2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Tour Edge Exotics XLD

Lightweight, sleek and strikingly distinctive: every last detail of the XLD exudes uncompromising power that reflects the Exotics name.

The XLD's stealth-like geometric shape moves the head's CG (center of gravity) deeper and lower, generating an extremely high MOI (moment of inertia). A contributing factor to the XLD's performance is a laser-welded beta titanium face. The face is computer-milled and features varying face thickness from 2.8mm on the outer edges to 3.3mm in the center for explosive power. The distance generated by the XLD is nothing short of electrifying.

Designed for the ultimate driving experience, in-depth research went into decreasing the XLD's overall weight. This led to extensive study on reducing wall and crown thickness and created one of the lightest drivers on the market. A new waxing process minimizes the thickness and weight of the titanium crown and allows more mass to be shifted to the rear corners of the head. With the XLD, overall weight is kept to a minimum. One of the lightest drivers ever designed, the XLD weighs in at only 295 grams and releases enormous club speed to produce dramatic distance gains.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well worth a demo if you are looking for a forgiving and hot driver.

I compared it against all of the other hot drivers for 2008, the XLD consistently had better launch numbers (for me).

Some elements that make this driver unique are:

- ultralightweight (head and shaft)

- 46" stock shaft, square clubface

- shape - pentagon shape is a different approach to moving the weight back and away from the face. While not the classic pear shape that many love - I feel it is a classy look and preferred over today's square drivers. Definitely not distracting or 'odd' - I liked the shape.

Who will benefit from this club?...Those who want maximum forgiveness across the face and seek more distance. This club is less applicable to those who like to work the ball left and right or who may already have a high ballflight (reshaft may help that)

Impressions:

While everything went straight in the simulator, it was a different story at the range. I don't know if it was the 46" shaft, or the less than stellar dispersion characteristics of a stock shaft...but I was fading most drives more than usual. No problem getting center clubface contact with the 46" shaft...maybe it was my timing, square face...hard to say.

Trajectory was normal for a 10.5 degree.

Distance was very good regardless of where on the clubface contact was made

Most noticeable was great runout after the balls first hop - it ran hard.

Sound was a bit tinny (didn't notice it as much indoors). Nowhere near the tin can sound of a Cobra - but not the solid 'hammer' sound I'd prefer.

Look is very clean at address, nothing distracting

Fast forward a few weeks:

Had the club reshafted with a Matrix Xcon-5 (to maintain an ultralightweight setup - high launch/low spin) at just over 45". Had clubmaker stuff some cotton in the head to mute the sound

Same trajectory and distance, but consistency and dispersion is greatly improved....it is really incredible how straight this driver is now. The new shaft really tightened up dispersion...everything is straight-straight-straight...which is what I would expect from a high MOI driver such as this. Sound improved to a more muted thwack - nice.

A great club...the stock shaft may work for you - but if not, aftermarket shafts can make this club so much better.

Driver (9.0) - Cobra LTDx Aldila Rogue Silver 70 S, 44.5"
Wood (14.5) - Ping G425 MAX Alta CB 65 Slate S

Wood (17.5) - Ping G425 MAX Alta CB 65 Slate S
Driving Iron (20) - Srixon U65 Project X 5.5
Irons (5-6) - Srixon Z565 Project X 5.5
Irons (7-P) - Srixon Z765 Project X 5.5
Wedges - Vokey SM-7 Jet Black / 50.08 F / 54.08 M / 58.08 M DG S300
Putter - Edel E-1
Ball - Titleist Prov1x
ZGrip Midsized Grips

• 3 weeks later...

Did you try any other drivers before purchasing this one? Why did you choose this one? How did you know what shaft to put in this afterward?

I'm a really high ball hitter, any recommendations on shafts with this club to help bring it down?

It sounds like this club is both really long and forgiving.

Sorry for all of the questions. Your help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike

• 3 months later...

i bought this driver becuase i thought it was pretty neat looking i could not stand it, worst driver i have ever hit. it set up closed so i hooked everything, Even good contact felt horrible, tons of vibrations in the shaft, i could even feel the shaft rebound when i hit the ball. the set up is way way to light i felt like it was all over the place in my swing even with an X flex shaft. the 46 inch shaft didnt add much distance, in fact i think i lost distance with this driver. sounded terrible as well. overly loud and harsh.

switched to adams XTD pro driver and couldnt be happier.

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X

Hi,

Interested in selling your XLD?

TK3

My set-up:
Bag - Flex Tech Crossover
Driver - Ping G430 MAX with HZRDUS Black Smoke

3 Wood - Ping G430

Hybrid - Rocketballz 3 Hybrid
Irons - Cobra King Tour irons

Wedges - Ping Glide 4  50* / 54* / 58*
Putter - Bettinardi Queen Bee #6
Shoes - Ecco Hybrid
Ball - Maxfli Tour X

already got rid of it. piece of junk driver dont waste your time.

BALL; Chrome Soft X

• 1 month later...
i bought this driver becuase i thought it was pretty neat looking i could not stand it, worst driver i have ever hit. it set up closed so i hooked everything, Even good contact felt horrible, tons of vibrations in the shaft, i could even feel the shaft rebound when i hit the ball. the set up is way way to light i felt like it was all over the place in my swing even with an X flex shaft. the 46 inch shaft didnt add much distance, in fact i think i lost distance with this driver. sounded terrible as well. overly loud and harsh.

switched to adams XTD pro driver and couldnt be happier.

what a joke. You must be a beginning golfer. You are similar to some guy who tested out a Ft3 i was selling earlier this yr and after slicing ball after ball out of the range to the right said "hmm? even this draw model does not fix my slice...i think i will pass on buying it from you"...eeegaads!

I am a good driver of the ball. Not great, not perfect, not entirely consistent, but good. Out of ten drives on average probably 4-5 will be very good (about 250 yards). Two will be great (about 260-280 yards) and two will go...well...anywhere but straight and long.

So that said....i bought the xld driver wanting something forgiving and yet not set up like most to be severly closed. I hit a draw and do not want extra work to fight left.

This club according to tour edge site, sets up square. I found it square. Newbie up above found it closed...uh...yeah..ok..sure.

The sound is good. I have had numerous people say it has a nice 'crash' sound to it. Re comment above on lightness. Yes, i will agree, it does feel light and easy to swing. Even the site says it is one of the lightest clubs out there from any oem, they made the shaft, grip and clubhead weight a low amt.

Did i have problems feeling where the head it? No

Did i have problems going left? Not at all, nice straight flight with slight draw and with proper foot set up, easy to fade, which i have problems with on other brands.

Do i have problems controlling a 46 inch shaft? NO diff swinging this club vs any other of any length. So no.

Have i gained more straightness, longer drives, with exact same swing? Yes. Yes...and yes.

Did i get good distance? I am now consistently with little effort hitting it 250-265. I can lay into it and get more. Or I can easy off and get an effortless 225.

But put a nice easy swing and boom, 250.

I dream of 300 but without alot of lessons, i am not going to consistently be there (although i have already hit the odd one that distance with this XLD).

I think the resale of this is on the low side and that makes this club a bargain. I bought it second hand (technically, as it was a shop demo with tape on face, so almost flawless) for a really good price and i think it looks cool with the unusual pentagram shape.

I constantly have golfers i am paired with asking about it as it looks so different than other clubs. I also sets up so nice and square to open. It also has the coolest headcover, the colors of white, black and red looks so sharp and the magnetic closure, vs most having a stupid clumsy sock, make this a pleasure to take on and off.

Add in the fact all tour edge exotics products have a lifetime warranty??? Who else does this?

I love this driver. It is also a pleasure as for the first time in years, my perusing of driver reviews on this site, as new OEM stuff comes out, is down to a dwindle. I am not interested in changing so i do not even look much.

it is funny that because i did not like this driver you say i am new to the game. When actually the opposite is the truth i have been playing golf for a while now and have a good game. This club may work for you that is great it however did not work for me the 55 gram shaft was TOO light it hit it all over the place. i did not like to feel (might have a lot to do with how light it was).

that is MOP about this product if you like it fine.

the driver i use now is 2 degrees open has an 85 gram x flex shaft i doubt someone like you could even hit it. you more than likely TOO weak. especially if you average drive is only 250 i hit that with a 4 iron.

BALL; Chrome Soft X

it is funny that because i did not like this driver you say i am new to the game. When actually the opposite is the truth i have been playing golf for a while now and have a good game. This club may work for you that is great it however did not work for me the 55 gram shaft was TOO light it hit it all over the place. i did not like to feel (might have a lot to do with how light it was).

that is MOP about this product if you like it fine.

the driver i use now is 2 degrees open has an 85 gram x flex shaft i doubt someone like you could even hit it. you more than likely TOO weak. especially if you average drive is only 250 i hit that with a 4 iron.

I apologize that i thought you were a newbie. It was my only guess at why you found this club extremely closed and a hooking machine, when i found it square if not slightly open at address. The site of touredge lists it square. The people who have tried mine (friends and paired up curious partners) have found it square.

I could not find any other reason then, other than fact you must be new? I am at a loss then why someone so much more experienced than me and with such extraordinary power...would find it a closed face hooking machine...while every other person disagrees. Kind of like you saying the earth is flat while all other evidence is to the contrary? Puzzling?

We all have an opinion, no one opinion is right or wrong, but it was hard to put much credence into your comments when right off the bat in your review you are arguing the earth ain't round.

http://www.exoticsgolf.com/xld-driver.html#specifications

Tour Edge Exotics XLD Driver Specifications:

Exotics XLD Drivers Lie Face Angle Length

9.0° Driver 59° Square 46"

10.5° Driver 59° Square 46"

12.0° Driver 60° Square 46"

15.0° Driver 60° Square 46"

b33a_1.JPG

b1b3_1.JPG

nope 3put just in las vegas,

and shark i didnt say the face WAS closed i said that for me it set up closed or looked closed, i know that the product details say it is square, but to me it looked closed and as you know when something looks a certain way it feels that way as well. I have found that most if not all the square drivers look closed to me that is why i dont play the nike 5900 or callaway square. and this club was the same i looked closed, besides that it was way to light for me.

BALL; Chrome Soft X

• 3 weeks later...

I just picked up an XLD and I have to agree with the above poster. I head does seem to deflect sometimes and create a strange result the ball just drops outta the air. Is there a shaft combo that helps cause man this head is forgiving. My swing speed is liklke 112ish and would love to expieriment with this head.

Not sure if anyone else has posted this yet, but TEE is doing a deal where if you buy an XLD driver (from a retailer) you get a matching fairway wood for free. There is an authorized dealer that sells them on ebay for $199. I did check with them and that would qualify for the free fairway wood also, so for around $200 you get two new clubs. Not a bad deal by any strech.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

if i were you i would switch out the shaft for something heavier.

BALL; Chrome Soft X

• 2 years later...