ANNOUNCEMENT:
Please have patience. We understand that this sucks and it will get MUCH better.

Link to full post HERE
Please add any bugs (problems) with new software in the Website Help Forum. There is a dedicated thread HERE.

To what lengths have you gone to play a certain course?

jonnymc44jonnymc44 Manchester UKMembers Posts: 35 ✭✭
Last year my brother in law got married in St Andrews. I've always wanted to play the Old Course but have never had an excuse to visit. I'm from Manchester in England and the drive is only around 4.5 hours but just have never made the trip. Last year was my year.

I worked through the day on a Wednesday and finished around 6pm. Got home and jumped straight in the car with my wife and we drove up. Just as a bit of background you can't enter the ballot or book in advance as a single golfer, which is why I'd never played before. I spoke to the course during the week and they told me the earlier you arrive at the starter's hut the better chance you have being paired with a group on the day.

We arrived in St Andrews around midnight. I dropped my wife off at the house and proceeded to the starter's hut. It was the back end of May and temperature were fluctuating at night between 5C and 10C. That night it was especially cold with the har (sea mist) that shrouded the course. The temperature was just above 0C.

To my surprise, having arrived at the starter's hut at 12.30am, I wasn't the first in line! I took my clubs, dumped them next to me and tried to sleep. No such luck. Bobble hat in my bag and 3 jumpers later I couldn't sleep, too cold. More guys joined through the night until about 20 were waiting at 6am.

I managed 45mins sleep in the entire night on the floor next to the starter's hut. It was all worthwhile. I got out in the first group at 6.30am.

First tee shot was awful to say the least. I nearly pulled it out of bounds left. But I didn't care, I was playing the Old Course!

Here are some of the guys sleeping at the starter's hut

Comments

• kmay__kmay__ Advanced Members Posts: 198 ✭✭
    Thats awesome. I wouldnt have thought guys were showing up as early as midnight though, haha I'm sure it was worth it!
    TM 17' M2 9.5*
    Cobra Bio-Cell 16.5*
    PING G30 4 22*
    TM R11 5 - PW
    Mizuno MP-T5 50*, 54*
    Callaway PM Grind 60* (the greasy Phil)
    SC studio select Newport 2 mid-slant
  • deadsolid...shankdeadsolid...shank ClubWRX Charter Members Posts: 14,336 ClubWRX
    Cool to see pictures of what we’ve read about for years.
    Titleist 910 8.5
    Titleist 910 15*
    Titleist 910H 17*
    2-6 Mizuno MP-60, 7-PW MP-67
    SC GoLo
    Vokey SM5 52,58,62
  • DavePelz4DavePelz4 A golf course in the Chicago area.ClubWRX Charter Members Posts: 23,999 ClubWRX
    For the 25+ years I've tried to get on Chicago Golf Club which is the oldest country club in the States and 1 of 5 founding member clubs of the USGA. Harder to get on CGC than Augusta. Michael Jordan was denied membership. Tried so many angles and repeatedly failed.

One of the WRX'ers from Chicago was part of a pipe fitters golf event and one of the auction items was a round at CGC. He called and asked how much we'd pay for it per person. I figured we were talking a thousand minimally. Think we paid less than $500/person and had the most memorable round of my life. Such an amazing course with so much history.