Apple Watch/GPS apps

catcher20catcher20 San AntonioMembers Posts: 158 ✭✭
I’ve tried searching, but have come up empty. For those that have an Apple Watch, have you tried any of the golf GPS apps? If so, which ones and did they work decently?
TM M3 460 9.5* ROGUE SILVER 110 70 X
TM RBZ 15*. PROFORCE V2 7F5
PING G 18* HYBRID. ALDILA TOUR GREEN
TM ROCKETBLADEZ 4-AW. X100'S (THEY'VE BEEN TOO GOOD TO GET RID OF)
CLEVELAND RTX4 54 AND 58. S400'S
ODYSSEY O-WORKS #1
TM TP5X

Comments

• timehoctimehoc Members Posts: 144 ✭✭
    I've used Grint and Hole19 on the Apple Watch. I prefer Grint due to a nicer UI and ease of logging your score.
  • moodogg98moodogg98 Members Posts: 83 ✭✭
    18 birdies works great for me. I tally scores and stats straight on my watch. No extree fees either.
  • Lancj1Lancj1 Members Posts: 898 ✭✭
    Golf pad works brilliantly. There is an insignificant annual fee. You get a full featured score card and scoring gps app on the phone and your watch becomes a GPS golf watch that works like a garmin (I have had garmins)

I have used this all summer and its faultless
    G Max Driver, Tour 65 Stiff
    G400 3 & 5 Woods Alta CB Reg
    G400 2,3,4,5 Hybrids Alta CB Reg
    G410 Irons, 6-U, Green Dot, Alta CB Reg + 1/2"
    Glide Stealth 54 (SS) & 58 (WS) Green Dot, Alta CB Reg + 1/2"
    Ping Sigma 2 Valor, Stealth

Disclaimer*

I'm a handicap golfer in my 50's. Any opinions I have about golf equipment or professional golfers or the game in general should be taken as seriously as you would the opinions of a random guy in the fourball ahead of you who just shot 92 but is usually better than that.
  • AugustokAugustok Members Posts: 77 ✭✭
    After trying a few I stayed with hole 19 standard. Played about 80 rounds with it. Battery on watch lasted fine after putting phone in airplane mode. Yardage worked fine just lifting wrist always right there. I would keep score and putts. Next year I would really like something with real shot tracking. If something like Accros would run off the watch I would be happy. I like the size of the Apple Watch opposed to the golf specific GPS watches out there. I had an original Garmin for several years the Apple Watch is just more comfortable to wear.
  • catcher20catcher20 San AntonioMembers Posts: 158 ✭✭
    Do you have to have your phone close by for those apps to work well? I dont own an Apple watch, but I believe my wife is getting me one for Christmas.

The only time this would come into play would be for cart path only days when my phone stays in the cart.
    ODYSSEY O-WORKS #1
    TM TP5X
  • siegs07siegs07 Members Posts: 66 ✭✭
    I'm in the same boat with a possible apple watch gift coming soon, I'm a little concerned about a quality golf gps app that can run without requiring my phone. My Garmin Approach X10 has been absolutely perfect for what I need on my course, so I probably would only use my apple watch in a situation where I forget to charge my golf-only watch. I look forward to trying different watch apps anyways though to see what is out there.
    Callaway Big Bertha Alpha
    Cobra King F9 Tour 4w
    Mizuno MP-18 MMC Fli-Hi 3i
    Mizuno MP-18 SC 4-PW
    Mizuno T7 52* and 58*
    Scotty Cameron Select Newport
    With Hole 19 the phone doesn’t need to be near you. Just on the first tee until it finds your course which doesn’t really take long. Then you can really just turn your phone off if you want, the watch works on it’s own. At the end of the round go back to phone and save. You get an email with your stats.
    Augustok wrote:

With Hole 19 the phone doesn’t need to be near you. Just on the first tee until it finds your course which doesn’t really take long. Then you can really just turn your phone off if you want, the watch works on it’s own. At the end of the round go back to phone and save. You get an email with your stats.

That sounds quite helpful. How is the accuracy compared to other methods?
    ODYSSEY O-WORKS #1
    TM TP5X
    catcher20 wrote:

Augustok wrote:

That sounds quite helpful. How is the accuracy compared to other methods?

It’s as accurate as my old garmin Watch. It’s never more than 5 yards different from anything I compare it with, Lazers, sprinkler heads, other people’s gps. And that’s good enough for me.
  • aadadamsaadadams Members Posts: 54 ✭✭
    I have tried them all... Didn’t see it mentioned but I use fun golf. The name undersells it, it’s a great app. I get yardages quick, no phone needed.
    Thank you all for the insight... now my wife just needs to come through with the watch...
    ODYSSEY O-WORKS #1
    TM TP5X
  • BlackM00NlightBlackM00Nlight IowaMembers Posts: 3,581 ✭✭
    Got myself a series 4 and looking to run something too later when the thaw hits. I do enjoy using 18 birdies on the phone so might go that route.
    Mizuno ST-190G Tensei White 70X
    Mizuno ST-190TS 15* Tensei White 70X
    Mizuno CLK 19* 3 Hybrid Speeder Evo HB 95X (swap with 2 iron)
    Nike Vapor Pro Combo 2-A wedge AMT X100 (plus 1/2" 3 up)
    Nike Engage Dual Sole 58 DG S400 (plus 1/2" 3 up)
    Nike Origin B1-01
    Nike RZN Tour Platinum

• larryd3larryd3 Members Posts: 588 ✭✭
    Fun golf works well and runs off the watch’s GPS so you don’t need a phone.
    TM M4
    Epic 15*
    816 H1 19*
    816 H1 24*
    PXG 0311 5-gw
    54* SM6 M
    58* SM7 S
    PXG Operator H
  • fredstfredst Members Posts: 1
    Golfshot best GPS on iwatch
    fredst wrote:

I tried golf shot a couple of times and it too too long to find the hole. I tried a few before I settled on Hold 19 for now. I’m sure it’s kind of an individual thing and maybe geography could have something to do with how one might work better than another for each individual.
    Augustok wrote:

fredst wrote:

I tried golf shot a couple of times and it too too long to find the hole. I tried a few before I settled on Hold 19 for now. I’m sure it’s kind of an individual thing and maybe geography could have something to do with how one might work better than another for each individual.

How do all these relate to watch and phone battery life? I know when I am using my 18 birdies app, my phone battery life gets sucked donw quickly.
    ODYSSEY O-WORKS #1
    TM TP5X
  • aadadamsaadadams Members Posts: 54 ✭✭
    Fun Golf has no noticeable impact on battery life. i.e. I have to charge every night anyway I still get through the day. Off charge at about 7AM and back on charge at about 11PM with more than 30% battery remaining.
  • whsbusswhsbuss Members Posts: 187 ✭✭
    I just got my Apple Watch S4 and downloaded Hole 19. It’s cold here so it will be a while before I get out on the course. Anyway, I loaded my home course about 3 miles from my home and started the round on the iPhone. So it shows the normal hole distances even though I’m not at the course.

On my watch it has the Hile 19 app opened and says to start a round on the iPhone. My question is do I actually have to be at the course playing for the watch to display?
    I think you do need to be at the cours I i usually start it when we are hanging around the first hole, once it finds you on the phone and the watch I put phone on airplane and don’t bother with the phone. I don’t like checking messages, texts etc while playing.
  • whsbusswhsbuss Members Posts: 187 ✭✭
    Augustok wrote:

I think you do need to be at the cours I i usually start it when we are hanging around the first hole, once it finds you on the phone and the watch I put phone on airplane and don’t bother with the phone. I don’t like checking messages, texts etc while playing.

Thank you
  • ParHunterParHunter Members Posts: 450 ✭✭
    aadadams wrote:

I have tried them all... Didn’t see it mentioned but I use fun golf. The name undersells it, it’s a great app. I get yardages quick, no phone needed.

I second that. Great app - stupid name.It is not free though but you get what you pay for.
  • Fried SliceFried Slice Golf Hack Extraordinaire Members Posts: 155 ✭✭
    I played with my apple watch (with cellular) with arccos last week when weather in MI was in the 50's. Works well enough but I think it still gets distances from your phone, which doesn't bother me since I had have it by me before I got the apple watch. I'm just excited about having so gps I can use for golf along with my rangefinder.
    Cobra F8+ 9.5* Hzrdus Red 62
    Cobra F6 Baffler 16.5* Matix Red Tie 65Q4
    Titleist 716 TMB 18* Graphite Design Tour AD
    Ping G410 22* Alta CB 70 Red
    Ben Hogan Fort Worth 15 Hi 24* Fujikura Speeder Pro 85
    Ben Hogan Fort Worth 15 32*-44*, Hogan PTX 28* KBS Tour V
    Ben Hogan TK Wedge 48*, 52*, 56* KBS Tour V
    Evnroll 5 Hatchback