2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Mitsubishi OT Iron Shafts - Why No Discussion?

BDoubleG

I was at Modern Golf on Friday, being fit for a Srixon Z U65. I originally expected to fit into a Steelfiber i105, but I found it was launching a bit high for me. The fitter threw a Mitsubishi OT 105 in it and it was pure magic! Really nice launch, and feel was out of this world!

After being fir into it, I thought I'd do some research on the shaft, and there was almost nothing on GolfWRX. Why no discussion? I don't think these are JDM, are they?

Anyway, these come highly recommended from me so far, and i'd love to hear if anyone else has anything to say about them!

Ping $430 LST | Ping Tour 2.0 65 
Titleist TSr2 4w | Graphite Design Tour AD DI 8
Titleist TSr3 4h | Project X Even Flow White 100
PING i210 4-U | TT DG 120 S300
Vokey SM9 54.12D, 60.12D | TT DG S300
Scotty Cameron MonoBlok 6

Due to pain in my left elbow, I decided to test some graphite shafts a few months ago. My fitter had the Steelfibers and I really liked them the first time I tried them. A few days later I hit them again, but this time he had also the OT-I shafts, and they were sooo much better than the Steelfibers. I like everything about this shaft, the feel, the ball flight, the distance, everything. And on top they really helped with the pain. So I ordered a set of OT-I 105 in stiff at the end of October, unfortunately they have still not been delivered. Normally I would have cancelled my order, but I feel that these shafts are worth the wait.

Based on my time with them, definitely worth it!

I guess they are expensive for iron shafts, I just had the luxury of only needing one!

Good to hear. I got a message from my fitter this morning that the shafts finally arrived. Will get them installed next week, once we are back from vacation. Cannot wait...

Good stuff, I'd love to hear your views!

Enjoy!

• 4 weeks later...

These shafts are good! I finally had the chance to try my irons with the new shafts and I like everything about them, as mentioned in an earlier post. The ball flight is a bit higher compared to the C-Tapers I played previously, nevertheless I gained at least half a club. Saturday was very windy, and I was able to keep the ball below the wind without any problem. I still have to try them on the course, hopefully next week, but so far I am really impressed.

Very expensive, hard to find and test, no OEM relationship.

Very nice shaft, I just had 85 / 95 gram OT iron shafts fitted to a combo set of Mizuno JPX 900 Hot Metal and JPX 900 Forged.

You get them yet. This is what I was fit into as well. Course the epon 503 were really close.

No eom carry them stock and they are very expensive for a whole set. But they feel great and gave me the best numbers.

Ping G410 lst diamana bf
Ping g410lst 3 wood accra tz6
Epic flash 5 wood tensei blue
ping g410 tensei hybrid
Epon 705 5-gw Oban ct115
Callaway MD5 54/58
taylormade my spider 
ping hoofer
tp5x

Why no discussions? Because it came only in 75-105X, which the majority of players here would find too light and the flex is too weak for their super high swing speed and violent transition. Will go left all and hook all day...

But for us the mere mortals, I have yet to find a better iron graphite shaft. Runs close to Steelfiber, in my opinion.

I was fit in to the OT-95 S-Flex built up to X... felt better than the steel fibres, and much more consistent dispersion than the recoils I am currently playing.... but at $150 a shaft... still trying to see if I can find them at a better price.

I think the Steelfiber, with the right weight, flex and tipping, will give you very similar dispersion with lower ball flight. However, at $150 (I thought RRP is USD$100), I think it is still a worthy investment. If I were you, I'd rather pay $150 and do it in a reputable, trusted fitting shop than trying to find a cheaper one from a questionable place. Trust me, the knowledge in fitting these shafts are crucial to the result.

Just my 2-cents.

Very expensive, hard to find and test, no OEM relationship.

Very nice shaft, I just had 85 / 95 gram OT iron shafts fitted to a combo set of Mizuno JPX 900 Hot Metal and JPX 900 Forged.

You get them yet. This is what I was fit into as well. Course the epon 503 were really close.

No eom carry them stock and they are very expensive for a whole set. But they feel great and gave me the best numbers.

I don't think any OEM will carry them and I hope it will stay that way

Yes, I have the JPX 900 HM Forged combo set in play. They are performing well, although I will reserve full judgement until spring when the course gets back to normal operation. It's winter here and our parkland course like many encourage the use of mats.

The OT shaft is a slightly curious beast, IMO it blends the characteristics of Steelfiber's and Recoil's to come up with a very distinctive shaft. The standout characteristic, is it feels much softer, than it plays. The 95 feels a little stronger than the 85. The strike feel from the JPX 900 forged / OT combination is exceptionaly smooth.

Just for completeness, I tested the Accra and Fujikura's at the same weight but they felt too much like 'classic' butt firm tip soft graphite shafts. The Steelfiber i80 had been my gamer shaft before the OT's, they probably offer the same performance but with a much firmer, crisper feel.

Yes, I have the JPX 900 HM Forged combo set in play. They are performing well, although I will reserve full judgement until spring when the course gets back to normal operation. It's winter here and our parkland course like many encourage the use of mats.

The OT shaft is a slightly curious beast, IMO it blends the characteristics of Steelfiber's and Recoil's to come up with a very distinctive shaft. The standout characteristic, is it feels much softer, than it plays. The 95 feels a little stronger than the 85. The strike feel from the JPX 900 forged / OT combination is exceptionaly smooth.

Just for completeness, I tested the Accra and Fujikura's at the same weight but they felt too much like 'classic' butt firm tip soft graphite shafts. The Steelfiber i80 had been my gamer shaft before the OT's, they probably offer the same performance but with a much firmer, crisper feel.

Thanks for the feedback. Did you get yours pure'd?

Ping G410 lst diamana bf
ping g410 tensei hybrid
Epon 705 5-gw Oban ct115
Callaway MD5 54/58
taylormade my spider 
ping hoofer
tp5x

Yes I did, in for a penny, in for a pound.

Thanks Dave, now all I need to do is decide mizuno jpx 900 forged or epon 503. Granted the epon are twice as much.

Ping G410 lst diamana bf
ping g410 tensei hybrid
Epon 705 5-gw Oban ct115
Callaway MD5 54/58
taylormade my spider 
ping hoofer
tp5x

Thanks Dave, now all I need to do is decide mizuno jpx 900 forged or epon 503. Granted the epon are twice as much.

No MP66?

I didn't get to hit those. I was just looking at what I hit at my fitting at Club champion. They one tourspec?

Ping G410 lst diamana bf
ping g410 tensei hybrid
Epon 705 5-gw Oban ct115
Callaway MD5 54/58
taylormade my spider 
ping hoofer
tp5x

No MP66?

I didn't get to hit those. I was just looking at what I hit at my fitting at Club champion. They one tourspec?

I don't really go on Tour Spec that much, so I honestly don't know. I hit a few the other day and I think it feels great. The shop has a few sets with matte finishing and to me it looks great! I thought you guys in the US should have it...

No MP66?

I don't really go on Tour Spec that much, so I honestly don't know. I hit a few the other day and I think it feels great. The shop has a few sets with matte finishing and to me it looks great! I thought you guys in the US should have it...

Place I was at had the 302, 503, 703, and maybe after tour cb.

Ping G410 lst diamana bf
ping g410 tensei hybrid
Epon 705 5-gw Oban ct115
Callaway MD5 54/58
taylormade my spider 
ping hoofer
tp5x

Dave, you are a bad influence.

I read your fitting review, enjoy the new irons when they arrive.

Thanks. Even went with the puring. They should be awesome. 10 days might feel like forever.

Ping G410 lst diamana bf
ping g410 tensei hybrid
Epon 705 5-gw Oban ct115
Callaway MD5 54/58
taylormade my spider 
ping hoofer
tp5x

Thanks. Even went with the puring. They should be awesome. 10 days might feel like forever.

10 days to get them done? Wow... How does it works, anyway? Does the shop has to order everything, they do not have stocks in hand?

By the way, how much do they charge for puring? For some strange reason, I feel and believe it is just a piece of stickers. Don't mean to open another PURE vs FLO/spine debate, though... just my opinion.

10 days to get them done? Wow... How does it works, anyway? Does the shop has to order everything, they do not have stocks in hand?

By the way, how much do they charge for puring? For some strange reason, I feel and believe it is just a piece of stickers. Don't mean to open another PURE vs FLO/spine debate, though... just my opinion.

Custom build. Oti aren't a stock option. The will be swing weighted to d3 and pure'd. Not sure if I believe in puring either. I messaged Mitsubishi rayon and they never responded. It's not cheap. Think $20 per club.

Ping G410 lst diamana bf
ping g410 tensei hybrid
Epon 705 5-gw Oban ct115
Callaway MD5 54/58
taylormade my spider 
ping hoofer
tp5x

I'm guessing, but I anticipate they don't hold inventory of the OT shafts, perhaps the heads as well, so it will take a few days to get them. Then the time to assemble. Ten days isn't long, I had to wait 6 weeks for mine!

Just like you I have no stomach for a puring debate. If puring is just a sticker, it can't do any harm, other than hitting my wallet a little more!

I'm guessing, but I anticipate they don't hold inventory of the OT shafts, perhaps the heads as well, so it will take a few days to get them. Then the time to assemble. Ten days isn't long, I had to wait 6 weeks for mine!

Just like you I have no stomach for a puring debate. If puring is just a sticker, it can't do any harm, other than hitting my wallet a little more!

I agree. I'm sure they don't have the shafts in Stock and have to order them. Then get them, build them, check specs, ship. I can't play anyway with the weather. It's just knowing you have new clubs coming in.

Ping G410 lst diamana bf
ping g410 tensei hybrid
Epon 705 5-gw Oban ct115
Callaway MD5 54/58
taylormade my spider 
ping hoofer
tp5x

Well, golf is more of a mental game than you care to admit. If the sticker serves as a peace of mind, then by all means... but I am pretty sure MRC would say logo down is the way to go. Heck, I even mark my ball a certain way, in a certain color for good luck in tournaments... LOL!

My fitter ordered the shafts at the end of October, and they were delivered on the 28th of December.... But they are worth the wait!

My fitter ordered the shafts at the end of October, and they were delivered on the 28th of December.... But they are worth the wait!

Wow. That took forever. Makes 10 days sound fast.

Ping G410 lst diamana bf
ping g410 tensei hybrid
Epon 705 5-gw Oban ct115
Callaway MD5 54/58
taylormade my spider 
ping hoofer
tp5x