ANNOUNCEMENT:
Please have patience. We understand that this sucks and it will get MUCH better.

Link to full post HERE
Please add any bugs (problems) with new software in the Website Help Forum. There is a dedicated thread HERE.

Club Build - MOI Matched Set

csufmancsufman Advanced Members Posts: 132 ✭✭
edited March 14 in WRX Club Techs
So I have been doing a lot of reading and have decided to build a MOI matched set (or as close as I can get with a swingweight scale). I think I have the plan down but I wanted to post it in here to make sure I didn't miss anything.

Iron Set: Taylormade P790

Makeup: 5-PW

MOI.JPG 47.6K

Comments

• brianmontgomery2000brianmontgomery2000 Advanced Members Posts: 731 ✭✭
    My fitter said a "poor man's" MOI is .4" increment vs. .5" for what it's worth.
  • csufmancsufman Advanced Members Posts: 132 ✭✭
    I'm at .375 (3/8") which should be close enough...hopefully.
  • Howard JonesHoward Jones Advanced Members Posts: 8,412 ✭✭
    edited March 14
    csufman wrote:

if you try to get all clubs as close to the same MOI value as possible with the SW scale, and they are 3/8" between clubs, then its 0.5 SWP as progression between clubs. Just use 1.33 SWP pr inch if flat MOI is target.

0.4 SWP between classic clubs of 4/8" or 0.8 SWP pr inch is equal to a 4 inch fulcrum, or a match as if the point of rotation was 4 inch below the end if the grip.

csufman wrote:

if you try to get all clubs as close to the same MOI value as possible with the SW scale, and they are 3/8" between clubs, then its 0.5 SWP as progression between clubs. Just use 1.33 SWP pr inch if flat MOI is target.

0.4 SWP between classic clubs of 4/8" or 0.8 SWP pr inch is equal to a 4 inch fulcrum, or a match as if the point of rotation was 4 inch below the end if the grip.

Great. Sounds like I am on the right teack to get as close as can as an amateur builder.
  • Stuart G.Stuart G. Members, Advanced Members Posts: 22,640 ✭✭
    csufman wrote:

Is there anything I am missing before I start assembling?

Only very a minor thing - the original increment between PW and 9 is 1/4". If you change to 3/8" increment from the 8 iron - then you could (purely personal choice) keep the PW at 35.5" - and the D5 SW would be about right. Otherwise for the 1/8" increment between 9 and PW that you have listed in the table, I'd keep the swing weight of the PW closer to the D4.5 instead of jumping to D5.
    Stuart G. wrote:

csufman wrote:

Only very a minor thing - the original increment between PW and 9 is 1/4". If you change to 3/8" increment from the 8 iron - then you could (purely personal choice) keep the PW at 35.5" - and the D5 SW would be about right. Otherwise for the 1/8" increment between 9 and PW that you have listed in the table, I'd keep the swing weight of the PW closer to the D4.5 instead of jumping to D5.

Interesting. I was afraid of the swingweight getting to high so I like this suggestion.
  • Howard JonesHoward Jones Advanced Members Posts: 8,412 ✭✭
    csufman wrote:

Stuart G. wrote:

csufman wrote:

Interesting. I was afraid of the swingweight getting to high so I like this suggestion.

There is a small excel app you can play around with to look at the numbers, its METRIC, with freedom to choose what ever play length and resistance slope you like, so do the numbers for both options, test and figure out whats the best for you on that club.

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1751610-metric-irons-excel-vba-app/
  • Twin2LTwin2L Members Posts: 44 ✭✭
    I have built a few sets over the years using the same method your are (3/8" +.5 sw) with very good results. I too was concerned about the higher sw on the shorter clubs but maintained the 3/8" gap and found distances blended well and the clubs never really felt "heavy".

I think you'll be happy with the results. Good luck.
    It matters not what others call you. Only what you answer to defines who you are.
    I appreciate all the feedback. I will play with the excel app and see what things look like. Ill report an it update in a couple of weeks after I get them built and put some swings on them.