we all love and very seldolm feel , for the money this is the shaft for me , i cant see me hitting drives any better than this , i can honestly say it is the best i have swung so far , granted the vs proto has not had enough swings yet but u know how u just dont want to swing something else when u are swinging something that feels so good?, well that is how i feel right now , lol

i just think this shaft is the best bang for your buck, well at least for my swing it is , lol which may or may not be saying alot , lol

madi05