Dad got fitted

stanger37stanger37 Posts: 349 ✭✭
Dad went to GG to get fitted. He is using TM R9 driver and R7 irons, so going on 12 years old, pre-obnoxious lofts.

Guy recommended he goes regular shafts over stiff these days, did not give him his swing speed just circled 90-99. The gentleman who helped him out told him to look towards the Rogue X, Ping 400/700 and TM M3/M4 irons. With how the lofts are set up these days and the different sources to buy clubs, has anyone else had success in only buying the 6-P sets and then subbing in a HL wood and/or hybrid to work in gaps at the top of the bag? I know slower swing speeds and high lofted irons don't necessarily work well together. Dad can hit his now 5i fine, which is a 6 iron in the new sets. I know he can benefit from the newer iron technologies, but he is certainly apprehensive on spending $1000 on new set. But online you can save a few hundreds of dollars getting the smaller sets (6-P) Maybe if I can pitch an idea to soften the blow it'll loosen him up. Or maybe he doesn't need a new set at all, and I am just trying to club-ho him since right now I do not need anything for myself. image/stink.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':stink:' />

or of course if anyone has experience with the sets they recommended. I am a little sketchy of the M3/M4 with the face slot issues happening. I've had luck with my PSI's knock on wood. I've done my fair share of searching on here and the Ping's have gotten a lot of love on this forum. Planning on going to GG and/or PGASS to hit this weekend to get a feel for what he may like.

Thanks!
Nike Vapor Fly Driver 9.5*
]Nike Vapor Fly 3W 15*
Nike Vapor Fly 7W 21*
Taylormade PSI 4-PW
Cleveland RTX 52/10
Cleveland CG15 56/14
Taylormade Hi-Toe 60
Odyessy O-Works #7

Comments

• Brooky03Brooky03 Posts: 204
    edited Jul 13, 2018 #2
    I wouldn't worry about the jacked lofts that much. They're stronger nowadays to counteract the higher launch that modern GI and SGI heads usually provide. Iron length is where manufacturers tend to do the most cheating, so check that the length/lie is appropriate and go from there. You could always shorten the irons to more traditional lengths if that's a consideration.

Carrying a hybrid in place of a 5 iron is not uncommon nowadays with golfers playing GI and SGI sets. If he hits hybrids well, I wouldn't hesitate to start the iron set with a 6. If he prefers irons over hybrids, a modern day 5 iron in a GI or SGI set is pretty easy to hit, especially if you cut the length down a tad. Either way, grabbing a hybrid in place of a 5 iron is not going to save a ton of money if you're buying new. The difference between a 5-PW iron set and a 6-PW iron set should be about a hundred dollars. If you're buying a new hybrid, you're probably going to pay about a hundred dollars. The $300-400 difference you referenced sounds like the difference between a 3-PW set and a 6-PW set.

edit: It's been a while since I've looked at brand new prices. The additional iron might cost closer to $150-200, but a hybrid would also be in the same price range, so the general advice is the same.
  • Sean2Sean2 #TheWRX (Callaway Trip) Members Posts: 30,826 ✭✭
    I am in my 60s and a few of my peers have purchased irons with 21.5º lofted 5-irons. None of them can hit it very well. My iron set starts with a 6-iron (27º). For contrast, the Rogue X 6-iron is (24º). Not too long ago that was the loft of a 4-iron.

If I purchased the Rogue X irons, my first iron would be a 7.
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Callaway Rogue[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Callaway GBB Epic 16º/20º/24º[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Callaway Steelhead XR 25º[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Callaway Apex CF16 6-AW [/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Callaway MD3/MD-PM 54º/58º[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Callaway "O" Works #7[/font]
  • RobS14526RobS14526 Members Posts: 1,095 ✭✭
    What kind of player is your father? If you're trying to stretch a buck, you could look into reshafting his current sticks and add a couple hybrids at the top end. The R7's were pretty well regarded.
  • memphishornmemphishorn memphishorn ClubWRX Posts: 800 ClubWRX
    After my first fitting ever (been playing 50 years) I am now waiting for a set of Titleist AP1 718 6- 48* Gap wedge in Tensi graphite stiff. I have been playing AP1 714 regular steel and 2008 AP1’s steel stiff before that.

The range fitting convinced me the stiff graphite’s were the right answer even though I’ve always viewed graphite irons as old guy clubs. Now that I’m 64 I qualify.

On the monitor I was picking up a full club with the graphite’s so can’t wait to get them.
    Titleist 915 D2 10.5* Diamana Blue 60 Regular
     Titleist 915F 15*Diamana Blue 70 Regular
     Titleist 904F 19* YS6 Stiff
    Titleist Hybrid (816) 23* and (816) 25* Bassara Regular
    Titleist AP1 718 6-GW1 Tensei Graphite Stiff
    Vokey 52.08 SM6, 56.14 SM6
    Scotty Cameron Newport Classic 
    Titleist Hybrid 14 Bag

Classic Bag
    MacGregor MT Tourney 1967 WM2T 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 Persimmon w/ Aluminum Insert
    MacGregor MT Tourney 1971 Split Sole irons 3-10
    MacGregor VIP 1967 Sand Iron
    Ping Anser 1969 85020
    Burton White Leather Bag
  • NoTalentLeftyNoTalentLefty Members Posts: 3,440 ✭✭
    edited Jul 13, 2018 #6
    Actually I did the 6-PW for my last 3 sets. I’m 59 and can’t get rid of the Hybrids in the 3,4,&5 . My SS with a driver is near 95.

Actually added the 48 and 53 degree AP1s in this last set.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    Livin' proof that Lefties are not naturally talented.

Driver Titleist 913 D3 44 inches also a Cleveland Classic 310 43.5 inches
    3 and 5 Wood Ping G15
    3-5 Hybrids Cobra Baffler XL
    6-GW Titleist AP1s
    53 degree Wedge Titleist AP1
    58 degree SW Vokey SM6
    Putter White Hot V LINE Fang w/round Edel Grip
  • memphishornmemphishorn memphishorn ClubWRX Posts: 800 ClubWRX
    I'm starting at the 6 iron since I have 4 & 5 hybrids. Added a 54 & 60 Vokey to the 48 Gap Wedge
    Titleist 915 D2 10.5* Diamana Blue 60 Regular
     Titleist 915F 15*Diamana Blue 70 Regular
     Titleist 904F 19* YS6 Stiff
    Titleist Hybrid (816) 23* and (816) 25* Bassara Regular
    Titleist AP1 718 6-GW1 Tensei Graphite Stiff
    Vokey 52.08 SM6, 56.14 SM6
    Scotty Cameron Newport Classic 
    Titleist Hybrid 14 Bag

Classic Bag
    MacGregor MT Tourney 1967 WM2T 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 Persimmon w/ Aluminum Insert
    MacGregor MT Tourney 1971 Split Sole irons 3-10
    MacGregor VIP 1967 Sand Iron
    Ping Anser 1969 85020
    Burton White Leather Bag
  • wkuo3wkuo3 RELEASE Members Posts: 3,794 ClubWRX
    Was there fee for the G.G. "fitting " ?

All I could say is, you get what you paid for.

Your best source of finding out if your father could order a mix set with custom options is either talk to an authorized dealer of contact T.M. directly. They sell equipment online don;t they ? or call the customer service and they'll send you to the right person to talk to.
  • carrier streetcarrier street Members Posts: 1,174 ✭✭
    I think those new Rogue's offer TWO set matching wedges between the PW and the SW. It seems to me the numbers on the bottom of the clubs on most of the latest GI irons are meaningless. Would just have him hit them and see what distances those clubs are covering. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

As far as hitting the longer clubs, My father (70+) recently switched from a 6-pw set with hybrids to a newer GI set (Taylor Made of some sort. Model escapes me) that's 4-PW with no hybrids and loves it.
    M3
    910 FD
    P790 UDI 2 iron
    3-PW MP18 MB
    Vokey 54S and 60L
    Scotty TEI3 Newport
  • Hack DaddyHack Daddy Members Posts: 675 ✭✭
    RobS14526 wrote:

What kind of player is your father? If you're trying to stretch a buck, you could look into reshafting his current sticks and add a couple hybrids at the top end. The R7's were pretty well regarded.

Great suggestion
    Nike Vapor Pro Aldilla RIP NL
    Nike VR Covert Tour 2.0 3W Aldilla RIP
    Nike VR Pro Combo 3-PW Nippon Pro Modus 105
    Nike VR 54/58 S300
    Nike B1-01 Black pearl shaft, Cork Tree Pistol
    TP5X