HAD Quattrotech MD 65S or VS Proto 70 stiff.

playaplaya Members Posts: 8,714 ✭✭
I am thinking of getting a JDM head and sticking a new shaft in. I like both shafts but have them in different heads so can't really compare them. I'm thinking the GD is a higher quality shaft, but would like opinions of performance of both before deciding. The fitter recommended the VS Proto, but he had more experience with those as he still stocks them.

Comments

• Stuart_GStuart_G New HampshireMembers Posts: 22,937 ✭✭
    edited Jun 5, 2018 #2
    playa wrote:

I'm thinking the GD is a higher quality shaft, but would like opinions of performance of both before deciding.

why would you think that? and what do you think "quality" even means in the context of a shaft and it's performance?

playa wrote:

I like both shafts but have them in different heads so can't really compare them.

You can as long as the the playing lengths and head weights are even roughly the same. Certainly a better comparison and much more useful then anyone elses interpretation is going to be. You're certainly not going to get anything more useful or applicable from anyone else.
  • playaplaya Members Posts: 8,714 ✭✭
    Stuart G. wrote:

playa wrote:

I'm thinking the GD is a higher quality shaft, but would like opinions of performance of both before deciding.

why would you think that? and what do you think "quality" even means in the context of a shaft and it's performance?

playa wrote:

I like both shafts but have them in different heads so can't really compare them.

You can as long as the the playing lengths and head weights are even roughly the same. Certainly a better comparison and much more useful then anyone elses interpretation is going to be. You're certainly not going to get anything more useful or applicable from anyone else.

I thought that the GD shafts (HAD in the title due to auto correct lol) were higher quality from what I've read and what others have told me about them, but that's nothing against Aldila as they are also top shelf. They are both great shafts.

The heads on them are very different in sound and feel so it's not easy to compare. I was hoping someone who has played both in the same head would have a better comparison.
  • Stuart_GStuart_G New HampshireMembers Posts: 22,937 ✭✭
    edited Jun 5, 2018 #4
    playa wrote:

I thought that the GD shafts (HAD in the title due to auto correct lol) were higher quality from what I've read and what others have told me about them, but that's nothing against Aldila as they are also top shelf. They are both great shafts.

The whole point of the first question is that many people have a lot of strange misconceptions about what "quality" actually means with a shaft and how it might have any effect on performance and results. They think a higher quality shaft means it will perform better for them but that's rarely the case.

Quality is entirely about: 1) what are the percentages of shafts that will be defective and in what way (structural or cosmetic) and 2a) How consistent are they between different instances of the same shaft. e.g. if I buy a second shaft, how close will it match the first one I tried. And a offshoot of that 2b) level of asymmetry in the stiffness profile.

Other then that, it really has nothing to do with the consistency or quality of your results you're going to get with that shaft.

And I haven't seen any data that actually shows either one of those being higher quality in that context. Very little of that type of comparison data actually exists. Few people have processes that many shafts of the same model to generate statistically accurate results. Tom probably has when he was gathering data for is profiling software but he tends not to name names when talking about which shafts have good consistency and which shafts were poor.

Most people think that higher price means higher quality and assume one will get better results - but that's one of the bigger misconceptions in the industry.

playa wrote:

The heads on them are very different in sound and feel so it's not easy to compare.

Are you just talking about impact - or are you saying the playing lengths and head weights (and therefore swing weights) are significantly different?

One thing I can say is that. as I understand it, the QuattroTech's tend to be quite a bit softer in the tip (higher launching for some) than the vs-proto's.
    Stuart G. wrote:

playa wrote:

The whole point of the first question is that many people have a lot of strange misconceptions about what "quality" actually means with a shaft and how it might have any effect on performance and results. They think a higher quality shaft means it will perform better for them but that's rarely the case.

Quality is entirely about: 1) what are the percentages of shafts that will be defective and in what way (structural or cosmetic) and 2a) How consistent are they between different instances of the same shaft. e.g. if I buy a second shaft, how close will it match the first one I tried. And a offshoot of that 2b) level of asymmetry in the stiffness profile.

Other then that, it really has nothing to do with the consistency or quality of your results you're going to get with that shaft.

And I haven't seen any data that actually shows either one of those being higher quality in that context. Very little of that type of comparison data actually exists. Few people have processes that many shafts of the same model to generate statistically accurate results. Tom probably has when he was gathering data for is profiling software but he tends not to name names when talking about which shafts have good consistency and which shafts were poor.

Most people think that higher price means higher quality and assume one will get better results - but that's one of the bigger misconceptions in the industry.

playa wrote:

The heads on them are very different in sound and feel so it's not easy to compare.

Are you just talking about impact - or are you saying the playing lengths and head weights (and therefore swing weights) are significantly different?

One thing I can say is that. as I understand it, the QuattroTech's tend to be quite a bit softer in the tip (higher launching for some) than the vs-proto's.

Thanks for the info re: tip/flight. VS Proto is lower torque too. I am robably going higher loft at 10.5 so it sounds like VS Proto might be the go.
  • TollBrosTollBros Overseer of the Test Range Sponsors Posts: 4,848 ✭✭
    The quattrotech MD line is super smooth and had very good ball speeds in testing way back. It is one of the best feeling, reasonably low spin shafts you'll find. It isn't ultra low spin, but low enough, looks great in blue, and feels tremendous.
    http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/forum/608-greengrassevaluationscom/

Please click the link above for our Sponsor area with rare and Tour only products.
    TollBros wrote:

The quattrotech MD line is super smooth and had very good ball speeds in testing way back. It is one of the best feeling, reasonably low spin shafts you'll find. It isn't ultra low spin, but low enough, looks great in blue, and feels tremendous.

I concur the feel of the Quattrotech is superb. I have a free session on the launch monitor at the local tonight so will have a shootout and compare.