Kohler/Erin Hills May 30 - June 2

tharpst

Our group of 8 is heading up at the end of May to play the 4 American club courses, the Bull, and Erin Hills. What should I expect for weather this time of year? We are playing the Straits with 7:50 and 8:00 tee times and I’ve heard conditions can be chilly if wind is blowing in from the lake. Thanks in advance!!!

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the input!!! I'm from St. Louis so I'm accustomed to that late spring midwest weather and figured it could fluctuate greatly.

How nice is the Bull? We are playing Irish Straits one morning and have nothing booked that afternoon. We were most likely going to play the Bull but it is also the day before we play Erin Hills, so wasn't sure if its worth playing the Bull or if we'd be better off just resting up for Erin Hills. Thanks again.

Thanks for the input!!! I'm from St. Louis so I'm accustomed to that late spring midwest weather and figured it could fluctuate greatly.

How nice is the Bull? We are playing Irish Straits one morning and have nothing booked that afternoon. We were most likely going to play the Bull but it is also the day before we play Erin Hills, so wasn't sure if its worth playing the Bull or if we'd be better off just resting up for Erin Hills. Thanks again.

Hey, i'm just south of you in Farmington, MO. Welcome to golfwrx.

My wife and I make the trip to Kohler every summer (usually late June). You will love The Bull. Of course, it is not the course that Whistling Straits or Erin Hills is, but it is a very good public course. My wife and I just happened to drive by it one day while exploring the area and I was blown away by how good it was. The first 4 holes kind of wind thru a subdivision, like many courses you would play in St. louis. Then starting on #5, every hole is zigging and zagging in and out of woods, over creeks and plenty of seclusion. The course is a lot of fun, you will see a lot of good reviews if you use the search function. If you need any specific info about the area or any questions, just message me. Have fun.

My wife and I make the trip to Kohler every summer (usually late June). You will love The Bull. Of course, it is not the course that Whistling Straits or Erin Hills is, but it is a very good public course. My wife and I just happened to drive by it one day while exploring the area and I was blown away by how good it was. The first 4 holes kind of wind thru a subdivision, like many courses you would play in St. louis. Then starting on #5, every hole is zigging and zagging in and out of woods, over creeks and plenty of seclusion. The course is a lot of fun, you will see a lot of good reviews if you use the search function. If you need any specific info about the area or any questions, just message me. Have fun.

Thanks so much! I've been on WRX for the last couple years but never really had much of a reason to post. I used search extensively when we went to Vegas last summer and it really helped plan our trip.

For Kohler, we are staying at the American Club and playing:

Whistling Straits on 5/30

Both Blackwolf Run courses on 5/31

Irish Straits and most likely the Bull on 6/1

Erin Hills on 6/2

Thanks so much! I've been on WRX for the last couple years but never really had much of a reason to post. I used search extensively when we went to Vegas last summer and it really helped plan our trip.

For Kohler, we are staying at the American Club and playing:

Whistling Straits on 5/30

Both Blackwolf Run courses on 5/31

Irish Straits and most likely the Bull on 6/1

Erin Hills on 6/2

You are in for some great fun. Always like golfer reviews/comparisons of these courses after they play them for the first time. The Bull is a fantastic test of golf!

What about tee box recommendations at the different courses? Our handicaps range from 3.5 to 9, with most of us being 6 through 9. I know its heavily dependent on weather-related factors, but lets just pretend no rain and not incredibly windy.

Also, any recommendations on a local Kohler watering hole for after the rounds or one near Erin for Saturday night? We enjoy the post-round drinks just as much as we enjoy the golf :)

Re Tees, what do you normally play?

I'm right around that hcp and typically play ~ 6300 - 6700 Tees, that will be a mixture of green, blue. That being said, I've played the white plenty and would consider that as well, especially atRiver and Straits. Then only downfall to playing whites is it can take driver out of play if you have some bombers in the group. green is plenty challenging for my game, blue is doable but can be too much if I'm just even slightly off. I think Straits the blues are over 7k.

If you like good craft beer I always recommend 8th St. Ale Haus, excellent selection of craft beer on tap ~ 30 or so, and even more bottle/bomber offerings. They also have a decent whiskey/scotch offerings as well. Not known for food, but its good enough....cheese curds are good! Very nice atmosphere!

I'm right around that hcp and typically play ~ 6300 - 6700 Tees, that will be a mixture of green, blue. That being said, I've played the white plenty and would consider that as well, especially atRiver and Straits. Then only downfall to playing whites is it can take driver out of play if you have some bombers in the group. green is plenty challenging for my game, blue is doable but can be too much if I'm just even slightly off. I think Straits the blues are over 7k.

If you like good craft beer I always recommend 8th St. Ale Haus, excellent selection of craft beer on tap ~ 30 or so, and even more bottle/bomber offerings. They also have a decent whiskey/scotch offerings as well. Not known for food, but its good enough....cheese curds are good! Very nice atmosphere!

Thanks Ode, we generally play the blues or second longest tee boxes. However, just looking at the Straits, River, and Erin Hills, those are either over 7k or right near 7k, so that is substantially longer than the courses we generally play.

We do have a few guys that really pound on their drivers but I'd say average driving distance is somewhere around 260-270 in the group, with 2 guys up around 290-300 and one guy down around 240-245.

We'll definitely try the 8th St. Ale Haus, definitely not foodies... We are more beer and appetizer guys.

Thanks Ode, we generally play the blues or second longest tee boxes. However, just looking at the Straits, River, and Erin Hills, those are either over 7k or right near 7k, so that is substantially longer than the courses we generally play.

We do have a few guys that really pound on their drivers but I'd say average driving distance is somewhere around 260-270 in the group, with 2 guys up around 290-300 and one guy down around 240-245.

We'll definitely try the 8th St. Ale Haus, definitely not foodies... We are more beer and appetizer guys.

Group of 7 averaging 270 off the tee...Impressive. If that is true you have no business playing the whites. I fly it like 240-250 and played the blues (7000ish) and didn't think it was overly long.

Group of 7 averaging 270 off the tee...Impressive. If that is true you have no business playing the whites. I fly it like 240-250 and played the blues (7000ish) and didn't think it was overly long.

Great to know, originally was leaning towards the greens but may play the blues if it is perfect weather conditions. We want to be challenged, which obviously we would be challenged playing any tee box on these courses, but don't want it to be a miserable experience. I would say we try to stick around 6500-6800 yards.

7142 for the blues would definitely be longer than probably every course we played in 2018. The longest course in our area is Gateway National and we usually play the back tees, which is around 6700. More I look at it, greens may be the way to go at The Straits.

Great to know, originally was leaning towards the greens but may play the blues if it is perfect weather conditions. We want to be challenged, which obviously we would be challenged playing any tee box on these courses, but don't want it to be a miserable experience. I would say we try to stick around 6500-6800 yards.

7142 for the blues would definitely be longer than probably every course we played in 2018. The longest course in our area is Gateway National and we usually play the back tees, which is around 6700. More I look at it, greens may be the way to go at The Straits.

Gateway seems to always play longer.. I feel like it is almost always windy there. 3 into the wind at 640ish feels like 700. Green tees will be a really good challenge still and fit what you are looking for.

If you like Gateway you should check out Sheperd's Crook on your way to WS at the Illinois/Wisconsin border. Keith Foster designed both courses and you can definitely notice the similarities. I love Gateway and would put it in the top 10 public in Illinois. Doesn't get much recognition up here in Chicago though.

What about tee box recommendations at the different courses? Our handicaps range from 3.5 to 9, with most of us being 6 through 9. I know its heavily dependent on weather-related factors, but lets just pretend no rain and not incredibly windy.

Also, any recommendations on a local Kohler watering hole for after the rounds or one near Erin for Saturday night? We enjoy the post-round drinks just as much as we enjoy the golf :)

As for local watering holes, there is a bar/restaurant attached to the American Club called The Horse & Plow. Let me recommend a few things that are available right in the Horse & Plow. Being from Missouri, you need to try cheese curds. They are nothing like 'cheese sticks' like we have here. Cheese curds are ridiculously good. So is the beer cheese soup. And dessert at the Horse & Plow is always a treat. I have not had a bad dessert there and I've tried everything they have.

Gateway seems to always play longer.. I feel like it is almost always windy there. 3 into the wind at 640ish feels like 700. Green tees will be a really good challenge still and fit what you are looking for.

If you like Gateway you should check out Sheperd's Crook on your way to WS at the Illinois/Wisconsin border. Keith Foster designed both courses and you can definitely notice the similarities. I love Gateway and would put it in the top 10 public in Illinois. Doesn't get much recognition up here in Chicago though.

I live about 15 minutes from Gateway and play at least 10 rounds there a year. It does always seem to play long due to the wind and how wet they usually keep the course. I'm actually in O'Fallon, IL, but I just use St. Louis since most people aren't familiar with O'Fallon. Have you played any of the other east side public courses, like Ann Briar, Far Oaks, or Stonewolf. Most people from outside the area would take Ann Briar over Gateway, but I'm partial to Gateway as the best course on this side of the river.

We aren't going to have any extra time on this trip but I will definitely keep Shepherd's Crook on the list for the future. I'm up in Chicago 3-4 times a year with the wife and kids, so maybe I can sneak out one summer morning and play it.

As for local watering holes, there is a bar/restaurant attached to the American Club called The Horse & Plow. Let me recommend a few things that are available right in the Horse & Plow. Being from Missouri, you need to try cheese curds. They are nothing like 'cheese sticks' like we have here. Cheese curds are ridiculously good. So is the beer cheese soup. And dessert at the Horse & Plow is always a treat. I have not had a bad dessert there and I've tried everything they have.

Thanks exgolfpro... Saw the Horse and Plow on the American Club website, I'm sure we will be there Thursday night or Friday night, or maybe both nights :) We have a history of staying at the "hotel" bar way too late on these trips

I live about 15 minutes from Gateway and play at least 10 rounds there a year. It does always seem to play long due to the wind and how wet they usually keep the course. I'm actually in O'Fallon, IL, but I just use St. Louis since most people aren't familiar with O'Fallon. Have you played any of the other east side public courses, like Ann Briar, Far Oaks, or Stonewolf. Most people from outside the area would take Ann Briar over Gateway, but I'm partial to Gateway as the best course on this side of the river.

We aren't going to have any extra time on this trip but I will definitely keep Shepherd's Crook on the list for the future. I'm up in Chicago 3-4 times a year with the wife and kids, so maybe I can sneak out one summer morning and play it.

I am from St. Louis. Very familiar with O'fallon worked at Far Oaks and Gateway years ago! Then was one of the pros at Pevely Farms. Moved to Chicago 4 years ago. Ann Briar is good too, but I prefer gateway. Last time I was at Ann Briar I wasn't all that impressed. I have only been there twice the past 5 years or so though. But I when I go back home I usually play Gateway and Fox Run out in Eureka.