What do you think the distance loss is with range balls versus a new decent ball?

Freddy300Freddy300 Members Posts: 1,164
I was curious how much more distance a new ball gives you versus hitting fairly shagged out range balls(rocks)? Do you think you pick up an average of 10 to 20 yards? I realize this is pretty subjective and probably a guess. I guess better players would have a pretty good idea.

One range I go to has a Nike clubhouse where they sell all Nike. The range balls are Nikes and they are not too bad.

A local municipal range has some decent balls and some that are so old that the dimples are worn off!

Comments

• PurePursuit PurePursuit Members Posts: 2,237
    Usually about 10-20% distance increase with good balls. Depending on if your playing the right ball in the first place.
  • Freddy300Freddy300 Members Posts: 1,164
    Shagshow wrote on May 2 2008, 11:01 AM:
    Usually about 10-20% distance increase with good balls. Depending on if your playing the right ball in the first place.

Any suggested ball for a high handicapper who generally can hit fairly straight, decent distance with irons (155 to 165 with a 5 iron) but not very long with drivers. I am about 180-185 (carry) on 3 & 5 fairwaywood. I have been trying to get some more distance and need to swing my weighted iron each day. I have a hard time getting pass 200 (carry) with my Adams 460 Dual driver.

I just bought some Pinnacle Exceptions which are supposedly long and fairly soft for some feel. The reviews are generally very good.

I was going to try some Noodle + but I need to go through 24 Pinn Exceptions first. Others on my list are Top Flite (improved company) D2 Feel or Distance, Freak or Gamer.
  • ColinMBColinMB Members Posts: 1,836
    Honestly, with my personal testing for this year, I don't know if there is a difference anymore. Just price.

If I found a distance ball that could outdistance... an '08 TP Red for me this year, I'd be pretty shocked. I know my swing improved over last year, but really I can't see the distance balls doing better. IF they in fact did, the difference in short game control would probably be massive.

The only distance ball I've put up against the higher end balls I'm playing for this year is the Srix Tri-speed. Which is a very good distance ball. Still I don't think it really goes any further than the TP reds. I guess your mileage may vary.
  • Freddy300Freddy300 Members Posts: 1,164
    ColinMB wrote on May 2 2008, 02:36 PM:
    Honestly, with my personal testing for this year, I don't know if there is a difference anymore. Just price.

If I found a distance ball that could outdistance... an '08 TP Red for me this year, I'd be pretty shocked. I know my swing improved over last year, but really I can't see the distance balls doing better. IF they in fact did, the difference in short game control would probably be massive.

The only distance ball I've put up against the higher end balls I'm playing for this year is the Srix Tri-speed. Which is a very good distance ball. Still I don't think it really goes any further than the TP reds. I guess your mileage may vary.

Thanks. I guess the main real difference with the better ball$ over cheaper models is the more expensive balls may be a little longer, a little softer and may spin a bit better with the wedges. My guess is most balls are pretty close.

I plan on using my Pinnacle Exceptions this weekend. They are supposedly pretty good, made in the same factory as Titlelist, long but with decent feel. I paid about $24.99 for 2 dozens pack at Golfsmith.

The newest TP's are supposedly very good.